Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"No Man's Sky was a Mistake" Hello Games Tweeted then Removed

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:
    @bartoni33 By tawdry, in this case, I think it's unacceptable to continue to browbeat these people. If, as pointed out, he's had some sort of breakdown, the rampant coverage and continued assaults on the game, the studio, the employees, etc. only exacerbate an already dire situation. Don't insinuate that I meant anything more than that. It's a terrible situation being made that much worse for the rehash of everyone's issues with the game.
    I will agree with you there. My personal "eye test" was always telling me that Sean was trying to be too nice and was never comfortable with all the interviews he felt he had to do. They REALLY should have had a pro doing the pre-release stuff. Someone in another thread somewhere on the Interweb (it's a series of tubes) compared Sean to Michael Scott of The Office: always willing to say anything that he felt someone would want to hear to get them to like him. Very apt IMHO.
    it doesnt justify his approach however I have to say my bulllshit detector was going off pretty much as early as the first article referring to that first video. Maybe experience? maybe blinnd luck? not sure but its not the first time by a long stretch that my bullshit radar was right.

From reading many of your posts I feel that your BS Meter is well used and probably been modified in some ways. =)

FWIW my BS Meter was going off too. But not on the whole project like yours was. Just on some of the smaller things that I knew a small Dev team could not deliver on.

Am I pissed I spent almost $50 (NEVER pay full price; key sites FTW!) for what I got? Yep. Do I blame The Bearded Hipster One for at least stretching the truth if not out and out lying about his game? Sure. Did I get over it? Yes.

Everyone else should too.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:
    @bartoni33 By tawdry, in this case, I think it's unacceptable to continue to browbeat these people. If, as pointed out, he's had some sort of breakdown, the rampant coverage and continued assaults on the game, the studio, the employees, etc. only exacerbate an already dire situation. Don't insinuate that I meant anything more than that. It's a terrible situation being made that much worse for the rehash of everyone's issues with the game.
    I will agree with you there. My personal "eye test" was always telling me that Sean was trying to be too nice and was never comfortable with all the interviews he felt he had to do. They REALLY should have had a pro doing the pre-release stuff. Someone in another thread somewhere on the Interweb (it's a series of tubes) compared Sean to Michael Scott of The Office: always willing to say anything that he felt someone would want to hear to get them to like him. Very apt IMHO.
    it doesnt justify his approach however I have to say my bulllshit detector was going off pretty much as early as the first article referring to that first video. Maybe experience? maybe blinnd luck? not sure but its not the first time by a long stretch that my bullshit radar was right.

From reading many of your posts I feel that your BS Meter is well used and probably been modified in some ways. =)

FWIW my BS Meter was going off too. But not on the whole project like yours was. Just on some of the smaller things that I knew a small Dev team could not deliver on.

Am I pissed I spent almost $50 (NEVER pay full price; key sites FTW!) for what I got? Yep. Do I blame The Bearded Hipster One for at least stretching the truth if not out and out lying about his game? Sure. Did I get over it? Yes.

the 'tell' for me was multiple media outlets acting like the game is the most amazing thing ever without giving any detail, fully disclosing that they knew nothing about the game other than a video of a guy landing on a planet. I knew at that point that it was a PR stunt

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited October 2016
    Torval said:
    Volgore said:
    Some guys from 3DGameDevBlog did analyze the engine and coding. While they have alot of praise for the engine, they stated that the game was nothing more than a demo.

http://3dgamedevblog.com/wordpress/?p=836

Sony blames the media for the multiplayer lie, claims that the "confusion" about that was caused by the hype.

http://pixelvulture.com/2016/10/no-mans-sky-3/
    You're quoting Greg Waste like he's some important expert. He's some dude who write blender scripts and does something vague with FIFA.

Here's a bio from his blog:

Greg (aka gregkwaste), is the creator and owner of 3dgamedevblog, lead programmer, designer and researcher. He’s responsible for all the Blender scripts available from the site as well as most of the other kind of software distributed.

Contact email:  [email protected]

Craig (aka shawminator) is an editor, researcher,  programmer and tester. He has contributed with many top quality stadiums, and lately he is responsible for a lot of software released for the FIFA game series.

Contact email: [email protected]

----------------

I mean seriously. Who is this dude that anyone cares about his opinion or takes it seriously. Is he some engine expert? He's written some little tools and now fancies himself a critical analyst.

That's one of the big problems in this industry. There are a ton of people, insiders and conusmers, who are great at tearing things down, ripping them up, criticizing, and generally shitting all over things others have done, but they suck at actually doing it right themselves.

And since he's telling the masses what they want to hear, in some desperate attempt to keep relevant, they just gobble his knob and ask for more. What a fucking crazy world.

oh for christ sake anyone who has played more than 1 game in their life can see NMS is nothing special.

sweet mother of god its not like one has to be a coder to see it just play the fucking thing

the most compelling feature being this:
    https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/89a9c653a27233a56b8cc7c55e33812c6df5401c/60_0_1800_1080/master/1800.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=17341b7974ec9242a185ed3a21a6a927

SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

the 'tell' for me was multiple media outlets acting like the game is the most amazing thing ever without giving any detail, fully disclosing that they knew nothing about the game other than a video of a guy landing on a planet. I knew at that point that it was a PR stunt

See this is why you are honestly one of my favorite posters here. Your takeaway from this and many other things is "out of the box" as they say. Correlating media hype for a supposedly expansive game from an Indie team into some kind of PR Stunt conspiracy theory is interesting. You really feel that HG/Sony (can't forget Sony's involvement) conspired with all gaming media to hype a game that they knew years before launch was going to fall well short of said hype?

A Hot Take as they say in the Sports Media world! 

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

edited October 2016
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

See this is why you are honestly one of my favorite posters here. Your takeaway from this and many other things is "out of the box" as they say. Correlating media hype for a supposedly expansive game from an Indie team into some kind of PR Stunt conspiracy theory is interesting. You really feel that HG/Sony (can't forget Sony's involvement) conspired with all gaming media to hype a game that they knew years before launch was going to fall well short of said hype?

more or less..yes (the exact specifics of who what and when however I dont know)

why? because I have seen it happen before

also...when someone says 'this game is going to be amazing!'
    and you ask 'why'
    and the answer you get in 100% coverage is a video of a guy landing on a planet with no words spoken it doesnt take a masters degree in conspiracy theory to think there is some bullshit here

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SBFord said:
    Flogging the same old dead horse. 

Next! 
    Agreed. I'd say these poor folks have been raked over the coals much more than is necessary. Their studio will likely go under and probably some will have to undergo psychiatric care to recover from the fallout from a poor launch of an overhyped game. I actually feel pretty sorry for them every time I read another of these tawdry stories.
    With the millions of dollars they raked in from this game, I'm sure they can afford the best psychiatric care available.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    SBFord said:
    Flogging the same old dead horse. 

Next! 
    Agreed. I'd say these poor folks have been raked over the coals much more than is necessary. Their studio will likely go under and probably some will have to undergo psychiatric care to recover from the fallout from a poor launch of an overhyped game. I actually feel pretty sorry for them every time I read another of these tawdry stories.
    With the millions of dollars they raked in from this game, I'm sure they can afford the best psychiatric care available.
    PTHD: Post-traumatic Hype Disorder.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

more or less..yes (the exact specifics of who what and when however I dont know)

and you ask 'why'
    and the answer you get in 100% coverage is a video of a guy landing on a planet with no words spoken it doesnt take a masters degree in conspiracy theory to think there is some bullshit here

Ooooo, do tell. Where have you seen this before? 

I sometimes think it's funny how people think that anything can be hidden these days, let alone something as massive and widespread as what you're suggesting. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

and you ask 'why'

I sometimes think it's funny how people think that anything can be hidden these days, let alone something as massive and widespread as what you're suggesting. 
    does Elove ring any bells?

although in that story we actually had MORE information

how about The Order 1882?

edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:

and you ask 'why'

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Words to live by.

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127

"No Man's Sky was a mistake."

The tweet has since been removed. Below is a picture of the tweet

https://gyazo.com/52400ae5f22fae7d3b699b34b10ee96b

http://i.imgur.com/cWIFf8z.png

Update from Polygon

Reached for comment Friday morning, a person responding to Murray’s email account and identifying himself as Sean said that he sent the tweet.

“The tweet is from me, but somebody from the team took it down,” he wrote in the email. “We have not been coping well.”

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/28/13453440/no-man-sky-creator-game-was-a-mistake

There is a new story out saying it was a hacker.
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/28/13453260/no-mans-sky-hello-games-hacked
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

and you ask 'why'

No, I'll bite, though, enlighten me. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Obvious hacking is hacking.  Why are we discussing this?  From their actual twitter:

“100% not hacked anymore... obviously those mails and that tweet were fake. Back to work.”

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Torval said:
    Volgore said:
    Some guys from 3DGameDevBlog did analyze the engine and coding. While they have alot of praise for the engine, they stated that the game was nothing more than a demo.

http://3dgamedevblog.com/wordpress/?p=836

Sony blames the media for the multiplayer lie, claims that the "confusion" about that was caused by the hype.

http://pixelvulture.com/2016/10/no-mans-sky-3/
    You're quoting Greg Waste like he's some important expert.

Hmm...actually i only said "some guys" from "some blog".

Nothing beyond that :)

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

and you ask 'why'

no..

what is your proposal? that I just got lucky?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

and you ask 'why'

no..

Enlighten us

I'm not familiar with the history of those two games. I can't even find anything on Elove except for maybe a movie and The Order 1882 has a bunch of mediocre reviews.

How are they relevant to NMS?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:

Enlighten us

I'm not familiar with the history of those two games. I can't even find anything on Elove except for maybe a movie and The Order 1882 has a bunch of mediocre reviews.

How are they relevant to NMS?
    I am trying to ascertain the purpose of said exercise?  would any evidence from that discovery alter my original assertion in anyway? if not then why divert?

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

and you ask 'why'

no..

No, I'm saying what are these supposed stories in which all gaming media was somehow involved in some massive conspiracy theory. I hadn't heard of these, and I don't see anything online about it. Probably because it was all covered up by Google. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SBFord said:

and you ask 'why'

no..

No, I'm saying what are these supposed stories in which all gaming media was somehow involved in some massive conspiracy theory. I hadn't heard of these, and I don't see anything online about it. Probably because it was all covered up by Google. 
    unless you can explain to me how said stories valid or not apply to my orginal assertion I am going to have to say you are getting woefully off topic and as a result I should ignore your posts until you can get back on track.

sorry

• AlumicardAlumicard Member UncommonPosts: 388
    ohioastro said:
    Obvious hacking is hacking.  Why are we discussing this?  From their actual twitter:

“100% not hacked anymore... obviously those mails and that tweet were fake. Back to work.”

"Server hacked. We're binging Mr Robot Episodes as quickly as we can looking for answers. Ep05 is a cracker"

I knew the show was good but never thought it could be that useful.

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

and you ask 'why'

no..

unless you can explain to me how said stories valid or not apply to my orginal assertion I am going to have to say you are getting woefully off topic and as a result I should ignore your posts until you can get back on track.

sorry

Your response to the post below was "more or less... yes", indicating it was a conspiracy theory of some sort. Then you gave two games of examples where this has happened before. Now you're playing dumb like you have no idea what I'm talking about. What are you trying to cover up? What do you know? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited October 2016
    CrazKanuk said:

Your response to the post below was "more or less... yes", indicating it was a conspiracy theory of some sort. Then you gave two games of examples where this has happened before. Now you're playing dumb like you have no idea what I'm talking about. What are you trying to cover up? What do you know? 

but the quesiton broken down is this

if I am wrong does it change my assertion about NMS? no it doesnt at least as far as i can tell 

so I ask again.
    If I am wrong about any conspiracy theories on NMS or examples of them then does that mean I just got lucky on predicting the outcome of NMS?

what is the REASON for your question? what does it provide in the affertive or the negitive that relates to what we are talking about?

also: think on this for a second. do you think people and media should have suggested NMS was an amazing game based on the one video they had at the time? because that would be the inverse case you are about to find yourself supporting. 

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

if I am wrong does it change my assertion about NMS? no it doesnt at least as far as i can tell 

so I ask again.
    If I am wrong about any conspiracy theories on NMS or examples of them then does that mean I just got lucky on predicting the outcome of NMS?

what is the REASON for your question? what does it provide in the affertive or the negitive that relates to what we are talking about?

also: think on this for a second. do you think people and media should have suggested NMS was an amazing game based on the one video they had at the time? because that would be the inverse case you are about to find yourself supporting. 

The reason for my question is to establish your credibility as a loon. So, yeah, mission accomplished. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited October 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

so I ask again.

The reason for my question is to establish your credibility as a loon. So, yeah, mission accomplished. 
    I see so if I simply flat out lied on point 2 which was 'because i have seen it before' that can affect item 1 in what way exactly? and what was that position? go back and study it close because its a position you might not want to find yourself supporting actually.

if you need I can recite it again

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I don't know whether this fellow set out to deceive or he just got carried away talking like he got high on the excitement and his own words. I think had they not charged so much for the game there would not have been this much of a backlash but nevertheless when you say things that are blatantly false you have to take responsibility. 

Sony cannot physically force them to say things they themselves were not willing to, it is not like they held a gun to his head. So it is pretty dumb to keep blaming Sony. While it is true you have publishers that are asking you to promote your game but making the choice to lie is with the person who knows the game better than the publishers. Don't tell me they did not know the game did not have multiplayer and was never going to.
    Chamber of Chains