Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First time playing since launch - hows the games current playerbase?

sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
Im a casual player, like to RP a bit, havent played since launch - I remember not liking the game too much because of the way content was leveled and you kind of just free-roamed everywhere. 

Im back to try out the game and see why its got the toprating here on MMORPG.com, how is the current playerbase? Is the game bustling? Comparable to any other current MMO's in terms of Population?

I saw the expansion that came out but it was like 50 bucks so I said screw that. IS the Ex Pac worth it?

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2016
    Hard to answer about the expansion. You will get wildly different responses because people loved it or hated it with not much in between. It changed the way GW2 works a lot. Since you didn't like it originally, that might work for you. But in my opinion, it's not worth spending the money on the expac just to find out. I'm sure you will get some colorful discussion going here in this thread.

Edit - and the population will depend on the server you choose. So if you start again, you might consider re-rolling on a populated one.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    If you hated the original game then I don't see how the expansion would change your mind.

And servers don't matter unless you want to play wvw a lot.
    PVE maps can be accessed by any server and the system will try to fill up a map before opening new ones.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I  have to agree.  If you didn't like the game before, I don't think anything will change for you.

As for players ingame, the game works to fill up a map and then opening up a new one when it gets crowded. I'm always seeing plenty of players around.
  • refo18refo18 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    There is still no "direction" other than your personal story...   then again you say you RP a little, so idk why having the option to explore and play the game as you wish is a problem.   WvWvW, SPVP, Map Completion, Fractals, Meta Events, Jumping Puzzles, etc.    Bunch of stuff to do, you just have to find what you enjoy. 

• Riotact007Riotact007 Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I've just got back into GW2 and after trying a few mmo's recently (BDO, FF14, ESO, Riders of Icaras to name a few) and GW2 definitely has the biggest player base.
  • jeatacjeatac Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I have always wondered why GW2 was so popular. Coming from WOW, EQ2 and RIFT I never really gave it a second thought as it was said to be basically a PvP game which my preference is PvE. I may try it out one day.
    jeatac said:
     it was said to be basically a PvP game
    Ask the disgruntled wvw community.
    PVE is clearly the focus of this game.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    jeatac said:
    I have always wondered why GW2 was so popular. Coming from WOW, EQ2 and RIFT I never really gave it a second thought as it was said to be basically a PvP game which my preference is PvE. I may try it out one day.

You might be surprised. Should give it a go.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited November 2016
    jeatac said:
    Any die hard GW1 PvPer will say that GW2 is mostly a PvE game.
    I agree with that statement.

GW1 started as PvP game with "a tutorial PvE" but with Nightfall, the GW franchise has been clearly PvE focused, eSports claims notwithstanding.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Odd, I started GW2 with the intention of only playing the PvE part of the game and now I almost solely play the PvP part. It offers both, of course, but for me I prefer the PvP. 
    DMKano said:
    I've just got back into GW2 and after trying a few mmo's recently (BDO, FF14, ESO, Riders of Icaras to name a few) and GW2 definitely has the biggest player base.

Definitetly?

And what actual proof do you have since none of those games shows detailed population numbers

Another case of personal observation being used as fact.
    You are right it is subjective.

I believe he meant the feeling of population rather than the numbers of players in total.
    The server system causes even low level zones to have a healthy number of players running around.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited November 2016
    Each zone in the game is filled with players from all servers in your region. When the zone is filled to capacity a second instance of that zone is made, and if needed a 3rd/4th/5th, etc.

So at times it will feel like there are tons of players because the zone you are in is filled.

But at times it could possibly feel empty because you aren't in the primary zone, but instead are in a newly created instance. That newly created instance is wobbling in population because the more populated instances of that zone have players coming and going, creating new openings to be filled.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    DMKano said:

Definitetly?

And what actual proof do you have since none of those games shows detailed population numbers

Another case of personal observation being used as fact.
    Way to over-think his statement.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    That might very well be true (probably is) but it is hard to tell since the megaserver technology means anything besides the WvW server will be pretty full most times of the day & night. Rerolling on a new server is not needed unless you like WvW and are on a server that performs really badly there.

As for HoT you can find it for about $35 if you look around a bit (Gamestop ships a hardcopy for $31 + freight but for some reason takes $50 for just a key) but if you get a key from an unknown site be sure that you use paypal so you can cancel the payment if they screw you.

And yeah, it is worth $31.

GW2 is not as railroaded as most other MMOs though and if you don't like that then you should probably look elsewhere.

The personal story will take you around the world but you will need to stop and do hearts  or DEs in those zones. If you have a hard time just walking around without any particular purpose then go for 100% completion of a zone you enter at low level and then move to one that starts around your current level or even is a couple of levels above it. Also, do the dungeons when you hit their level requirements and fractals when you max out.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Loke666 said:

GW2 is not as railroaded as most other MMOs though and if you don't like that then you should probably look elsewhere.

The personal story will take you around the world but you will need to stop and do hearts  or DEs in those zones. If you have a hard time just walking around without any particular purpose then go for 100% completion of a zone you enter at low level and then move to one that starts around your current level or even is a couple of levels above it. Also, do the dungeons when you hit their level requirements and fractals when you max out.
    I think that is sometimes one of the problems for new players since they can either get a session where they get Dynamic Event after Dynamic Event, making their play session very enjoyable, or a session where they hardly see any Event leaving them with mostly uninteresting hearts. 

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Loke666 said:

I think that is sometimes one of the problems for new players since they can either get a session where they get Dynamic Event after Dynamic Event, making their play session very enjoyable, or a session where they hardly see any Event leaving them with mostly uninteresting hearts. 
    A lot of events start by talking to NPCs too. There is no icon over the NPC either. New players may not really know about that.