Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valve In trouble for third parties using service to gamble cosmetics?

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic Discussion
So I just read online that "Valve" is into trouble simply because third parties choose to gamble with skins which can be sold for real money to others?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/counter-strike-pay-to-spray-racket-is-a-little-tone-deaf?trk_source=recommended

And they were demand a cease of allowing skins to be transferred to other players?

http://www.wsgc.wa.gov/publications/press-releases/valve-pressrelease.pdf

So what are the chances that this won't happen to DOTA 2 as well, and what is happening with all other MMORPG games like Arche Age for example where players have to spend upwards of $200 Real Life currency to gamble on RNG items and cosmetics which can be sold for Real Money or gambled for real money outside of the game...

No action taken on any of these other games only valve so far?

I wonder if Steam will be forever ruined and valve will give into censoring trade.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think they will comply with the order. It is from Washington where they are headquartered. There is no virtual company shenanigans they can get away with here. They have to comply with Washington's gambling laws.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Cleffy said:
    I think they will comply with the order. It is from Washington where they are headquartered. There is no virtual company shenanigans they can get away with here. They have to comply with Washington's gambling laws.
    Yeah well hopefully they stick it to them because Trading Items has been a part of "Valves" Service for over 5+ Years, its not Valves fault that 3rd parties choose to gamble items, although I think the real problem here is the (API) Being used to gamble if restrictions were put on this to prevent bots from doing it it would stop the problem except for manual players who knowingly gamble and trade items... The other issue being that items have Real Money value prices listed on them...

I would assume if Items did not have "Real Currency" Value listed on them it would actually legally be okay to gamble items which have no (Real World Value?)

But what is the Gambling Commission doing about other MMORPG games where you can still gamble items, and RNG based games its still gambling when it involves real money transactions?

And how about Crypto Currency which is used for gambling and on the Black Market?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You have to gamble in US dollars for it to apply as gambling in the US. Changing it to anything else will negate the gambling laws. It would be interesting if Valve adopts bit coins.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Cleffy said:
    You have to gamble in US dollars for it to apply as gambling in the US. Changing it to anything else will negate the gambling laws. It would be interesting if Valve adopts bit coins.
    Ah that would be a good Loop-Hole then I guess, so if I gambled with "Real Life Gold Bars" would this be legal then, and this doesn't apply to "Currencies which can be traded for Real Money either"? 

I will go ahead and send a mail to valve to make them aware they might be able to do this then <3.