Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve

94Z0794Z07 Member Posts: 112

I beta tested Eve and after I wrote bug ticket #100 for myself I gave up and didn't look back. I knew the game would have things like working chat etc. when it launched but was caught up in other things at the time.

Today, however, I am installing the 14 day free trial. I don't know if there is such an offer here at mmorpg.com but I found one on an ad at penny-arcade.com.

Comments

• 94Z0794Z07 Member Posts: 112

Eve is beautiful stunning graphics.

I mined. I completed combat missions. I had to run a few times but was never killed. I trained skills and bought new ships.

I made more money mining than running missions. More money over time that is. A single kill or delivery mission paid more than a single run mining. But there was a lot of flying around aimlessly too.

I found things I wanted to buy and was able to go afk for quite some time as the autopilot guided me safely through 17 jumps.

The new player channel is spammed with people who did not do the tutorial asking the same five questions over and over again.

I think I could like the game except for one thing that becomes worse the longer it is played and that is stuttering. Every few seconds there is a 1-2 second pause.

When I beta tested I was using a 1.4GHz system with 512MB ram and a nVidia TNT running 98SE over DSL. It stuttered then too.

Now I am on a cable connection that is 5 times faster and a 3GHz HT system with 2GB RAM and it still stutters.

For example I could be in a lonely corner of space, inside a station, or in near a crowded gate and in all these locations just trying to scroll an open window is annoyingly difficult as you must wait until you have control of the slider bar start to scroll and then wait as it pauses and then finish the scroll.

The game seems fine but it's not good enough for me to put up with the stuttering anymore.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

EVE has some good things going for it, and I applaud CCP for pushing the limits of what is possible, and putting concepts that have always been in theory into practice.

But EVE is also a game that just feels incomplete, and probably always will.  The galaxy is big, but it lacks detail.  The models are stunning, but there is not enough variety of them (The T2 models are just reskins of T1 models).  The missions and activities are well done, but there is not enough variety.  The basic systems are rock solid, but lacks enough individuality and personability to be connected to it in the sort of "stick to your ribs" way our avatars in SWG, Everquest, UO, and Anarchy Online are to us.

In terms of macrolevel design and player choices in the aggregate, its a master work.  In terms of microlevel design and player options on the personal level, its sorely lacking.  Then again, we have to keep in mind what it is, and what its not.  I think of it as a RTS under the control of nobody.  Think of Command and Conquer where each unit operates independently.  But its no roleplaying game, and its only a virtual life in the most abstract sense.

The sad thing about EVE is that many are there simply because there is nowhere else to go for a deep MMO experience.  It certainly wouldn't be a game I'd choose over, say, a pre-CU SWG.  Because wile EVE is deep, its not rich in detail and variety.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

Well said, Beatnik, well said.

I enjoyed EVE greatly, when my smallish alliance had PvP going on. When there wasn't any real PvP going on, EVE became boring, really boring. Grouping in EVE is different then every other game out there. When you group, you still feel like you are soloing to a point, because there is little interdependency with other groupmates. There really aren't any healers or buffers. If you run complexes or missions together, one guy may tank the spawns, while the rest of you dish out damage, but that's really the extent of it. Grinding isk to keep yourself geared for PvP was not fun for me and eventually burned me out on the game.

EVE has jumped light years beyond beta. It's a very solid game with a really good player base and lots of opportunity. But, it moves much slower than other MMO's.

• Originally posted by 94Z07
    The game seems fine but it's not good enough for me to put up with the stuttering anymore.

My friend bought a new DELL desktop,  a duel core CPU, mine with almost the same MHZ slutters, his is smooth which when you play it tells you, you're a liar, you never had lag before...

so basically, it's our PCs that sucks, not the game :}

I can't follow your almost sentense there.

Are you saying I am a liar?

If so, please elaborate.

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Just because it happens to you, doesn't mean it happens to everyone else. Before you go around blaming the game, why don't you see if other people have the same problems? If they don't, then it must mean it's not the game but something else.

I never said what happened to anyone else but me.

Re-read my post and check this link for words that you don't understand. www.dictionary.com

• Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

Here's 2 words you need to understand: go away. Don't bitch and moan because your computer sucks.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by 94Z07
    I never said what happened to anyone else but me.Re-read my post and check this link for words that you don't understand. www.dictionary.com

You need to relook at your system. A basic emachines with a decent (aka 128MB) GFX card can run eve stutter free with most visual options checked.

You obviously don't have the computer you listed or have a ton of background apps and/or spyware.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

I have no problems running EVE.  I run the game at 1280 x 960 resolution at 75Hz refresh rate with all settings maxed, and it runs smooooth.

The only problem I've ever had was with the client itself - after a year and a half of running EVE off the same install, some of the files got corrupted and I needed to reinstall.  That's not exactly something that can be controlled by CCP.

BTW, stats on my system aren't the best, but they're decent:

AMD Athlon 64 3200

1 GB 400MHz DDR RAM

GeForce FX5700LE with 256mb DDR video RAM (overclocked out of the box)

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• axeptaxept Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Beatnik59

EVE has some good things going for it, and I applaud CCP for pushing the limits of what is possible, and putting concepts that have always been in theory into practice.
    But EVE is also a game that just feels incomplete, and probably always will.  The galaxy is big, but it lacks detail.  The models are stunning, but there is not enough variety of them (The T2 models are just reskins of T1 models).  The missions and activities are well done, but there is not enough variety.  The basic systems are rock solid, but lacks enough individuality and personability to be connected to it in the sort of "stick to your ribs" way our avatars in SWG, Everquest, UO, and Anarchy Online are to us.
    How would you make a "detailed" open space?
    I agree on the models. EVE needs alot more unique ships, I personaly miss having something not everyone with cash can get.
    Missions in all MMOs suffer from that.

I would like to see a personal "building" of ships. Maybe something like Anarchy Online has with there styling on the ships. GIve different paintjobs etc.

In terms of macrolevel design and player choices in the aggregate, its a master work.  In terms of microlevel design and player options on the personal level, its sorely lacking.  Then again, we have to keep in mind what it is, and what its not.  I think of it as a RTS under the control of nobody.  Think of Command and Conquer where each unit operates independently.  But its no roleplaying game, and its only a virtual life in the most abstract sense.
    The sad thing about EVE is that many are there simply because there is nowhere else to go for a deep MMO experience.  It certainly wouldn't be a game I'd choose over, say, a pre-CU SWG.  Because wile EVE is deep, its not rich in detail and variety.
    Well thats the great thing of having so many MMOs to pick from. Find one you like.

• axeptaxept Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by 94Z07

I think I could like the game except for one thing that becomes worse the longer it is played and that is stuttering. Every few seconds there is a 1-2 second pause.
    When I beta tested I was using a 1.4GHz system with 512MB ram and a nVidia TNT running 98SE over DSL. It stuttered then too.
    Now I am on a cable connection that is 5 times faster and a 3GHz HT system with 2GB RAM and it still stutters.
    For example I could be in a lonely corner of space, inside a station, or in near a crowded gate and in all these locations just trying to scroll an open window is annoyingly difficult as you must wait until you have control of the slider bar start to scroll and then wait as it pauses and then finish the scroll.

Sorry, but what stuttering?
    I have 3 computers in my house. The worst has half of what your computer has and runs it with no problems. Not even a hic-up.
    What stuttering?
  • SaftwearSaftwear Member Posts: 124

I would think that this is a ram issue. Try moving it to another slot or reseating it. If all else fails take to a place with a tester to determine if it is still good.

As others have stated, the game runs fine on even my lowest specced PC. I would also check for spyware and adware and all that good stuff.

• SONOFAGUNNSONOFAGUNN Member Posts: 414

I have played EVE with a 1.6 system on 512mb ram with a DSL connection and did not notice a stuterring every few seconds.  In reallly busy systems I will get some lag and drag (only 512 ram after all) .

I would check your system

Witty saying to amuse you goes here.