Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you be interested in a Wild West-themed game? (SPECIFICS)

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited September 2016
    TheFunky1 said:
    I see what you are saying but the fact was there were plenty of natives and immigrants around and they aligned all sorts of different ways.  Chinese gangs, mexican banditos and natives that declared war on anyone entering their territory regardless of skin color.  On the other side of that coin there were friendly tribes and settlers of all that aforementioned that were simply peaceful folk trying to make a living.  I think as long as you don't lump them all together and make them single minded it could be fairly historically accurate without being insensitive.

I'd just totally avoid any civil war references, not because I think history is something people should forget or ignore, but because it opens up way too many other cans of worms when it comes to a game.

Nothing wrong with npc's or player characters of all races creeds or colors being included in a way as long as you don't go for a cowboys vs indians game unless its some sort of baseball/football mashup.

I personally think any genre of game is interesting and can work if it has solid mechanics, smooth gameplay and something for people to work towards and accomplish.  Ive played countless sci fi games, fantasy games with elves and dwarves, dinosaurs and cavemen and ww2 era historical types.  Zombies, oh yeah there are a few zombie games out there.   The settings mattered so little it was the gameplay that determined whether I enjoyed myself or not.
    You can't separate out the aftermath of the civil war from  the wild west the two are inextricably linked. Also Mexicans are not foreign bandits, they were another conquered people trying to regain their independence. The whole period is a racist nightmare and should not be considered for a MMORPG.
    To be fair, pretty much all of Human History can be considered a racist nightmare. It doesn't matter which geographical area or historical time period of the world you want to choose.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    I just dont like the setting.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    edited September 2016
    4507 said:
    @TheFunky1: The way you explained it in that post was much clearer; that sort of system really does sound like it would work well and provide another dimension to the gameplay. It would have to be unlinke traditional factions to make sense though, in that rather than grinding tasks for unlawful influence/reputation you'd mostly just be assaulting the lawful.

@Joseph_Kerr: Would being able to protect your assets by forming co-operatives/gangs with other players resolve that, as suggested by @Gamer54321? As for the AFK crafting, could you tell me why you dislike that concept?
    Possibly, or maybe some sort of NPC family system built on tiers that takes an XP hit when you die representing demoralization. But i'm not too keen on losing all the progress i've made with a character either, if there a was system in place where you took control of one of your offspring upon death who retained some of your character's advancement I think it could potentially work. But that might involve some sort of settlement building/management system, which could actually be something really cool if player's NPC families could work the land/gather resources and set up trade routes with other player made settlements. 

As for AFK crafting, I don't like it because those systems can be abused/exploited. On top of that there are people out there who like to play mmo's as dedicated crafters and it eliminates their play-style for the most part. 

I'm also not a huge fan of no safe zones, even in the old west people were legally bound to check their guns when entering towns.

Gun checks.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-winkler/did-the-wild-west-have-mo_b_956035.html

"A check? That’s right. When you entered a frontier town, you were legally required to leave your guns at the stables on the outskirts of town or drop them off with the sheriff, who would give you a token in exchange. You checked your guns then like you’d check your overcoat today at a Boston restaurant in winter. Visitors were welcome, but their guns were not."
    Post edited by Joseph_Kerr on
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I understand the draw of fantasy.  Whether it's the wild west, outer space, or wizards and witches.  But having seen an ancestor's cabin from the mid 1800's at the local log cabin preservation site I can't suspend disbelief about what the west was like for this time period.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Grunty said:
    I understand the draw of fantasy.  Whether it's the wild west, outer space, or wizards and witches.  But having seen an ancestor's cabin from the mid 1800's at the local log cabin preservation site I can't suspend disbelief about what the west was like for this time period.

So you wouldn't believe vampires of the old west? 

How about Dinosaurs roaming around?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    This whole discussion reminds me of the kickstarter video for Wasteland 2 'can we put large space spiders in it?'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    As far as market goes:

Unless Westworld creates a "global interest" in the Wild West - not that Westworld is exactly Wild West - I think the market for such a game would primarily - not exclusively but primarily - be limited to the US, parts of South America say and perhaps a touch of Canada (Last of the Mohicans style perhaps). 

The basic theme is not a global one. And the age of Hollywood westerns is long past.

Other markets - realistically - would only become available if it became a huge hit - other markets as in Europe, Asia, Ocenia, Russia etc.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    gervaise1 said:
    As far as market goes:

Unless Westworld creates a "global interest" in the Wild West - not that Westworld is exactly Wild West - I think the market for such a game would primarily - not exclusively but primarily - be limited to the US, parts of South America say and perhaps a touch of Canada (Last of the Mohicans style perhaps). 

The basic theme is not a global one. And the age of Hollywood westerns is long past.

Other markets - realistically - would only become available if it became a huge hit - other markets as in Europe, Asia, Ocenia, Russia etc.

The second most popular show on AMC next to The Walking Dead is and has been Hell On Wheels. Not sure if AMC is worldwide or not

That said I do agree with the approach of evaluation on what might be globally popular.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited October 2016
    Speaking of western themed games. The tv show Westworld is now running, two episodes so far. Great show. :) Sort of based on the old movie Westworld, with Yul Brynner.

In that context, genre wise, it is mix of sci-fi and western.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Speaking of western themed games. The tv show Westworld is now running, two episodes so far. Great show. :) Sort of based on the old movie Westworld, with Yul Brynner.

i like the "sort of based" definition you used there :pleased:

r.i.p. yul. i kinda hope they will digitalize you in it somehow <3

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited October 2016
    Given how Westworld is a brand new and high budget tvshow, it probably has a more intricate and a more imaginative story and plot to it compared to the movie. I guess my point would be that I think the new Westworld tv series is not just a reboot.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    waynejr2 said:
    So you wouldn't believe vampires of the old west? 

How about Dinosaurs roaming around?

Still silly. Now, skinwalkers and wendigos would at least fit the setting far better then elves, vampires and dinosaurs so if you must involve legends or long extinct creatures go for native American themed ones instead.
    SEANMCAD said:
    gervaise1 said:
    As far as market goes:

The second most popular show on AMC next to The Walking Dead is and has been Hell On Wheels. Not sure if AMC is worldwide or not

That said I do agree with the approach of evaluation on what might be globally popular.
    AMC isn't no. Their programmes (some anyway) are picked up by other providers though outside the US - I have access to it for example. As its aired its final episode though we can say with confidence that "its no Game of Thrones".

And maybe Roman, Medieval and Future and ...... !
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Really not a fan of the wild west, its nice in shorter bursts, but in a MMO i think I'd get sick of it real fast.
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Throw some sci-fi in as well and I'll buy a lifetime sub =)

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    laserit said:
    Sounds like a gankfest
    That's pretty much what the Old West was if you were Indian. They were also being camped and griefed
    The Old West was not in India.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited October 2016
    Pre-face: I like about 80% of what you proposed. I'm picking it to pieces because sitting there saying "I like this, I like that" is kind of a boring post. I did vote no but as the post explains it's due to the inclusion of one REALLY bad feature.

"Death penalty: Lose all property, including land, claims, banked assets and carried items as well as a small (5-10%) amount of XP."

That was the tipping point for me. I love full loot PvP but if you lose literally everything. GG. It's just going to be a game of bandits with alts they hide in safe areas to keep their assets safe, and the occasional ganking of those alts.

Even if people don't use alts to abuse the system a death penalty THAT high would kill PvP. Who's ever going to go start fightings knowing everything they possess is on the line?

This is simply put, not a good feature. If you want to create the idea that nothing is ever 100% safe look to Wurm Online's PvP servers. Import the idea that you can create player owned structures and settlements and beef up their defences over time so that nothing is ever safe, but some things are mostly safe if you put a lot of time and effort into making them so. That's the only way you can implement this feature without running off 99% of the market.

Other things I dislike is the EVE crafting system. I'm tired of non-hands on crafting systems. EVE is a step above the usual timer watching but it's still a non-crafting system. Let's see some innovation.

And as always, everything is better without levels. It's the Wild West, it's an FPS. Let's see your gunslinging skills. Better equipment that you can lose when you die? Great. I'm all for that. But I don't want to have to sit there shooting rats for hundreds of hours to be able to not die like a chump in a shootout. Let my PLAYER skill determine how well I do.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    @Eldurian: firstly, the death penalty and AFK crafting system seem to be the most contentious features of my proposal, so I've been thinking a fair bit about them; for the death penalty, someone in this discussion mentioned corporations being able to hold assets jointly with other players, which would remove a lot of the sting of dying (adapted to the wild west, it would probably be co-operatives and gangs, perhaps also with Wurm's concept of building up defenses to defend assets from outlaws). As for AFK crafting, I'm not married to the idea, I just thought that most people attracted to a wild west themed game wouldn't be the type to grind. Judging from the comments in this discussion, however, perhaps there would be enough interest in the game to keep up a crafting community that can supply the demand.

Secondly, I disagree that everything is better without levels. I do agree, however, that everything is better without extreme powergaps and obligatory mob grinding, which is why I suggested that there be a level system that gives non-combat/indirect combat bonuses (more run energy, higher resistance to disease, higher jump, etc).
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I don't see myself playing that, SP stuff yeah but MMO feels weird for me.
    edited October 2016
    I admit I skimmed in parts. I thought you were suggesting it SHOULD give higher health and more damage. I see now after re-reading that is not the case. Your leveling plan doesn't sound like 100% what I want but it sounds like it's closer than most any other MMO in existence.

If you're reconsidering the land/bank loss on death and putting in a decent crafting system then this game sounds actually pretty damn fun. I would definitely try it out.

Not all Open World PvP sandbox players are here to murder people. Some of us love the genre because it's the most immersive game experience out there. I think that's where the demand for better crafting is coming from. Here are my thoughts on a great crafting system. Feel free to steal any you like:

http://harbingerhideout.enjin.com/forum/m/39251331/viewthread/28342556-crafting
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Thane said:

i like the "sort of based" definition you used there :pleased:

r.i.p. yul. i kinda hope they will digitalize you in it somehow <3
    Let's explore the possibilities.  Animation.  Robot.  CGI.  Look-alike.  Muppet.  Zombie.  Yul Brenner could be envisioned with any of those mechanisms.  Or even a few that combine several of these approaches.  Basically the same techniques I've already suggested for a new Police Squad! movie.

Get your glasses, Sheriff!  The 3D Muppet-zombie Yul Brenner bot is coming down Main Street!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    @Eldurian: very interesting ideas... I've been working on an outline of mechanics for a general crafting system lately, so these will be very helpful.

On levelling, do I understand correctly that you don't want levels at all, meaning the only means of progression would be in gear and possibly land?
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I find it interesting that the number of players interested almost halved when given the specific rules. I suspect the inclusion of what amounts to permadeath might have a lot to do with that.
    @4507 - So the way I personally prefer is called horizontal progression. A good analogy is the original Guild Wars. You reached maxed level with the strongest gear about halfway through the game by that time you had a solid set of skills and a solid build. But there were still probably hundreds of skills for your build you could pick up. These weren't better skills, they were different skills, that allowed more customization. My strongest and most often used build actually used 7 skills I got before level 20 and one skill I picked up after that point. I still loved hunting down skills for build experimentation though.

So horizontal progression is anything that allows you to continue building on your character without actually giving it a straight boost in strength.

I have some ideas I've been planning to put down for the ideal MMO I would love to design someday. Build capabilities would be strongly tied to carried items and there would be major downsides to carrying too many items. I think these ideas would work extremely in a Wild West setting. I will post them up for you as soon as they are ready.