Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting really crappy?

Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
I played at release and just got back into it. I'm enjoying the game and most aspects, I thought I'd finally level weaponsmithing to 500 only to find out theres no real point unless im going to make bound ascended gear or legendary.

I thought surely there'd be some max level gear that was in demand or could make nice gear to sell but there's nothing. Crafting feels kinder pointless? 

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited October 2016
    Not all crafting. The cooking of food I found was useful and often sold decently. I do agree about the weaponsmithing though. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yes cooking is good but I found it very expensive when I played so I could not raise it.

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    I played at release and just got back into it. I'm enjoying the game and most aspects, I thought I'd finally level weaponsmithing to 500 only to find out theres no real point unless im going to make bound ascended gear or legendary.

I thought surely there'd be some max level gear that was in demand or could make nice gear to sell but there's nothing. Crafting feels kinder pointless? 
    GW2 wasn't designed to has one specific-content-centric in mind. Because of this particular reason, GW2 oftenly deemed as shallow MMO, has bad design, etc, etc. In fact, GW2 intentionally designed as free-to-do-anything-MMO, with minimal grind compared to others, but not every people like this kind of taste and you knew the rest of it.

You wanna craft? You're free to do so, but don't expect to make spectacular-level profit from there.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2016
    Crafting became annoying because the costs vs the final product prices most of the times is simply not worth it, I always ended up buying stuff directly over spending the time buying resources and crafting.

The economy is very strictly controlled and balanced in a way nothing is meant to give you profit, the real way to make money is not crafting; is farm or buy unique-sale skins and such, that will face a frequent increase of price.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    What game have you ever played where you can craft weapons and sell them for profit?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2016
    On a game like GW2 that's exactly what craft is about. Why people craft legendaries to sell on the global trade posts? Originally there was far more opportunities, as time passes and a lot of people get into this, the competition and prices is very high, meaning that the crafters have all intentions of push the resource values down (attempting to compete for the lowest price), the resource sellers do otherwise.

It got to a point it's more expensive to craft several stuff than it is buying on trade post.

They only added a real point to Crafting on several professions later, to craft ascended gear; if they ever opened up that to the global economy the same would've happened.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Most players who desire top gear are dedicated enough to level up crafting themselves.

Some gear in the 400-500 level range is actually terrible in terms of profit. When I played a year ago, it might take 8-10 gold to craft an exotic armor piece. They sold for 1.5-12 gold, based on the rune you used. If you made something like a +healing sword, you'd be looking at large losses.

I viewed crafting as something I'd invest my gold in. Whenever I had 50+ gold, I'd spend 40 into crafting mats. Sometimes you'd get 50% of it back through sales. There's not that much to invest gold on in general, so leveling up crafting and making Ascended equipment for yourself is a nice goal.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited October 2016
    At least you can craft the best gear for yourself and not have to buy it or wait for uber rare drops. This makes the game at least palatable for most players. I mean in Rift, if you do dungeons, you have to do them day after day for some obscene amount of time to get the drops of the armor. Or worse, have to pay RL money for the UBER armor in the CS.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited October 2016
    filmoret said:
    What game have you ever played where you can craft weapons and sell them for profit?

Final Fantasy XIV.   The crafting in that game has its own meta and end game.  Crafting is a class that you level in itself (legit levels), and has gear that further improves your art through the mini-game.  It also has rotations, BiS and abilities to use.  Not to mention a wide array of constantly updates items and materials that gatherers can sell to crafters.  In addition to gear being able to be broken down into materia or rare materials.

I've made probably about two billion gil from selling weapons, armor, furniture (during housing patches, don't really bother outside those months aside from new Star items each patch), aesthetic items, etc.  Even if I buy materials from gatherers, the profit is still insane, mainly due to the system whereby they have normal items that the game is balanced around, and High Quality items that experienced craftsmen with BiS and proper rotations can sell for 5x the price, easy.

Then again, the game has like five + different types of end games with their own meta.  Crafting in itself takes up nearly all my free time, and requires constant supervision of your retainers that sell items (as well as knowledge of the economy) to beat out competitors.

Over the course of working the last six years on crafting (from 1.0 onwards), I'm able to easily make a good 2-5 million gil a night just from casually crafting, since I am able to buy materials and shards in bulk.  Spending upwards of maybe 30 million gil each time I need to restock (providing I don't have time to go out and gather myself).

Granted, most players won't have the patience or fortitude to take on the crafting end game of FFXIV, but it is one of the few games that actually has a crafting meta in itself.  Not to mention that I, personally, have multiple legacy accounts that I use, with each account having an omni crafter (though I mainly just use spare accounts to create materials, as there are different stages of materials such as Plant -> Thread -> Cloth that you craft before getting into making items that require multiples of the final materials; you are able to set the crafting of materials to auto while focusing on your main to craft the items).

I try to keep my reserves above 100 million in case something comes up in new patches that requires my attention and gil, though I oft buy Free Company mates / friends their own rooms / houses / gear (or craft such; selling 3.4 weapons and armor for 1.5-3 million a piece right now) whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Personally need to start crafting seriously again, as I've been slacking since the release of patch 3.3 some time ago -- with 3.4 just being released.

It's amazing to me how well they keep the economy maintained, even after all these years.  Normal items are almost always cheap, as it's the HQ market that sells for a lot.  So even new players won't be met with the typical "this level 5 item is selling for 2,000 gold", such as on WoW, due to it.

Though I play on very populated realms, so things sell quite fast if you stay on top of it (though Palace of the Dead is starting to cut in on that).

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    filmoret said:

Final Fantasy XIV.   The crafting in that game has its own meta and end game.  Crafting is a class that you level in itself (legit levels), and has gear that further improves your art through the mini-game.  It also has rotations, BiS and abilities to use.  Not to mention a wide array of constantly updates items and materials that gatherers can sell to crafters.  In addition to gear being able to be broken down into materia or rare materials.

I've made probably about two billion gil from selling weapons, armor, furniture (during housing patches, don't really bother outside those months aside from new Star items each patch), aesthetic items, etc.  Even if I buy materials from gatherers, the profit is still insane, mainly due to the system whereby they have normal items that the game is balanced around, and High Quality items that experienced craftsmen with BiS and proper rotations can sell for 5x the price, easy.

Then again, the game has like five + different types of end games with their own meta.  Crafting in itself takes up nearly all my free time, and requires constant supervision of your retainers that sell items (as well as knowledge of the economy) to beat out competitors.

Over the course of working the last six years on crafting (from 1.0 onwards), I'm able to easily make a good 2-5 million gil a night just from casually crafting, since I am able to buy materials and shards in bulk.  Spending upwards of maybe 30 million gil each time I need to restock (providing I don't have time to go out and gather myself).

Granted, most players won't have the patience or fortitude to take on the crafting end game of FFXIV, but it is one of the few games that actually has a crafting meta in itself.  Not to mention that I, personally, have multiple legacy accounts that I use, with each account having an omni crafter (though I mainly just use spare accounts to create materials, as there are different stages of materials such as Plant -> Thread -> Cloth that you craft before getting into making items that require multiples of the final materials; you are able to set the crafting of materials to auto while focusing on your main to craft the items).

I try to keep my reserves above 100 million in case something comes up in new patches that requires my attention and gil, though I oft buy Free Company mates / friends their own rooms / houses / gear (or craft such; selling 3.4 weapons and armor for 1.5-3 million a piece right now) whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Personally need to start crafting seriously again, as I've been slacking since the release of patch 3.3 some time ago -- with 3.4 just being released.

It's amazing to me how well they keep the economy maintained, even after all these years.  Normal items are almost always cheap, as it's the HQ market that sells for a lot.  So even new players won't be met with the typical "this level 5 item is selling for 2,000 gold", such as on WoW, due to it.

Though I play on very populated realms, so things sell quite fast if you stay on top of it (though Palace of the Dead is starting to cut in on that).

So only 1 out of like 100 mmo's has crafting where you can actually sell items for more then it costs to craft them.  And that is only during events where the items are in high demand like furniture for houses.  Every mmo has some sort of crafting thing where during a certain period the items are worth more then normal.  If you want to make money from crafting in mmo's it just not viable way of playing.  There are hundreds of players all trying to do the same thing and most of them are willing to sell items for cheaper then cost.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    FF 11 allowed you to make profit from crafting too.

Anyway OP, you can craft legendaries and sell them.
    Like you said it's about demand. Obviously there is no high demand for freely available exotic gear.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    filmoret said:
    Archeage/BDO?
    Albatroes said:
    filmoret said:
    Archeage/BDO?
    You can't make money crafting in archeage sorry.  Maybe 1 profession once a year or something.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     You can still make a profit crafting armor in DAoC, even with 1200 players.  You can even profit from crafting in Trove, albeit it's a different kind of crafting. BDO as well with certain items.

The crafting in GW2 isn't so bad though, it's more about enhancing your personal items over others. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    filmoret said:
    Albatroes said:
    filmoret said:
    Archeage/BDO?
    You can't make money crafting in archeage sorry.  Maybe 1 profession once a year or something.
    You're smoking some crazy stuff if you believe that to be true. If you get any weapon to a decent enough tier, it sells almost instantly. Then again, people use rl money (p2w game after all), so I guess you have to define making money at that point since its pretty much converting money.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I was making money in Everquest 2 and Vanguard crafting and selling things. Very viable. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Crappy is a good start .. Nearly worthless is more like it..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    filmoret said:
    EVE and DAOC come to mind... Not much else

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    EVE and DAOC come to mind... Not much else
    Every game has something that can be done with crafting.  As far as making money goes.  GW2 has items you can make money from but when you look at the overall cost vs profit margin its negligible most of the time.  It does sound like ff11&ff14 did a good job but idk because i haven't played those games.  Overall its just not easy to make money crafting because there's always someone willing to sell the items cheaper untill the cost of materials is actually higher then cost of item itself.  I really thought Archeage would be one of those games that would be different because of the work points system.  But I was wrong.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    So there is no point about crafting except making the BiS.
    Ok.

It seems to me the point of crafting in GW2 is to get BiS gear.
    And you can make some money, just not thousands, unless you are crafting legendaries and then you can.

So BiS gear, money and XP while you leveling = useless crafting.
    Confused.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    wth are you all talking i made my first 1k gold selling ascended mats and other stuff from crafting :D