Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'NMS Was a Mistake' - Dev Truth or Server Hack?

13»

Comments

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    This is one that is so funny. So at point of purchase of a Big Mac for someone who has only seen the commercials is at fault for buying it and not being happy because it is not what the commercial looks like is the argument that is being used in buying the game. Even though most people I know don't really read the box for a game they are getting at release.

This sounds like someone mad at people who are displeased with something that they bought with different expectations. Life is not fair and humans for sure are willing to unfair in response to what they consider wrong. This is one where the defender and the people who massively rated the game negative. I think the disappointed people had a right to be upset. Point of purchase is one that the box does not have all the information or even correct information all the time. That is a very much something I would expect from a blind defender of justice.

The game was hyped. The game did not live up to the hype. I am glad I bought a different game and could not afford it. I did not care about multiplayer. Glad that people who trust devs get told they are wrong because they did not read the box at release. Sounds like being told that one should wait for games till in bargain bin so will know everything necessary for a game they are interested in.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I never expected the game to have multiplayer, but that was mostly because I didn't think they had the ability to do it. I remember people talking about multiplayer even a week before the game was released, so obviously many people thought it was going to be in the game.

It baffles me why someone would think another is lying about believing something wrong. Usually people don't like to admit to mistakes.

Also, when I typically preorder a game, I usually do it because I know I want to play it no matter what. When I do that, I almost never keep looking up information about the game. I didn't get NMS, but if I did preorder it, I would not have known about the changes that were opposite of what was said to be in the game, until it arrived in the mail and I loaded it up. I bet a lot of people do that.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    It wasn't that it was a feature that wouldn't be included in launch.  It's that they blatantly lied up until release about features and the scope of the game.  They deserve everything they are getting and more.  Not because they failed to deliver, but that they KNEW what they were saying was a lie and said it anyways.  The point being to sell more pre-orders to make more money.  They have been virtually silent since and almost no updates for the game.  They also have not addressed the very valid issues the community has brought up.  How anyone can defend them is mind boggling.  Do you feel sorry for Bernie Madoff too?  
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

SEANMCAD said:

Muke said:

SEANMCAD said:

I am not trying to defend Sony or Hello on this but I have to say the community was fairly trollish about this whole thing

No, he blatantly built hype to extreme heights, admit it, this game was the Holy Grail of gaiming for the next decade as the hype was built.
    Then this game releases, enormous amounts of ppl preorder and buy it, and then the game proved to be a dud.

So yeah, disgruntled players loved to burn the game down.

That's what happens with dissatisfied customers who have been lied to.
    They do not have the power to sue them, so how to get back at the devs?

'Burn the game to the ground and the devs reps along with them.'

let me try to answer your question by asking you a point blank concrete question of which I will hope to receive an honest answer from and said question SHOULD illustrate the point I am making but if not I will explain

Do you think anyone bought the game thinking there was actually multiplayer in it?

You're hilarious. You're just a raging fanbro.

Yes, many people purchased the game thinking there would be some degree of multiplayer experience... because Sean said - on one of the largest chat shows in the US - that there would be some degree of multiplayer experience. Most people won't have seen his later retraction, which was posted in a short tweet and only given coverage on a tiny portion of gaming-focused sites and publications.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited October 2016

SEANMCAD said:

Muke said:

SEANMCAD said:

I am not trying to defend Sony or Hello on this but I have to say the community was fairly trollish about this whole thing

No, he blatantly built hype to extreme heights, admit it, this game was the Holy Grail of gaiming for the next decade as the hype was built.
    Then this game releases, enormous amounts of ppl preorder and buy it, and then the game proved to be a dud.

So yeah, disgruntled players loved to burn the game down.

That's what happens with dissatisfied customers who have been lied to.
    They do not have the power to sue them, so how to get back at the devs?

'Burn the game to the ground and the devs reps along with them.'

let me try to answer your question by asking you a point blank concrete question of which I will hope to receive an honest answer from and said question SHOULD illustrate the point I am making but if not I will explain

Do you think anyone bought the game thinking there was actually multiplayer in it?

You're hilarious. You're just a raging fanbro.

Yes, many people purchased the game thinking there would be some degree of multiplayer experience... because Sean said - on one of the largest chat shows in the US - that there would be some degree of multiplayer experience. Most people won't have seen his later retraction, which was posted in a short tweet and only given coverage on a tiny portion of gaming-focused sites and publications.

I don't recall him ever unequivocally correcting or retracting his previous assertions.  This is partly what is so baffling, to me.  If you are referring to this tweet:

...it was followed up with the tweet I linked to above, on the same day:

To me, this translates to 'No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game, please don't go in looking for that experience -> to clarify: it's not multiplayer because our game world is so large you will probably never run across another player'

Context matters.

In other words, this wasn't a retraction at all: it was a 'let's hope they fall for this explanation of why you can't ever see other players' covering of bases.

If he had left it at just the first tweet, that would have been enough, imo.  However, the follow-up tweet makes it look like he is not backing down from anything he said on live national television; it's the equivalent of an apology-but-I'm-still-totally-right performance.  This was a very bad move, because really Sean's previous statements didn't have a leg to stand on.

The rest is history, as the saying goes.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance