Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios' Breakaway is a Competitive Brawler - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageAmazon Game Studios' Breakaway is a Competitive Brawler - MMORPG.com News

Tonight at a special "Unboxing" event at Twitch Con in California, Amazon Game Studios is unveiling several games. The first confirmed title is Breakaway: an eSports-driven experience focused on heroes of mythology competing for prestige and glory.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I stopped reading at "eSports." *sigh* How disappointing.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Here's hoping they'll unbox at least one MMO (and that it will be actually good).
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

tom_gore said:

Here's hoping they'll unbox at least one MMO (and that it will be actually good).

They did unbox an "actual" MMO (New World), but I don't think it's going to be what everyone imagines when they think of "sandbox MMO".

Amazon are trying to dominate streamed content delivery, these games are the spearhead of their move into e-sports territory. But they are taking it to a new level, with a blend of e-sports and social media integration that has not been seen before. It might work.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DMKano said:
    It's not too late to bring this back to the drawing board.

This won't appeal to MOBA players, it won't appeal to Overwatch players - who exactly is the target audience here?

It won't appeal to Mythological game fans... I doubt that it would appeal to sports fans.

First step is identifying a clear audience for your product - I am at a loss who that is exactly here.
    What!!!? It looks fucking amazing. 

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I'm interested in the mmo, but the moba game looks stupid. Design a fun game first, and then esports will develop itself when the community is ready. Design a game specifically for esports and...well history shows it'll fail.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

To everyone who constantly said "Twitch.tv doesn't matter and has in no way to do with a game's popularity" -
    Amazon obviously has a different opinion on that.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    But Huttball is so 2011.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Hmm, looks pretty cool.  Kind of like a 3rd person MOBA rocket league.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    DMKano said:
    Kumapon said:
    I'm interested in the mmo, but the moba game looks stupid. Design a fun game first, and then esports will develop itself when the community is ready. Design a game specifically for esports and...well history shows it'll fail.

Everyone in my gaming circle (lots of Dota2 and esport  players) laughed out loud when they showed the actual Breakaway gamplay.

One guy thought it was a prank/troll and they were going to say "just kidding folks" and then show the real game.

Sadly this "handball Overwatch" done badly is the real game.

The twitch chat reflected the same sentiment with laughter and disbelief of how bad the game was.

Never listen to twitch chat.  They are all proven time and time again to be rank 20 hearthstone players.
  • RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75
    oh...yay just what the industry needed another MOBA weee <insertsarcasmhere. Seriously? another wtf MOBA? ...sigh
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

DMKano said:

It's not too late to bring this back to the drawing board.

This won't appeal to MOBA players, it won't appeal to Overwatch players - who exactly is the target audience here?

It won't appeal to Mythological game fans... I doubt that it would appeal to sports fans.

First step is identifying a clear audience for your product - I am at a loss who that is exactly here.

I think you're wrong, and I think you need to take a look at Battlerite to see how appealing straight up brawlers are with MOBA players right now ( hint: overwhelmingly positive on Steam ).

If Amazon get the balance and strategy down with Breakaway, it will appeal to a huge number of MOBA-players ( more specifically those who are fatigued by "long-play" formats like LoL, HoT and DOTA ( and there are millions of them ) ). Imho, it's closest contemporary is Battlerite ( again, overwhelmingly positive on Steam ) but I have a feeling that Battlerite will lose its appeal very quickly as it is a shallow, hollow game bereft of balance and wing-clipped by a lack of strategy beyond "hit the weakest character first".

Breakaway centers the game on a very simple goal that plays to the "push, roam, structure" core of MOBAs, but removes the "long play" that drives many players away ( which, to be brutally honest, I'm quite surprised you didn't identify given the "I know everything about games" tone you use in your posts ). Ergo, it's identified a very specific and very clear niche that many gamers will appreciate and engage with. As a spectator game, it has more clarity and identity than any MOBA out there right now which will only serve it moving forward.

So yeah, as I said... if Amazon pull this off and get the balance and strategic play down with Breakaway, it'll be the next MOBA hit.
  • dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

DMKano said:

Kumapon said:

Everyone in my gaming circle (lots of Dota2 and esport  players) laughed out loud when they showed the actual Breakaway gamplay.

One guy thought it was a prank/troll and they were going to say "just kidding folks" and then show the real game.

Sadly this "handball Overwatch" done badly is the real game.

The twitch chat reflected the same sentiment with laughter and disbelief of how bad the game was.

Pro players tend not to be a good representation of market potential; they're quite narrowminded ( unless you pay them to consult on your game ), and tend to rally around the game(s) where they have the best rating or largest following. The fact that your DOTA2 friends rallied against Breakaway isn't surprising, given that the DOTA2 community at the top end is one of the most toxic and anti-social communities out there.

Also, I was in the Twitch chat and from what I remember the vast majority of those talking thought it looked quite good. There were a fair few people in there talking shit over and over again, but the same people saying the same thing over and over again does not a consensus make. At best, the overall response was "balanced"...