Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who don't have time to play MMOs - Should more MMOs have a built in bot system?

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    suckm3 said:
     If you don't have the time, so don't fucking play it at all. Simple, isn't it? I can't see any point of making even more primitive MMO;s.
     Just take a look at WoW that's the good example why MMOs shouldn't be easy trash rewarding everyone who just pay his monthly fees and log 4 times in a month to do his LFR. MMOs should be time killers where you should spend plenty of time before you get some "legendary" loot. 
    Settle down Beavis.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    LynxJSA said:
    immodium said:
    Personally, it's not about lack of time. It's to catch up with friends who have advanced faster than I have.

Don't most MMOs have features like COH's mentor program to address that? 
    Some have implemented level scaling. But for a long time if I wanted to catch up quickly to friends buying XP pots was the way to go.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If this OP had been done tongue in cheek as a way to poke fun at the idiocy of paying extra $ to avoid playing large chunks of MMOs, it would have been a master stroke by provoking some here who habitually put a positive spin on XP scrolls, buying instant level 100 level-ups etc., to come out against this similar scheme.

I would have said "well done, sir on your subtle troll"... except unfortunately I think he's serious :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    immodium said:
    LynxJSA said:
    immodium said:
    Personally, it's not about lack of time. It's to catch up with friends who have advanced faster than I have.

Some have implemented level scaling. But for a long time if I wanted to catch up quickly to friends buying XP pots was the way to go.
    So you feel they should make an exception in your case and allow botting because you have such a reasonable excuse. 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Elminzter said:
    Time isn't a skill.
    What? 

I was going to pay someone to attend medical school for me so I can become a doctor because I don't have time to go.

huh? how is being a doctor the same as playing a mmorpg? one is a profession that pays bills whereas for the other it's a paid service?

logic....

Let me spell it out:

t.i.m.e i.s.n.t s.k.i.l.l.

brain...

edited October 2016
    kitarad said:
    immodium said:
    LynxJSA said:
    immodium said:

So you feel they should make an exception in your case and allow botting because you have such a reasonable excuse. 
    What do you mean by botting?

I used to macro in SWG pre NGE. Just setup my character, start macro. When I got home from work I'd have gained a bit of XP towards a certain skill.

That wasn't frowned upon and that was a sandbox type game.

I feel they don't need to make an exception for me as they're already allowing me to speed up the leveling process with XP pots.

If they wanted to implement something like SWG had with macroing I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm not competing with anyone when it comes to PvE.

Even if I was it's arbitrary.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited October 2016
    immodium said:
    kitarad said:
    immodium said:
    LynxJSA said:
    immodium said:

What do you mean by botting?

I used to macro in SWG pre NGE. Just setup my character, start macro. When I got home from work I'd have gained a bit of XP towards a certain skill.

That wasn't frowned upon and that was a sandbox type game.

I feel they don't need to make an exception for me as they're already allowing me to speed up the leveling process with XP pots.

If they wanted to implement something like SWG had with macroing I wouldn't have a problem with it. "

Even if I was it's arbitrary.
    I think there shoud be servers for you kind of peeps where everybody is botting and therefore you cant never catch up anything or anyone.

" I'm not competing with anyone when it comes to PvE."

And noone would not want to play with you either,its not about the competition ,its about do other peeps want to play with you or your kind of peeps.

Post edited by PAL-18 on

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Does that mean everyone would want to play with you? 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    PAL-18 said:

I think there shoud be servers for you kind of peeps where everybody is botting and therefore you cant never catch anyone.

" I'm not competing with anyone when it comes to PvE."

And noone would not want to play with you either,its not about the competition ,its about do other peeps want to play with you or your kind of peeps.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    if you are going to have bots, then you might as well have a portion of the game that can be played by a phone app and it gives exp, or you can design the game so ppl can play end game content from the beginning.

can make end game characters for example for pvp
    or a no lvl based system

and may be have some kind of solo epic quest ppl have to at least complete that shows they can do raids. so instead of 100s of hours to be 'ready' playing content that doesnt really prepare, actually have a quest that test players and may be even have an in game guide that show how to play classes.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Being able to play with friends and the community is important, it's the backbone of a successful MMO.

That being said, that shouldn't come at the expense of skipping all the content. Many games have done horrible with this.

I think that level scaling is the correct answer to this - CoH did it the best, I think, because they went both ways - low level players could scale up to play with their friends, and high level players could scale down to do the same. WoW Legion has went a step in the same direction - once your in Legion content, everything scales to your level and you can play with players of any other level on a roughly even field in the same content.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Why not literally pay to win ? instead of raise the CO2 from bot farm , why not let them pay ?

• MujonaMujona Member UncommonPosts: 108
    If you're going to ask for a bot so the game can be played without your interaction, you might as well skip the bot process and buy level-ups outright.

Reason that's frowned upon though is that it skips the content every other user has to put effort into. Many MMOs already contract the leveling curve with each expansion so that players can grind to the newest content efficiently. If you can't find time in the course of a few days to clear said content then making the game entirely superficial to play is not the answer.

The actual solution is to seek an entirely different kind of game. Something that caters to one's availability or uses mechanics that allows for a hands-off or macro-scale control of the experience.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    ummmm... assuming this is a serious question --NO.
    Rhoklaw said:
    I suck at FPS, should game developers implement a panda hugging mechanic that kills all enemies on the map so I don't have to run around and get killed by all the campers and snipers?
    They do:

IDDQD

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Simple answer for me is NO.  What's the point?  If you are not playing then there is no point in it.  And if the only reason you want to bot is because something is a grind you don't enjoy then that is a reason to do something else or play something else.  I have played games where botting is legal and they suck.  Hell I remember one that actually ran you to a quest then killed the mobs there to, what's the point in playing if that is what you are doing.  Botting also makes it ok for the developers to create a boring system that is just a grind because they know no one is going to sit and do it, no thanks. 

Games are meant for fun, botting does not equal fun.  If time is a problem the gaming may not be the best hobby.  Or at least gaming that requires massive amounts of time.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If macroing and built in-botting are not the answer. There needs to be a way to take down the 1% to an even playing field.
    <snip>.
    Hmmm.  Why does there need to be an even playing field?  You've switched from 'enable me' to 'hamper them'.

It would be nice, I'll grant you that.  Lionel Messi makes more money than I do.  It really shouldn't matter that I'm almost 60, with 5 congestive heart failures and a couple of strokes to keep me grounded.  Don't nerf Messi.  I'm not asking that.  Buff me up to put me on even financial footing.  Like what you originally suggested with bots.

Every time I've observed life, it doesn't work that way.  Life isn't about fairness.  It's not an even playing field.  Some people will have more time, more aptitude, more money than you, and will be able to use that time, aptitude or money to achieve more than you.  If this bothers you, why not feel superior that you have more neuroses and psychoses than those 1% you're worried about.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It says a lot about how compelling the game play is when you would rather have a computer program play the game for you.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    It says a lot about how compelling the game play is when you would rather have a computer program play the game for you.
    I remember having a similar discussion on the Minecraft forums years ago about automated mob farms.

Some people classed that as cheating.

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    sandbox mmo or not, I think all mmos should start integrating in non-combat classes this will help with people who don't have enough time to do quests or raids and stuff but little stuff that don't involve combat. fyi I'm not trying to insult anybody I'm just giving out a suggestion.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    edited October 2016

Discussion / For those who don't have time to play MMOs - Should more MMOs have a built in bot system?

Ultimates maximums bot megahelper : The Bot for those who don´t have time  to play 
    -ultimatums life saver megabot ,this bot run 25/7 it is not just a bot ,its more than that ,why do you play your games by yourself? or even buy them? Megamaxi not just only play for you and finish your games it also buys new games for you!
    -turn it on today and tomorrow it has finished dozens of games for you and bought dozens of new games and finished those also!

Ultimates maximums next gen bot for those who dont´t have time to play

With this "tool" you will never feel lonely ,only maximum king feelings guaranteed
    !

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm massively against bots - there is absolutely no reason to have them in your game. There are much better solutions. The reasons the OP has stated for having bots:

1) Feeling left behind

This is a personal issue. If you feel left behind it means you only value yourself in comparison to others. Regardless of botting or not, this issue will never go away for certain people, they will always find a way to feel left behind. 

2) Can't play with my friends

If your friends have more playtime that you, you often can't play together. There are many solutions. Mentor systems, scaling, reduced power gaps or horizontal progression. All of these provide much better ways to play with friends than botting. 

3) I feel underpowered

Those that can grind out 4 hours a day, every day, will of course have more time to level up and collect the best gear. This can leave many feeling underpowered. Again, this is only a problem for a small section of the community. However, can be solved by smaller power gaps / horizontal scaling, or my preferred method is to have a deep combat system where success is based on player skill, not time spent in game. 

Introducing bots also creates a ton of extra problems that the OP, in his usual troll way, has overlooked. 

1) Skipping content

This is by far the biggest issue with bots. They let you skip content altogether, or at least trivialise it. This reduces enjoyment and longevity of the game, resulting in less people participating and thus less revenue. 

2) Server resources

Bots would result in extra resource consumption on the servers. Probably not a massive overhead, but enough to make it cost extra money. 

3) Won't actually solve the perceived problem

Just because you've gotten a bot to level you up, doesn't mean you're now winning. There will always be a skill barrier for the final endgame content and likely always another tier of gear that can't be farmed by bots. The elite will always remain in every MMO, regardless of whether they get there through time or skill. 

4) The elite don't set the direction of development. 

Another fallacy in the OP, the elite 1% of endgamers don't set the direction of development. If they did, we'd have far more raids and pvp in our MMOs. As it is, devs cater to the largest market segment - solo casual players - hence why all MMOs have been steadily dumbed down and been made solo. 

5) "Dominating" is only possible in pvp.

OP keeps refering to the top 1% dominating in MMOs. Such a thing is only possible in pvp. It is rarely level / skill levels that allow them to dominate (most people in pvp are max level as well), it is usually gear and player skill that allows them to dominate. 

If gear is an issue, it means the game is designed badly - any game that has both pvp and power gaps has been made wrong - so you can more easily fix this through horizontal gear progression or at least reduced power gaps. 

More often, it is player skill that is the determining factor and bots simply can't overcome that. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Congratulations!

I did not think it possible given the enormous entitlement mentality of many players nowadays but you have blown the lid of that cap and taken the meaning of entitlement way out there to the next level in the stratosphere somewhere.

Please allow me to edit the title of this thread for you and re-type it as it should read ...

For those who don't have time to play MMOs ... 

if you don't have the time, then don't play!!!

What are you talking about.  Players should be able to buy time equivalency in games.  Playing games is old hat.  You just need cash to get everything and then post up in town and look leet. 

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Yea, if you do not have time to play. Than what time you do have is better spent elsewhere.Unless a game is set up for botting which no game is than botting should never be allowed as it undermines said game. There is plenty of free to play games that allow you to throw down some cash to stay caught up, play one of those.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited October 2016
    For those who don't have time to play MMOs - Should you folks post in this thread instead?

I suggest no.

Edit: We all have been baited, grats for TheScavenger!

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.