Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios: The Opening Gambit - New World Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageAmazon Game Studios: The Opening Gambit - New World Columns

Following months of speculation, Amazon Game Studios has finally revealed what it’s been working on for the past few years. Surprisingly, it’s not a single launch title that’s been announced at the Unboxing event, with three related titles sharing the stage. All of them have a strong online component, utilised in a way that’s familiar to gamers.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I fear a future where Amazon dominates all industries.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Never played moba, but breakaway seems fun!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm a prime member, so I'll be good.  All hail Amazon.

As far as games go, I'm hoping they are successful.  It would be nice to have another AAA player in the game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I think that these services can, and will, revolutionize the entire gaming industry.  As someone who has spent countless hundred hours on things like the GECK and the Skyrim Creation Kit, this engine is highly intriguing to me.

It's a free, full source engine with something like 100 tutorials already out for how to create just about anything.

I'm so intrigued by all of this that I may just start working on my own little game for myself testing out a modified version of the GURPS rules for character creation and progression.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm a prime member, so I'll be good.  All hail Amazon.

As far as games go, I'm hoping they are successful.  It would be nice to have another AAA player in the game.
    Sure... Right up to the point that the new guy eats all the others.  If they dip their toe in... Great.  But that's not their M.O.

Just look at FBA and AWS.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    DMKano said:
    I think Amazons own games must get major traction for this to work.

Breakaway certainly won't do it, it's just not good enough.

So that leaves the other 2 games, one must be a hit ro gain traction.

I think they have their work cut out for them, it certainly won't be easy - video gaming is a HARSH business
    I'd agree with you on Breakaway. It feels like a game that should've just been shoehorned in after at least 1-2 hits. Personally, I dont feel Crucible has it either. The reality of a shooting game market is that people will end up lumping them all together if they have shooting, regardless of the gimmicks associated. So, pretty much people will compare this to OW even if they are completely different (just like they did with Battleborn) and it will get phased out since its mostlikely going to be a b2p title. Which ultimately leaves New World....
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2016

OG_Zorvan said:

Amazon needs to stick to selling other peoples' games, not making their own. I consider Jeff Bezos to be worse than Steve Jobs only because Jobs had the good grace to die first.

This is some classy sh!t bruv. Who hurt you?

Outside of the above, it's a great opporunity to test out something different with a large budget. Looking forward to more info... fast if possible (*looking at @BillMurphy ).
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    im also concerned and underwhelmed but let's hope for the best...new world is the only thing im remotely interested in IF it turns out to be a mmoRPG and not a hyped up rust...
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    FYI< the game is F2P. Yep. How do I know this.

We're happy to let you know that the item you requested is now available to order from Amazon.com. Please act quickly there's no guarantee that it will remain in stock for long.
    Video Games
    New World [Download]

New World [Download]

Pre-order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price.

Availability: This item has not yet been released. Access your content the minute it comes out. Ships from and sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC.

Price: $0.00

Based on that. The game will not have a boxed price. It is already set up to be F2P. Scary!

• Zarkin86Zarkin86 Member UncommonPosts: 122
    edited October 2016
    dear author, how can it be a gorgeous sandbox MMO if we havent seen one bit from the game? or am i missing something?
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Zarkin86 said:

dear author, how can it be a gorgeous sandbox MMO if we havent seen one bit from the game? or am i missing something?

The same way the know at least New World will be a "AAA" game, despite not knowing how much money Amazon actually puts into it. Sure, some big names joined Amazon Game Studios, and big names never failed to deliver..oh wait.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Like I said before all their games are going to be mobile based, that is where they think the largest market is.  So anyone thinking they will be making a sandbox MMO is really dreaming.

That is why I would not get excited about this, at least at this point, there is not a good mobile game out there and probably won't be for some time, the screens are just too small.
  • TheFunky1TheFunky1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Why do I feel like I am cheating the system for pre-ordering all of these for free?
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Anireth said:

Zarkin86 said:

The same way the know at least New World will be a "AAA" game, despite not knowing how much money Amazon actually puts into it. Sure, some big names joined Amazon Game Studios, and big names never failed to deliver..oh wait.
    And beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which is why they can get away with saying that about any game!
  • TeccaTecca Member UncommonPosts: 45

Zarkin86 said:

We have seen a bit of the game. Very little and nothing to get too excited about, but it's there. Whether it changes drastically or not in the future, it does look nice.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    edited October 2016

Ozmodan said:

Like I said before all their games are going to be mobile based, that is where they think the largest market is.  So anyone thinking they will be making a sandbox MMO is really dreaming.

That is why I would not get excited about this, at least at this point, there is not a good mobile game out there and probably won't be for some time, the screens are just too small.

None of the three announced titles are mobile based, Oz. And in fact, New World IS a sandbox MMO.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    There's more pissing and moaning here than at a truck stop bathroom on $5 molly night.

I think this is awesome. An all inclusive, out the door approach to gaming. There is some trepidation but also a fair bit of optimism.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Breakaway looks like a mod more than a game  and a cheap looking one at that.
    With all their money they chose the low end graphics and the character animations often look bad.
    I read up on this trio and it seems their main goal was to simply cash in on what they already cashed in on ....TWITCH,these games are aiming at utilizing twitch.
    Amazon owns twitch,Twitch makes loads of money,so now they can feed their money tree.
    Come back to me when their games look professionally made and not like some 1-2 people making a mod.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    We will see. The only thing that keeps me somewhat hyped is Amazon's resource's are virtually endless. No crowdfunding or begging for more funds from this company.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I look at how their TV side developed.
    I look at the production standards they set for their TV.
    Their TV model which produces pilots - which is unusual given the relatively high cost of pilots. Netflix say order a full series, NBC, CBS typically go for 13 with an option on a back 9 if the rating are good enough.
    The fact that they have started by building their own engine.

I think we can say that this is indeed an opening gambit.
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Zarkin86 said:

=The Point

= You
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
    edited October 2016

Ozmodan said:

None of the three announced titles are mobile based, Oz. And in fact, New World IS a sandbox MMO.

sandbox mmo can mean rust or warz or dayz or h1z1 or conan exiles (which isnt even out yet - but lets be real) or any of those other stumps

Aori said:

The only thing I know for certain is that Amazon has come out swinging.

Tying Twitch to Amazon Prime is huge, like really huge. Amazon is carving out a new market, it'll bring in new and old gamers alike I think.

Pretty exciting honestly, we haven't had a contender like this enter the field in a long long time.

its really rather "small fodder" outside the us where the services are so substantially limited you get that no one gives a shit...at least in europe, i dont know about asia...same as with netflix - pirating, ehm sorry, "sharing" movies is also super simple, convenient and in a lot of countries in europe not really punished

Coated said:

We will see. The only thing that keeps me somewhat hyped is Amazon's resource's are virtually endless. No crowdfunding or begging for more funds from this company.

true - they have resources, but how many of them will they be willing to poor into untested unfamilier space without seeing success...not so sure...ea also has a lot of resources and produces shity gams - so do a lot of other aaa publishers...
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    edited October 2016
    Pretty sure people have already said several times on here that the Elder Scrolls Online is not made from the Hero Engine. The Hero Engine was used for a prototype of sorts but the actual game you see now is ZeniMax's own engine. Not sure why you guys at MMORPG.com continue to try to pass it off as fact-the Hero Engine sucks for MMORPGs in my opinion.

As to Amazon Game Studios, while I look forward to their games I honestly don't believe what the author here is saying. I don't care about Twitch intergration or any other social intergration options in the games I play, and I don't think many other gamers care about such things either. I don't see how any of that "revolutionizes" online gameplay in any way or form. I'd rather them focus on the gameplay.

Smile