Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Games' New World is a 17th Century Paranormal MMO - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited October 2016
    Dagon13 said:

Another game I was excited for is called Gloria Victis but I found out it has brothels in it. No way will I play it, now. I have high moral standards and I will not tolerate something that is sinful. Heaven is my destination, and Jesus is getting me there! :)

Is this guy for real? Seriously. My sarcasm radar is beeping so loud that I wish it weren't beeping so loud.
    No one should care if he's for real. He has taken all the attention he could possibly get from this thread. I mean, these news are actually kind of exciting.

If he's serious, it's his own damn problem that he needs to solve somehow. If he's trolling, then we shouldn't feed the ho no mo'.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    My problem is the Mature rating... I'm Christian (Catholic) and I dont play games with that rating.

Too bad, was excited. Not now. Wont be playing.

Back to WoW and waiting for Camelot Unchained.
    what does rating have to do with being able to play a game or not? Why would it matter if it was rated "Teen", and if it was the same exact game? If it helps, in the UK will be rated teen as they aren't as fanatical over there about ratings as in the US. Even nudity is allowed there and anyone can see it no matter the age lol

But I'm guessing this is just a troll post made to make laughs :D
    I dont troll, thanks... No, its all about nudity. I can deal with violence and scary things. But it is against my religion and morals to be exposed to nudity when I make all efforts to keep purity for Jesus. I dont know if they will have nudity in it but in most games with the Mature rating tag, there it is. I plan on playing Camelot Unchained because I love PvP and it has hardly any nudity whatsoever.

Now if someday I find out this game is Mature rating only for scary imagery, and minimal nudity, then yes I will probably play it. But right now the Mature rating makes me think against that.
    Normally, I wouldn't comment but you opened the door so simulating killing other people works all day but seeing a boobie is risking your immortal soul?  Thanks for the chuckle....

I have to tell you, I dated Catholic girls when I was younger that definitely don't share the same beliefs but to each his or her own.  Diversity is a wonderful thing.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Looks really interesting. Will follow for sure.

As an ex-employee of Amazon (worked as a Program Manager for five years...at Amazon that makes you an old timer!) I can tell you one thing...

When Amazon gets it right, they REALLY get it right (Prime)

And when Amazon gets it wrong, they REALLY get it wrong (Fire Phone)

Here's hoping for the best.

Go go go, AMZN!!! Make all those options you gave me worth even more!!! :-)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Iselin said:
    In a related pondering, I wonder if this game will have Salem witch trials .... I think that could be good for a bit of fun, hey? 

Witches was the first thing I thought of when I heard New World, 17th century and supernatural.
    side note Witches have been banned from our Christian Pumpkin Patch this Halloween.  Gimme a break, people need to stop with the safe spaces already

*anyone who decorates their booth, or dresses as a witch or warlock will be asked to leave...uhh really

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Hype train spotted, All aboard!
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    DMKano said:
    Jyiiga said:
    Well glad to see someone with a fuck ton of money is willing to give the sandbox MMO another go.

I have serious doubts that this will be a deep sandbox MMORPG - they are going for watchability, and twitch streaming - complexity and depth make BORING streams. 

Black Desert with all it's system is boring as shit to watch, same with a lot of farming/crafting intricacies of AA - it's boring for others to watch that.

Since all Amazon games are going for heavy "twitchability" - I don't think they're going to be very complex/deep games - so even as a sandbox - I expect this one to be a very light sandbox game.

Just my 2c.

See this:

"Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition."

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

Does that sound like a deep sandbox MMORPG to you - nope

Their top priority is to make it very watchable and streamable, not to make a deep MMORPG
    Being watchable and being deep aren't mutually exclusive. Many twitch watchers aren't there for the game, but rather are there for the personality of the streamer and/or the social aspect of the chat room. Historically, Minecraft had been one of the most watched games out there, the numbers have dropped, but Minecraft isn't something I would consider highly watchable, outside of certain events like UHC, etc. 

Additionally, achievements and broadcaster led events don't necessarily mean the game is going to be shallow either. Achievements are literally a carrot-on-a-stick mechanic. Broadcaster led events can mean anything really. Hell, a naked race across the known wilderness led by a broadcaster would be something that doesn't involve the deep mechanics of the game, but rather gets people involved and logging in.

I'm by no means defending the game in any way, since it's super early and we know nothing substantial. What we do know is that they are potentially trying something different than what's currently being offered. The fact that it's backed by Amazon mean they have they money to get the talent and tech that's needed. If we get something made with passion by the dev team, there's potential for it to be great.

Personally, I'll save judgement until we actually see something substantial.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Kaneth said:
    DMKano said:
    Jyiiga said:
    Well glad to see someone with a fuck ton of money is willing to give the sandbox MMO another go.

I have serious doubts that this will be a deep sandbox MMORPG - they are going for watchability, and twitch streaming - complexity and depth make BORING streams. 

Black Desert with all it's system is boring as shit to watch, same with a lot of farming/crafting intricacies of AA - it's boring for others to watch that.

Since all Amazon games are going for heavy "twitchability" - I don't think they're going to be very complex/deep games - so even as a sandbox - I expect this one to be a very light sandbox game.

Just my 2c.

See this:

"Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition."

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

Their top priority is to make it very watchable and streamable, not to make a deep MMORPG
    Being watchable and being deep aren't mutually exclusive. Many twitch watchers aren't there for the game, but rather are there for the personality of the streamer and/or the social aspect of the chat room. Historically, Minecraft had been one of the most watched games out there, the numbers have dropped, but Minecraft isn't something I would consider highly watchable, outside of certain events like UHC, etc. 

Additionally, achievements and broadcaster led events don't necessarily mean the game is going to be shallow either. Achievements are literally a carrot-on-a-stick mechanic. Broadcaster led events can mean anything really. Hell, a naked race across the known wilderness led by a broadcaster would be something that doesn't involve the deep mechanics of the game, but rather gets people involved and logging in.

I'm by no means defending the game in any way, since it's super early and we know nothing substantial. What we do know is that they are potentially trying something different than what's currently being offered. The fact that it's backed by Amazon mean they have they money to get the talent and tech that's needed. If we get something made with passion by the dev team, there's potential for it to be great.

Personally, I'll save judgement until we actually see something substantial.
    What is guaranteed is that they will reward people via in game means for watching and participating in streams, since they already mentioned that in the Breakaway footage thing (at least pertaining to Breakaway at least). It will also be a good idea to have cross title rewards so people are motivated to at least watch most streams with a chance of getting something for a game they do decide to invest the most amount of time on. For some reason, I can't get the idea out of my head that they will do something similar to crates in h1z1 (probably not purchasing the crates to create the event) but make it a mad dash to get these super materials or a huge amount of materials that can utilized for building better forts etc but people have to fight over them or they could be guarded by some super mobs.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Tiller said:
    I swear there has been an increase in a lot religious and political trolls lately all over the web tied to just random fake accounts (not all, but many). A lot of them have been bashing every game, (or anything for that mater) they see as objectionable. I see this on steam a lot and sometimes here. I don't know if these people are paid by private organizations with agendas to troll, witch hunt and shove their agendas down our throats or what, but it's absurd and getting out of control. I have seen lots of these accounts reported and closed for making threats, siring up forums with troll comments and it all kinda goes against the message they are trying to push. Make it stop xD
    Nah, they used to focus on trolling women but have increased their range since with religious stuff as well.

As for the political thing I think that have been encouraged by the not so clean US elections, more than a few people actually up for election have been trolling themselves the whole year and when even official candidates troll you can bet that regular trolls get inspired. And no, it isn't just 1 candidate either even if some have been worse then others.

The thing with trolls though is that if you don't give them attention the shrivel up and die so try to avoid getting baited, it is the only way (besides tracking them up and putting them into a a jail with no internet) to at least minimize the damage. We wont get rid off trolls totally no matter what we do, Pandoras box is open and you can't close it with less then killing all social media but we can at least try to do the best of the situation (that doesn't really help people who's life is crap to it sadly).
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited October 2016

H0urg1ass said:

Roanoke was discovered abandoned in 1590 and that's sorta in the 17th century.  Lets see, you have Quakers in Pennsylvania, New York was still a dutch colony independent from the British, Native Americans were at war with some colonists and at peace with others, The French were still a significant presence in Canada and the Louisiana territory... there's a lot to work with here especially with an added supernatural element.

Too bad Adam Weishaupt didn't form the Illuminati until 1776 or that could have been an interesting aspect to explore.

Well, the Knights Templar could be worked in as a distant precursor, as it sometimes is, to the "Illuminati." There certainly were exclusive and secretive organizations in those days, anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Templar

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    im very interested in this but
    release 2017? lots of promisses? no material to show for? VERY sceptical... and im wondering how they will solve the problem sandboxes have

The problem theme parks have is that you need to create a constant stream of new contant which is incredibly resource intense - but i think the problem with sandboxes is - such as rust etc., they are incredibly repetitive - you gather, you build, you fight, you die - repeat...there is very limited and little sense of progression which is also not kept and than you repeat that over and over again...

They need to somehow incorporate that continous progression where you can keep and build and grow your character continously while being in a sandbox world that doesnt a constant influx of content...i think than and only than you get a true sandbox mmorpg experience - and i have no idea how they could create such a sandbox without a constant "reset"...otherwise it will just be one of those repetitive sandboxes and i wont be interested.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Lets hope for a Secret world like game with good combat
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    im very interested in this but
    release 2017? lots of promisses? no material to show for? VERY sceptical... and im wondering how they will solve the problem sandboxes have

The problem theme parks have is that you need to create a constant stream of new contant which is incredibly resource intense - but i think the problem with sandboxes is - such as rust etc., they are incredibly repetitive - you gather, you build, you fight, you die - repeat...there is very limited and little sense of progression which is also not kept and than you repeat that over and over again...

They need to somehow incorporate that continous progression where you can keep and build and grow your character continously while being in a sandbox world that doesnt a constant influx of content...i think than and only than you get a true sandbox mmorpg experience - and i have no idea how they could create such a sandbox without a constant "reset"...otherwise it will just be one of those repetitive sandboxes and i wont be interested.
    Well, second life is a pretty mainstream sandbox and it's been going for years and the average person finds stuff to do in it.  If they have the right tools in this game I'm sure plenty people will set up shop in it like most sandbox games. I think you mind is stuck in themebox mode, which is what we have been getting for years.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited October 2016
    I've heard this concept soooooo many times before.
    It goes like this....

You can do whatever you want, if you want to explore you can do that, if you want to be a soldiers and protect other players you can do that, if you want to build a village and trade with others you can do that yadda yadda yadda.

It will endup like the rest of em sandbox games out there, there is no point in any of the "cool" features the devs promised players will just PVP, hack and grief other players so the game dies and fall of the radar then either shuts down or go on life support.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If it makes it to gold and is sub based then I'll have a look. As long as it's not P2W which arguably sub based could be labeled as but that's a conversation for another time. So yeah, will keep an eye out for it as it looks and sounds good.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

DMKano said:

Jyiiga said:

Just my 2c.

See this:

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

So more than likely an open world sandbox MMO version of ARK where everyone builds and has a battle royale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
    edited October 2016
    new world = rust / ark type of battle royal sandbox
    or = everquest next / ultima online type of mmoRPG
    ? Because if its the first, i couldnt care less - nor will other people since there are enough of those already if the second - sure
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Hopefully Prime members get it free.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2016
    Which would need to be licensed from R.E. Howard estate
    Odd comment. 
    Solomon Kane is simply "an example" of what the game could look like. And as I said I think the film is excellent. "Last of the Mohican's" or "Treasure Island" - it could easily shift incorporate the Carribean and add Pirates - or countless other books could have been suggested.

As for copyright though it does expire. For modern works "death + 70 years" is typical in countries that are signatories to the Berne convention. Howard died 1936 however and many works were published after his death so .... suffice to say it is "messy". However in some countries you will find Project Guttenberg Solomon Kane stories in e-book form in the public domain.

And I am going to finish by plugging the film again because I liked it!
  • ShavaKaShavaKa Member UncommonPosts: 91
    AKA - more PVP gankfest survival fiasco. Nope.

DMKano said:

Jyiiga said:

Just my 2c.

See this:

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

So more than likely an open world sandbox MMO version of ARK where everyone builds and has a battle royale.

sounds like it - basically a h1z1 king of the kill variant with maybe some building...or some improved rust...not interested... if it was a spiritual sibling to everquest next - hell yea...but another battle royal..pffff no one needs that
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I can't see the setting having mass appeal, but what do I know, I'm a plumber.