Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easing the Steep Learning Curve - The New Player Experience

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageEasing the Steep Learning Curve - The New Player Experience

EVE Online News - It's no secret that the EVE Online learning curve for new players is a steep one. A new post on the EVE Online site discusses forthcoming changes to the system that will arrive on November 8th with the Ascension update. The new player experience even got its own spiffy name: Inception.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Good for them! MMOs always need new players otherwise the existing player base whittles away until the game dies. I just hope the existing grievers don't start preying on "noobes" again.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    They'd be better served if they taught new players how to avoid CODE, trade hub ganking, war decs and general survival techniques IMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I would really love to see new players start out in a special area that is off limits to veteran players.  They would have tutorial missions for mining, trading, ratting and pvp that would cover the bad things.  For example, start them out in a hulk with a discussion on optimal mining fits and send them to a specific system to mine, then have an NPC suicide gank them, then spawn them in a skiff and and discuss a tanking fit and send them back to try it again, only this time use what they were taught, align to station, watch local and for ships coming into the roid field.

Show them the contract system and what to look for and how not to get scammed, show them how to warp out of a trade hub to a safe spot.  Like Kyleran said, show them how to survive.  That is what the new player experience needs.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    The game is boring. Not much can really address that. And unfortunately a new player experience isn't going to be enough to stop the game from hemorrhaging subscriptions at this point. The actual population of the game continues to decline and most "people" you see are actually 1 of 5+ multiboxes. No one wants to join an 11-year old game with surviving as their only goal. And actual, rewarding progression takes too long and involves too much feeding of the long-established whales.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Step in the right direction. One thing missing from the bullet points;
    *New players will receive auto invites from CCP approved new players training Corporations.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Sadly the game lost its charm when I was told in PvP that everyone becomes a pirate eventually. This game naturally lures griefers, multiboxers, and minmaxers who tweak the system for that 3% advantage you dont know about. The biggest news items are always about how someone was ripped off/had things stolen or some other political backstabing. I mean I guess thats fun for some people.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited October 2016
    Zaltark said:
    Sadly the game lost its charm when I was told in PvP that everyone becomes a pirate eventually. This game naturally lures griefers, multiboxers, and minmaxers who tweak the system for that 3% advantage you dont know about. The biggest news items are always about how someone was ripped off/had things stolen or some other political backstabing. I mean I guess thats fun for some people.
    Hmm, so basically, with the possible exception of training up the next generation of bandits and pirates (IE, new players), there aren't many ways to be a good guy in Eve in the end game, huh?
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Kyleran said:
    They'd be better served if they taught new players how to avoid CODE, trade hub ganking, war decs and general survival techniques IMO.
    Vets would cry.
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

goboygo said:

Kyleran said:

Vets would cry.

TBH as a Vet I would not mind seeing CODE getting a nerf to suicide ganking, its a pretty one trick pony sort of playstyle and only serves to reduce new player pop since they don't distinguish between 6 month old miners and 6 year old miners.