Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Putting the RP back in RPG - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imagePutting the RP back in RPG - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Divinity: Original Sin 2, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Wasteland, Torment: Tides of Numenera… Old school RPGs are in the midst of a renaissance and nothing could be better. When so many games hand you a character and do their best to put you in an interactive movie, these are the games that put the RP back in RPG. Read on to discover just what these games have over their AAA counterparts.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I wish we would have labels on the pics to see which games are which. Art style is a big thing for most people to interest them in a game.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Ikeda said:

I wish we would have labels on the pics to see which games are which. Art style is a big thing for most people to interest them in a game.

Doing a google image search it appears that the games are, from top to bottom: Torment: Tides of Numenera, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, again, and Wasteland 3.
  • giberelinagiberelina Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I strongly agree. In fact, what happens when the character that this triple A devs give you is someone that you deeply dislike? Well, you can't play the game, and that's what happens to me and the Witcher, I really hate Geralt :(
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Gorwe simply does not understand RP. When you play one of these character and story on rails things you are literally making no decisions. If the definition of rpg is to be this watered down then watching a movie you like is essentially an RP experience, which it's not. Hand held you-will-be-this guy-and the bad guy will take your daughter in Act 2 is not an RPG. You are simply watching a movie when you play SWTOR: a movie that you can change the pace of (doing a quest later after PvP, or respawning) and play the combat mini-game.

Also, playing like your same same buonty hunter actually has context in a game with no context is a very poor RP experience. In every way it would work better if you turned off the game and just RP'd with someone else on chat or in RL.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • Dead_GuyDead_Guy Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Most people don't know what role playing is. I've played PnP D&D with people that treated the game like a strategic fantasy simulator. Real role playing should make you feel as though you're living a different life. It should be immersive, as though you're in a novel, helping to write the pages as you go.

The problem is, game companies are no longer run by artists and philosophers, but by suits and wealthy children.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    RPG's are basically a story, so a game 'on rails' would be appropriate.

I like voice acting and still see it as an improvement over having to read everything. I don't have to imagine what they sound like or what inflections they use, it's right there and brings other characters to life. I look forward to one day playing games with voice recognition when the player can just speak their replies and have NPC's appropriately reply, as well as VR for total immersion.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Archlyte said:
    Gorwe simply does not understand RP. When you play one of these character and story on rails things you are literally making no decisions. If the definition of rpg is to be this watered down then watching a movie you like is essentially an RP experience, which it's not. Hand held you-will-be-this guy-and the bad guy will take your daughter in Act 2 is not an RPG. You are simply watching a movie when you play SWTOR: a movie that you can change the pace of (doing a quest later after PvP, or respawning) and play the combat mini-game.

Also, playing like your same same buonty hunter actually has context in a game with no context is a very poor RP experience. In every way it would work better if you turned off the game and just RP'd with someone else on chat or in RL.
    Are we still talking about single player games where you only interact with pre-programmed NPCs and where, no matter how complex, you will eventually run-up against the limits of choice?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GroundlessGroundless Member UncommonPosts: 42
    @GameByNight It might be time for you to take on the greatest CRPG of all time - Baldur's Gate 2. For anyone coming into the CRPG Renaissance happening now, do yourself a favor and learn the AD&D system for BG2 and play one of the great masterpieces of video game storytelling.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    No such thing in MMO's. They stopped even bothering to try years ago. If you want RPG, you go single player like Mass Effect or the Witcher (just a couple examples) and THOSE games can be modded and customized whereas MMO's suck at both.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    @GameByNight It might be time for you to take on the greatest CRPG of all time - Baldur's Gate 2. For anyone coming into the CRPG Renaissance happening now, do yourself a favor and learn the AD&D system for BG2 and play one of the great masterpieces of video game storytelling.
    If you can get hold of the original version of BG2, sure, i wouldn't recommend the 'new' version as they seem to have done a ghostbusters 2016 on it :o
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I did enjoy the BG games but i wouldn't say they had me dying to get back to them on an everyday basis.

Instead i was putting in more hours and enjoyed more so the old FF3,it was structured in a way that i loved with multiple classes/jobs.BG for example and i guess like most games,including FF3 fail in that you never feel a need to go or have a home,everything is designed to push you forward to the NEXT area/map.So instead of feeling a ROLE all you feel like you are is some mindless person looking for that next quest or next area to eliminate you never feel like you have any role other than the super obvious ..."i need to save the world from destruction..lmao".

Even so ,devs are failing in delivering a great story and the reason our characters exist.Instead every single game is doing almost nothing,all we do is quests to gain xp to gain levels with no meaning or feel that i am actually living in a world.Perfect example is WOW the biggest number game on the planet yet is fails in the very simplest way because your character doesn't even have a home and to me that is just lame.

The term "rp" i feel is way too often looked at in the wrong sense,people think it means to sit around and talk in character and nothing more.The ROLE that is missing is your actual role in the world and your class reasoning.Again we look at Wow,you do not NEED any role to do a quest,so why bother with roles at all if that is going to be your reasoning for gaining levels?Like you gain all this so called experienced in your ROLE yet your role really has no factor in it what so ever.

Point is we need to get away from BAD game design and start making games that deserve the title of ROLE playing.Then we need to enforce the reasoning of having online ,utilizing all the players around you,it is called interaction,instead games like ..ahem WOW like to direct you more to SOLO game play,that type of stuff is just bad game design.

There is way too much that should go into games and importantly it should all tie together as it would in a real life situation,that would be true role playing.Then don't get me started on yellow markers over npc heads,are you kidding me?What kind of BS non realistic nonsense is that?Oh yeah guess what game liked to do that as well,umm yeah ,we are supporting the WRONG type of FAKE mmorpg's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.