Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so much hate for SWTOR?

Why do so many people hate this game?  I cannot understand it myself.  I find the game to be fun and the story to be good.  I'm not saying its the best game in the world by any means but its at least a 7-8/10.  So is your beef with the game something in your head or does it really exist?
Are you onto something or just on something?
Valentinasumdumguy1

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Meh, goes in cycles.  Recent news means it's time to knock it down again.  By it, I mean any game, not just SWTOR.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    Game is fine. But that's it. Great story and some cool features. Combat speed doesn't feel good to many and it doesn't do a whole lot to stand out. Plus there are still some lingering tech bugs that have existed since launch. 
    Not a bad game, just nothing special outside of the story and IP.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I think a lot of the hate specifically on this site stems from bitter SWG vets.  Their mmo got shut down and an mmo that they don't particularly enjoy replaced it.  

Personally, I enjoy SWTOR and go back to it at least once a year for a few months.  It is what it is and I have fun playing it.  
    ktanner3
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Emo SWG players dislike anything that is not SWG.
    Meleconktanner3
    Chamber of Chains
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited October 2016
    filmoret said:
    Why do so many people hate this game?  I cannot understand it myself.  I find the game to be fun and the story to be good.  I'm not saying its the best game in the world by any means but its at least a 7-8/10.  So is your beef with the game something in your head or does it really exist?
    hate? the game is so bland and annoying its not even get hate, to tell you the truth I even forgot this game existed till now

but if you want to know what to hate, lets see, MMO but looks more like single player, you have to pay to open hotkey bars, story not that good, adn from what I read from the last update they are not even making diferent story class anymore, bad balance, its a gme who want to be called a star wars but want to be like wow

and we know pretty well ther will not be another star war MMO till they remove this game so you can have that on swg players to hate too

plus come on, when the devs make a game and they get really hyped by the VA they put in the game and not the real gameplay you know there is something wrong
    Deewe
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2016
    Its disliked because it could have been a much greater experience than standard themepark number 37

The wasted potential makes some folks bitter.
    TealaDeewe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    filmoret said:
    Because game is wasted potential of a good SW game. And MMO. It is cash grab at this point, designed to milk those who are still playing. 
    TealaDeeweHariken
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Because it wasn't SWG 2.0 and it wasn't a KOTOR MMO.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Never had an ounce of hate for the game,it is just simply put,a very weak game.

Game design is not easy,putting all the pieces together is not easy,it takes a lot of smart people and a lot of money to make a game i would rate Triple A quality.

Deewe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    How to enjoy SWTOR.

1. Install game and Subscribe.
    2. Play every class to level 50 and finish each class story.
    3. Pick your 1 favorite character.
    4. Play that character to level 65 and finish the expansion stories.
    5. Skip group content.
    6. Unsubscribe and uninstall game.

After beating the single-player game like a dead horse. I tried to get somewhat serious with HM FPs and Ops.

Unless you're an "Officer" in your guild, you will NEVER do any group content that YOU want to do (especially older content). Which leaves you PUGing.

While PUGing, I learned that people who have no business playing MMORPGs, feel entitled to. These people cannot/will not grasp the the most basic mechanics, prevalent in all MMORPGs. They are nothing but a burden to players willing to learn and achieve.

I saved myself time, repair cost, and frustration by becoming an elitist snob.

When running HM FPs:

1. I check everyone in the group for 216+ augmented gear.

2. I check everyone in the group for the Legendary Icon next to their nametag.

If anyone is missing any of those in the slightest, I leave the group. I rather not have my soul eaten.

EA has NO care for a loyal fanbase. They cater to the endless stream of F2P locusts to stay afloat. Level syncing, no new Ops, no class story is a sure sign that they are not going to invest into the game.

Imagine if they shifted resources from gimmicks into making the game great.

Things I would like to see fixed if I were to come back:

1. The Engine.

2. Group Finder needs restrictions. 
    a. Gear checks for HM content.
    b. Role check. - Tired of DPS queuing as Healer (w/off-healer skills) or DPS queuing as Tank (w/off-tank skills). 
    c. When in a HM, if one player hits spacebar, then it counts for all group members, ending the cutscene.

3. PVP Mechanics.
    a. Fix Resolve/CC Break skill cooldowns OR nerf CC/stunlocking.
    b. Nerf certain DOTs (it's stupid what you can do with a sage/sorc).
    c. Players who do not accumulate objective points, get no reward. PVPing in mid like a selfish brat should be discouraged. 

4. GSF.
    a. Give it a purpose. I like it, but I wish there was more meaningful impacts on the ground game.

That's just the short list for myself, White Knights have no power here.

Deewe
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • StjerneoddStjerneodd Member UncommonPosts: 11
    cheyane said:
    Haha, I think you are giving SWG vets way more power and weight than they really have.  Emo SWG haters, oh well.

I don't really hate the game, I just don't think it is that good, I'd give it a 5.  Honestly to me the stories (which most people seem to like) I thought were kind of weak, the world itself is like walking through a time stop machine since hardly any of the npc's really move, the odd directions and turns in their updates and then the free to play seems to have driven a lot of angst.

But too be honest I have not played in a couple of updates so I'm sure everything is fixed now.

Any game that has lasted this long is going to have it's detractors and disaffected players who liked it better before (insert update/change here).

Oddly enough my wife and I are thinking about jumping back in and starting over, we don't have issues with the free to play, we just pay as we need.

Star...Wars....help...me...resist

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    While I love Star Wars, I just felt like the game was too similar to other MMOs and took a combat direction I didn't really agree with. The writing is pretty solid though, For the most part. That's what kept me playing as long as I did.

So I don't hate it, The combat just couldn't hold my attention long enough and that's what you're doing 90% of the time.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    filmoret said:
    For me, and I bet I am not alone in this, I was hoping for SWG 2. I should not have, and if I disregard what I wanted I can admit that SWTOR is a good game. 

I would still like to see a triple-A production of SWG, I no longer hold any hope of that happening. 

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I played it for just over one year. Loved it until it went f2p. Well, I should say I loved the Star Wars aspect of it.  To me it always felt too much like WoW with lightsabers. I was never big into the whole leveling and wizardary affects of the game. Story to me was the big highlight. The story from the 8 different perspectives was great. But once the story was done, the game became just like every other MMO out there.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    SWTOR is terrible on every single level imaginable including the absolute kindergarten level writing that they call "story".

From the moment you load the game you're presented with a 2003 era character creation screen with body types ranging from ultra fatty to gnome and only one of the four presets is even remotely normal humanoid size.  The customization is a joke and many of the best looking options are locked behind a pay wall.

Then you get into game and it's the most absolutely generic cut and paste MMO you've ever seen.  It's the white bread of white bread.  Even white bread looks exotic compared to this game.  

Leveling is a goddamn chore.  The planets look like big open worlds full of fun exploration, but then about three planets in you start to realize something.  Each and every planet is designed like a funnel, a rat maze if you will.  What looks like large open explore-able worlds are really full of choke points like crashed ships that form walls to the next area.  The city planners on the city worlds should be executed by firing squad.  Cities in the real world have blocks and those blocks are designed for easy traversal from one street to the next.  The cities in SWTOR are designed to be mazes, forcing you to spend an inordinate amount of time chasing glowy things to click.  I, no shit, picked up a mission on Coruscant and the objective marker was five feet away on the other side of a wall.  I'm playing a Jedi.  I should be able to jump the wall or cut a hole with my motherfucking lightsaber, but nooooo, 10+ minutes of running through maze like streets later I grab the glowy thing and then run all the way back to the NPC for another mission.

Every single chokepoint is absolutely packed fucking full of useless shit NPC's standing stock fucking still and occasionally twirling a weapon.  Stock still, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  No other reason for existence except to make you stop every 10 feet to fight something.  This, in turn, makes the stealth characters absolutely invaluable.  You can fight your way through every useless mob every ten feet all day, or you can stealth past them and save yourself multiple pointless hours every night.

Each planet has one, maybe two... maybe, types of things to fight.  In fact, each planet only has 1-2 things to fight and 1-2 neutral lifeforms and that's it.  If you go to Taris you will fight rakghouls.  If you go to Tatooine, then you will fight sand people.  If you go to Alderaan you will fight Killiks... ect ect ect yawn fucking ect.

The stories are kindergarten level trash with Imperial Agent being the high point, and when I say high point I mean a 4 on a scale of 1-10 with the rest bucking for negative scores.  Trooper was so bad that I wanted to punch myself in the face repeatedly.  Smuggler gets a 3 for humor, but not for plot.  If this trite crap is what people are calling story these days, then for heavens sake go pick up a real book and read it.  The kind without pictures.  But hey, my undergraduate degree is in English Literature, so I'm kind of a story snob.  Sue me.

One incredibly annoying thing is that the game world is completely disconnect from the character story in ways that made me throw up my hands like Jackie Chan and scream "what?!?".  For instance, I remember very clearly playing a Jedi through Balmorra.  There's an evil as shit scumbag Sith Lord running the planet and murdering everyone he comes across.  While on Balmorra, I used my lightsaber like a plasma powered slap-chop, slicing and dicing my way through literally hundreds of Imperials.  In fact, I probably lightsaber chainsawed a good 1000 of them.  Then I get to the Sith Lord and I fight him into submission.  The game goes to a cut scene where I have the choice to spare his life or kill him.  So I mouse over "kill him" and what do I see?  It's a dark side choice.  No shit, I just limb sawed my way through a good 1k NPC's, but killing this truly evil sack of shit is a dark side choice?  Are you kidding me??  Did the guy writing the story even play the game?

I could honestly keep going, but holy crap I've written a novel and barely touched the surface of how bad this game is.
    PhaserlightDeewe
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    cheyane said:
    I don't think so.  I'm a SWG vet, player who are now in their 30's-80's.  Those in that age bracket, just don't care anymore.  I also played KoTOR 1 & 2, and have them both still installed on my hard drive.  I didn't play 1 this year but I did replay 2.

I think the hate come from KoTOR fans who wanted a Hero centric KoTOR 3 game.  Rather than the TOR mmo that they got.  Personally, when I played the game I first played a Commando.  The thing I noticed, my gear seemed more like "Body Paint" sprayed on to my character's nude body.  This annoyed me, and made me feel uncomfortable playing.  I'm not an artist, but I am an explorer.  When I looked around the Empire city, I wasn't happy with the art.  I felt that they skimped or made in general bad choices during basic development.  I felt more time and effort were spent on Voice Acting and dialog.  Other felt not enough time and effort was spent on Voice and dialog.

There are those who are to satisfied with the game engine and art.  They wanted the latest Unreal Engine to be used, and the most photo realistic art.  Nothing else would satisfy them.

Rather than blame a game and a set of gamers.  I would rather say a number of fans, just were not satisfied by TOR.  True many wanted or expected a different game.  But if the game they got in any way was good to them, they would be playing it.  I think those who are playing it fall into this category.  I pay and play it for one month when something come out.  That is all that I do.  

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

NorseGod said:
    How to enjoy SWTOR.

5. Skip group content.

After beating the single-player game like a dead horse. I tried to get somewhat serious with HM FPs and Ops.

Unless you're an "Officer" in your guild, you will NEVER do any group content that YOU want to do (especially older content). Which leaves you PUGing.

While PUGing, I learned that people who have no business playing MMORPGs, feel entitled to. These people cannot/will not grasp the the most basic mechanics, prevalent in all MMORPGs. They are nothing but a burden to players willing to learn and achieve.

When running HM FPs:

If anyone is missing any of those in the slightest, I leave the group. I rather not have my soul eaten.

EA has NO care for a loyal fanbase. They cater to the endless stream of F2P locusts to stay afloat. Level syncing, no new Ops, no class story is a sure sign that they are not going to invest into the game.

1. The Engine.

b. Role check. - Tired of DPS queuing as Healer (w/off-healer skills) or DPS queuing as Tank (w/off-tank skills). 
    c. When in a HM, if one player hits spacebar, then it counts for all group members, ending the cutscene.

3. PVP Mechanics.
    c. Players who do not accumulate objective points, get no reward. PVPing in mid like a selfish brat should be discouraged. 

4. GSF.
    a. Give it a purpose. I like it, but I wish there was more meaningful impacts on the ground game.

Why does someone have to be a legendary player?  I have 6 of the 8 classes finished.  I literally have zero interest in ever playing the smuggler.  So I probably won't ever have the status.  Sounds like the real reason you have issues finding groups is your ridiculous requirements that need to be met.  The gear requirement I get, but the trivial "legendary" status is just confounding.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    If you ain't legendary, you're legenfailing.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    NorseGod said:
    How to enjoy SWTOR.

5. Skip group content.

When running HM FPs:

1. The Engine.

3. PVP Mechanics.

4. GSF.

Why does someone have to be a legendary player?  I have 6 of the 8 classes finished.  I literally have zero interest in ever playing the smuggler.  So I probably won't ever have the status.  Sounds like the real reason you have issues finding groups is your ridiculous requirements that need to be met.  The gear requirement I get, but the trivial "legendary" status is just confounding.
    I think he's talking about the endgame dungeons that are harder then normal.  Heroic or something.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited October 2016
    Game is, and will forever be a clunky, buggy mess because they botched development, and created their own shitty engine from another shitty engine. They focus so much on story at this point, because it distracts people from the shallow gameplay and they expect fans to return to see this shit, if for only a short time. 

filmoret said:
    NorseGod said:
    How to enjoy SWTOR.

5. Skip group content.

When running HM FPs:

1. The Engine.

3. PVP Mechanics.

4. GSF.

I think he's talking about the endgame dungeons that are harder then normal.  Heroic or something.
    What do Heroic dungeons have to with Legendary status?  Legendary status is only literally you played each class once to level 50.  When I'm tanking on my Sith Juggernaut who gives a flying fuck if I leveled a smuggler or Bounty Hunter to level 50?  It's probably the most arbitrary requirement I've ever seen.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

There is nothing wrong with this game. Granted its not an everyday as much as possible thing but it is a fine game. the communities expectations are what should be on trial. You got a game that you allowed Devs to make! If we don't as a grp make bad publishers like EA/Origin pay for the crap that spews out of every orifice of every member of their company you can expect much worse then swtor in the future :D 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I think a lot of the hate specifically on this site stems from bitter SWG vets.  Their mmo got shut down and an mmo that they don't particularly enjoy replaced it.  

Personally, I enjoy SWTOR and go back to it at least once a year for a few months.  It is what it is and I have fun playing it.  
    SWG fans definitely make up a good chunk of the haters.  SWTOR had the best leveling up experience I've ever had (first character per faction that is).  Although I haven't played TSW which supposedly tops it.

They got my disdain at launch though due to a poorly optimized engine and letting PVP exploiters on that planet off scott free.  They also didn't have automated group finders or space combat, which was pretty damn stupid.  but they wanted that holiday release I guess.

I don't hate it, I just don't think it does anything at level cap better than what's out there.  And I think leveling multiple characters of a faction is super tedious as it requires doing 80% repeated content.

SWG fans definitely make up a good chunk of the haters.  SWTOR had the best leveling up experience I've ever had (first character per faction that is).  Although I haven't played TSW which supposedly tops it.

They got my disdain at launch though due to a poorly optimized engine and letting PVP exploiters on that planet off scott free.  They also didn't have automated group finders or space combat, which was pretty damn stupid.  but they wanted that holiday release I guess.

I don't hate it, I just don't think it does anything at level cap better than what's out there.  And I think leveling multiple characters of a faction is super tedious as it requires doing 80% repeated content.
    These are fair points.  Not sure if you've played it in a while, but they changed the 1-50 level up experience.  Now you can basically just do the main story quest and the main planet Story quest on each planet and avoid all the side quests if you wish and still make it to 50 with no problem.  This definitely makes it a lot easier to level on multiply characters.  This is of course if you are subbing (can't speak for F2P players since I always sub when I play).
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Besides the bitter SWG fans I  think there are a few other things that  annoy people.

The top of the list is that the game have a very clone wars feeling to it, it is set in the Star wars universe but it lacks the feeling of the original movies.

The mechanics is also not really good for Star wars, Luke doesn't stop to heal Han in the middle of battle and getting hit by a lightsaber should be fatal. The level mechanics are not really optimal for this type of setting.

I think that if they had set the game in the mass effect universe or an original IP it wouldn't have gotten so much hate, if any.

It is a good game but not a good Star wars game. Of course, whatever the SWG vets say, neither did SWG capture the feeling of the original movies (well, maybe the early part on tatooine).