Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, what's going on with the Repopulation?

13»

Comments

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173

As the MMORPG the game is dead.  Their little newletter stated they themselves have abandoned the mmorpg but the door is open to any third party options to take the mmorpg to market...which wont happen because no one is investing in mmorpgs its a dead genera.

Instead you get survival crafter game in alpha #23459 on steam. forget what they call it.

Basically the mmorpg needed to be ported to a real game engine which turned into creating a survival sandbox because it was feasible.  So unless they get investors to pay for the full port into unreal its a dead mmorpg.  This is extremely unlikely.

I doubt even if the survival sandbox game on steam does well (it wont) they will ever attempt to make the mmorpg again, and they will not be getting investors to do this. 

So shove this game in the category of "games that the mmorpg genera needed to stay alive  that got canceled" with EQN, Titan, ect

enjoy the mmorpgs that are there, relish the good ones that are made new when it happens, the days of hating mmorpgs for not being flawless are over we don't have a new AAA game hitting market every 6 months anymore, well be lucky if a handful make it to launch in the next 5 years.  I'm sure more existing ones will shut down in that time frame than are made new.

were all worried about games that are dead or dying but were missing the forest for the trees here.  mmorpgs are dead...jim

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

As the MMORPG the game is dead.  Their little newletter stated they themselves have abandoned the mmorpg but the door is open to any third party options to take the mmorpg to market...which wont happen because no one is investing in mmorpgs its a dead genera.

Instead you get survival crafter game in alpha #23459 on steam. forget what they call it.

Basically the mmorpg needed to be ported to a real game engine which turned into creating a survival sandbox because it was feasible.  So unless they get investors to pay for the full port into unreal its a dead mmorpg.  This is extremely unlikely.

I doubt even if the survival sandbox game on steam does well (it wont) they will ever attempt to make the mmorpg again, and they will not be getting investors to do this. 

So shove this game in the category of "games that the mmorpg genera needed to stay alive  that got canceled" with EQN, Titan, ect

enjoy the mmorpgs that are there, relish the good ones that are made new when it happens, the days of hating mmorpgs for not being flawless are over we don't have a new AAA game hitting market every 6 months anymore, well be lucky if a handful make it to launch in the next 5 years.  I'm sure more existing ones will shut down in that time frame than are made new.

were all worried about games that are dead or dying but were missing the forest for the trees here.  mmorpgs are dead...jim

Did they actually say that the MMORPG was dead? Because from what I got in the email it said that they were redeveloping it and they just released this survival crafting thing to bring in income and tide people over while they rework it into the UE engine (I think is what they were using, maybe it was cry engine but pretty sure it was UE). I never saw anything saying that they weren't continuing until third party options were available. 

Here is the quote from the press release that I found

"We also want to stress that The Repopulation is going to continue and that Fragmented will serve as the base for the Unreal Engine version of The Repopulation. This will allow us to have a released product on our hands and a tested one as well to start from as a foundation for The Repopulation. Once The Repopulation is ready to open up again everyone that has access now will be notified and server access will resume."
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=216&t=11259&start=100#p119805

They intend to have something "playable" later this year.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Basically they took our money and said F-U, the Fragmented game they replaced it with is awful, this game is DEAD