Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Matt Firor Shares Data on the Playerbase

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited October 2016
    I've never been able to get into this game.. idk what it is.

But it does have a pretty good following for sure.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Torval said:
    Wow, that's crazy concurrency. Look at steamcharts for a comparison and there are only a couple titles that hit that. For another comparison EVE has a fairly consistent concurrency of around 32k - 36k as a daily peak.

It would be so fun to look at other metrics and dig through the database.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/306130#1y

If I do look at steam charts I see 4k playing and 8572 all time peak. I also can't find that bump in players in March on Steam.

So my big question is what percent of Steam users make up ESO population?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited October 2016
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:
    Wow, that's crazy concurrency. Look at steamcharts for a comparison and there are only a couple titles that hit that. For another comparison EVE has a fairly consistent concurrency of around 32k - 36k as a daily peak.

If I do look at steam charts I see 4k playing and 8572 all time peak. I also can't find that bump in players in March on Steam.

It never has been many. A late steam launch coupled with higher prices meant it just didn't make sense to play on steam.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:

My guess is that it would be a tiny portion. Especially since every time Steam has it on sale, ZOS does as well for the same price direct from them - Steam ESO offers no advantage at all and some disadvantages (mostly due to the need for activating the steam code on the ESO site.)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Torval said:
    I want to thank everyone for reminding me my account is locked into Steam with no way out.

And people love steam.  Well, except me,.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    OhhPaigey said:
    I've never been able to get into this game.. idk what it is.

But it does have a pretty good following for sure.
    Its people with swords running around chopping at each other.  Something you should try for sure.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    bcbully said:
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:

It never has been many. A late steam launch coupled with higher prices meant it just didn't make sense to play on steam.

Not to mention many bought the game before the Steam launch so no reason to tie it to Steam.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:
    Torval said:

My guess is that it would be a tiny portion. Especially since every time Steam has it on sale, ZOS does as well for the same price direct from them - Steam ESO offers no advantage at all and some disadvantages (mostly due to the need for activating the steam code on the ESO site.)
    Zeni published and sold the game on their own for a long time.  So steam only represents a small portion of their playerbase.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think in that same article they mention a more traditional MMO version of ESO.. I would really like to get my hands on that build. The screenshot used to show it looked really interesting.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Torval said:

While I have all respect for Eve, the game is from 2003 so comparing it with ESO seems a bit unfair.

GW2, FFXIV and TOR  would make more sense. Yeah, those games are not on steam but they are beside WoW and ESO the western top 5.

That doesn't make the numbers less good of course.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IMO their focus should be on delivering the best possible game,however this sure looks like they are constantly looking  at numbers and potential profit areas.Why should they care what the % numbers are as long as each area are making a profit,that is all that should matter.
    They already lied in the beginning with subs and PC users,they definitely turned to face away from PC users to totally focus on a NEW income,the console users.

To me it was sort of a very lame attitude,like "ok we already have the PC users money,let's not care about them anymore and focus on consoles".Personally the lies on subs early on were enough to tell me not to trust this business one bit,enough to actually blacklist them as someone i never want to support,much like NCSOFT and Frogster.Crooked operations should imo never be supported.
    Well i guess on that note,might as well add the crook Smedley to the list as well,that guy would lie to his own mother.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    IMO their focus should be on delivering the best possible game,however this sure looks like they are constantly looking  at numbers and potential profit areas.Why should they care what the % numbers are as long as each area are making a profit,that is all that should matter.
    They already lied in the beginning with subs and PC users,they definitely turned to face away from PC users to totally focus on a NEW income,the console users.

To me it was sort of a very lame attitude,like "ok we already have the PC users money,let's not care about them anymore and focus on consoles".Personally the lies on subs early on were enough to tell me not to trust this business one bit,enough to actually blacklist them as someone i never want to support,much like NCSOFT and Frogster.Crooked operations should imo never be supported.
    Well i guess on that note,might as well add the crook Smedley to the list as well,that guy would lie to his own mother.

Here you go again with your "evil corporation" rhetoric. Seems to be a theme with you.

Isn't there an Occupy movement going on somewhere you can join that would be more appropriate for your anger?

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Loke666 said:
    Torval said:

While I have all respect for Eve, the game is from 2003 so comparing it with ESO seems a bit unfair.

GW2, FFXIV and TOR  would make more sense. Yeah, those games are not on steam but they are beside WoW and ESO the western top 5.

FFXIV is on steam, I was so stupid to buy the steam version  o:)

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited October 2016
    Wizardry said:
    -stuff-
    All that from just some interesting data about how their playerbase is split between platforms?

They're talking about how well the game is doing, how its console release exceeded expectations.

An active, healthy population means an active, healthy game with a solid future. That's good news for everyone, developer and player alike.

That kind of data is good for players to know as well, you know.

Seriously, Wizardry, not everything in the world is some evil corporate scheme, however much you seem to want to see it that way. I don't think I've ever met someone - in real life, or on a forum - who was so consistently negative as you. Do you have this same pessimistic, "everything's bad, everything's evil" mentality in real life, too? Must be a real downer to be around if you do. Lighten up, man! :open_mouth:
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
    edited October 2016

Seriously, Wizardry, not everything in the world is some evil corporate scheme, however much you seem to want to see it that way. I don't think I've ever met someone - in real life, or on a forum - who was so consistently negative as you. Do you have this same pessimistic, "everything's bad, everything's evil" mentality in real life, too? Must be a real downer to be around if you do. Lighten up, man! :open_mouth:
    +1

It is getting bit tiresome, yes?

@Wizardry Tell us where the bad CEO touched you...
    Post edited by postlarval on

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Great info, online concurrency figures are one of the more relevant numbers in this f2p, megaserver world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    So much spin, not that much information. For starters, if you combine your b2p conversion with a sale your active users will see a huge boost because of returning players. Additionally, giving concurrent data a week into console release only tells that they had nice sales on console.

Its about as relevant as f2p games telling us how many registered users they have.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Why us he quoting numbers from March in Oct? We all know that those 7 months the popualtion has gone through who knows howmnay dips. I suspect their numbers right now are where they were, if not fewer) than they were the day before it went live. 

F2P has a double edged effect. Youre not subbing so you dont feel the urgency to log in and 'get your monies worth' but it will cause a short term increases in log in from people who can do it 'just because its free'. The thing EVERY game has had be it buy to plau, pay to play or free to play has been retention. Especially beyond hard core fans or botters or guys looking to use the game to benefit financially in the real world. Retaining actual casual fans has been something no game has been able to do besides WoW. Probably why people still call it the Holy Grail. But even they now lose mass amounts of players and their player base is tiny compared to what it once was.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2016
    rodarin said:
    Why us he quoting numbers from March in Oct? We all know that those 7 months the popualtion has gone through who knows howmnay dips. I suspect their numbers right now are where they were, if not fewer) than they were the day before it went live. 

F2P has a double edged effect. Youre not subbing so you dont feel the urgency to log in and 'get your monies worth' but it will cause a short term increases in log in from people who can do it 'just because its free'. The thing EVERY game has had be it buy to plau, pay to play or free to play has been retention. Especially beyond hard core fans or botters or guys looking to use the game to benefit financially in the real world. Retaining actual casual fans has been something no game has been able to do besides WoW. Probably why people still call it the Holy Grail. But even they now lose mass amounts of players and their player base is tiny compared to what it once was.
    The game isn't f2p of course. I agree with your general point though - except for WoW being an exception. 100M+ accounts means an average of 8M+ lost per year. So no different. Its just bigger and has continued to sell.   

However on the topic of why is he talking about ....... my take is that he was asked - and replied to - multiple questions from day 1 PC release to the recent update. Only a fraction of what he will have said though made it into the article.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I wouldnt be surprised if the player base has doubled since the One Tamriel update. Everywhere is crazy busy even the starting islands have plenty of players ( I went back to Bleakrock.. Forgot how awesome that area looks ).

Having that crown sale at the same time was genius as well.

Makes me wonder how many more will come back / stay once housing comes out and then when Vvardenfel ( Morrowind ) releases. Dang.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

+1

But to be fair its everything is bad.................. .except FFXI
    Scorchien said:

+1

I guess the point of my response went soaring right over your head. *woosh*

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Dragnelus said:
    Loke666 said:
    Torval said:

FFXIV is on steam, I was so stupid to buy the steam version  o:)
    @Dragnelus
    @Torval

If you buy on steam you don't get a regular account?  I have only used steam as a launcher for a few MMOs like LOTRO.  You are not able to download the game and enter account info?  That sucks!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Scorchien said:

+1

I guess the point of my response went soaring right over your head. *woosh*
    I thought he was referring to Wiz's love of FFXI.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson