Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon classes, skill trees, and how skills are acquired.

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
I'm really hesitantly excited for this title.  Everything I read about it I'm really enjoying, and I'm constantly looking forward to hearing more.  One thing I'm curious about though, how will the classes gain skills?  Will it be like EQ1 where you just got a new skill every x levels, and everyone of a given class all had the same skills?

Or are we looking at something different?  Something like a skill tree with skills buried in it, where you have to spend points in the trees to unlock skills?  Very curious as to the answer for this.

I really like individuality in my games, I don't like being the same enchanter as every other enchanter in the game.  I like choices that effect my character.

Patiently waiting for the new pledge tiers.  :)

Comments

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited August 2016
    From my understanding classes will get their usual skills as they level up, probably through a trainer, but also through finding items that give them to you. Dont think theyve said anything on talents yet.

As for choices I wouldnt expect many branching stories but they do want talents, classes, and race choices to make a difference with how the game responds to you. Kill on site from factions, quest eligibility, etc.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I feel like I can say pretty confidently that Pantheon won't be utilizing skill trees.

They haven't said exactly how everything will work, but they have made it clear that many of your abilities will not be obtainable at your class trainer. They plan to spread your skills around to be discovered probably from drops, or learned from an npc in a hard to reach place. Wouldn't be surprised if they also incorporate the system where you learn from mobs in combat (ala Vanguard), but I don't think its been mentioned specifically yet.

VR is all about that kind of flavor. Pantheon will definitely not be the same copy pasta mmo we've seen for so many years now.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Dullahan said:
    I feel like I can say pretty confidently that Pantheon won't be utilizing skill trees.

They haven't said exactly how everything will work, but they have made it clear that many of your abilities will not be obtainable at your class trainer. They plan to spread your skills around to be discovered probably from drops, or learned from an npc in a hard to reach place. Wouldn't be surprised if they also incorporate the system where you learn from mobs in combat (ala Vanguard), but I don't think its been mentioned specifically yet.

VR is all about that kind of flavor. Pantheon will definitely not be the same copy pasta mmo we've seen for so many years now.
    I miss the days of stuff not given to you and you having to work for it. Saving up enough money to buy those skills from the trainer. Farming for spells. I hope the economy is harsh so it increases the value of what you're getting and make you appreciate it once again. Like actually saving up enough to buy your first mount.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Dullahan said:

Vanilla WoW had some of that. I remember my warlock winning a roll on a raid for an update to Shadowbolt. Was a good day. :) Of course, like so many things they changed it later. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited August 2016
    Amathe said:
    Dullahan said:

Vanilla WoW had some of that. I remember my warlock winning a roll on a raid for an update to Shadowbolt. Was a good day. :) Of course, like so many things they changed it later. 

Heh, there was also the highest level Int buff for mages dropped off UBRS I think. I remember Tranq. Shot for Hunters wasnt obtainable at trainers either, and that was required for a certain boss. Oh and there was alternative Polymorphs for mages too which changed it to different animals (Turtle, Pig...).

Sad that they still havent realized this. I was hoping that mess with the private servers along with 4 expansions worth of sub losses wouldve lit that light bulb on some developer over there but Legion doesnt show any sign that theyre changing the same formula. Either theyre completely ignorant or just dont care.

Thats what I like about Pantheon. I never had the pleasure of playing PNP or MUD's as a kid but the VR team seems to want to bring back that sense of wonder, danger, exploration, and team play that made those games great.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    I would love to see spells and skills acquired from a wide array of sources: mob drops, crafting, quests, factions, etc.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I just hope they stay away from EQ2 skill system. Loved that game but I hated the way it worked with skills. I liked old school EQ best for this. Some vendor bought, some harder to come by. Parts of skills found in the world and you could combine them to make them as well. 
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Honestly, if they just copypasta'd the skill system from EQ i'd be 100% happy.  That's literally one of the best things about that game, period.  That, and the faction system.

On topic, i would prefer that some skills/spells be drops.  I think it's super cool when you can get a spell like Meteor from a dragon, etc.  It doesn't have to be game breakingly better, but just like getting a sword that's say 15% better than what you can get non raid, i think it's cool.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I think early EQ melee dps was too much about autoattack and haste.  All classes need to have variety in attacks, not just casters.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I just hope there is no rolling on loot.  I hate that system in all games.
    edited October 2016
    Since EQ/2 is being talked about, thoughts on if they implement something like the AA system? I honestly found the AA system pretty enjoyable.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Albatroes said:
    Since EQ/2 is being talked about, thoughts on if they implement something like the AA system? I honestly found the AA system pretty enjoyable.
    This is a popular topic on the official forums, but they haven't given specifics of how its going to work in Pantheon.

My hope personally is that they will offer some sort of specialization and that it won't be like EQ AAs in that everyone has to train everything. I think there should be choices like become better at damage or healing for instance. I also would rather we gain new skills or upgrade our abilities through quests or drops rather than ticking points on an AA menu.

In the end AAs were about giving players a reason to continue playing by offering better or more powerful abilities. As long as they provide of way of doing this, I don't really care how its achieved.

Dullahan said:
    Albatroes said:
    This is a popular topic on the official forums, but they haven't given specifics of how its going to work in Pantheon.

My hope personally is that they will offer some sort of specialization and that it won't be like EQ AAs in that everyone has to train everything. I think there should be choices like become better at damage or healing for instance. I also would rather we gain new skills or upgrade our abilities through quests or drops rather than ticking points on an AA menu.

In the end AAs were about giving players a reason to continue playing by offering better or more powerful abilities. As long as they provide of way of doing this, I don't really care how its achieved.
    I completely agree. That's part of my problem with many mmorpgs on the market atm, that gear treadmill with no persistent progress.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    flizzer said:
    I just hope there is no rolling on loot.  I hate that system in all games.
    My most memorable time in PnP DnD was arguing about who gets what.