Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED Skyrim Special Edition Sound Degradation Issues - General News

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSkyrim Special Edition Sound Degradation Issues - General News

Update: According to Kotaku, someone claiming to be a Bethesda employee and who has posted on behalf of the company in the past stated:

We’re currently testing a fix and hope to have an update out next week.

LasurArkinshade has also written that the soundfiles of the PS4 version seem to be of a much higher quality than PC version of Special Edition and even better than the original's. He said it was almost "to the point where it almost seems like Bethesda intended to push out higher quality audio for the Special Edition but didn’t include those files in the PC/Xbox One versions, possibly by mistake or as an oversight. "

The Skyrim Special Edition was released earlier this week with much fanfare. However, SoundCloud user Lasur Arkinshade has posted an interesting audio file the same clip of music from the original version and the upgraded Special Edition version. According to Arkinshade, the sound has notably degrated between the two.

Read the full story here

Post edited by Shelassa on

Comments

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    =(
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i will not even pirate a game i had before,lol.
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    I hear both the same.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Maybe they compressed the sound in order to save file space since the HD textures are going to make the game files huge.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Is this only affecting console peasants or we, the pc master race also suffer from this ?
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I didn't realize this released already. Downloading now. :)
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I thought it had a little less depth to it. It wasn't enough to throw off investing my entire evening to it though. After all, who needs sleep when you have Skyrim?
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Well, age old saying any tech will recognise, if it aint broke, don't fix it. I'll stick with the original B)
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Is this only affecting console peasants or we, the pc master race also suffer from this ?
    There's absolutely no point in getting the special edition if you're on PC. The mods available already improve the graphics and sound beyond the special edition. The most benefit will be seen on consoles.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Haven't noticed anything like that myself, though it wouldn't bother me much anyway. While I'm enjoying playing with some mods, I never did before, after playing The Witcher 3 I loose interest so fast as no rpg can compete.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

There's absolutely no point in getting the special edition if you're on PC. The mods available already improve the graphics and sound beyond the special edition. The most benefit will be seen on consoles.

The biggest change is the client is now 64 bit opposed to 32 bit in the original.
    So no more memory limitations.

When mods port over, they will be able to go a lot further, without being bound by memory limitations.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited October 2016
    I spent a good bit of time in SKYSE last night, I feel it is an improvement graphically; I found it to be instantly noticeable as i had just started a new game on the original last weekend.  I didn't notice any difference in sound quality which i was looking for as I had seen these reports prior to playing. If it is more compressed it's barely noticeable. 

Anyway what I like about this is I can mod the original game to play Enderal while having the SE to play vanilla, no more juggling installations of Enderal to play Vanilla is a nice change.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Really need the graphical mods to come for this. The graphical effects they added make the game's normal mapping look a little worse and dated. Main advantage is a 64-bit client. Also need to make some changes to the ini files as they are using a narrow FOV which can be vomit inducing and turn off god rays completely. The volumetric fog may make ENBs perform badly.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    OhhPaigey said:
    I didn't realize this released already. Downloading now. :)

Keep in mind there isn't much in the way of mod support yet, itll take a couple months for skyui etc to be ported. Also this is considered a separate game so you are downloading an entirely new Skyrim... Not an overwrite.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited October 2016
    Never played the dlcs, cba with all the mods. Downloaded skyrim SE, and it feels like I can breath the morning fog etc!

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited October 2016

New version should be considerable more stable than older one but will take a few weeks months until main mods will re recoded for 64 bit engine .

I will wit for a few months then I will hard core mode Remaster Skyrim only than I will play it ^^ By the way remaster is considerably better than original but it doesn't compare with heavy modded Skyrim .... and I'm interested in heavy moded Remaster Skyrim. Hands down for Bethesda they should have given modding community the client long ago so that people would have had main Mods already re coded ... Big failure Shame on you Bethesda
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

The PC master race doesn't need to waste money on this.
  • ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616

Update: According to Kotaku, someone claiming to be a Bethesda employee and who has posted on behalf of the company in the past stated:

We’re currently testing a fix and hope to have an update out next week.

LasurArkinshade has also written that the soundfiles of the PS4 version seem to be of a much higher quality than PC version of Special Edition and even better than the original's. He said it was almost "to the point where it almost seems like Bethesda intended to push out higher quality audio for the Special Edition but didn’t include those files in the PC/Xbox One versions, possibly by mistake or as an oversight. "

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have around 137 mods and some sets I no longer use like the Jedi mods. I'm still surprised it runs so well with the old and new mods I've added over the years. I wonder if I can run both?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    JeroKane said:
    The biggest change is the client is now 64 bit opposed to 32 bit in the original.

When mods port over, they will be able to go a lot further, without being bound by memory limitations.
    Currently most mods and modded games saves from the original game will not work in the enhanced Skyrim.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Maybe it's my sound card but meh. Not that much difference. Not enough for me to care anyway.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Grunty said:
    JeroKane said:

Currently most mods and modded games saves from the original game will not work in the enhanced Skyrim.
    It's not a huge process to port a mod over, most active mods will be ported I'm sure, many have to wait for SKSE (script extender) to be updated for the special edition though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Hariken said:
    The PC master race doesn't need to waste money on this.
    If you bought the game and it's three DLC packs then you won't need to buy anything.  You already own the new version.  Look in your Steam account.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams