Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lousy VR games on PS

psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
Bought all the games available at the moment and Eve is the only one I'd call a game.

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I kind of lucked out with the Note 7 recall.  I bought quite a few games and experiences for my Gear, and now with the recall Oculus is allowing all note 7 users to get full refunds on their games, and i plan on getting full refunds across all of them.  It's too bad the games I've used with Vridge that I've purchased on the Oculus and Steam stores can't get refunds too, I barely played any of them for very long.

The vast majority are as you say, not really games, and the PSVR is certainly a more powerful system.  I plan on waiting several months before I decide if I'll pick it up, especially since many of the reviews are similar to what you say here.

That, and Daydream releases very soon, so I'll likely migrate my support from Gear VR to phones that support daydream as well.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Well, that didn't take long  =)

I can only speak for myself, but on Gear VR I am really enjoying around half the games I'm playing. In particular, Jump, Dreadhalls, Minecraft, Eve Gunjack, Dead Secret, Land's End (although this one is short), Annie Amber, and Quake (sideloaded).

I certainly don't regret the purchase in the least, and I feel that I've more than gotten my money's worth, price of the phone included. 

Important to note that Annie Amber and Land's End aren't exactly "games", although Land's End kind of has a Myst thing going on, and I don't mean this in a bad way. There are also lots of free experiences that are clearly works in progress, some of which show potential. The Dream Dimension was one I recently tried that had some shortcomings but also managed to be memorable and interesting. It reminded me a lot of C.S. Lewis' The Magician's Nephew, strikingly so, in fact. 

Some of the most compelling experiences aren't even games. Not exaggerating when I state that my first dive into Nomads last night nearly brought me to tears. I can already feel it beginning to change the way I look at the world, in terms of human connection. 

The "Mr. Robot" short on the Within app was also really artfully done, and entertaining. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Cant you play FPS games using a gun or something?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    This is just the beginning so I'm happy plus I have my PS4 and PC, happy days. 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    If they don't make some good games we will see VR go back down the toilet again.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    psiic said:
    Bought all the games available at the moment and Eve is the only one I'd call a game.
    EVE is not on VR. eve valkyrie however is, and its a shitty game in my view.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

filmoret said:
    If they don't make some good games we will see VR go back down the toilet again.
    I predict and I have predicted for awhile now that the 'good games' will not be coming for 3 years post the release date of Vive. I have explain why I predict this many times and I will be more than happy to again however my stance and my reasoning is not up for debate or discussion

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:
    I predict and I have predicted for awhile now that the 'good games' will not be coming for 3 years post the release date of Vive. I have explain why I predict this many times and I will be more than happy to again however my stance and my reasoning is not up for debate or discussion

If that's the case what's the point in buying into VR now.  You would be better of waiting for three years for the good games to come out and hopefully by then the VR systems should be more powerful and cheaper.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:
    Do you think VR will survive 3 years without any good games?

I think I missed your reasoning behind the 3 years as well. Do you think there will be a fundamental change in hardware in the 3 years? Or will it be the price dropping over 3 years, leading to more purchases and thus more willingness by developers to build games for VR? Or is it just that it will take 3 years for developers to not only understand how to best utilise VR, but then build a AAA game too?
    edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

I think I missed your reasoning behind the 3 years as well. Do you think there will be a fundamental change in hardware in the 3 years? Or will it be the price dropping over 3 years, leading to more purchases and thus more willingness by developers to build games for VR? Or is it just that it will take 3 years for developers to not only understand how to best utilise VR, but then build a AAA game too?
    despite what is considered 'top tier' titles like Call of Duty already having VR DLC out for most developers it does take 3 years to develop a game and if they were smart they did not start the development while the first retail version was still in development if they were even lucky enough to have to full API specs in a condition that was not literally changing every week.

Can VR handle the wait? yes.
    why?
     1. because BILLIONS of dollars are invested currently in content and that money is currently being spent in said projects.
    2. at least Oculus (and likely others) have stated they plan to make NO MONEY ON THE HARDWARE but all in the software and apps. So the revenue stream for VR is well known already to be coming later not now and all the finical expectations are revolving around that expectation.
    3. VR already has more games then any first generation console ever had and YES some of the are in fact full blown deep games, you just arent aware of it because the marketing dollars havent told you that should consider them as such. what you are looking for is an advertisement to TELL you that the game in important and deep. Games like Esper2 doesnt tell you that but it is in fact a full force actual real game.

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

It's wishful thinking, that is basically all it is.  Development kits for VR have already been out for 4 years.  How long are console dev kits out before launch you might ask - well look at it this way,  Nintendos new console devkit release about a YEAR ago.  That being said there are about 10 AAA games set to release when the console is ready to go.

Granted one of them is a port,  and three of them are first party titles, but still. 

XBox shipped their XB1 console development kit around june of 2012, and the console released November of 2013... so again.. just a bit more than a years worth of development and launched with about 20 or so games, some of which were huge triple A releases like battlefield 4 and Call of Duty, Fifa and Forza.

VR has had years of development. There is really no excuse why development has been so slow with VR in general.  The hardware game has been lively, but the biggest influx of VR users happens to be in the entertainment space rather than the gaming space, and entertainment doesn't require $700+ sets.

In 3 years from now, sure we might see some AAA games... mostly ports I'd assume.  We already have several ports of VR games - even mobile games as VR ports.  

It isn't gaining as much traction, with extremely poor adoptions ratings simply because for mass market consumers, it's just not worth it.   Especially when you can get a cardboard-like set for free or a gear VR set for 50 bucks.  Not to mention daydreams headset is about 70 bucks and comes with a controller. 

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

VR has some "good" games; I'm tempted to say "plenty". However, there may not be that AAA blockbuster like BioShock some are looking for. 

Yes, I think VR will survive for 3 years without it. #remindme 

The following is a pretty good article on the ins and outs of current VR headsets:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/10/best-vr-headset-2016-psvr-rift-vive/

By the way, I hear with Asynchronous Space Warp the overall entry price for a Rift + PC has taken a dive from $1,600 to $1,100, and that tech is less than a year old as a consumer product.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

VR has some "good" games; I'm tempted to say "plenty". However, there may not be that AAA blockbuster like BioShock some are looking for. 

The following is a pretty good article on the ins and outs of current VR headsets:

By the way, I hear with Asynchronous Space Warp the overall entry price for a Rift + PC has taken a dive from $1,600 to $1,100, and that tech is less than a year old as a consumer product.
    purportedly due to googles daydream sets and samsungs upcoming sets, Oculus is now trying to match them, stating that within the next couple years they too will release a set that doesn't require such stringent system specs, without the wires as well. 

I mean if you take into consideration that PSVR can utilize a PS4,  the system specs across the board for these PC's is insane.  Strangely enough a comparable PC to a PS4 is roughly in that 500 dollar range.   Unfortunately once motion controllers release for Rift, we're looking at the possibility of the sets increasing in price nominally despite them stating they'll actually drop the headset price to accommodate the new controllers. 

The real shame is for those that already bought the headsets, as they won't get the reduced set price, which, by current estimates, would make the Rift more expensive than the vive for early adopters for comparable systems. (meaning with motion controls) 

SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

plus as a sightly different topic but does apply here there are plenty of games that are outstanding and in some case even better in all aspects then the big blockbuster hits.
    People wait (and I know this because I used to be one of these people) for validation of a game from marketing with the believe (same believe I had) that if a game has millions to spend on advertising then its proof positive that the game must be outstanding.
    So unfortunately people are simply waiting for 'big blockbuster' validation which is NOT in my experience dependent on actual quality

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    I actually thought Dead Secret was quite good for GearVR.
    I actually thought Dead Secret was quite good for GearVR.
    Esper 2 is very good as well.

I dont like puzzle games myself but I see the value and had plenty of fun with Esper 2

edited October 2016
    Basically one can not expect 24 hours after an announcement like this (below) to then have content.
    https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/18/baobab-studios-raises-25m-as-it-looks-to-bring-richer-storytelling-to-vr/

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Quit crying! It's new tech. Give it some damn time. Jesus! If you wanna bitch that soon after a new hardware release then wait a year before you make a purchase.

Quit crying! It's new tech. Give it some damn time. Jesus! If you wanna bitch that soon after a new hardware release then wait a year before you make a purchase.
     "VR" has been out commercially since google cardboard and gear VR which released with the Note 5/S6.  Development kits for the Rift have been out since 2013.  

PSVR has had at least a year for development.  VR in general just doesn't really have as much support as was originally believed. 

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    you guys are kidding yourselves if you think games will drive VR development. FBook didnt buy occulus bc it wants to corner the market on VR games. VR has much more important and potentially valuable uses in the real world. Games are just a fun and interesting by-product.
    you guys are kidding yourselves if you think games will drive VR development. FBook didnt buy occulus bc it wants to corner the market on VR games. VR has much more important and potentially valuable uses in the real world. Games are just a fun and interesting by-product.
    I agree partially...  in a recent survey of what consumers that know about VR would want to use it for, games was last on the list.  The first was travel, second was entertainment. 

As for productivity, AR will most assuredly be the future.  Magic Leaps new patents show some pretty interesting visions for the future of the workplace. 

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

plus as a sightly different topic but does apply here there are plenty of games that are outstanding and in some case even better in all aspects then the big blockbuster hits.
    People wait (and I know this because I used to be one of these people) for validation of a game from marketing with the believe (same believe I had) that if a game has millions to spend on advertising then its proof positive that the game must be outstanding.
    So unfortunately people are simply waiting for 'big blockbuster' validation which is NOT in my experience dependent on actual quality
    Its an issue of trust, between the consumer and the vendor. 

As a consumer, I can already play 1000s of games on existing consoles and pcs. I actually bought an Xbox 1 S this month for £250, so it's a pretty cheap entry price for the average gamer and you have assurances (based on past experiences, marketing and word of mouth) that you are going to get good stuff. 

When it comes to VR, that trust is lacking. 

Past experiences tell us these sorts of products usually fail, so most of us are wary. Marketing is telling us that we'll be "in" the games, but that doesn't mean much to us. Word of mouth is extremely mixed - most people I know who have used VR didn't like it, myself included. 

So, we're waiting for something that helps us "get it". Usually, that would be a AAA title making full use of the new technology to demonstrate it's superiority over other gaming platforms. So far, we haven't got that. So far as we know, there isn't even anything on the horizon. Maybe you know personally as you're invested in the scene and follow it, but for Mr Joe Public, the information is non-existent. 

Essentially, we're waiting a game that:
    • Uses 3D to improve gameplay
    • Uses motion-tracking to improve gameplay
    Those are the two unique features of VR, but neither have been shown to improve gameplay yet. I've been wracking my brain to think up examples for months, but can't come up with any myself, so I'm reliant on developers to explain it to me. Nobody on these forums has been able to provide me with examples either, despite me asking for months. 

So, what gameplay is possible with a VR headset that isn't possible with a standard gaming platform?
    edited October 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

Its an issue of trust, between the consumer and the vendor. 

hold on there cowboy!!!! COD 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 with some Serious Sam and some Starwars Battfield Front with some Battlefield sprinkled on top are EXACTLY the ones I DONT trust. which is the point I am making around marketing. sorry to tell you but indies are doing EXTREEMLY well per developer and very often put games like NMS to fucking shame in quality as well as sales per dollar invested by firms. so not for this cat. It is has I had illustrated and I know this because I used to think exactly that way, I used to drink the koolaid and I know its horsehit.

also AAA companies typically FOLLOW the indies, not the other way around. they are usually late to the game, not early

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    filmoret said:

Essentially, we're waiting a game that:
    • Uses 3D to improve gameplay
    • Uses motion-tracking to improve gameplay
    Those are the two unique features of VR, but neither have been shown to improve gameplay yet. I've been wracking my brain to think up examples for months, but can't come up with any myself, so I'm reliant on developers to explain it to me. Nobody on these forums has been able to provide me with examples either, despite me asking for months. 

So, what gameplay is possible with a VR headset that isn't possible with a standard gaming platform?
    Vendetta Online - it's like a brand new game:

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I chuckled when somebody said "it's new tech".
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯