Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

27 cookies installed while visiting mmorp.com

CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
Lawl..

is this the new feature of mmorpg.com??

selling users intrests to third parties?

easy money

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Lawl..

is this the new feature of mmorpg.com??

selling users intrests to third parties?

easy money
    This is not a new thing. Although 27 does seem to be excessive.

I haven't given cookies a second though in years. Hell I've forgotten where to look on my computer for them.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually set the browser to reject third party cookies and ever so often run CCleaner to clean out the excess files and once a year or so run PrivaZer for a deep system clean.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    You running out of HDD space or something?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    All those programs that do a bad job when you uninstall them leave a lot of junk behind that affects system performance.  I try out a lot of games and programs during a year.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    And thus people here use Ghostery, Noscript, Adblock+ and a bunch of other add ons, and then the MMORPG.com people pop up and bitch that the site revenue sucks because people are using all those things.

If MMORPG.com was reasonable, more people would be too.

Someone posted a SS around here of MMORPG.com having no fewer than 43 or so widgets going on a main page.

If MMORPG.com is going to be insane about loading up their pages with that stuff, I feel no guilt about protecting myself from being buried by it.

• TeccaTecca Member UncommonPosts: 45
    NOTE: MMORPG.COM never sells or shares any of your personal information with other parties. All information is strictly for internal use and all e-mails are only sent from our facilities.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#privacy

Also, use your browser settings to reject certain cookies if you want. Opt out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
    I don't use adblocker or antivirus and my computer is fine.  According to your theories it shouldn't even turn on.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    filmoret said:
    I don't use adblocker or antivirus and my computer is fine.  According to your theories it shouldn't even turn on.
    I don't use adblocker but run malware bytes every so often and rarely get anything. Sometimes I'll get some advertising thing and I remove it and I'm good for months on end.

I tend to wonder where people go and what people do that this stuff is an issue! O.o
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    filmoret said:
    Not using even a free anti-virus program is foolish.  Nothing to brag about for sure.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    DarLorkar said:
    filmoret said:
    Not using even a free anti-virus program is foolish.  Nothing to brag about for sure.

Actually Windows Defender works better than any of the free virus software on the market.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited October 2016
    Tiller said:
    DarLorkar said:
    filmoret said:

Actually Windows Defender works better than any of the free virus software on the market.
    Actually, no. They improved Windows Defender in Windows 10, but it still doesn't rank as the top free antivirus (but it's better than nothing). http://www.techradar.com/news/software/best-free-antivirus-1321277 Of course, this list still can be debated.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    One for every ad queue?
    Tiller said:
    DarLorkar said:
    filmoret said:

Actually, no. They improved Windows Defender in Windows 10, but it still doesn't rank as the top free antivirus (but it's better than nothing). http://www.techradar.com/news/software/best-free-antivirus-1321277 Of course, this list still can be debated.
    They have a good list.  I remember when ZoneAlarm was number one.

Tiller said:
    DarLorkar said:
    filmoret said:

I would agree about needing antivirus if I ever actually got a virus.  20+ years of surfing the internet and only had like 2 issues and that was my own fault.  So no the antivirus software gets no money from me and no access to my computer.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Not using anti-virus software is foolish and no you don't have to pay for it.  Personally, I do pay for mine and get excellent protection but that's just my personal preference.  There are a variety of free solutions that work fine; AVG, Avast, the built in Microsoft client... I also use Web of Trust as a plugin in to screen sites I might want to visit and  run Malwarebytes occasionally as well.

I strongly recommend password protection; I use Lastpass and additional protection if you are banking online or doing anything that involves that level of sensitive information.  Trusteer is worth installing for that.

Most people can live with Window's firewall but I wouldn't recommend it per se.  There are better solutions out there.

Certainly, you can make the case that you can limit your risk by not opening e-mail attachments, surfing questionable sites and not ever using open access with any PC or device that syncs to your PC but you still aren't completely secure and that's where the virus software might save the day...Use a router?  Access the Internet at all?  You do that using a VPN right?  No?  You're at risk..

Here's another thought.  Use 2-factor authentication with a game account?  You should.  Using an authenticater or phone/e-mail makes a lot of sense.

I've been breached twice in the last 10 years.  Neither time was my fault despite all my precautions.  Catch this.. Both times it was Sony.  Yes, I no longer do business with Sony, as both times it was a nightmare to fix the problem with the hacker changing the e-mail associated with my account and essentially locking me out.  I would get an e-mail detailing a purchase.. Then another indicating the e-mail address associated with my account had been changed.. Usually Saturday night, as Sony only offers chat assistance on Sunday.  Sony just added 2 factor authentication which would have prevented both of these events; finally.  Too little too late for me after being treated so poorly.

My point is a virus can be a real hassle, a trojan or other malware can  be even more problematic.  Ransomware or actually having your personal information compromised after someone installs a keylogger on your machine is really going to hurt.  Is that worth rolling the dice?  No way.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

filmoret said:
    Tiller said:
    DarLorkar said:
    filmoret said:

I would agree about needing antivirus if I ever actually got a virus.  20+ years of surfing the internet and only had like 2 issues and that was my own fault.  So no the antivirus software gets no money from me and no access to my computer.
    I went a year without any antivirus program once.  If you stick to a routine you usually won't run into any problems.  My security is because I sometimes go to some nasty neighborhoods on the web to research stuff and get that, you have been infected by spyware notification that tries to lock up your system unless you pay them, or launches scripts to install rootkits and what not.  But I usually run browsers in a virtual shell that can kill everything in it.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    "I've been breached twice in the last 10 years.  Neither time was my fault despite all my precautions."

So what's the point of all your precautions?

I used to use anti-virus, but I still got viruses.  They didn't actually DO anything, so I stopped using them.  I haven't had a virus for years, AND I don't have to be annoyed with my anti-virus pretending to do stuff with annoying pop-ups and slogging down my system.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    "I've been breached twice in the last 10 years.  Neither time was my fault despite all my precautions."

I used to use anti-virus, but I still got viruses.  They didn't actually DO anything, so I stopped using them.  I haven't had a virus for years, AND I don't have to be annoyed with my anti-virus pretending to do stuff with annoying pop-ups and slogging down my system.
    Same here. I used to use anti-virus programs and still had problems. I had one lock my system and couldn't get in it.  I dont bother with anything now.  I havent had a problem in ten years.  Of course, you are always at risk online but I'm not convinced these anti-virus programs means Im any safer.  Feels a bit like the duck and cover from a previous generation.
  • zasdzasd Member UncommonPosts: 45
    flizzer said:

Same here. I used to use anti-virus programs and still had problems. I had one lock my system and couldn't get in it.  I dont bother with anything now.  I havent had a problem in ten years.  Of course, you are always at risk online but I'm not convinced these anti-virus programs means Im any safer.  Feels a bit like the duck and cover from a previous generation.
    Yea I used to use Anti-Virus also, got 3-4 Viruses... I do not use Anti Virus anymore and I Have been Virus free for 3 years now...

Anti-virus software gives people false hope... If I know I am going to a bad part of the web I do it in a VM... you would not believe the amount of people whose computers I fix that have viruses and Anti-virus...  

Besides if I ever have a problem, I cloned an updated copy of my drive and can be back up and running in less than 10 minutes, like it never even happened... I keep all my storage/data on my Linux based Home Server so I won't even miss a beat...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xodic said:
    zasd said:
     Yea I used to use Anti-Virus also, got 3-4 Viruses... I do not use Anti Virus anymore and I Have been Virus free for 3 years now...

It reads as if, because you don't have a detection system to tell you when you're infected, then you're not infected. As in, you're as healthy as a horse because a doctor as never said your health was bad, but you've never actually been to a doctor.

I don't believe it was intentional, but I have to admit I got a good laugh out of the way you structured that sentence.
    It just means they don't know if they have an infected PC or not, just because they haven't suffered from a ransomware attack doesn't mean that there aren't any number of trojans etc. sitting there patiently or not so patiently adding their PC's to a bottnet, indeed, without antivirus to detect those things how would they even know they are there? just because your PC isn't running slowly at times doesn't mean its okay, botnets are becoming more sophisticated, and are more than happy to be doing things with your PC when your not using it yourself, surprising perhaps or not perhaps, how many Mac's are in botnets without realising, and its not like there are that many Mac's out there :p
    Short answer, just because you think your virus free, doesn't mean you are.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited October 2016
    Xodic said:
    zasd said:

It reads as if, because you don't have a detection system to tell you when you're infected, then you're not infected. As in, you're as healthy as a horse because a doctor as never said your health was bad, but you've never actually been to a doctor.

I don't believe it was intentional, but I have to admit I got a good laugh out of the way you structured that sentence.
    It's weird but it's true for me too.  The only time I got viruses was back when I was using anti-virus programs.

There's a common scam where a trojan infects your computer and directs you to an an "anti-virus program" to get rid of the virus.  My parents actually fell for that one, unfortunately, and paid good money for it.  :(  And they were diligently running their McAfee anti-virus at the time they got it, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was shady stuff going on with many so-called trusted anti-virus programs.

Along the lines of what flizzer said, it reminds me of people selling bomb shelters in the 50s.  It gives you a sense of security but it doesn't really do anything.  Some are definitely more shady than that, too.

Don't confuse me not using an anti-virus with believing I'm safe.  It's just that I don't trust this or that program to keep me safe.  I try to not do stupid stuff on the internet- I think that more than anything has resulted in me not getting viruses anymore.

I think there is credence to the idea that running an anti-virus or a suite of protection programs/tweeks gives you a false sense of security, or at least it did for me.

All that being said, if I were to use an anti-virus, it would be windows defender.  That was the only one that didn't constantly annoy me trying to prove that it's doing something productive and worth my money (because it's free), and it actually amazingly did seem to do one or two things worthwhile.
    edited October 2016
    jonp200 said:
    Not using anti-virus software is foolish and no you don't have to pay for it. 

I strongly recommend password protection; I use Lastpass and additional protection if you are banking online or doing anything that involves that level of sensitive information.  Trusteer is worth installing for that.

Here's another thought.  Use 2-factor authentication with a game account?  You should.  Using an authenticater or phone/e-mail makes a lot of sense.

I would agree with you if I actually had proof and not theories about this.  I use the same password for all my games even this website and steam and have never once had anyone log into my accounts.  People usually lose their game accounts because they are dumb enough to use their email password when buying gold or something from shady websites.

I keep my email password different then anything and my bank password is unique as well.

Fact is the antivirus software is more of a hassle for me then its worth.  So this foolish person seems to be doing fine without all the crap that antivirus software puts you through.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Xodic said:
    zasd said:

It's weird but it's true for me too.  The only time I got viruses was back when I was using anti-virus programs.

There's a common scam where a trojan infects your computer and directs you to an an "anti-virus program" to get rid of the virus.  My parents actually fell for that one, unfortunately, and paid good money for it.  :(  And they were diligently running their McAfee anti-virus at the time they got it, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was shady stuff going on with many so-called trusted anti-virus programs.

Along the lines of what flizzer said, it reminds me of people selling bomb shelters in the 50s.  It gives you a sense of security but it doesn't really do anything.  Some are definitely more shady than that, too.

Don't confuse me not using an anti-virus with believing I'm safe.  It's just that I don't trust this or that program to keep me safe.  I try to not do stupid stuff on the internet- I think that more than anything has resulted in me not getting viruses anymore.

I think there is credence to the idea that running an anti-virus or a suite of protection programs/tweeks gives you a false sense of security, or at least it did for me.

All that being said, if I were to use an anti-virus, it would be windows defender.  That was the only one that didn't constantly annoy me trying to prove that it's doing something productive and worth my money (because it's free), and it actually amazingly did seem to do one or two things worthwhile.
    So, the only time you had a virus detected on your system was when you were using an anti-virus program.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    All those programs that do a bad job when you uninstall them leave a lot of junk behind that affects system performance.  I try out a lot of games and programs during a year.

Something like Revo Uninstaller is great at at removing the left behind junk.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited October 2016
    Personally I would rather use an A/V and deal with occasional false positives than with an actual virus that gets through because I inadvertently visited the wrong site.

It's kinda like back when I was single I rather put up with using a condom and avoid problems than not using one and then having to deal with extra little buddies hitching a ride because of a one night stand with the wrong lady.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.