Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Game We Want To Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Game We Want To Play

When I heard John Smedley was leaving Daybreak Games, I suspected it wasn’t to retire. I was looking for a new gig at the time and thought I would reach out to see what he had in the fire. We went back and forth over text messages for a few days before actually talking, but the idea John described to me then, a little over one year ago, was super exciting and set my mind racing at the possibilities.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Not gonna lie. I know it'll be early, and I'm sure rough around the edges, but I cannot wait to play this today.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    It looks like a mobile game.....no thanks.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Excited as well
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    The fact i missed chance at indiegogo makes me sad.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I cant wait to play today either. however its 1030 am est here, alpha 3 is supposed to start today, and i havent even recieve the email withe steam key or any info at all about todays alpha 3 release, ie start time etc. Wich is a little concerning
  • SionedSioned Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited October 2016
    John Smedley is the right person for sure - to run your super excited and with possiblities racing mind into the best dump you could ever imagine.

Sorry John but for most SWG players your name is branded with three letters (NGE) - and we dont forget.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    So, I am confused. It seems that each player will make his own world. They hope the world can hold up to 200 players. So it is more of a solo game that you can invite people to play in your world. That is an odd idea. Not sure I like that, but we will see.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Sioned said:
    John Smedley is the right person for sure - to run your super excited and with possiblities racing mind into the best dump you could ever imagine.

Sorry John but for most SWG players your name is branded with three letters (NGE) - and we dont forget.

I agree, kill the messenger. They're always the ones making all the decisions. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Sioned said:

I think most former SWG players don't even know who Smedley is, or still have a grudge against him because somehow they decided blaming him for NGE. Only the bitter ones do not forget, the really bitter ones.

For the more emotional stable, NGE was an effort to save a failing game and it didn't work out, nothing more, nothing less. Can't wait to play this game and don't care Smed is involved at all.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

CrazKanuk said:

Sioned said:

So the CEO does not make decisions and is now only the messenger?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

lahnmir said:

Sioned said:

I think most former SWG players don't even know who Smedley is, or still have a grudge against him because somehow they decided blaming him for NGE. Only the bitter ones do not forget, the really bitter ones.

For the more emotional stable, NGE was an effort to save a failing game and it didn't work out, nothing more, nothing less. Can't wait to play this game and don't care Smed is involved at all.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

Besides the original Everquest, name a big successful game to come out from Smedleys studio... DCUO? H1Z1? Planetside 1 or 2? EQ2? It is not just the NGE that people blame him for, it is his history of talking big but launching crap. He was surrounded by top talent and had huge budgets and yet under his leadership SOE died and failed to make a decent profit. That is why it was sold off and also why he was let go by the new owners.

Just because some people dont trust Smedley, does not mean they are all bitter vets from SWG
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Talonsin said:

CrazKanuk said:

Sioned said:

In this case, no. He's given targets. I work at a company with a parent as well and our CEO does NOT set all of the goals for the company. There are clearly-defined goals set for the business by the parent, including financial expectations. It's the CEO who is responsible for organizing the plan to meet those expectations. However, there are a lot of people who were responsible for actually DEVELOPING the plans for CU and NGE who were NOT Smed. I highly doubt it was Smed who actually came up with the idea for CU and NGE. The fact that he gets so much hate for CU and NGE actually makes me admire him as a CEO. It means he's taken responsibility for the failure and actually convinced fans that it was all his doing. Guaranteed CU and NGE were NOT his ideas at all. 

Also, HAD the game been thriving, these changes wouldn't have even been up for discussion. However, it's been shown on many occasions that the game was struggling. As we know and have seen in many cases, thinking of you CoH, regardless of how great a small group of dedicated fans are, if a particular game isn't living up to the expectations of the larger corporation it will 1) change to appeal to a larger audience or; 2) be shut down entirely. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Got my "Guild" pack. Just waiting to DL.

Hope server setup is easy and doesn't involve jumping through a lot of hoops to get past firewalls, etc...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    As someone else said it is a little concerning that backers haven't heard anything from the studio at all yet, and the closed alpha 3 is suppose to start today. They do send out random little tidbits of information to backers, but it would be nice to know what time the alpha is suppose to start and when and where you will download the client from. I actually sent them a message asking those same questions about 2 weeks ago and never got a response.

It is very, very rare I will back any games, never will I back what I consider an MMO though. The price seemed right for this type of game and the design is not over ambitious to be able to complete in a decent amount of time so I gave it a chance. I view this game more as a single player game with the ability to invite people to play with me if I so choose. Hopefully they will be sending out some information to backers soon.

I hope that someone like Bill Murphy or other game journalist will reach out to the studio and get some information for the backers.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Looks like somebody got RPG Maker MV for their bday and decided to make a game.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2016

Talonsin said:

lahnmir said:

Sioned said:

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

B/> Just because some people dont trust Smedley, does not mean they are all bitter vets from SWG

Except when they are specifically talking about NGE and never forgetting in their post...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Wish I had known about this game before the IG campaign ended. Either way, looking forward to joining as soon as possible.

mcrippins said:

Wish I had known about this game before the IG campaign ended. Either way, looking forward to joining as soon as possible.

pretty sure early access starts sometime early nov
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    how I get into the game today ? its too late ?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Sigh, you folks still too easily buy into the hype, but it seems Hope Springs eternal.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

itsover said:

how I get into the game today ? its too late ?

Yeah it's to late to get into the alpha. The campaign ended about a month or so ago. But early access will most likely be middle of November.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Talonsin said:

I think the point was there were more hands in the jar than just Smedley and SOE. You also had folks like Julio Torres (SP) and Nancy MacIntyre from LA steam rolling the changes as well. Laying it all at Smeds feet isn't an accurate assessment at all.

As Lahnmir said above, "NGE was an effort to save a failing game and it didn't work out, nothing more, nothing less."

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

LIOKI said:

Looks like somebody got RPG Maker MV for their bday and decided to make a game.

Haha, yeah man!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

Kyleran said:

Sigh, you folks still too easily buy into the hype, but it seems Hope Springs eternal.

hype or not i like what i saw and read and its $15 dollars.