Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meaningful Gender Differences in a Game?

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
I have a predicament; I've designed a combat system in which character height gives a marked advantage (not a % boost or anything, just by way of having a better vantage point in battle and being able to hit shorter enemies from above). This inevitably begs the question of how character height is determined; it can't be just a slider like in most games, and it can't be flat for everyone. Thus, I've decided that height will be one of many physical attributes on which a player may spend points at character creation, so that choosing to increase height means you have less points to spend on other attributes. However, human sexual dimorphism presents an obstacle to this; if the game is to be realistic (and it is being designed as such), female base height should be less than that of male base height. I realize, of course that a) this would be unpopular among PC adherents and b) females must be given a different but equal starting bonus (right now I'm thinking of giving a bonus to dexterity, vision, regeneration, or maybe hunger/thirst bar depletion), to avoid monogenderism among the game's characters. The alternative would be to have equal starting attributes for both genders, as current MMORPGs do (although usually still with sexual dimorphism visually present). 

What opinion do you hold on the concept of meaningful gender differences in games? Please think of this question not only in the context of the scenario I have illustrated above, but also as a question of MMORPG theory.

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    My opinion = EW.  I definitely would not want to play a game where taller characters get an advantage.  That's just as bad as gender-locked classes and race-locked classes.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Taller characters will have longer arms and therefore more reach giving them an advantage when using melee weapons.  Stronger characters will be able to hit harder with melee weapons and therefore be able to inflict more damage.

However, when you present these fact to most gamers, they will flee in horror as if how dare you put that in a game.  My Hugh McFatasse character should be able to run just as long as all the other Jedi in SWTOR and be just as physically capable in all other areas.  Additionally,  as soon as you start pointing out the actual scientifically proven biological facts that there are physical differences between men and women, then dear lord man, just don't ever tell anyone your real name.  The SJW's will burn your damn house down.

When it comes to games, you're better off just averaging everything out so the millennials don't start lighting torches and sharpening pitchforks.
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Yep.. need to watch out for the SJWs hysterical rhetoric in this topic.

Besides, no man or women can swim across the bay in full plate carrying a shield; so what's the point? Lets just continue letting the real world benefits of being man.. women.. unemployed sloth.. show through in our game play instead.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Why should the demographic distribution of some physical characteristic in a fantasy world match that of humans on Earth?  Games usually don't do this on age, for example; if there are children at all, it's likely that all children will be exactly the same age because it's too hard to make a zillion different models for different ages.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I would focus more on making races different.  And the height advantage isn't really as cut and dry.  For example a shorter man has an advantage when combat is taking place up close.  And the taller man will have an advantage when combat is farther away.  Longer arms means longer reach and shorter arms are able to punch someone close up where the longer arms get tangled.

Also look at the whole height advantage thing.  Lets say you are fighting someone standing on a platform.  Your defensive angle is cut very small giving you a better chance to parry and dodge.  Whereas the person on the platform has just about their entire body at risk of being attacked.  The person on the ground just needs to defend their head/shoulders.  Look down on someone holding a shield upwards at an angle and see how the shield protects their entire body.  Meanwhile someone standing on a platform trying to hold a shield downwards is just awkward and hinders their ability to move around.  So the person on the ground has 100% movement freedom and the ability to cover 90% of their body with just a medium sized shield.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Taller characters are more likely to take damage when walking through doorways, so it all evens out.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    H0urg1ass said:
    The SJW's will burn your damn house down.
    That's your answer in a nutshell. Ultima 2 gave you +5 Strength if you chose Male and +10 Charisma if you chose Female. Things have changed so much that even the concept of binary genders in a video game is considered exclusionary and oppressive to some, let alone creating a difference through stats. 

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I thought the latest fad in game design was homogenization, not diversification?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    In game stats should be based on your IRL stats. #Realism
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Your game is a Wild West shooter. You are overestimating vantage point and underestimating the value of being a smaller target in an FPS. Personally I would give taller character bonuses to health and melee reach/damage.

Otherwise, while I am a tall person in real life and like to play large/tall characters, I guarantee I will play max shortness/max skinny character with every single bonus I can get to movement speed.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited October 2016
    4507 said:
     female base height should be less than that of male base height.
    As a woman that comes from a family of very tall female's (6 feet +), I've always had an issue with playing dwarves lol. If @FlyByKnight proposes that it should be based on your real life stats than I should be taller than most men in this game lol. From what I've read on this site, most people are not striving for realism. I've read on this site that most people play games to avoid the confines of real life, so why create a game like this? I don't see how something like this would add to the game. The character that they choose should have stats based on their class. This has always worked, so why is this change necessary? That being said, I'd really like to see someone create a game similar to Vampire the Masquerade, where your stats are based on your clan.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I say allow the characters to be different. Female characters could have some other advantages, shorter characters too. The inability of some people to recognize that fair is silly boggles me.

In the original Starship Troopers, all of the pilots were female because they had a physiological edge as pilots. While Heinlein later said that he regretted not having equality of the sexes for Mobile Infantry, I think that his decision to make all the pilots women was excellent. 

I believe your height as a stat allocation system is a good idea. If you give some alternate benefits for being short then it all works out. I would say that you should look at actual averages and start at the median, with the points for larger size being equal in expense to the further they go on the curve. What you don't want though, is for people to do things like maximizing strength by killing their height lol. 

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
    edited October 2016
    4507 said:
     female base height should be less than that of male base height.
    As a woman that comes from a family of very tall female's (6 feet +), I've always had an issue with playing dwarves lol. If @FlyByKnight proposes that it should be based on your real life stats than I should be taller than most men in this game lol. From what I've read on this site, most people are not striving for realism. I've read on this site that most people play games to avoid the confines of real life, so why create a game like this? I don't see how something like this would add to the game. The character that they choose should have stats based on their class. This has always worked, so why is this change necessary? That being said, I'd really like to see someone create a game similar to Vampire the Masquerade, where your stats are based on your clan.
    I think his particular game he wants to make is striving not for realism but full immersion into the game world, which calls for a certain level of realism.

Also women can be taller than the average man but tall women aren't taller than tall men. For instance my mother is 6'1 but my father and brother are 6'3" and I'm 6'7".

I'd love to see women get some taller options too but their slider probably shouldn't go quite as high as mens.

If Darkfall is any indication though, smaller characters will actually be more popular than larger characters. And there were benefits to being tall in Darkfall. Hitboxes are a huge deal in a manual aim game though.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    If we go by realism.... Why not have the starting height of the character being random within a set of numbers... Also do not give players an option to re-roll for a set amount of time.... (or upon death) 

Anyway my suggestion is to simply look at this from a height perspective... No need to bring male/female in to it at all. (after all there are males like me who sit just shy of 170 cm... and as pointed out above females who push past the 175-180 cm male average) 

To put it simply.... 

If you balance the bonus for being shorter correctly, male or female will not matter. You are simply overthinking a problem that is not really there unless you as a developer fall short. 

This have been a good conversation

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited October 2016
    tawess said:
    If we go by realism.... Why not have the starting height of the character being random within a set of numbers... Also do not give players an option to re-roll for a set amount of time.... (or upon death) 

Anyway my suggestion is to simply look at this from a height perspective... No need to bring male/female in to it at all. (after all there are males like me who sit just shy of 170 cm... and as pointed out above females who push past the 175-180 cm male average) 

To put it simply.... 

If you balance the bonus for being shorter correctly, male or female will not matter. You are simply overthinking a problem that is not really there unless you as a developer fall short. 
    Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. It would be more interesting if it as all random like you mentioned, it would be more like a survival game, and maybe would have to try to survive with the stats that you were given randomly.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Taller versus shorter is not a gender difference and imo you can't draw comparison to realism to auto think Females should be shorter.
    Gender differences,i don't see the NEED for such a design.

IMO you are more on the right track by simply creating "differences" but with all characters.
    A taller person would have a better camera angle,especially in for example high grass or seeing over a small ridge or bush.

I am not a fan of "point" systems,they never do anything to improve a game.Instead go for a class/subclass system,it gives players loads of time to improve their characters via options by achieving more with more classes.It needs to be done right and NOT the way i have seen many games do it via the "you pickem"spells and abilities.They should be strictly tied into your main/sub classes.This is how you create "differences" as well as a steady nominal change as you level up depending on both your race and classes.

I believe in a overall statistical,character structure that is separate from your class structure.Yes it would be a super long grind but does create longevity and a lot of differences.Example one who might play nothing but a healer 24/7 might slowly become better with Wisdom and a tad slower with INT while never much improving STR or STA as simple comparisons.Someone who plays a ranged character might gain a lot of dexterity ,some str but not much agility is needed or used.Every idea can have it's benefits,all depends on how a player wants to build his/her character.They could spend ions just building up STR or INT or perhaps slowly grind away at improving all characteristics and this includes OTHER ideas like crafting skills and harvesting,mining,building,dismantling,run speed,swim speed,climbing etc etc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Taller versus shorter is not a gender difference and imo you can't draw comparison to realism to auto think Females should be shorter.
    I'm sorry, yes, yes it really is. A specific female may be taller than a specific man but the female height range is shorter than the male height range. If that female has both sons and daughters all with the same father, the average height of the sons will be taller than the average height of the daughters almost every time.

The world doesn't conform to modern standards of equality just because we want it to.

So if the objective is realism then the female height scale should be slightly lower than the male height slider.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    4507 said:
    I have a predicament; I've designed a combat system in which character height gives a marked advantage (not a % boost or anything, just by way of having a better vantage point in battle and being able to hit shorter enemies from above)
    I think that's wrong, or you're designing some really weird combat system.

A larger person has better reach and more physical strength, but smaller person has +to hit advantage because he has larger target to hit than his opponent.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    H0urg1ass said:
    Taller characters will have longer arms and therefore more reach giving them an advantage when using melee weapons.  Stronger characters will be able to hit harder with melee weapons and therefore be able to inflict more damage.

However, when you present these fact to most gamers, they will flee in horror as if how dare you put that in a game.  My Hugh McFatasse character should be able to run just as long as all the other Jedi in SWTOR and be just as physically capable in all other areas.  Additionally,  as soon as you start pointing out the actual scientifically proven biological facts that there are physical differences between men and women, then dear lord man, just don't ever tell anyone your real name.  The SJW's will burn your damn house down.

When it comes to games, you're better off just averaging everything out so the millennials don't start lighting torches and sharpening pitchforks.
     Also, being small is a huge advantage when someone is shooting at you and when you are trying to squeeze through a small tunnel or something. 

And being tall is bad when you want to stay alive in a cold climate, you will need far more food and so on. 

Taking a few things in account but not everything will just make a mess of tings. Instead let the attributes strength and dexterity make the difference, it is as logical but far simpler to implement.
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Wearing a bustier if your character was female in Ultima Online.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Vrika said:
    4507 said:
    I have a predicament; I've designed a combat system in which character height gives a marked advantage (not a % boost or anything, just by way of having a better vantage point in battle and being able to hit shorter enemies from above)
    I think that's wrong, or you're designing some really weird combat system.

A larger person has better reach and more physical strength, but smaller person has +to hit advantage because he has larger target to hit than his opponent.
    Its easier to hit a barn door.
    Sounds more like he is confusing physical characteristics with tactical advantages, in a shooter based game, gender is irrelevant, target size isn't however.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Phry said:

Its easier to hit a barn door.
    Sounds more like he is confusing physical characteristics with tactical advantages, in a shooter based game, gender is irrelevant, target size isn't however.
    I'd always pick a female skin in Quake 2 for that very reason.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Having players make choices that affect their gameplay is the heart of a RPG, you just need to have a system that make all choices equal. Being big has both advantages and disadvantages as does being small. 

The gender based idea I had was, the more female characters in a faction, the more faction NPC guards there are and the speed that they get replaced is increased.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I remember in EQ some characters had to use a shrinking spell to get through some doors lol. 

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 425
    edited October 2016
    I think your focus on height and size for a combat system game is a bit in the wrong place, I can name more games that tried this and failed then were a successful game. Imo make the hit boxes the same for any toon tall or short (in the middle maybe) and move on to the rest of the project. Just my two cents