Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nintendo NX Officially Christened Nintendo Switch - MMORPG.com News

124»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I get it... but the make or break with this thing is whether it's going to be powerful enough.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Nanfoodle said:
    $200 I'll buy it.   

$300 I'll pass.

Cant even get a good tablet for 300. Tablet + controler + base + included game = my guess 499.00 US for base model. 
    https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/21/300-is-the-highest-nintendo-can-price-the-switch-analysts-say/

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I loved what I saw. Will buy one. Can't wait.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Think I will pre order a few, and hope I can sell it with good profit, just like the ps4!

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I wish nintendo would focus more on creating systems that can compete with other consoles instead of gimmicky BS. I'd like to play the zelda and maybe mario and metroid games but I'm not buying their systems just to play those exclusive few.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Focusing on a portable console is a risky strategy. Portability isn't really a high priority for the majority of gamers worldwide, so they have to hope that existing handheld users will want to upgrade to this, or that they can create a new market. 
    Not true. Portability might not be as high of a priority in the west, but in Asia it is. Most Chinese gamers still play games at internet cafes, which is why games like WoW would charge by the hour instead of monthly, until very recently. As smart phone gaming has grown, many people have been doing more and more of their gaming on the run as well. The switch does something that PS4 and Xbox do not, so that gives people who own those systems, as well as PC gamers, a reason to buy it. Everyone that plays video games is a potential customer, that's the mass market appeal of it. I know as a PC gamer I have less than zero interest in anything PS or Xbox is doing, but I will be watching this system when it releases. 
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    jusomdude said:
    I wish nintendo would focus more on creating systems that can compete with other consoles instead of gimmicky BS. I'd like to play the zelda and maybe mario and metroid games but I'm not buying their systems just to play those exclusive few.
    what would the point be to have yet another competitive console that plays the majority of the same games?

You already have 3 choices to play the vast majority of games, in the exact same way.  Nintendos edge, at least as they believe it to be, is their innovation in how you play.

The games help too, but I think that this system could be fantastic, if it works as well as they show - and if it does more than just play games. 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    jusomdude said:
    what would the point be to have yet another competitive console that plays the majority of the same games?

You already have 3 choices to play the vast majority of games, in the exact same way.  Nintendos edge, at least as they believe it to be, is their innovation in how you play.

The games help too, but I think that this system could be fantastic, if it works as well as they show - and if it does more than just play games. 
    On top of that Nintendo has wanted to consistently innovate. I know people think that's a bad idea, but look at what happened with the original Wii. It worked so well that they outsold the 360 and the ps3 at 103 million units compared to 84 million for both the other consoles. The Wii U was a mistake because of the branding, it confused people, they lost most of their 3rd party publishers, but it paved the way for what they were trying to do with this console.
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    jusomdude said:

Well for one, I would actually consider buying their system if it played the same next gen games, instead of an xbox or playstation.

I'd most likely go nintendo if their systems were as powerful as the other two because I don't care about xbox or sony exclusive games except for when the majority of games can't be played on nintendo systems.
    jusomdude said:
    jusomdude said:

Well for one, I would actually consider buying their system if it played the same next gen games, instead of an xbox or playstation.

I'd most likely go nintendo if their systems were as powerful as the other two because I don't care about xbox or sony exclusive games except for when the majority of games can't be played on nintendo systems.
    that's fair, but it's not nintendo.  I remember that every time Nintendo has released a console they've touted how they're bringing back the 3rd party support, but that isn't their way.

They say that so that they don't really "lose" those core gamers.. the ones like you that want the XB and Sony 3rd party titles - but Nintendo has it's primary successes from casual gamers.

I remember how on the Wii they touted how they'll have mature games and how their new partnership with EA will bring tons of games to the system like never before - but they always overpromise and under deliver.  

They know that those that want those big shooters and mature titles will head to consoles already known for that.  Nintendo is playing to their base... the real interesting thing was seeing skyrim... it's just enough to make you wonder "maybe it will be different this time"  -- but mark my words, if you're buying this console, you're doing it for its mobility (and potential to use or play mobile apps and games)  but mostly the exclusive Nintendo games.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    jusomdude said:

There isn't any point......except that Nintendo don't publish their games on other consoles. 

So, if the new console could play the majority of xbox / ps games on it, AND had the exclusive Nintendo games on it, it would be the superior console to own.

If Nintendo allowed their games to be released on other platforms, great. But they don't. If I want to play Zelda, or Mario Kart, I have to have a Nintendo system. That's not too much of an issue for me as a PC gamer, because I can just have PC for most games, then Nintendo for their exclusives (like I do now), but for an average console gamer they have to make a choice of console. 

So, will you choose Xbox or PS4 with 100s of titles?
    Or a Nintendo with 10s of titles?

Most people will go with Xbox or PS for the much greater variety in games. 
    jusomdude said:

There isn't any point......except that Nintendo don't publish their games on other consoles. 

So, if the new console could play the majority of xbox / ps games on it, AND had the exclusive Nintendo games on it, it would be the superior console to own.

If Nintendo allowed their games to be released on other platforms, great. But they don't. If I want to play Zelda, or Mario Kart, I have to have a Nintendo system. That's not too much of an issue for me as a PC gamer, because I can just have PC for most games, then Nintendo for their exclusives (like I do now), but for an average console gamer they have to make a choice of console. 

So, will you choose Xbox or PS4 with 100s of titles?
    Or a Nintendo with 10s of titles?

Most people will go with Xbox or PS for the much greater variety in games. 
    Despite this idea, you do have quite a few exclusives for XB and PS4 as well.  Now, maybe, in the near future, XB will allow more of their games to be played on PC, removing the necessity to have the console, but we aren't there yet.

The support you're talking about is still completely doable with the current system in place.  Maybe at reduced performance in many cases, but Nintendo has always been interested in HOW you play just as much as what you're playing.  To remove it's uniqueness of form to make way for just another powerhouse console that mimics the rest would be a complete reversal of the past 10 years. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Wii sold like hotcakes and its specs were awful compared to ps3 or xbox360.  Nintendo has never really concentrated on being latest and greatest on specs, they've concentrated on being different and fun. So far i see switch being different and fun.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I'm a little underwhelmed by the Switch. To me, it is just a subpar console that happens to be mobile. I rather have a handheld that is able to be used as a console.

There is a difference and that mostly has to do with the titles I play and the 3ds.
    I mostly used the 3ds for the RPG games that aren't on console. The Switch won't play 3ds games, and those titles won't be on the Switch, so I don't have a reason to bother with this system.

It will do well in the East, where mobile gaming is huge, but I'm not too sure about here in the West. I just don't think the portability is that huge of a factor. The 3ds is a major seller, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone out and about playing it. I wonder if people just play at home, like I do. And as I said before, I only have it because of the titles, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Vynt said:
    I'm a little underwhelmed by the Switch. To me, it is just a subpar console that happens to be mobile. I rather have a handheld that is able to be used as a console.

I'm much more interested in it as a tablet than as a console. It'll be the extra tablet features (can you use it for Netflix, as an epub ebook reader, etc.) that I'll be looking for if I do seriously consider buying it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    Vynt said:

I'm much more interested in it as a tablet than as a console. It'll be the extra tablet features (can you use it for Netflix, as an epub ebook reader, etc.) that I'll be looking for if I do seriously consider buying it.
    A friend of mine plays Warframe and many other pc games on his tablet.
    I've had an iPad since they first came out and I have played a few games on it but I find the touch control interface awkward for most games. I know that there are control gizmos you can use with all tablets to make them a bit more game friendly but I've never bothered looking into them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    It's not a question of how much this hardware costs or what the consumer value is.  If they want mass market penetration (at least in the US) they need to be under $300, preferably close to $200.  They go past that and this will be destined to be a niche gaming system in the US.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    mansaya said:
    In any case great ingenious all these tricks to maker this console hybrid, really. Good after it's still too early to judge, it is a "new" technology, so to follow.
    You took the words right out of my mouth!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018