Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoundBlasterX Giveaway #1! - MMORPG.com News

AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSoundBlasterX Giveaway #1! - MMORPG.com News

MMORPG.com has partnered with Creative for a series of SoundBlasterX giveaways. We'll be giving away a SoundBlasterX H3 headset and two SoundBlasterX AlphaPads each week over the next month.

Read the full story here

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Comments

• TelonosTelonos Member UncommonPosts: 25
    My all time favorite MMO has to be Lord of the Rings Online. It's not the most amazing MMO ever. It has it's flaws. But what makes it my favorite is it's charm, it's focus on story and it's incredibly detailed, mostly seamless and MASSIVE world that continues to be reshaped and modified despite how long it's been around for. Being able to get on your horse and literally ride for hours from one end of the world to the other is pretty impressive for a game of it's age.
  • amazingzamazingz Member UncommonPosts: 6
    My favorite mmo Lineage II is best of the best fun, guild and alliance skills, castle siege, olimpiad, heroes, massively pvp, best monster variety, best craft system, best improvement or enchanting system, best boss monster, best world history, best design location, best backplane, best game engine "unreal engine"!
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    WoW. Because it's the only one that keeps enthralling me.
  • KaiyeKaiye Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Ultima Online was - and is - my favorite MMORPG. Although it's dated both graphically and in general age - it was the first MMO I had ever played and the first RPG I had ever played aside from Zelda! The first time playing with people across the world was fascinating and the uncertainty as to who was friend or foe was always a great way to get me to come back to it. I was extremely disappointed to hear Ultima X was cancelled. That noted, although I've tried other MMORPGs - nothing ever caught my attention like Ultima Online had.

• strmcstrmc Member CommonPosts: 8
    wow because wow.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    OK then!
  • FirbyFirby Member UncommonPosts: 33
    My favorite MMO of all time would have had to been World of Warcraft. I was an officer of one of the top US raiding guilds for quite some time. The guild was comprised of a bunch of long time friends as well as multiple family members, which made raiding a lot more enjoyable. I was also playing the game professionally for money for a few years which was pretty great. To top it all off, I met my current girlfriend (of nearly 9 years now) through the game as well.

It may not have been the best game ever, but if I had never played it I wouldn't be living the life I currently am. Thanks Blizzard.
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    My favorite MMO would have to be Dark Age of Camelot.
    It had the perfect blend of PvP and PvE.
    I enjoyed the way you could spec characters (something that seems to mostly lack currently) to your ply style.
    I have the best memories running with groups in this game.
    Everyone worked together and helped each other.
    Unfortunately, now MMOs just seem to aim for a DPS race to complete group content.
    Players seem to be in it for themselves instead of working together to help each other anymore, it seems.

For me, DAoC was in the Golden Age of MMOs.
    And it was #1.
  • genryugenryu Member UncommonPosts: 13
    My favorite MMO of all time would be Dark Age of Camelot as well. Good pve and pvp. The realm vs realm was nice. Also, battleground was fun, I was able to play a scout full deck out with Spell crafted gears making me over powered. Being able to take out many players while living a long time was fun.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Everquest 1 was my favorite and will always have that special place as it was my 1st 3d MMO. It is funny, I hated it in beta and swore I would never play it but ended up playing for about 5 years. I have went back a few times for progressive servers but it is just not the same as those early days running around East Commons.
  • soulrotsoulrot Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Wow is my favorite mmo. Most content and polish
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Although I've enjoyed most MMOs, the one MMO that always pops into mind is Asheron's Call 2. That game had classes that each (many of them anyhow) seemed to have very different play styles and mechanics compared to pretty much every other MMO I've played to date.

Rolling big boulders, chucking bees, setting up turrets and walls, having multiple types of summons, giving the party multiple enhancements... Many of the classes were more than just "do some damage with a few different graphical effects with a different named style of resource" and "recover health with some different graphical effects with a different named style of resource" that most MMOs have stuck with.

I mean at the base of it all every class in every game boils down to some numbers of X damage/healing/mitigation for Y resource every Z time units. I'm sure there are plenty of other MMOs that do some of those unique play styles (Rift also has some really neat Souls for instance), but AC2 in my mind just really set classes into very different play styles compared to everything else. Or if not play style when boiled down to the actual numbers, the way they were presented, or the lore of it, was different enough to make the classes feel very different.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Shadow Bane - even with the issues many complained about I loved the open world PvP , city building and sieges were great and they had the best races any MMO has had.

• MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    EverQuest 1.

As players leveled, they gained different mechanics; it wasn't just the boring repetition of "2nd verse, same as the first".

Characters performed a wide variety of different services. You had: tanks, pullers (a lost art these days), healers, mezzers, kiters, buffers, gold exchangers (a necessary and profitable service), corpse pullers, and teleporters/summoners. And when pullers were too busy to type (before the days of voice channels), some casters could cast a wizard eye then watch and narrate the puller's status from around too many corners for the party to see the incoming hostiles until the puller was right on top of them again.

Zones were created for a much greater service than to level you so you never had to visit there ever again. Batwings, for instance, a staple of newbie zones, were needed throughout the life of your character if you were a mage.

Zones also included unpredictable elements. Hostiles roamed far and wide, besides those that sat at their usual spawn camp. Big Bad Monsters also roamed these zones, creating instant death and destruction amongst the characters still leveling in that land who were not paying attention to their surroundings.

Everyone had to roleplay to some extent. You talked to characters instead of just clicking your mouse at them until they reacted. You had to type the actual words that you wanted to use to interact with the NPCs.

Players had to have attention spans. The pullers had to make careful decisions about timing and when to abort a pull, and the whole party could wipe based on their bad choices. Mages had to suppress their ego and withhold their heavy damage spells until later in a battle, lest they die from aggro caused by their enthusiasm. Spellcasters of all stripes required patience (as players, not characters), stuck staring at that nearly-fullscreen spellbook, waiting as their mana pool ever-so-slowly refreshed so they could become useful to the party again.

Sure, there was an equally long list of things to dislike (passionately) about it, but that's a different question and answer.
  • knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    That is a tough one, I think I would have to say marvel heroes is my favorite, just love the variety and easy to get in get out, not a lot if time needed to sink into it like so many others.
  • JaxylirJaxylir Member UncommonPosts: 4
    My favorite MMO of all time was EQ. At the time, it was groundbreaking. My first time that I ran from Qeynos to Freeport was exhilarating. Running through the plains of Karana avoiding the Lions, seeing the Highkeep and the Gnolls therein, and having night fall while I was running through Kithicor Forest, I loved it. The trip had everything. Like most things in EQ, it took time to do anything. You had to work for your successes. The Day/Night adjustments were real. You had to find a light source and maintain it to see anything.

Some people see this type of gaming as work and tedious. I loved it. Yes sometimes it took hours to achieve a goal. That is ok. The class specific epic weapon quest took a long long time. The pay off was worth it.

This is the type of experience that is missing in the modern, please-feed-me-success games that are out there lately. Crossing my fingers for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen.
  • maz2usmaz2us Member UncommonPosts: 21
    My favorite M.M.O. is Guild Wars 2 because it is the first M.M.O. I played and the community don't suck.

I need a new gaming headset because mine is going down the Mystic Toilet :-)
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    The original Everquest. All other MMOs can be fun for a short duration or even a great long while, but none ember-up the emotional memories about being entertained & learning of a whole new vast world like EQ did back then. EQ, for all it's negatives which have been learned from but absolutely for all it's positives which have only been more refined, has maintained broad shoulders which all MMOs after have stood upon.
  • HerbzillaHerbzilla Member UncommonPosts: 13
    My favorite MMO is Elite Dangerous, because it let's you take to the stars and experience the universe. Each patch they release makes the game more deep and can do more things. I can only imagine what the game will be like in 2 years.

I hate video games.....

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    My favorite MMO is The Elder Scrolls online because I have always loved the Elder Scrolls series. I enjoy the history and pagentry of Tamriel.

• 190100190100 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    The best MMO is old versions of Lineage 2.

Lots of pvp, lots of pve, no carebear crap. Death had meaning and it hurt. Unlike all these modern carebear games where your actions have no repercussions.
  • MMObroMMObro Member UncommonPosts: 97
    wow, my first and only mmo, it has the lore, the content and just "feels right"..
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Long live Everquest, the best (and most mature) online community I have ever played in. They say the first one you never forget -- and you can just never quite recreate that virgin MMO experience. I would say that's true.
  • TheAsianVillainTheAsianVillain Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Though, there is hardly information around and about Peria Chronicles, I'd have to say it's my favorite unreleased MMO as of late.. But I'll write upon a released title: WoW. To many, it is a title 'better left in history.' To some, it is still the 'king of sub.' Blizzard had done amazing, historical things that allowed for many, countless memories. I've main'd a huntx from day one. There hasn't been a single title out to date that is comparable to WoW's take on the class. Huntx wasn't the only class I've played, though. But, wow - WoW. Thank you for tailoring to every class you have available. I appreciate how much thought you put into tying each class to the community. Tree of Savior can have a million combination of classes, but still can't compare to one restricted class if they can't tie them together.
This discussion has been closed.