Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who don't have time to play MMOs - Should more MMOs have a built in bot system?

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If you don't have time to play then don't play that's what I think. It should be time put in equal how good you are. WoW has already added an instant gratification system to make you feel like you've done something no matter how short or long you play although for me from the older school of gaming think that's a stupid system too it's not as stupid as legalized botting.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't see the point. You can easily solve this with offline XP (which is a bad fix but far better then what you suggest) or preferably to not have the game so boring people need bots for part of it.

You shouldn't solve bad game design by putting a band-aid on it, just make it so gaining skill and stuff is fun.

If you don't have time to play MMOs though you should stick with singleplayer games instead. Bots mess it up for the people that actually can and want to play. Anyone who been stuck in a zone full with bots know what I am talking about.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Time isn't a skill.

With that said, if you don't have enough time to play a game don't play it. Asking how to play a game without playing it is silly.

Developers have to find a proper balance between rewarding people with time and talent, and rewarding people with a problem.

[insert username] is an idiot.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    In Ultima Online, they allow botting to grind skills. And there are some other MMOs with a bot-like system. There is of course EVE where you can train skills in real time, though its slow as paint drying.

However, should more MMOs have a built-in bot system? For example, for those who don't have time to play and complain about time to win...shouldn't the developers allow them to grind levels (or skills) when they can't play? And allow also looting for gold and items?

This would prevent someone who has all day to play games, a huge advantage over someone who has to work and spend time with family and real life obligations. And they'd get a bit of gold/items out of it, so they aren't at a disadvantage.

Would this work in MMOs like GW2 and WoW? Especially WoW, the winners are the ones who play all day and do world firsts...the no lifers. But what about those who have to work and spend a lot of time with family? This would let them still keep up with the " 1 percenters", but still also allow them to have fun and play the game like it was intended at endgame.

Ultima Online, Asheron's Call and SWG all allowed this, and it greatly benefited the game for the people who subscribed and played the game. This would also remove the grinding part of the game, which a lot of gamers don't like about MMOs in general. The no lifer can of course still grind like usual, but the person with a severe lack of time can still keep up with the 1% who dominate the MMO.

I think it would be great for more MMOs and current MMOs to allow this. Again, a major issue (at least in WoW) is the 1% who dominate the game due to them having all the time in the world to play. Everyone else are like the rats scavenging for anything they can. A lot of MMOs are like this sadly. 

But old MMOs (again UO/AC/SWG) allowed bots or others have had built-in bot system and it really helps those with not much time to play compared to the 1% who dominate.

What does everyone think? Personally, I think this would be a great feature as it would completely remove someone just playing 24/7 and them being at a massive advantage. Again, most if not all old MMOs allowed this...why not bring it back?
    Sure,separate servers for gamers and botters and cash shoppers.
    I play on private servers with gamers and its pretty awesome,i bet botters and cash shoppers would like to play with cash shoppers and bots so solution is pretty simple.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Yes it is ok if like UO. Can only use it for lvling not for gold farming or questing. It would also kill gold farmers and lvling spammers. A win win
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    edited October 2016
     If you don't have the time, so don't fucking play it at all. Simple, isn't it? I can't see any point of making even more primitive MMO;s.
     Just take a look at WoW that's the good example why MMOs shouldn't be easy trash rewarding everyone who just pay his monthly fees and log 4 times in a month to do his LFR. MMOs should be time killers where you should spend plenty of time before you get some "legendary" loot. 

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    You could implement how EvE does it if you can't be bothered to setup a macro. When you're not playing allow the game to switch your skill advancement to time based.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I wish people learnt a simple rule of not taking on things you have no time for. Don't play if you do not have the time and don't cheat in multiplayer games. Botting is cheating.
    Chamber of Chains
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Personally, it's not about lack of time. It's to catch up with friends who have advanced faster than I have.

I don't play a singular game religiously. I play multiple games at the same time. So I will lag behind people I group with.

I can buy XP pots now so it's not much of a problem.

SWG had macroing. I could set up a macro, go to work and my macro would level up certain skills, brawler or surveying for example.

• vwmafiavwmafia Member UncommonPosts: 21
    MMORPG's are about Role Playing, the story, immersion and about creating a bond  with your character. All of these things are related with spending time on the game. Using bots or having the game offering you a bot mechanic to use, will make all of these aspects of a MMORPG's worthless. The game will feel dull and meaningless to play in my opinion.

See it as the new uprising auto walking future in today's mmorpg's. It destroys the adventure and exploring part of the game. 

Soo, If you don't have the time than don't play MMMORPG's because you will end up hopping to another one in about a month. Spent your time on other type of games, like shooters for exmaple where you can hop on play a few matches and come back the day after for a few more. 
  • abnesherabnesher Member UncommonPosts: 112
    It's all about YOU playing a game. Not a GAME playing a game.

If an MMO is mostly about interacting with a fantastic world and having a character live it's own cyberlife alongside other inhabitants, then it doesnt matter how much time you have to play. It will all be about the interaction with other people and the cyberworld you all share (Be it combat, crafting, socializing or whatever). The more different kinds of interaction there is, the better, and your place in this world is justified no matter the amount of time you put in to it.

If an MMO is about getting to one or two goals as fast as possible, while competing with most of the other inhabitants of the gameworld, then it matters a lot, how much time you have to play.

I like both kinds of MMOs, but these days I find that the far majority of MMOs is the latter kind. I think this is very sad for the genre and the reason why a lot of people have to give up playing an RPG where you play with a massive amount of other players.

---------
    no sig

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    I complain about P2W and T2W, but I would not play a game with official botting.

I don't really feel a need to explain why - I  would simply not play it / stop playing it once they would implement it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sulaa said:
    I complain about P2W and T2W, but I would not play a game with official botting.

I don't really feel a need to explain why - I  would simply not play it / stop playing it once they would implement it.
    It was many years ago, but I thought I might give AC1 a try. Did some research on it and found out most players were using a particular botting "package."

While not officially built into the game it was clear the devs were doing nothing to stop it and it killed any interest I had so never played it.

Even now I don't set up macros on my keyboard or mouse, nor do I want to play games such as WOW with built in capacity for user created "Mods"

In fact, I've never "modded" Skyrim, Fallout 3 because the word has a bad connotation with me. (even though it's probably not at all the same thing, being on a single player game)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2016
    The built in bot system is called the "cash shop" where you buy anything that dedicated play and teamwork gets less entitled players.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Fuck yeah, a gamebot sounds awesome!  Also, I can't wait for them to replace me at work with a bot so I don't have to do that annoying shit anymore.  Wait...
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Time isn't a skill.
    What? 

I was going to pay someone to attend medical school for me so I can become a doctor because I don't have time to go.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry as the OP seems serious.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Why would you want to play a game to not play a game? Shouldn't you just not play the game if you're not going to play it?
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Time isn't a skill.
    What? 

I was going to pay someone to attend medical school for me so I can become a doctor because I don't have time to go.

huh? how is being a doctor the same as playing a mmorpg? one is a profession that pays bills whereas for the other it's a paid service?

logic....

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    imo, having a bot system could help justify for a p2p mmorpg sort of a service fee, really whats the fun in grinding for something which does nothing in the real world, i would rather grind real $$$ than worthless virtual crap which expires when said mmorpg close doors...

we live in a real world where most people hv bills to pay...
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Bots no but henchmen yes

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Scorchien said:
    UO and AC did not allow botting and the extensive macroing (which some of was bannable in there hey days)
     Until the communities for both games fell to numbers that it became acceptable and permissbale by the remaining communitiy and devs ..
    Cmon it was blatamtly obvious that almsot everyone in UO used macros and scripts to raise their skills and i dont remember anyone getting banned....It was one of my biggest complaints then and even now about skill based games is that so many players bot their way to max skills.....Like others have said these games are meant to be played.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    UO and AC did not allow botting and the extensive macroing (which some of was bannable in there hey days)
     Until the communities for both games fell to numbers that it became acceptable and permissbale by the remaining communitiy and devs ..
    Cmon it was blatamtly obvious that almsot everyone in UO used macros and scripts to raise their skills and i dont remember anyone getting banned....It was one of my biggest complaints then and even now about skill based games is that so many players bot their way to max skills.....Like others have said these games are meant to be played.
    Ive been playing UO for 19 years now , have Never used a Macro or Script or Bot , and know i can say the same for many of my friends , Also in that time i have seen many people banned for such actions
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    immodium said:
    Personally, it's not about lack of time. It's to catch up with friends who have advanced faster than I have.

Don't most MMOs have features like COH's mentor program to address that? 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys, I couldn't beat Mario Bros. back in the day. Nintendo should allow me to buy a bot that completes it for me, so I can tell folks who won't spend that money on something that silly "git gud".

On the other side of the spectrum, apparently if you can't dedicate 8-10 hrs a day on a game, you're a filthy casual who needs to step their time skills up. Time = Skillz yo. Practice makes perfect.

This... is... MMORPG!
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯