Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft announces new VR headsets

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    Look what I found at the local Best Buy when I stopped in to see if rumors were true: 

VR craze is upon us. Just imagine next year...

it was more of an article that was written by TechCrunch that said 500 stores then it was a rumor

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/24/best-buy-bets-on-vr-for-the-holidays-with-500-stores-demoing-oculus-rift/

but your image says more :)
    ADDED: and for those who havent thought about the math on that, its nearly 10 stores per state

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

I'm sort of a fan of Microsoft. I feel like they've lost their way over the last 10 years, they couldn't quite decide whether to go business, personal, cloud, local, mobile etc. They kinda did everything but nothing that great. 

I feel the same way and I held out hope however the Xbox One reveal is what killed it for me.

I have Windows 10 but that does nothing to sway me back.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:
    Microsoft has done it again. 
    show up late to the party as usual that is
    late with phones, late with MP3, late with tablets, late with search,  just late
    Like many big companies it has been hit and miss.

Late with some stuff sure but it would be wrong though in downplaying the "nudges" that have come from MS. Sound on PCs (pre-soundcard); true type fonts (this alone was huge) ; possibly the first "tablets" on the market (pre-touch screen era, targeted at kiddies); they were arguably 20 years early with touch screen but they kept pushing them; ergonomic keyboards / mice, DX standards  and so on.

And they continue to push. They have a lot of "VR type" patents although their main push currently seems to be AR. Their entry into VR, along with Sony, might make a difference.  
    gervaise1 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:
    Microsoft has done it again. 
    show up late to the party as usual that is
    late with phones, late with MP3, late with tablets, late with search,  just late
    Like many big companies it has been hit and miss.

Late with some stuff sure but it would be wrong though in downplaying the "nudges" that have come from MS. Sound on PCs (pre-soundcard); true type fonts (this alone was huge) ; possibly the first "tablets" on the market (pre-touch screen era, targeted at kiddies); they were arguably 20 years early with touch screen but they kept pushing them; ergonomic keyboards / mice  and so on.

And they continue to push. They have a lot of "VR type" patents although their main push currently seems to be AR. Their entry into VR, along with Sony, might make a difference.  
    its like this

1. 20 years ago MS was the bomb and often released great solutions
    2. Now they just do that mostly for the Business Sectors, their public retail stuff like Zune etc has been suffereing very badly for many years.

Now I am not so sentimental l that I am going to proclaim them wonderful because of fucking fonts while I shop for a smart phones and a game. lets get realistic here

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2016
    Vesavius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:
    The one thing that will retard VR this generation is saturation. Hasn't anyone learn't? Get to a standard asap.
    The high price tag of the Occulus Rift and HTC Vibe coupled with the "smaller" potential market is a bigger issue.

Disagree. If a price war had not already kicked in and a standard agreed a year ago, the sales for a given format would be really very decent, even at the Rift price (for example).

What will kill VR this generation is dilution. 

For software to be made, the market has to be robust. 4+ different formats for a year 1 niche tech do not make a robust market for software.
    For software to be made their has to be a sufficiently high installed base of a given standard - or the expectation of one. The standard alone is not enough.

Oculus and Rift haven't delivered the install base this - 140k worldwide is trivial for example. Price without doubt a factor; availability probably an even bigger factor. No surprise that EA is not making games for them. "Standards" that don't sell "in volume" are pointless.

The console base is significant. And most owners can be assumed to play games - not the case with PCs.

If the MS (And Sony) offerings take off Oculus and Rift will - probably - have to respond by lowering their prices. Especially as XB1 VR will / might - presumably - run on (sufficiently powerful) PCs.  
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Look what I found at the local Best Buy when I stopped in to see if rumors were true: 

I believe it will actually decrease,  it's not hard to find these sets in Best Buy Stores.  But did you get a chance to test it?  Chances are no, because they require someone to be there when you do, irregardless of the set.  

Best Buy is where I tested the Rift and PSVR for the first time,  I tried the Vive for the first time at the Microsoft Store at the Mall of America when I was traveling some months back.  

But this isn't a situation that is sustainable. 
    http://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tech-gaming/game-are-charging-customers-to-try-playstation-vr-and-people-aren-t-happy-about-it-a3377471.html

"games retailer GAME has come up with a system that has not been met well by customers – charging £5 for a 10 minute demo, or £15 for 30 minutes.

If customers then choose to buy a unit, which costs £350, the demo charge will be deducted from the price of the headset."

PSVR has staff that they hired to bounce around to Best Buys during peak hours to demo the units in the US.  But it isn't sustainable and isn't as frequent because the added cost of staff doesn't translate to the income generated per sale unit.  Especially when online sales are generally better due to wider availability. 

Expect the biggest VR push to come at the end of november when they'll spend the cash to have seasonal reps man these things in hope to sell them,  but come January expect it to all be forgotten.  

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Vesavius said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:
    The one thing that will retard VR this generation is saturation. Hasn't anyone learn't? Get to a standard asap.
    Before a standard, you've gotta have a good old fashioned battle royale!!! ala Beta and VHS.

Well, you don't have to, they just choose to. Look at the harm HDDvD Vs bluRay did to Blue Ray... Now amp that up to 4+ alternative formats. No one is a winner, all sales are diluted, especially in what is an especially niche market to start with anyhow.
    Of course you do.  If you don't, it'll just be another sign of the pansying up of society.  Not everything can be hugs and kisses.  

That's anti consumerist old school thinking my friend.
    Actually, no.  With no competition, there is no reason to improve.  Or lower prices.  Once we have choices, the consumers you are mentioning will be the ones that vote for the winner, with their wallets.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited October 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:
    The high price tag of the Occulus Rift and HTC Vibe coupled with the "smaller" potential market is a bigger issue.

Disagree. If a price war had not already kicked in and a standard agreed a year ago, the sales for a given format would be really very decent, even at the Rift price (for example).

For software to be made, the market has to be robust. 4+ different formats for a year 1 niche tech do not make a robust market for software.
    For software to be made their has to be a sufficiently high installed base of a given standard - or the expectation of one. The standard alone is not enough.

Oculus and Rift haven't delivered the install base this - 140k worldwide is trivial for example. Price without doubt a factor; availability probably an even bigger factor. No surprise that EA is not making games for them. "Standards" that don't sell "in volume" are pointless.

The console base is significant. And most owners can be assumed to play games - not the case with PCs.

If the MS (And Sony) offerings take off Oculus and Rift will - probably - have to respond by lowering their prices. Especially as XB1 VR will / might - presumably - run on (sufficiently powerful) PCs.  
    so I had mentioned about 2 months ago that there will be a major push with VR this month, turns out I was right. I didnt make it up, I actually posted articles that gave plenty of evidence to that.

What else have I posted some of? links to news articles saying millions are being invested currently into content. I am trying to hold my tongue but its becoming hard.

About two weeks ago I read that some 100+ million dollars was being spent to set up the 'Pixar of VR' another article that said HTC is about ready to tell people about a large content project they have been working on, another article about a studio being setup with also millions of dollars. This content doesnt happen over night but just like how I explained the 500 stores in best buy and it actually happening, the links do exist.

here is ANOTHER link to a NEW story about even MORE money invested in content. another $ 250million
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/06/facebook-will-double-its-250-million-investment-in-vr-content/

here is the HTC story (I think HTC is up to $250 million in content investment now)
    https://uploadvr.com/htc-working-30-teams-vive-content-well-see-soon/

only $25 million to become 'pixar' of VR they claim
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/18/baobab-studios-raises-25m-as-it-looks-to-bring-richer-storytelling-to-vr/

$5 million for a new studio (although this is likely part of the same HTC money in the article above)
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/31/htc-makes-5-million-investment-in-vr-gaming-startup-steel-wool-studios/

edited October 2016
    Torval said:
    SEANMCAD said:

it was more of an article that was written by TechCrunch that said 500 stores then it was a rumor

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/24/best-buy-bets-on-vr-for-the-holidays-with-500-stores-demoing-oculus-rift/

but your image says more :)
    ADDED: and for those who havent thought about the math on that, its nearly 10 stores per state
    So that's how they all sold out. :chuffed:
    yeah because its not a black hole time portal.

You see October 2016 came after the firing and and hiring a new COO.
    As a side note its also how sale numbers of something that people previously could not buy despite it being 'out' was a little odd to tract but now they can buy them.

See time does that, it makes two seemingly contradictory realities be both true, just in different points in time

regarding that point of two realities being different because of time you might find the show Man in the High Castle rather intresting

Torval said:
    The Man in High Castle does look interesting. It's on the list.
    Season 1 was fantastic I am looking forward to Season 2. Very good show.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Still waiting until someone creates a game I want to play in VR, that will determine which hardware standard I adopt.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:

so I had mentioned about 2 months ago that there will be a major push with VR this month, turns out I was right. I didnt make it up, I actually posted articles that gave plenty of evidence to that.

What else have I posted some of? links to news articles saying millions are being invested currently into content. I am trying to hold my tongue but its becoming hard.

About two weeks ago I read that some 100+ million dollars was being spent to set up the 'Pixar of VR' another article that said HTC is about ready to tell people about a large content project they have been working on, another article about a studio being setup with also millions of dollars. This content doesnt happen over night but just like how I explained the 500 stores in best buy and it actually happening, the links do exist.

here is ANOTHER link to a NEW story about even MORE money invested in content. another $ 250million
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/06/facebook-will-double-its-250-million-investment-in-vr-content/

here is the HTC story (I think HTC is up to $250 million in content investment now)
    https://uploadvr.com/htc-working-30-teams-vive-content-well-see-soon/

only $25 million to become 'pixar' of VR they claim
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/18/baobab-studios-raises-25m-as-it-looks-to-bring-richer-storytelling-to-vr/

$5 million for a new studio (although this is likely part of the same HTC money in the article above)
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/31/htc-makes-5-million-investment-in-vr-gaming-startup-steel-wool-studios/

I just want to update this based on this current thread as well as my prediction in this previous thread:
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7058924/#Comment_7058924

Where in this thread he's basically utilizing one argument that contradicts another.  

On a side note his "prediction" that there would be a huge push for VR in October isn't really as prophetic as he might clain seeing as back in June Sony reported they would be releasing PSVR October 13th. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    It's an emerging market and out of necessity games are going to be tailored around short play sessions.

Lots for developers to learn yet.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Kyleran said:
    Still waiting until someone creates a game I want to play in VR, that will determine which hardware standard I adopt.
    its coming. my bet is on Vive even though i went the Oculus route

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:
    MS needs to be slapped with the anti trust and monopoly clause.

naaa they fuck up too much to be concerned with that anymore.

hey look guys we have a phone too!
    It seems to me that they have made a bit of a turn around lately.  Their Tablet/laptop is doing very well, they're search is much improved, and Windows 10 is pretty good IMO.  They aren't all aces, but I think they stopped their nose dive.

I self identify as a monkey.

edited October 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

It seems to me that they have made a bit of a turn around lately.  Their Tablet/laptop is doing very well, they're search is much improved, and Windows 10 is pretty good IMO.  They aren't all aces, but I think they stopped their nose dive.
    I would not call being the 3rd in line to release VR being much improved or really that impressive to be honest.

I am impressed however with them taking the leadership role on player created e-sport tournaments with Xbox Live, I think that is one of the best decisions they have made in a long time.

edited October 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

Nadella runs things very differently and I believe he has a much different vision of Microsoft.  I don't like every single one of his moves, but I understand them in the grander scheme of things.  

We hear a lot of pushback from UWP and the iPhone and halted android bridges, as well as their "failed" phones - but I believe their phone move was more of a retreat to move forward.  They're indicating that they aren't that far off from very agile mobile versions of windows 10 that are capable of running a lot of desktop applications.

I feel its only a matter of time, that if they stay the course preaching open exchange between platforms while so many others are trying to force themselves into being proprietary, that we'll see a huge influx of people looking towards Microsoft devices. 

Even their demeanor has changed, with Microsoft execs commenting positively on competing companies such as Nintendos Switch.  Who would have ever thought there would be a "Nice Guy Microsoft" 

from what I can tell the MS VR headset is a bit of a cheap version copy mashup of others that are out there but VR is a technology sector that MS should not want to be the only major player not in so its good that they are stepping up.

SEANMCAD said:
    from what I can tell the MS VR headset is a bit of a cheap version copy mashup of others that are out there but VR is a technology sector that MS should not want to be the only major player not in so its good that they are stepping up.

It's actually the most advanced set as it doesn't require additional equipment for roomscale.  No doubt the technical specs will be on point at or above PSVR.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    SEANMCAD said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

I would not call being the 3rd in line to release VR being much improved or really that impressive to be honest.

I am impressed however with them taking the leadership role on player created e-sport tournaments with Xbox Live, I think that is one of the best decisions they have made in a long time.
    I apologize, I didn't state my thoughts well.  I was referring to you'r 'fuck up' comment and how they are improving in a lot of areas IMO.  So I don't think it's a fair point anymore.

Also, I said it wasn't all Aces and don't believe it's all good from MS.  As far as being behind in VR, it isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.  See what the feedback is from the early contenders and tweak your design to avoid some of their pitfalls.  Seems like a smart move to me.... assuming they didn't fuck it up ;
    )

I self identify as a monkey.

edited October 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

I apologize, I didn't state my thoughts well.  I was referring to you'r 'fuck up' comment and how they are improving in a lot of areas IMO.  So I don't think it's a fair point anymore.

Also, I said it wasn't all Aces and don't believe it's all good from MS.  As far as being behind in VR, it isn't necessarily a bad thing at all.  See what the feedback is from the early contenders and tweak your design to avoid some of their pitfalls.  Seems like a smart move to me.... assuming they didn't fuck it up ;
    )
    Best case I should only have to say 'smart phone' but assuming that is not good enough
     I will just say

Zune
     Bing (yes i know its not hardware)
    Smart Phone market penetration
    Tablet market penetration
    Smart Watch market penetration
    Internet of things market penetration
    In fact, now that I think on it other than the Xbox have they ever been relevant in hardware in the retail space? I dont think so, I used to have one of their gaming mice back in the day though

edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

)
    Best case I should only have to say 'smart phone' but assuming that is not good enough
     I will just say

Zune
     Bing (yes i know its not hardware)
    Smart Phone market penetration
    Tablet market penetration
    Smart Watch market penetration
    Internet of things market penetration
    In fact, now that I think on it other than the Xbox have they ever been relevant in hardware in the retail space? I dont think so, I used to have one of their gaming mice back in the day though
     Surface tablet is one of the best selling tablets on the market.

Bing is still one of the more widely used search providers, and cortana is aiding in that.

Microsoft had quite a successful IoT business in regards to automobile integration. In fact, as of this year, several huge car companies have chosen microsoft as their preferred partner, and Cortana is going to be added to many future models.

But hey, you got 3 out of 6 right.  At least until the surface phone releases.

edited October 2016
    Holy Blaz! 

I just read a few more articles that is touting the MS VR headset as if its the second coming of christ all the while in the same article saying 'even though we dont know the specs yet'.

This cute little device could be as good as Google cardrboard, marginally better, marginally worse the PSVR we dont know. This gamer really doesnt care either way, when it comes to my gaming experience I always look at the best option, then work my way down from there based on my finances of which are usually rather good so I am only slightly interested in who might when the McDonaldalization of VR.

that all said, the articles need to tone it down a notch until they have a remote clue what the specs actually are.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    SEANMCAD said:
    Holy Blaz! 

I just read a few more articles that is touting the MS VR headset as if its the second coming of christ all the while in the same article saying 'even though we dont know the specs yet'.

This cute little device could be as good as Google cardrboard, marginally better, marginally worse the PSVR we dont know. This gamer really doesnt care either way, when it comes to my gaming experience I always look at the best option, then work my way down from there based on my finances of which are usually rather good so I am only slightly interested in who might when the McDonaldalization of VR.

that all said, the articles need to tone it down a notch until they have a remote clue what the specs actually are.

Remember MS has been working on this for a while. I think they learned that pushing out tech too early causes issues. It will be nice to see what they can do.

botrytis said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Holy Blaz! 

Remember MS has been working on this for a while. I think they learned that pushing out tech too early causes issues. It will be nice to see what they can do.
    they have been working on smart phones for awhile too.

I think the community here as well as the media needs to turn down their painfully obvious bias down a notch and wait until specs come out.