Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review in Progress

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,127
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageReview in Progress

Rob starts his review in progress this week for the long awaited Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. Read on to find out his initial impressions.

Read the full story here



¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


Comments

  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    "There are some fantastic games out there that use the Warhammer IP, Dawn of War and the new Total War are two that immediately spring to mind. So far Eternal Crusade isn’t shaping up to join that list of games."

    this sums it up.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    When I envision warhammer, I envision the bad guys not the boring space marines. I love the orcs! Hell, my name here is a clan of the orcs for much I love that race.

    I know that's only my opinion but that is why I hate these latest warhammer games that released (Especially that crappy space marines one).

  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,726
    I'm super confused as to how this game turned out like this. When did their development change? Even the before and after steam page pictures are different, they removed over half of the promised content on the image prior to launch. I always thought it would be like Planetside as opposed to Space Marine but worse.
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Considering that this team isn't very capable, I am glad this game went from MMO to lobby shooter.
    This way it's just another lobby shooter (albeit with clunkier controls and worse gameplay than most others) that will soon be forgotten, keeping that dream of a real 40k MMO alive. But a dream that has to be picked up by a more experienced and capable developer studio.
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited September 2016
    The game is still a bit rough but it's extremely enjoyable. It has a steep learning curve and the author doesn't take that into account with bemoaning the initial xp gains. I'm not even good at fps and I reached my first rank in 2 games. The progression is a split between performance driven advancement points and RNG loot chests to upgrade and provide new gear.

    If you like shooters and warhammer 40k you will love the game. If you want a warhammer 40k WoW then the game isn't there yet. They are working towards real mmorpg formats but need more time to get there and the game was released to make the cash to do it. Business is business and at the end of the day they have shareholders to answer to.

    I'm honestly tired of ppl bashing the game from 2 hours worth of playing it. You need seat time to set up the controls to something that feels right for you. You need play time to get used to its awesome paper rock scissors melee system (button mashers get owned). You need to advance a few levels and start upgrading your gear so you can turn yourself from an xp pinata to a lean mean killing machine. But I understand that the author and a lot of the new millennial ship jump twitch omg I have to have everything right now crowd simply won't understand these aspects in a game like this.
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 537
    So is there a good PVE story and campaign here like in previous games or is it more focused on PVP and skirmishes? And if there is a campaign how long do they expect it to be? I have seen in the forums that there is a lot of complaint about the amount of players in game because everyone is kind of staying clear until they see more.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 3,392
    Its such a shame that the game turned out this way.

    the original plans were great and I could overlook the clunky combat if it was in an MMO setting, because at least I'd be able to craft, create guilds, take over parts of the world, do dungeons, own vehicles etc. It was setup to be a proper 40k MMO.

    Now that it has devolved into a lobby shooter, the clunky combat has become a sticking point. I still prefer it to standard lobby shooters like COD, overwatch etc but that is purely down to being 40k and 3rd person, rather than actually enjoying the combat.


    Heres hoping they manage to improve it and turn it into an MMO in the future, or else tanks quickly so a proper dev can make a 40k MMO. W40k is one of my favourite IPs and yet we've never had a decent RPG, let alone MMO, in that setting.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited September 2016

    toolak said:


    I'm honestly tired of ppl bashing the game from 2 hours worth of playing it. You need seat time to set up the controls to something that feels right for you. You need play time to get used to its awesome paper rock scissors melee system (button mashers get owned). You need to advance a few levels and start upgrading your gear so you can turn yourself from an xp pinata to a lean mean killing machine. But I understand that the author and a lot of the new millennial ship jump twitch omg I have to have everything right now crowd simply won't understand these aspects in a game like this.



    If the game isn't fun within the first two hours why would anyone want to play it when there are literally thousands of games that are fun within the first 2 minutes? I value my time more than that.
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154




    Never said it's wasn't fun in the first 2 hours but you can't write up a review article after almost no game play time.

    If you seek a game that's fun from the first 2 min I hear hello kitty online is serious fun from the load in screen.

    I can't remember a game that was serious fun from the first minute I installed it and started playing it. Anyways such a game would most likely get old really fast if they front loaded all the content.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

    Elvoc said:

    So is there a good PVE story and campaign here like in previous games or is it more focused on PVP and skirmishes? And if there is a campaign how long do they expect it to be? I have seen in the forums that there is a lot of complaint about the amount of players in game because everyone is kind of staying clear until they see more.



    Doesn't appear so.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Love everything Warhammer

    I was very tempted in the beginning, but I'm glad I didn't back this game. I just didn't get a feeling of confidence.

    $54.99 cdn on Steam is a little too much to sate my curiosity

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    orbitxo said:
    "There are some fantastic games out there that use the Warhammer IP, Dawn of War and the new Total War are two that immediately spring to mind. So far Eternal Crusade isn’t shaping up to join that list of games."

    this sums it up.
    lets Add

      Man O War ............http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/  EA but fun game

      Warhammer Quest ...........http://store.steampowered.com/app/326670/  great game if you liked the board game
     
      Vermintide .......http://store.steampowered.com/app/235540/  Great fun

     Battleflett Gothic Armada..........http://store.steampowered.com/app/363680/    yes .. more warhammer fun



  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I don't get the hate for this game at all. I'm having a blast. It took me a few hours to understand it. But since the. I'm about 20 hours in and I'm loving it. 3rd person is perfect for warhammer. Combat is similar to gears of war, with more in depth melee system. There are balance issues, but long term I can see this game really becoming awesome.
  • lothariclotharic Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I seriously thought about backing this game. As usual, waiting to see the finished product was a good call
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

    druez said:

    I don't get the hate for this game at all. I'm having a blast. It took me a few hours to understand it. But since the. I'm about 20 hours in and I'm loving it. 3rd person is perfect for warhammer. Combat is similar to gears of war, with more in depth melee system. There are balance issues, but long term I can see this game really becoming awesome.



    If you are having fun that's great. Don't let other's bad opinions of a game tarnish your enjoyment of it.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

    Bloodaxes said:

    When I envision warhammer, I envision the bad guys not the boring space marines. I love the orcs! Hell, my name here is a clan of the orcs for much I love that race.

    I know that's only my opinion but that is why I hate these latest warhammer games that released (Especially that crappy space marines one).



    Just wanted to say yay Orcs!

    I was watching this game closely for awhile but started to hear more things I didn't like the sound of than things I did like the sound of.

    image
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    THE GOOD:
    Beautiful Visuals; landscapes, sky, buildings.
    Great environmental effects such as lightning, rain, etc.
    Great Music/Soundtrack (need more variety)
    Nice war chants
    Cool "Execute " animations
    Large variety of weapons
    Looks like Warhammer 40K "Visually"
    Some "Epic Moments"....
    Some "Epic Battles"
    "Hardcore Shooter" for those who like that type of game

    THE BAD:
    Not many Space Marine (LSM/CSM) chapters
    Game performance is inconsistant, freezes, lag, crashes, jitters.....poor optimization
    Getting stuck either in terrain or for no apparent reason at all
    Many lore violations
    Does not feel like you are playing a Warhammer 40K game
    An unforgiving hardcore shooter that mandates you be in a guild; for if you just play random pick up groups, the lack of such groups organization and command and control will frustrate you over and over as you die and lose over and over (Joining a large guild is MANDATORY for BEST game play experienceIMHO).

    THE UGLY:
    (1) The game is in an Alpha state.
    Since "Founders Access" during "pre-Alpha" and all the way thru the day before "official release", the Develolpers of this game would always give the same reason for the games sub-par state, i.e. "ITS ALPHA, ITS BETA".
    Well, now that the game has been officially released, the tables have turned, and when the Developers give excuses for the poor state of release the players take a page from the developers playbook and respond in kind, i.e. "ITS RELEASE!"...There are ALPHA and/or BETA issues!
    You cannot have it BOTH ways Dev's....

    (a) When a battle ends and you are instantly put back into the battle que, as the timer gets to zero, the game errors out and you have to go back to the title screen.

    (b) Many times when a battle ends, you see all zeros (0000) for all earned XP, AP, and RTC...you get NOTHING after slugging thru that long and hard fought match.

    (c) The weapons and gear you buy with your hard earned RTC have displayed stats, that do not match the stats when you place them in your load out.

    (d) Founders gear have NO mod slots

    (e) Loot/Supply boxes are purchased via your hard earned RTC, but it is 100% gambling and risk in that you get random items that you either do not want, cannot use or already have a few times over.
    In addition, many of the items are just plain white basic items.

    (f) There are NO mods that EXIST in the game for LSM Devastator weapons even though they have mod slots.
    This is TOTAL FAIL Dev's for a "RELEASE".

    (g) Many "Founders Program" items that were purchase with RTP via REAL MONEY are not available.
    LITERALLY, the FOUNDERS of this game who help FUND IT, are being PUNISHED.
    NO EXCUSE DEVS!

    (h) Since day one of Founders Access and thru the pre-Alpha and Beta, and now during release, i.e. the entire games timeline, there have always been OP race/classes and/or weapons that are "super over powered" (OP).
    This is understandable to some degree as all games, even some games for years have such issues.
    But in the case of this game, such issues exist for months and months and the Devs DO NOTHING about it until the forums erupt in a rage.
    And even after such raging do nothing.
    At the moment, the OP of the Eldar race and its classes are HUGE...it is so bad that most Guilds are "BOYCOTTING" Eldar battles.

    IIN CONCLUSION:
    Despite the "Mixed" Steam Reviews and other poor and mixed reviews, I do have fun in this game.
    However, it is either FUN or NOT FUN every time you play, as there is NO INBETWEEN.
    It either one extreme or the other.
    Moreover, despite all of this, because the game is largely supported by Warhammer 40K fans, there is a very forgiving nature towards Warhammer 40K games as players are always grateful for them.
    However, once Developers do something DISHONEST, these same forgiving Warhammer 40K fans will ERUPT and CALL YOU OUT.
    Should anyone expect anything less?

    This game is NOT an MMO, NOT MASSIVE, or anything else the Developers promised along the games life cycle.
    Even when features were advertised to take your money.
    The Dev's made the point that when you purchased the game during "Founders, Alpha and Beta" that there were disclaimers stating the game is subject to change etc etc.
    Although that is very true, the Dev's need to be reminded that under "Contract Law" , when a customer buys "anything" with "something of value", also known as "money" or in legalize "Consideration", makes ANY contract BINDING.
    EVEN a VERBAL contract and ESPECIALLY in this games situation where it is a WRITTEN CONTRACT.
    Now, the Dev's can make the defense that the disclaimers clearly state the game can be changed to the point it is not the same one you bought into etc etc etc....HOWEVER, under TRADE LAW you cannot take anyone's money when they are offered a "Car Tire", pay for it, and then between the time the tire order is placed and then delivered, the tire company decides to change the product from a 'Car Tire" to a "Bicycle Tire". IN FACT, even with disclaimers CANNOT BE DONE, because this makes the contract ILLEGAL.
    Under TRADE LAW "ILLEGAL CONTRACTS" are NOT BINDING.

    Sadly, the worst part of this game was the POTENTIAL for it to be GREAT.
    All the Dev's had to do was make careful game balance changes and NOT the EXTREME game balance adjustments that make weapons and/or race/classes go from Nerfed to OP, from OP to Nerfed faster than you can blink your eye.

    In addition, reputations die hard in the PC Game industry..when Developers Ignore, Moderators Insult, and Developers RIP OFF their customers and demonstrate a complete sense of LOGIC in a games life cycle....they are DOOMED to FAILURE in the court of Public Opinion and BUSINESS FAILURE is close behind.

    Thus, if you are a HARDCORE Warhammer 40K fan who JUST HAS TO HAVE a Warhammer 40K game of any sort...well then wait for this game to either be fixed or go on sale of become free, before buying.
    Also DO NOT spend real money on anything other than the game, i.e. RTP, packages, credits, etc.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Torval said:
    I can't think of a game that I kept playing after two hours that wasn't fun in the first two hours. If it's not fun then why keep playing it. In fact if Hello Kitty Online Adventures is more fun than this game in the first two hours then it will probably live a lot longer.
    Eve Online
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,184
    Its a poopy arena shooter and it is mislabeled as an MMO on Steam. Reviews and word of mouth are killing it. It is the No Man's Sky of Warhammer. Do not expect it to get any significant updates after it sells like crap for a few months.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,214
    filmoret said:
    Torval said:
    I can't think of a game that I kept playing after two hours that wasn't fun in the first two hours. If it's not fun then why keep playing it. In fact if Hello Kitty Online Adventures is more fun than this game in the first two hours then it will probably live a lot longer.
    Eve Online
    That is one that takes some folks several multi week trials before they "get it"

    I recall playing DAOC for a month or two until I understood it well enough, and found the right class to really say I was enjoying myself.

    More recently I played ArcheAge over level 35 and about a month or so (during Alpha) and after I hooked up with a good guild before I decided I was enjoying myself.

    I suspect many people (including me) quit games they might have eventually enjoyed if they had spent a bit more time in. 

    One reason a BTP or up front cost is probably better is you feel the need to play it long enough to get your moneys worth, and in that time it comes to grow on you.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    Torval said:
    I can't think of a game that I kept playing after two hours that wasn't fun in the first two hours. If it's not fun then why keep playing it. In fact if Hello Kitty Online Adventures is more fun than this game in the first two hours then it will probably live a lot longer.
    Eve Online
    That is one that takes some folks several multi week trials before they "get it"

    I recall playing DAOC for a month or two until I understood it well enough, and found the right class to really say I was enjoying myself.

    More recently I played ArcheAge over level 35 and about a month or so (during Alpha) and after I hooked up with a good guild before I decided I was enjoying myself.

    I suspect many people (including me) quit games they might have eventually enjoyed if they had spent a bit more time in. 

    One reason a BTP or up front cost is probably better is you feel the need to play it long enough to get your moneys worth, and in that time it comes to grow on you.
    Not to debunk what Torval said though.  Eve is a special snowflake for sure.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    laserit said:
    Love everything Warhammer

    I fee the same way.  I'm such a huge fan of Warhammer.  I've had several Fantasy Armies, several 40k armies, currently painting an Astra Militarum force (Finished a Vendetta last night), and I've bought and read a good 30 books.

    filmoret said:
    Torval said:
    I can't think of a game that I kept playing after two hours that wasn't fun in the first two hours. If it's not fun then why keep playing it. In fact if Hello Kitty Online Adventures is more fun than this game in the first two hours then it will probably live a lot longer.
    Eve Online
    With almost every statistic or "fact" that people quote, there's always an outlier.  EVE is that outlier when it comes to the MMO landscape.  Anyone who has stuck with EVE for a few months knows that the first two hours are nothing but pure confusion and yet six months later it's one of the deepest, most satisfying games you can play.

    Back to the review... this is one of Games Workshops "miss" titles.  The thing with GW is that they like to have a lot of control over every aspect of their IP.  They've tried to sue other companies simply for using the word space marines and they have a legal department that would make the Scientology legal staff blanch.  

    My grandfather owned a gaming store and in order to have GW products on your shelves, you have to agree to a list of draconian rules not the least of which is that you have to purchase a huge amount of product and shelve it in a very specific way.  Want to sell GW paints?  You have to use the GW paint shelf to display them... ect.  GW reps travel the United States checking in on stores, and if they see a sold out product and you don't have it on order for replacement, then they can fine you.  You think the Commissars are only in the game?  Oh no, they take it to another level.

    When they have a hit, it's usually in spite of them, not because of them.  Dawn of War was a hit.... Space Marine was utter crap.  Total Warhammer is a huge hit, Warhammer Online... not so much.  Mordheim is a big hit... Eternal Crusade is pure crap.

  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,301
    I would be all over it if they made it like Planetside as they original intended.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    H0urg1ass said:
    laserit said:
    Love everything Warhammer

    I fee the same way.  I'm such a huge fan of Warhammer.  I've had several Fantasy Armies, several 40k armies, currently painting an Astra Militarum force (Finished a Vendetta last night), and I've bought and read a good 30 books.

    Building and painting armies is by far my favorite part.

    Some of my friends make flies, I make Orcs ;) 

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Sign In or Register to comment.