Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft announces new VR headsets

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    Phry said:
    Well, looks like Microsoft has pulled a blinder, with the advent of PSVR the PC was in desperate need of an affordable VR option, it very much looks like Microsoft has pulled the rabbit out of the hat, their timing is impeccable too, this could well be the 2nd generation VR device, lightweight, affordable, that will enable VR to become mainstream on the PC. B)
    which could be anywhere in quality between that of Google cardboard to HTC Vive but because of our love of all things Microsoft being infallible its clear we have to assume its as good as an HTC Vive.

did I get that right?

oh and they havent pulled a rabbit of the the hat in a very very very long time

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:
    MS needs to be slapped with the anti trust and monopoly clause.

naaa they fuck up too much to be concerned with that anymore.

hey look guys we have a phone too!
    You're ignoring the obvious: phones don't need a MS-controlled OS to run, PC hardware does.
    PC hardware doesn't need a Microsoft controlled OS to run. BSD, Linux, and slew of others not to mention Mac OS and Chrome that run on PC hardware. Windows programs often need a Windows OS to run them, but not always.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Microsoft would need anti-trust measures in place for VR.
    Yes I know that this is technically true and Steam is trying hard to make Linux a viable alternative, but for all practical purpose if you want to play games on a PC, it has always been and continues to be a Microsoft OS world.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    More players the better.

MS has quite a lot of experience in the hardware business. They've been into it for pretty much two decades now. Force feedback etc. etc. etc.

They bolster VR, they don't diminish it.

This is good news for VR fans

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

You're ignoring the obvious: phones don't need a MS-controlled OS to run, PC hardware does.
    PC hardware doesn't need a Microsoft controlled OS to run. BSD, Linux, and slew of others not to mention Mac OS and Chrome that run on PC hardware. Windows programs often need a Windows OS to run them, but not always.

I'm not sure why anyone would think Microsoft would need anti-trust measures in place for VR.
    Yes I know that this is technically true and Steam is trying hard to make Linux a viable alternative, but for all practical purpose if you want to play games on a PC, it has always been and continues to be a Microsoft OS world.
    the real concern was the windows 10 UWP specifically which as it turns out developer dont want to develop under anyway so no worries.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited October 2016
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

Indeed, I dunno why some people just don't want to see what MS is trying to do...maybe it's too obvious so peeps just can't believe it.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    And what are they trying to do other than provide an attractive gaming platform and sell hardware and software?
    Standardize around WIn10... which, IMO, would be a good thing since VR is in desperate need of standard APIs.... DirectVR?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    For all of Microsoft's sins, I can't think of another company that has helped bring more wealth and opportunity for people and companies around the globe.

Could it have been somebody else?

We shall never know.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Recore said:
    Microsoft has done it again. 
    show up late to the party as usual that is
    late with phones, late with MP3, late with tablets, late with search,  just late

edited October 2016
    this thread is funny.

-yes MS now has a VR headset good for them for following, a little late but no biggy
    -its likely a good one.
    -is it as good a the Vive for only a few hundred dollars? well lets find out by actually having someone look at it for god sakes specs and all
    -have they been lagging tremendously in the consumer space over for more than a decade? yes of course but its nice they are still at it.

in short, MS having a VR headset is cute.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    If the headset can be used on both a PC and the Xbox it will be a big win for MS (assuming it works well). Sony's offering looks great, but not being able to use it on PC is a pretty big downside, especially considering VR atm appears to be a product that appeals most to hardcore gamer/tech nerds.  
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    I never touch anything from MS unless i have no other choice. 
    Ive never had a single good experience with any of their products. 

• knightfall98knightfall98 Member UncommonPosts: 64
    it probably has nothing to to with psvr selling 90k units with four days vive had only sold 100-150k since april... and we havent even seen the numbers after the black friday deals hit. a low cost alternative is what the market needs, then we can worry about higher end vr headsets
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Microsoft might have "released vr late" but it will be more successful than the rift and vive on price point alone.  

It's already a winning formula from Microsoft:

“Unlike every other virtual reality headset in the market today, there will be zero need for a separate room and complicated setup,” 

"“While the less immersive VR accessories today cost more than $500, or require a new expensive device, these accessories will start at just $299 and work with affordable laptops and PCs.”"

roughly a 5 years after the first DK for Oculus and Microsoft and Sony will be on the scene in less than a Year and force them to likely give up the hardware game altogether.     Oculus won't have the high end Vive, or the low end, gear/daydream -- they aren't the most powerful set, or the most accessible set.  Put a fork in Oculus, they're done. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    "late with phones, late with MP3, late with tablets, late with search,  just late"
    They really weren't late on those. They just didn't do successfully with them initially. 
    Phones since 1996, MP3 support through 3rd parties since inception, Tablets since 1991, Search since 1995.

Microsoft isn't making this hardware themselves. Looks like they are making a standard then throwing it out to their partners to build. It's a relatively good strategy for covering the market with a device. It will probably be the best attempt for VR since it's still a small market. It will also allow Microsoft's partners to use the development Microsoft put into the subject which is relatively extensive.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Cleffy said:
    "late with phones, late with MP3, late with tablets, late with search,  just late"
    They really weren't late on those. They just didn't do successfully with them initially. 
    Phones since 1996, MP3 support through 3rd parties since inception, Tablets since 1991, Search since 1995.

Microsoft isn't making this hardware themselves. Looks like they are making a standard then throwing it out to their partners to build. It's a relatively good strategy for covering the market with a device. It will probably be the best attempt for VR since it's still a small market. It will also allow Microsoft's partners to use the development Microsoft put into the subject which is relatively extensive.

well, that ... but also the Surface line of devices have done exceptionally well during a total decline in tablet sales.  They are one of the few tablet hybrids that appear to be exceeding expectations. 

• HyperDevboxHyperDevbox Member UncommonPosts: 4

@dies0mnium Their mice and keyboards are the best!
    But other than that, I agree with you.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

@dies0mnium Their mice and keyboards are the best!
    But other than that, I agree with you.
    Well that and have powered every computer I've owned or operated at home or work since 1988.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited October 2016
    Iselin said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:
    The one thing that will retard VR this generation is saturation. Hasn't anyone learn't? Get to a standard asap.
    Before a standard, you've gotta have a good old fashioned battle royale!!! ala Beta and VHS.
    Which repeated itself with Blu-ray and HD DVD except Sony won the second time around.

But what it reminds me even more of was the 3Dfx Voodoo cards and the Glide API of the mid 90's that led the computer 3D race for a while until OpenGL and D3D took over and wiped it.

MS getting into this? Watch out.
    Yet multiple standards continue to thrive.

Android vs Apple
    Macs vs PCs
    Real 3D vs IMAX
    Playstation vs XBOX vs NES
    Walking Dead vs Z-Nation ;)
    The list goes on....

Will all survive? Probably not, but likely is room for a few.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Cleffy said:

well, that ... but also the Surface line of devices have done exceptionally well during a total decline in tablet sales.  They are one of the few tablet hybrids that appear to be exceeding expectations. 
    The Surface Pro is the best Tablet I have ever had. Love it.

For those saying MS is late to the party on VR I disagree.
    Their focus has been on AR and that appears to hold more practical financial viability.
    VR has yet to take hold in any major way so by them offering an affordable, and just as important, accessible option that works seamlessly with their platforms, is a wise and prudent move.   
    I think the point is that OR and Vive were just the first generation devices, they were never meant to be mainstream. What we are seeing now, with PSVR, and probably with the MS VR option, is the 'mainstream' affordable device, there is a reason after all, why neither the Vive or the OR managed to sell very many units, they were effectively breaking ground for the next generation of devices, and now we are seeing the advent of those devices, they are lighter weight than the cruder first generation devices, likely less intrusive for that reason, they are also more affordable.
    I do think however, that tying the MS VR device to UWP would be a mistake, as there is little indication that UWP will achieve success, the recent debacle with the new Gears of War 4, particularly the problems with multiplayer on PC being a classic example of why its not a good option, so much so that until its available on Steam, it probably isn't worth buying, obviously the Console version is much better.
    Likely MS VR is just the first of the 2nd generation of VR devices, on PC at least, we should be seeing more soon, and that is imo a good thing.
    Cleffy said:

ah I see, not late in creating just late for market penetration.

does that work better for you?

Phry said:
    Cleffy said:

Their focus has been on AR and that appears to hold more practical financial viability.
    VR has yet to take hold in any major way so by them offering an affordable, and just as important, accessible option that works seamlessly with their platforms, is a wise and prudent move.   
    I think the point is that OR and Vive were just the first generation devices, they were never meant to be mainstream. What we are seeing now, with PSVR, and probably with the MS VR option, is the 'mainstream' affordable device, there is a reason after all, why neither the Vive or the OR managed to sell very many units, they were effectively breaking ground for the next generation of devices, and now we are seeing the advent of those devices, they are lighter weight than the cruder first generation devices, likely less intrusive for that reason, they are also more affordable.
    I do think however, that tying the MS VR device to UWP would be a mistake, as there is little indication that UWP will achieve success, the recent debacle with the new Gears of War 4, particularly the problems with multiplayer on PC being a classic example of why its not a good option, so much so that until its available on Steam, it probably isn't worth buying, obviously the Console version is much better.
    Likely MS VR is just the first of the 2nd generation of VR devices, on PC at least, we should be seeing more soon, and that is imo a good thing.
    PSVR is a first generation headset. Its actually a 3/4 generation. more in line with Gear VR.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Phry said:
    Cleffy said:

Totally agree! I think that UWP could kill it. However, this seems to be an issue all around right now. It feels very much like a closed system. I sometimes question why companies make it so easy for Google to just swoop in and make a killing. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Look what I found at the local Best Buy when I stopped in to see if rumors were true: 

VR craze is upon us. Just imagine next year...

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I'm sort of a fan of Microsoft. I feel like they've lost their way over the last 10 years, they couldn't quite decide whether to go business, personal, cloud, local, mobile etc. They kinda did everything but nothing that great. 

However, I recently got windows 10 and love it. Seems a big step up from all previous versions in both performance and usability. 

I'm also a big fan of windows phones. For me, not only are they really cheap, but they look just as good as anything else and the software is really nice. Only thing the phones are lacking is a good app store, but as I don't care about that (I can still get social networking, banking and some games) it's not an issue. 

The surface is also a great device, far more user friendly than all other tablets and really well built. 

Sure, sometimes they are late to the table, most times they seem to be too early. Like someone already posted, they were one of the first ones to get involved in tablets and mobile phones, but the market wasn't there and they (for whatever reason) didn't seem able to create a market. 

So, I'm curious about the VR announcement. It seems a strange move to enter a tiny market that already has a ton of competitors. I'm assuming that they're hoping to gain dominance through price and UWP, rather than simply having a superior product. I don't think they'll have much success with that tactic but it might work out.