Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft announces new VR headsets

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    $299.  hmmmmm, tempting.

I self identify as a monkey.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    The one thing that will retard VR this generation is saturation. Hasn't anyone learn't? Get to a standard asap.
    Vesavius said:
    The one thing that will retard VR this generation is saturation. Hasn't anyone learn't? Get to a standard asap.
    Before a standard, you've gotta have a good old fashioned battle royale!!! ala Beta and VHS.

edited October 2016
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:
    Before a standard, you've gotta have a good old fashioned battle royale!!! ala Beta and VHS.

Well, you don't have to, they just choose to. Look at the harm HDDvD Vs bluRay did to Blue Ray... Now amp that up to 4+ alternative formats. No one is a winner, all sales are diluted, especially in what is an especially niche market to start with anyhow.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I wonder if they will somehow use the Kinect to enhance their VR, making both Kinect and VR cross platform (XB and W10)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Microsoft has done it again. 
    Vesavius said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:

Well, you don't have to, they just choose to. Look at the harm HDDvD Vs bluRay did to Blue Ray... Now amp that up to 4+ alternative formats. No one is a winner, all sales are diluted, especially in what is an especially niche market to start with anyhow.
    Of course you do.  If you don't, it'll just be another sign of the pansying up of society.  Not everything can be hugs and kisses.  There needs to be some blood, pain, lamantation!!  If not this, what.... nov 9th maybe?  teehheee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:
    Which repeated itself with Blu-ray and HD DVD except Sony won the second time around.

But what it reminds me even more of was the 3Dfx Voodoo cards and the Glide API of the mid 90's that led the computer 3D race for a while until OpenGL and D3D took over and wiped it.

MS getting into this? Watch out.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I wonder if they will somehow use the Kinect to enhance their VR, making both Kinect and VR cross platform (XB and W10)
    I see this being really a big thing in the near future (though it may not be the kinect but based on kinect technology)

The kinect cameras were pretty great in general, I think they will have a lot of uses, roomscale could be one of them, but so could 3d imaging. Place 4 in each corner of a room and it could potentially create holographic renderings for Hololens. 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    starting at $299. I wonder if they will start to package them with XB1.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vesavius said:

Of course you do.  If you don't, it'll just be another sign of the pansying up of society.  Not everything can be hugs and kisses.  

That's anti consumerist old school thinking my friend.
    Tiller said:
    starting at $299. I wonder if they will start to package them with XB1.
    That was the plan.  We knew Microsoft was going to do something regarding VR in general months ago as they were stating they would support other windows based headsets,  but this is damaging to their one time partner Oculus who was expecting Microsoft to use their headsets in their VR package.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Vesavius said:
    The high price tag of the Occulus Rift and HTC Vibe coupled with the "smaller" potential market is a bigger issue.

Now that Sony and Microsoft have launched significantly cheaper options aimed at their respective (game playing) console users things might progress to the point at which a standard may emerge.

Might. The Wii Balance Board, MS Kinnect and Playstion Move sold millions and didn't work out. So time will tell. 
    edited October 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:
    The high price tag of the Occulus Rift and HTC Vibe coupled with the "smaller" potential market is a bigger issue.

Disagree. If a price war had not already kicked in and a standard agreed a year ago, the sales for a given format would be really very decent, even at the Rift price (for example).

What will kill VR this generation is dilution. 

For software to be made, the market has to be robust. 4+ different formats for a year 1 niche tech do not make a robust market for software.
    gervaise1 said:
    Vesavius said:

Now that Sony and Microsoft have launched significantly cheaper options aimed at their respective (game playing) console users things might progress to the point at which a standard may emerge.

Might. The Wii Balance Board, MS Kinnect and Playstion Move sold millions and didn't work out. So time will tell. 
    Well, at least not initially. The balance board will likely never have any practical use again, but the move controllers are required for their PSVR games, and the Kinect in some fashion will likely have its place in the greater scheme of things.

http://www.windowscentral.com/merging-microsoft-hololens-kinect-could-create-holodeck

https://vimeo.com/172622153

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited October 2016
    Interesting their pricing might force the others to find better pricing, one thing though for windows 10 only...lol

Hardware that is bound to w10 only?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It looks even more uncomfortable than most other options and is one of the last ones to the market.

At least you don't have to put 200 pieces of crap all over your room like the Vive for tracking and the price is actually in the nearly sane region, although still about $99 more than I want to pay for VR.

Guess I'll just keep waiting.
    Asm0deus said:
    Interesting their pricing might force the others to find better pricing, one thing though for windows 10 only...lol

Ofc... it's MS hardware for the MS OS that they are diving to make standard.
    Vesavius said:
    Asm0deus said:

Ofc... it's MS hardware for the MS OS that they are diving to make standard.
    agreed, and oh, lets not forget, XB1 runs a version of windows 10 now.  It's all connected. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    Recore said:
    Microsoft has done it again. 
    show up late to the party as usual that is
    late with phones, late with MP3, late with tablets, late with search,  just late

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    MS needs to be slapped with the anti trust and monopoly clause.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:

naaa they fuck up too much to be concerned with that anymore.

hey look guys we have a phone too!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

You're ignoring the obvious: phones don't need a MS-controlled OS to run, PC hardware does.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2016
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Asm0deus said:

You're ignoring the obvious: phones don't need a MS-controlled OS to run, PC hardware does.
    they fuck up too much to be worried about it.

Steam runs on Windows, people are afraid that MS will put and end to that, I think they wouldn't dare

and I will be floored if MS ever makes Windows 10 VR content that will draw anymore fans the Forza does

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Well, looks like Microsoft has pulled a blinder, with the advent of PSVR the PC was in desperate need of an affordable VR option, it very much looks like Microsoft has pulled the rabbit out of the hat, their timing is impeccable too, this could well be the 2nd generation VR device, lightweight, affordable, that will enable VR to become mainstream on the PC. B)