Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Games' New World is a 17th Century Paranormal MMO - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Yet another PvP gankfest "sand box"? I thought that the "survival" gimmick had been worn out by this time.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    A Penny Dreadful MMO - Yes, Please!   Just please do the combat better than Secret World.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Wraithone said:
    Yet another PvP gankfest "sand box"? I thought that the "survival" gimmick had been worn out by this time.
    No, I'm pretty sure the gimmick that has worn thin is the "let's take our merry band of adventurers and run off to kill the big baddie (the game won't let us lose because it might damage our egos) so we can gather enough gold (supplemented via cash shop) to play barbie dress-up, home decoration, and hide from the real world".

Now that's something that NEEDS to die.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    edited October 2016
    Worth keeping any eye on but not worth any hype until they say more then sandbox.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Wraithone said:
    No, I'm pretty sure the gimmick that has worn thin is the "let's take our merry band of adventurers and run off to kill the big baddie (the game won't let us lose because it might damage our egos) so we can gather enough gold (supplemented via cash shop) to play barbie dress-up, home decoration, and hide from the real world".

How about you're both wrong (insert something more insulting for effect)  just on opposite ends of the spectrum.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited October 2016
    Sounds really promising, and even if it is overly twitch oriented I'd take that over the alternatives we received over the past decade. So many people, myself included, have been asking for a AAA sandbox and finally we have one. Also, I loved the purely mature setting AoC and no one since had, here's hoping they do something similar!
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Interesting, since CCCP abandoned the WoD.O. there was a gap for adult MMORPGs. Also I read comment about the history of that era but I dunno how much they will follow it, although it sounds excellent as base content to use and expand. With witches, voodoo and animal spirits but also gun powder and imported skills of swordfight from Europe and Eastern Asia...

But now its really early for all these promises and the only stuff I can think and worry about is this twitch integration. How it will happen? They will try to recreate the DayZ into a fantasy theme?

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DMKano said:
    Jyiiga said:
    Well glad to see someone with a fuck ton of money is willing to give the sandbox MMO another go.

I have serious doubts that this will be a deep sandbox MMORPG - they are going for watchability, and twitch streaming - complexity and depth make BORING streams. 

Black Desert with all it's system is boring as shit to watch, same with a lot of farming/crafting intricacies of AA - it's boring for others to watch that.

Since all Amazon games are going for heavy "twitchability" - I don't think they're going to be very complex/deep games - so even as a sandbox - I expect this one to be a very light sandbox game.

Just my 2c.

See this:

"Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition."

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

Does that sound like a deep sandbox MMORPG to you - nope

Their top priority is to make it very watchable and streamable, not to make a deep MMORPG
    I do not 100% agree with this assessment. Building bases, establishing power is going to be boring, that I agree with, but if done right once the bases are built, territory claimed (bandits etc) I can see the game play at that point taking a turn and becoming twitch worthy.

Also, believe it or not people just playing GW2 (for instance) get followers. No kidding, just grinding levels in GW2 and there were something like 50 watchers when I roamed through a few hours ago. So people will watch anything.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TheFunky1TheFunky1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    We have such limited information on it that it makes it currently the best game ever that I haven't played.  I am an optimist so it has all the cool stuff I always wanted and none of the junk that annoys me.

If I was feeling a bit pessimistic today it would of course have all that crap that ruins games and none of what I deemed important.

A setting is just a backdrop really and is usually the least determining factor to why I play games.  I can think of past present and future settings and all of those in between that set the backdrop for some games I loved and some I didn't care for at all.  

There are probably thousands of games with elves and fairies and dwarves and I am just thankful it doesn't seem to be leaning towards that.

Time will tell what its actual content and game play is like and I really hope they hit this one out of the park with their big backing to produce something that keeps me entertained for at least a few months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Wraithone said:

How about you're both wrong (insert something more insulting for effect)  just on opposite ends of the spectrum.
    How about no one cares that you can't seem to grasp the concept of opinions.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    So many buzzwords..........
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Anything by Amazon is sure you be good! This looks like a very interesting and fresh concept, I will definitely keep updated on it.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• AndersweltAnderswelt Member UncommonPosts: 23

My problem is the Mature rating... I'm Christian (Catholic) and I dont play games with that rating.

Too bad, was excited. Not now. Wont be playing.

Back to WoW and waiting for Camelot Unchained.

what does rating have to do with being able to play a game or not? Why would it matter if it was rated "Teen", and if it was the same exact game? If it helps, in the UK will be rated teen as they aren't as fanatical over there about ratings as in the US. Even nudity is allowed there and anyone can see it no matter the age lol

But I'm guessing this is just a troll post made to make laughs :D

I dont troll, thanks... No, its all about nudity. I can deal with violence and scary things. But it is against my religion and morals to be exposed to nudity when I make all efforts to keep purity for Jesus. I dont know if they will have nudity in it but in most games with the Mature rating tag, there it is. I plan on playing Camelot Unchained because I love PvP and it has hardly any nudity whatsoever.

Now if someday I find out this game is Mature rating only for scary imagery, and minimal nudity, then yes I will probably play it. But right now the Mature rating makes me think against that.

Ah you gotta love fanatical religious zealots thinking nudity the most natural thing in the world is somehow bad while violence is ok ...
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited October 2016

Ah you gotta love fanatical religious zealots thinking nudity the most natural thing in the world is somehow bad while violence is ok ...
    Actually, this is more of a USA mentality than a religious one.  Nudity isn't a big deal to Europeans, etc., but in the US they've always censored it and made a huge deal about it.
    Whereas, like you mentioned, violence gets completely ignored and accepted by the US, in general.

I've seen the Euros mock and joke about this all the time.  I admit, as an American, I totally agree with their point.  I think it's strange the way something as natural and simple as nudity is heavily censored but people don't even twitch at seeing folks being mutilated and slaughtered.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sounds good, but everything sounds good when little is known about it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Preorder for $0.00!
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    edited October 2016
    sounds awesome. and dont forget the Spanish, that's a conquistador helmet.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Wraithone said:
    /snip
     and hide from the real world".
    /snip
    I just... what?
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Another game I was excited for is called Gloria Victis but I found out it has brothels in it. No way will I play it, now. I have high moral standards and I will not tolerate something that is sinful. Heaven is my destination, and Jesus is getting me there! :)

You're sounding creepier every post...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Intrigued, but we have been here before so many times you would have to be naïve to put any faith in it. Not to say that some times when we have we got a decent MMO like ESO, just rather few and far between.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited October 2016
    It would be nice to see another full featured MMO come out, but let's be realistic here.  Amazon's main focus is on the mobile software because they sell a lot of mobile devices.  When was the last time you saw even a decent minimally featured MMO on a mobile device.  There are very few and they really don't match up to the bottom feeder MMOs.

Getting excited over this announcement is silly.  Until we get more details I really doubt much will come of this game.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Actually creating traffic for twitch is not my idea of a good game but the things I like about a game will not make it twitchable. I doubt this game will be my cup of tea.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Just like Dnl, no game play or its all just words.