Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Incomplete Crusade - Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade Review

2»

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Imo this was the most bold bait and switch I've seen when it came down to founder packs. What was originally sold(founder packs on their site) as an open world MMO became a lobby shooter - wtf?
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    I really want a 40k MMO also.

I really really had to resist buying this one early.

I really really really am glad I resisted. But sad at the same time, I was hoping it would come out be awesome and I'd be racing to join in asap.

• TheRabidsmurfTheRabidsmurf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    If only it was still in alpha in heavy development. Oh by steely wipples of lore, may the name WH40K stand strong.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited October 2016
    Space Hulk: Deathwing cost me about $30. Based on screenshots alone (ignoring all the awesome videos and such showing it off), that game was money better spent than the $80 I spent on this bait and switch POS. It's garbage, and I hope the offices of Behaviour Interactive get raided by the Inquisition. Or Orks. Or Tyrannids. Or Dark Eldar. Better yet, by all of those.

POS game and a POS company full of xenos and heretics. By bolter, plasma, laser, and flame, let them be purified in the Emperor's name!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    I really feel sorry for the folks that invested $$'s in this steaming pile.... I do hope charge backs will happen... Studio's that push this kind of shit shouldn't exist !
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Such a shame, but also not a surprise. Why does it seem to be so hard to create a good 40k game? Or a good warhammer game?

The lore is incredibly strong, there are so many awesome things to pull from. But, GW seem to keep selling their IP to shit developers. At least Creative Assembly did TW:W right, but we're still missing a decent RPG or MMO, or even a decent shooter!

Surely someone like Activision or Ubisoft could basically just apply the WH IP to one of their games? Imagine call of duty, but with a w40k skin!! Or Assassins creed in a warhammer setting.

Maybe games workshop just needs to die so that the IP can become free to use.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I'm so glad I didn't become a founder in this. I was so close to getting the 200 pack lol. I guess we'll just never get a good warhammer 40k game /cry
  • xeraxxerax Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Games Workshop. nuff said. While they have some great creatives but the company has been screwing fans for 20+ years. How many GW licensed titles have their been that have been total rubbish / shoddy / missed opportunity etc. Frankly i was stunned when warhammer total war was actually pretty good. Is suspect that had alot to do with the warhammer fan mod for ROME 1 being so good.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    It's really sad to look back at the promises and hype they made for this game when first talking about it. If they could have made the game that was pitched to players then I believe it would most likely have filled the whole that warhammer players are looking for. This was nothing but a cash grab to release what they had worked on and move on. I am so glad that I stayed off the hype train and didn't buy one of those founder packs when they were pushing them. Even not keeping the orks as f2p was an idiot move. The game already was going to have a very low playerbase, because of the in progress reviews while it was being developed, and the constant cutting of features. Maybe one day a competent development team will actually get the rights to warhammer ip and make a game that will survive.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I gotta admit, I got caught up in the 40k and the bling.  Looked really neat and went ahead and bought.  Sadly, it wasn't until a good 30 or 40 minutes before I realized that this was not the one.

I self identify as a monkey.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I just avoid any game that has the Games Workshop stamp  on it.  They are impossible to work with and basically destroy anything they touch.  
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Ozmodan said:
    I just avoid any game that has the Games Workshop stamp  on it.  They are impossible to work with and basically destroy anything they touch.  
    I don't agree.  I'd say they're 50/50.  Total War Warhammer is very fun and I really enjoyed WaR.  This one sucks.

I self identify as a monkey.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Ozmodan said:
    Whilst I agree in general, I query how much impact GW actually has. 

GW control the lore, so they're pretty strict on that front, but all devs know that going into the project and so should plan their games accordingly. Yet, there is a lot of variation in gameplay and styles across all the GW computer games so I get the impression it is only the lore where they put their foot down. 

To me, it just seems like big devs avoid GW. The vast majority of games get made by small studios or indies, resulting in low quality games. That would be the same regardless of IP. Total Warhammer was actually great, but that was done by a big studio building on an existing framework. 

Now, GW does have a strong history of being money-grabbing bastards, so perhaps big devs avoid them because GW decide to massively overcharge for usage of the IP. Maybe if they made the license fee free and just took a small % cut of every sale some of the bigger devs would get involved. 
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

DMKano said:

I feel for Nathan Richardson - once again he was put on a project that was pretty much mission impossible from the start.

They are jobs he accepts. No one is forcing him to do it.

For the readers that pointed out that 5 is average, it's not.

The game got a 4.8. By our scale that's Hopeless. You can see that on the mobile site. Doesn't look like you can from the regular site anymore.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Grakulen said:

DMKano said:

I feel for Nathan Richardson - once again he was put on a project that was pretty much mission impossible from the start.

They are jobs he accepts. No one is forcing him to do it.

For the readers that pointed out that 5 is average, it's not.

The game got a 4.8. By our scale that's Hopeless. You can see that on the mobile site. Doesn't look like you can from the regular site anymore.
    Just quoted again for general awesomeness

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Will be avoiding anything related to Games workshop in the future.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Funnely enough it are the mobile games that are really solid. Spacewolf, Deathwatch etc. These are  good WH40K games, and very enoyable. Go check them out, you might be pleasantly surprised. Also, wasn't the Armada game pretty good as well? Haven't played it myself.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    edited October 2016

Kyleran said:

Could not agree more Robert, as I have played almost 200 hours of this POS game.

The game is a DISGRACE and the Developers are an even bigger DISGRACE

OK, I have to ask, why play something that is a disgrace for 200 hours? Seems like 10 or 20 would be sufficient.

Majority of that time 80% was during the Alpha and Beta (sic), plus I was a Founder...and after getting ripped off more than $200, I do believe I am entitled to give the game a chance.
    I DID...and the GAME SUCKS
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

The problem is NOT "Games Workshop" they are an EPIC tabletop Miniatures and Rules company (Warhammer and Age of Sigmar).
    The PROBLEM is the devs of the games, for example "BE Interactive".
    They are the ones to be avoided and NOT GW.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The problem is NOT "Games Workshop" they are an EPIC tabletop Miniatures and Rules company (Warhammer and Age of Sigmar).

He nailed it, the requirements by Games Workshop for anyone using it's IP are quite onerous.  So while the developer has to take some of the blame, it is rather hard to criticize them that much when they had their hands tied behind their backs developing the game.
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    A game with this kind of ambition from the start had no business being an "Early Access" Steam title. If they ever had a hope of hitting even half of what they wanted to do, then it had needed to wait until a developer with large investment dollars was willing to take on the project. Cited above many times is Total War: Warhammer, but this is handled by a prestigious developer CA which is owned by Sega. Plus, it was developed on an existing base game and modified within that IP.

This type of game needs to be handled by a AAA developer with the talent and management to see it through and get realistic systems analysis done before they start making promises that they have no idea if they can keep or not. I think the developers were super excited at the start because they were full of ideas and gumption. As it got along they didn't accomplish even a portion of the goals within certain time frames, leading to compromise after compromise.

MMORPG.com doesn't give a rating this low, pretty much ever. Rob must have really hated this game. I was hoping for Space Marine, just more MMO. Apparently, its just Space Marine with lighter graphics, worse controls, and no story....

Ozmodan said:

He nailed it, the requirements by Games Workshop for anyone using it's IP are quite onerous.  So while the developer has to take some of the blame, it is rather hard to criticize them that much when they had their hands tied behind their backs developing the game.

Talking to Miguel at the start of this GW gave Behaviour a lot of latitude to use the IP. GW was even going to make this new planet they invented part of the cannon. The blame here belongs to the dev more than GW.

Zendai said:

MMORPG.com doesn't give a rating this low, pretty much ever. Rob must have really hated this game. I was hoping for Space Marine, just more MMO. Apparently, its just Space Marine with lighter graphics, worse controls, and no story....

Space Marine is a much better game.