Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Things We Want from New World - The List

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageFive Things We Want from New World - The List

When Amazon Game Studios announced a couple weeks ago that it was making a Triple-A sandbox MMORPG called New World, the news quickly excited the throngs of MMO fans. It’s not often these days we get wind of big money being spent on a new game in our favorite genre. With that in mind, we’ve decided to write Gaming Santa and ask him to deliver these things to the biggest new game on the horizon.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    edited October 2016
    And I doubt we will get any of this, or at least anything that feels satisifying. List mirrors what I am looking for also but not hopeful.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    More importantly than anything else, have they decided what the developers mean when they say 'sandbox'?  That term seems to have as many definitions as there are development teams.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    nr 5 so much...if it ends up being just another rust im gonna be sader than pepe.... the game needs some kind of consistent character progression
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    They are coming into this with a lot of expectation on their shoulders. I hope they can deliver at least some of the things we are looking for (including this list). They are a huge name, they have a new venture, a new engine and a big shot team. I guess we shall see...
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Yonko's! oh, not THAT New World.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    and, New World better have Viking stuff... it better not be just all Columbus stuff.

Brits, French, Spaniards, Portuguese, Indians and terrors in the night all sounds good... but there needs to be Vikings or the sandbox will just feel empty.

Sz :)
  • Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Im hoping to have a character that says " ARRRGGGH " a lot. But honestly I am looking forward to the numerous posts of " WHAT IF OMG OMG "
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I'd rather 0 PVP than "optional PVP". Either do the OWPVP all the way or don't. It's too abusable to do it otherwise.
    Tykam123infomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    I'm not interested in a dev team that is committed even in part to OWPvP, let alone full loot. I will wait for Pantheon.
    Oyjord
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    #4 and #2 appeal but the rest hold no interest for me. Then again, I don't think this game is going to be any good. But I'm an Amazon stockholder as well as an avid MMO player, so I feel like I should care more about it.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'd rather 0 PVP than "optional PVP". Either do the OWPVP all the way or don't. It's too abusable to do it otherwise.
    I'm not following.  How is optional pvp abusable?  I'm not being snide here, just sincerely interested in what you mean.
  • butznutzbutznutz Member UncommonPosts: 17
    1. tab based combat
    2. PVE with optional PvP
    3. Player run economy
    4. classless progression
    5. Cash shop with tons of cosmetic items
    Dvora
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

SaunZ said:

and, New World better have Viking stuff... it better not be just all Columbus stuff.

Brits, French, Spaniards, Portuguese, Indians and terrors in the night all sounds good... but there needs to be Vikings or the sandbox will just feel empty.

Sz :)

Wrong era
  • muessigGamermuessigGamer Member CommonPosts: 2
    Mhm, my thoughts after seeing the first picture in the article (the one above headline "3.) Real Horror): So is this secretly a Dragon Age-MMO? ;)) Looks kinda like DA's sentient darkspawns (Architect/Cory)...
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Until I see more talk is cheap, just like Dnl let's see some game play vids. 

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    When I saw the initial announcement it didn't even occur to me that it could be a game like Rust, DayZ, H1Z1 etc. That is what terrifies me most - that it won't actually be an MMO.

Agree with all your points though, except perhaps the story one. I don't care about story myself, I don't feel computer games are very good at telling stories and I've never played a game where the story felt good. In a sandbox, story is usually terrible and doesn't fit with the gameplay.

On the PvP front, we just need more info. If its non-consensual then this game is shooting itself in the foot, but I imagine it will be consensual and done pretty well.

I would personally replace the story point with village / town building. Very few MMOs allow you to alter the world you're in so I'm really hoping that players can build houses, setup villages etc and actually colonise the new world ourselves, rather than just going from hub to hub.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Complete waste of time.  It is Amazon we are talking about and you can guarantee that the game will be primarily for mobile devices.   Let's face it, you cannot do a AAA game on mobile as of yet.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Ozmodan said:
    Complete waste of time.  It is Amazon we are talking about and you can guarantee that the game will be primarily for mobile devices.   Let's face it, you cannot do a AAA game on mobile as of yet.

I don't think it's going to be mobile at all actually. The game page lists the platform as "Windows". https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Game-Studios-World-Download/dp/B01M07V5OS
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    I am on the hype train on this one if it is indeed on PC
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Lord of the Rings Online was the only great story telling game that I have played. I doubt these guys will pull off a story, most don't. I do hope PVP is controlled,I'm a carebear :)
  • BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited October 2016
    I agree with most. I disagree with PVP in an MMO unless it is totally separate or the game is centered on PVP. If not, then build a PVE game or PVP game don't try to combine both. The reason is simple; diversity. You can't have PVE and PVP and maintain diversity of the classes. It simply can't be done. If you try then what you end up with is several races (good, bad, orcs, lizards whatever) with the same damn skills. The reason is that if you have PVP then you have to balance it around PVP and you can't have one race with better abilities. All races have to have the exact same skills or access to them. If not, then it's a balance nightmare. Thus all races end up having the same exact abilities maybe with different names.

If you build just PVE then you can have diversity where races have different abilities. You are not strangled by the need to balance players against each other. You can then concentrate on just PVE. Then you can have battlegrounds, CTF and such which are not the focus of the game but just a fun distraction.

There is nothing worse in an MMO than to have every class being able to play totally solo. Warriors should be able to take hits but not deal out a ton of damage (unless of course they give up their ability to take hits...aka Berserker). Healers should not have massive dps as well. I'm personally tired of MMO's that are nothing more than SOLO games where people only group when necessary. It kills the immersion of the game and defeats the entire purpose of an MMO.

I know people will disagree but if they understood true diversity and power it brings then they would understand my feelings on this topic. If you want to PVP then GO PLAY A PVP GAME. Stop trying to combine PVP with PVE as it simply does not work. It's boring and cookie cutter and well bleh.......

Laviota
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Why people keep saying sandbox and story don't mix? While there could be no themepark narrative there could be drops that start quests (Everquest). And in a line of quest story can be told. Why the hell not? There are actually other options, just get into it and think out of the box.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

Bravnik said:

I agree with most. I disagree with PVP in an MMO unless it is totally separate or the game is centered on PVP. If not, then build a PVE game or PVP game don't try to combine both. The reason is simple; diversity. You can't have PVE and PVP and maintain diversity of the classes. It simply can't be done. If you try then what you end up with is several races (good, bad, orcs, lizards whatever) with the same damn skills. The reason is that if you have PVP then you have to balance it around PVP and you can't have one race with better abilities. All races have to have the exact same skills or access to them. If not, then it's a balance nightmare. Thus all races end up having the same exact abilities maybe with different names.

If you build just PVE then you can have diversity where races have different abilities. You are not strangled by the need to balance players against each other. You can then concentrate on just PVE. Then you can have battlegrounds, CTF and such which are not the focus of the game but just a fun distraction.

There is nothing worse in an MMO than to have every class being able to play totally solo. Warriors should be able to take hits but not deal out a ton of damage (unless of course they give up their ability to take hits...aka Berserker). Healers should not have massive dps as well. I'm personally tired of MMO's that are nothing more than SOLO games where people only group when necessary. It kills the immersion of the game and defeats the entire purpose of an MMO.

I know people will disagree but if they understood true diversity and power it brings then they would understand my feelings on this topic. If you want to PVP then GO PLAY A PVP GAME. Stop trying to combine PVP with PVE as it simply does not work. It's boring and cookie cutter and well bleh.......

Dark Age of Camelot had 45 classes and 21 races... and it had both pve and pvp... which proves that if done well it works.
    Oyjord

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Why people keep saying sandbox and story don't mix? While there could be no themepark narrative there could be drops that start quests (Everquest). And in a line of quest story can be told. Why the hell not? There are actually other options, just get into it and think out of the box.
    I think people think of story like how it has been done lately, being led through a story, watching it unfold. It use to be the mmos had strong lore and when you delved into that lore, you experienced a story, and could even make your own story. That is how I felt in EQ and daoc anyway.
    SomeHumanRolanStorm