Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky Subreddit Shuts Down

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Edit: It seems the subreddit has opened up again with a message by one of the modsSporkicide,  You can read the message that he is written by clicking here.

In a surprising turn of events it seems as if the moderators at the No Mans sky subreddit had apparently had enough and decided to shut it down, to the disdain of some 150,000 subscribers.  The said announcement was posted by moderator “rOugew0lf”:

“So I purged the subreddit. It’s become a hate filled wastehole of no actual discussion. It’s not what we intended it to be and I don’t like providing a platform for hate. I’m sorry to everyone who used the subreddit as intended but you are now in the majority. I’m sure you can find a different place to discuss this game. It’s not hard.”

“This was my decision and mine alone. The other moderators tried to sway my opinion but cynicism got the best of me as usual.”

There were a number of disgruntled players, who regularly used the subreddit as a way of voicing their displeasure about the game, and it seems that the moderator finally had enough as he decided to pull the plug on the popular subreddit.

http://www.thewolfhall.com/pc/no-mans-sky-subreddit-shuts/

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Yeah I think people are over trolling this.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Can't say I blame him, really, it must be depressing having to moderate a subreddit that's become a rolling hate fest.

Perhaps one of the haters should start up a new subreddit specifically for NMS abuse ? :D
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Yep.  Trolling can feed into the herd mentality.  Once the herd gets going, it's hard to stop.  I don't blame them.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Trolls and haters. 1 Moderators 0

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Kyleran said:
    Trolls and haters. 1 Moderators 0

Then it ended in sudden death!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    I'm glad their being investigated. Honestly it objectively DOES look like false advertising the way the game maker kept skirting telling the people what they were actually getting when they bought the game.  He had to make a blanket statement days before launch saying "if you want a multiplayer game don't look here" still not even fully owning up to the fact that the game has 0 multiplayer in it.

They were shady, we all know it.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    I'm glad their being investigated. Honestly it objectively DOES look like false advertising the way the game maker kept skirting telling the people what they were actually getting when they bought the game.  He had to make a blanket statement days before launch saying "if you want a multiplayer game don't look here" still not even fully owning up to the fact that the game has 0 multiplayer in it.

Got to be one of the craziest posts ever...guy says don't look here for Multiplayer...but never admits it is not in game? HUH ??

People and them not being able to see the truth when it is sitting on their head knocking and asking? ANYONE HOME?

Mob mentality at it's finest.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    Who the fuck cares? This an MMO forum. Why do we need updates on a single player games subreddit? GFY OP.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    madazz said:
    Who the fuck cares? This an MMO forum. Why do we need updates on a single player games subreddit? GFY OP.
    These are anything but "MMO" forums anymore, well since the big sell out in 2012 or so. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    DarLorkar said:

Got to be one of the craziest posts ever...guy says don't look here for Multiplayer...but never admits it is not in game? HUH ??

People and them not being able to see the truth when it is sitting on their head knocking and asking? ANYONE HOME?

People not being able to see the truth?
    You make it sound like their vagueness wasn't meant to be misleading on purpose.

If multiplayer wasn't meant to be in then why did the game package originally list it as feature and they had to cover that point with a sticker?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited October 2016
    Lawl

(I think No Man's Sky was a disaster for pc gaming)
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited October 2016
    Reading the subreddit now, apparently they admit that they deleted comments from the "reopening" thread which in addition to name calling were "vague complaints". Terrible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/55yt8y/subreddit_reopening/
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    OG_Zorvan said:
    The schmuck closed it down to get rid of all the "negativity". You know, like false advertisement investigations, Sean being a schmuck snakeoil artist, those things. A moderator moderates. A  fanboi trying to cover Hello Games collective asses burns the evidence.
    And what is the point of having a game forum when everyone just complain about said game in it?

Just complaining about a game over and over does not really help anyone. Saying why you quit in a post is fine and talking how to improve the game is good but just whine and whine is hardly fun to moderate, and it doesn't help if you do it for free.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Dakeru said:
    DarLorkar said:

You make it sound like their vagueness wasn't meant to be misleading on purpose.

If multiplayer wasn't meant to be in then why did the game package originally list it as feature and they had to cover that point with a sticker?
    Did Sean ever issue a blanket statement to the effect of "if you want a multiplayer game don't look here"? Was it broadly public? Could someone link to it? 

All I remember were the interviews, in which he did state that you would be able to meet up with your friends in game, however unlikely. A good verb I've seen someone else use for this is to "prevericate". Further, and I really don't like being hard on the new developer trying something unusual and outside the box, once my interest was piqued it turns out this was apparently only the tip of the iceberg. With a little digging you can find it yourself. Planets were supposed to follow more or less Keplerian dynamics, among other things. 

I originally read @Laughing-man as saying Sean *should* have issued such a statement. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Dakeru said:
    DarLorkar said:

Did Sean ever issue a blanket statement to the effect of "if you want a multiplayer game don't look here"? Was it broadly public? Could someone link to it? 

All I remember were the interviews, in which he did state that you would be able to meet up with your friends in game, however unlikely. A good verb I've seen someone else use for this is to "prevericate". Further, and I really don't like being hard on the new developer trying something unusual and outside the box, once my interest was piqued it turns out this was apparently only the tip of the iceberg. With a little digging you can find it yourself. Planets were supposed to follow more or less Keplerian dynamics, among other things. 

I originally read @Laughing-man as saying Sean *should* have issued such a statement. 
    Sure
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/no-mans-sky-is-not-a-multiplayer-game-hello-games-founder-says

This is after Months of him hinting that it would have multiplayer elements.
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309
    Yeah from that article:

No Man's Sky / 8 Aug 2016

No Man's Sky 'Is Not a Multiplayer Game,' Hello Games Founder Says

The chance of two players meeting 'is pretty much zero.'

By Jonathon Dornbush There are plenty of things No Man's Sky will be for those who pick it up upon release, according to Hello Games founder Sean Murray, but one thing it will not be is a multiplayer game.

Murray sought to clarify expectations for No Man's Sky ahead of its launch on PlayStation 4 tomorrow, August 9, in North America, and on PC on August 12, explaining in a series of tweets that players shouldn't go into the experience anticipating a multiplayer-focused game.

"To be super clear — No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don't go in looking for that experience," Murray wrote in the first of a series of tweets.

He does NOT say it does not have multiplayer, he says it's 'so large you probably won't ever meet anyone'.  HUGE difference as what he says infers there is mutliplayer but the game is so big you'll never see anyone.

Glad i refunded this mess.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Hype features - Check
    Limit actual game play videos - Check
    Disappear after launch - Check
    Less than 1% of players still playing after one month (on steam) - Check
    Delete subreddit of accusations - Check
    Get investigated for false marketing - Check

Seems Legit. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    I am amazed we are still talking about this game. Hasn't it all been said 100 times?
    Phaserlight said:it
    Dakeru said:
    DarLorkar said:

Sure
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/08/no-mans-sky-is-not-a-multiplayer-game-hello-games-founder-says

I breezed through the article. The sub-headline reads "The chance of two players meeting 'is pretty much zero.'"

Not off to a good start. Any student that has taken a class in information theory should know the difference. 

Murray begins heading in the right direction in the article but then did a 180 with this gem: 

Grade A bs, the day before launch. 

What Sean *should* have said, in my humble opinion, is "You will never see another player in this game; you will only see features that other players have named".

That would have been honest. 

Still waiting on a link to a broad, unequivocal statement, where Sean cleared up his prior misleading remarks, previous to launch. 

I don't think it happened. It still hasn't happened, as far as I know. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• Wonderboy100Wonderboy100 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    So basically if you don't praise NMS then you aren't allowed to voice an opinion? Sounds more like an advertising arm than a sub.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Phaserlight said:it
    Dakeru said:
    DarLorkar said:

Sure

I breezed through the article. The sub-headline reads "The chance of two players meeting 'is pretty much zero.'"

Not off to a good start. Any student that has taken a class in information theory should know the difference. 

Murray begins heading in the right direction in the article but then did a 180 with this gem: 

Grade A bs, the day before launch. 

What Sean *should* have said, in my humble opinion, is "You will never see another player in this game; you will only see features that other players have named".

That would have been honest. 

Still waiting on a link to a broad, unequivocal statement, where Sean cleared up his prior misleading remarks, previous to launch. 

I don't think it happened. It still hasn't happened, as far as I know. 
    Guy should be a politician ;)

"The chances of two players ever crossing paths in *a* universe this large is pretty much zero."

He said absolutely nothing about NMS in that statement.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    It seems you can't openly hate anything in this world anymore or your an evil person and must be shut out. 

I remember old forums and games where people chatted and the heated intensity from the conflict made things a lot more interesting then just sitting and chatting peaceable even if not much was accomplished from it. 

I believe this is part of whats missing from MMOs now.  There is really nothing to get excited over.  Everyone is fairly peaceful and considerate in most cases.  This makes for a boring world that is supposed to be about conflict and debauchery.  I often wonder how people find these forums or games amusing enough to participate in.

In regards to No Man's Sky I find it a fairly boring game.  It's like an old MMO, but bigger and without the interesting things provided by the players themselves in terms of competing or working together.  I can't really take the repetition of the game.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    quite a few subreddits have nazi white knight mods that isnta ban people.  your only recourse is to create a new subreddit.

An entire subreddit being shut down because the originator can't deal with criticism of the game is pretty laughable though.
    Enjoying a game shouldn't mean that one is obligated to swallow bs being served by its developer or advocates.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Torval said:
    He didn't shut down the reddit because people posted negative comments. He shut down the reddit because incessant bitching about the game wasn't good enough for the haters. Since they didn't get a reaction about their game hate they started in on the mods for not letting them troll the shit out of it.

It seems a lot of gamers these days like to wallow in the shit of misery and negativity. No wonder forums and discussion are ghost towns. How long can people go on about being lied to? Okay, you're pissed, now either move on or shut up because the people that like the game want to enjoy and discuss it.

That's not just no man's sky either. It's pretty much any game. Some people just want a place to hang out and burn the world, spread discontent, and direct their anger at people. There are subs for those people. Try /r/politics for a starter.
    Hiding your head in the sand, won't make the problems No Man's Sky has go away. I know most news media is like that (at least in the US). But pretending there are not problems and singing LaLaLaLa  isn't going to magically make the problems disappear. 

People just don't want the same thing to repeat in future games. And it isn't the only game I've seen false advertise many features or overhype them, probably won't be the last. But pretending there aren't issues is as crazy as some of those that hate anyone who actually likes the game.

I personally enjoy No Man's Sky for what it is. Though I enjoy SPORE a lot more, I still find No man's sky to just sit back and relax to. Doesn't mean I'm gonna hide my head and pretend there isn't problems with it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul