Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Games' New World is a 17th Century Paranormal MMO - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:
    Jyiiga said:
    Well glad to see someone with a fuck ton of money is willing to give the sandbox MMO another go.

I have serious doubts that this will be a deep sandbox MMORPG - they are going for watchability, and twitch streaming - complexity and depth make BORING streams. 

Black Desert with all it's system is boring as shit to watch, same with a lot of farming/crafting intricacies of AA - it's boring for others to watch that.

Since all Amazon games are going for heavy "twitchability" - I don't think they're going to be very complex/deep games - so even as a sandbox - I expect this one to be a very light sandbox game.

Just my 2c.

See this:

"Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition."

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

Does that sound like a deep sandbox MMORPG to you - nope

Their top priority is to make it very watchable and streamable, not to make a deep MMORPG
    If twitch streaming is their main priority. IMHO they are in big trouble concerning all these games.

If the games suck, Twitch won't help them one single solitary bit.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    SEANMCAD said:
    The period of the game set in 17th century is really nice and it picks my interest.
    yeah I have to admit I find American Frontier era far more interesting as an MMO concept
    It's not the frontier era, that's about 200 years ahead of when this game is taking place. This is 17th century America - the 1600's when the first settlers came here and all we had were a few of the original 13 colonies and also Native Americans. We weren't even the United States yet. 
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Interesting, but twitch integration. I play games to relax not have a second job.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Leiloni said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    The period of the game set in 17th century is really nice and it picks my interest.
    yeah I have to admit I find American Frontier era far more interesting as an MMO concept
    It's not the frontier era, that's about 200 years ahead of when this game is taking place. This is 17th century America - the 1600's when the first settlers came here and all we had were a few of the original 13 colonies and also Native Americans. We weren't even the United States yet. 
    yes, I know, I was stating that I find that era (american froniter) as an MMO more intresting

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2016
    laserit said:
    My problem is the Mature rating... I'm Christian (Catholic) and I dont play games with that rating.

Too bad, was excited. Not now. Wont be playing.

Back to WoW and waiting for Camelot Unchained.
    what does rating have to do with being able to play a game or not? Why would it matter if it was rated "Teen", and if it was the same exact game? If it helps, in the UK will be rated teen as they aren't as fanatical over there about ratings as in the US. Even nudity is allowed there and anyone can see it no matter the age lol

But I'm guessing this is just a troll post made to make laughs :D
    I dont troll, thanks... No, its all about nudity. I can deal with violence and scary things. But it is against my religion and morals to be exposed to nudity when I make all efforts to keep purity for Jesus. I dont know if they will have nudity in it but in most games with the Mature rating tag, there it is. I plan on playing Camelot Unchained because I love PvP and it has hardly any nudity whatsoever.

Now if someday I find out this game is Mature rating only for scary imagery, and minimal nudity, then yes I will probably play it. But right now the Mature rating makes me think against that.
    Respectfully 

I've never seen an MMORPG with any nudity

Do they exist?
    Age of Conan. Except they nerfed it by covering up the pubic area before release with painted on undie textures. And it was only female boobs, and they were painted on nipples (like painted on undies). And the boobs were pretty blocky. It looked more like a barbie doll does, except really badly made boobs. Compared to a modded Skyrim where it was 1000x more realistic lol.

The Secret World used to have nudity, but funcom nerfed that as well. It probably would have been as bad as AOC anyway lol, since their character models suck like hell.

I can't think of any others. There is RUST that has male/female nudity, but that isn't an actual MMO.

You can also get nude mods for WoW and many other MMOs. The ones for WoW are actually much better done than even AOC lol. I don't actually use them though, since I don't want to see naked tauren or undead in my game lol.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2016
    This is different, interesting genera that hasn't been used much in MMOs. These first games, Amazon is coming out swinging big time.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    laserit said:
    DMKano said:
    Jyiiga said:
    Well glad to see someone with a fuck ton of money is willing to give the sandbox MMO another go.

I have serious doubts that this will be a deep sandbox MMORPG - they are going for watchability, and twitch streaming - complexity and depth make BORING streams. 

Black Desert with all it's system is boring as shit to watch, same with a lot of farming/crafting intricacies of AA - it's boring for others to watch that.

Since all Amazon games are going for heavy "twitchability" - I don't think they're going to be very complex/deep games - so even as a sandbox - I expect this one to be a very light sandbox game.

Just my 2c.

See this:

"Focused on emergent gameplay and rich social features – including deep Twitch integration with broadcaster-led events, achievements, and rewards – your only limit in the New World is your ambition."

Broadcaster led events?
    Achievements?

Does that sound like a deep sandbox MMORPG to you - nope

Their top priority is to make it very watchable and streamable, not to make a deep MMORPG
    If twitch streaming is their main priority. IMHO they are in big trouble concerning all these games.

If the games suck, Twitch won't help them one single solitary bit.
    No one is going to play any game for its Twichability. Amazon is just laying the Twitch angle on thick for cross promotion purposes just like you can pretty well bank on a highly modable UI for the Curse angle.

If it didn't have well-known industry pros on board, that'd be a different story, but it does.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TrenialTrenial Member UncommonPosts: 6
    I just seen the Prime Logo next to the price and pre-Ordered it, for 0.00$ and after Check Out it placed New World by Amazon Games Studios, LLC in my Amazon games Library. So there isn't much fuss in clicking the pre-Order button.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Torval said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Too bad Adam Weishaupt didn't form the Illuminati until 1776 or that could have been an interesting aspect to explore.
    Or did he? He "formed" it in 1776 according to what we've been told, up to this point. It could be much much older.
    The plot thickens!  Prelluminati confirmed.
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    can people stop bringing religion into this thread please and stay on topic.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Looks really interesting.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    ApexTKM said:
    Agreed. It's a shame that the entire thread has been derailed because someone felt the need to bring religion into it. And this is exactly why it's against the site's code of conduct.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Torval said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ApexTKM said:
    Agreed. It's a shame that the entire thread has been derailed because someone felt the need to bring religion into it. And this is exactly why it's against the site's code of conduct.
    He just related his belief system and why. He didn't ask anyone else to get on board with him. He only suggested that his reasons were based on his belief system.

We all have religion and belief systems we use to make these same decisions what ever you want to call it. The only people bringing religion into the discussion are those that object to him having it.
    That's irrelevant. He brought religion into the conversation and the expected reactions ensued. If someone said "I was going to by this game but I'm a Trump supporter and I saw that a democrat is on the dev team so now I'll stick with WoW" the reactions would be the same. That's why the code of conduct states:

• MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.
    Torval said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ApexTKM said:
    He just related his belief system and why. He didn't ask anyone else to get on board with him. He only suggested that his reasons were based on his belief system.

We all have religion and belief systems we use to make these same decisions what ever you want to call it. The only people bringing religion into the discussion are those that object to him having it.
    At the risk of sounding like a first grader, he started it with his "My problem is the Mature rating... I'm Christian (Catholic) and I dont play games with that rating."

A simple "mature rating... I won't play" would have sufficed if anything along those lines even needed to be shared.

Most of us practice our religions or lack of, quietly and privately with those that share our beliefs. I can't say I've ever been tempted to share mine on a gaming forum. For one thing, it's irrelevant... not to mention it's really tough to bring it up in a mixed crowd without sounding preachy about it.

There are good reasons not to bring religion or politics into discussion areas where they don't belong. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I swear there has been an increase in a lot religious and political trolls lately all over the web tied to just random fake accounts (not all, but many). A lot of them have been bashing every game, (or anything for that mater) they see as objectionable. I see this on steam a lot and sometimes here. I don't know if these people are paid by private organizations with agendas to troll, witch hunt and shove their agendas down our throats or what, but it's absurd and getting out of control. I have seen lots of these accounts reported and closed for making threats, siring up forums with troll comments and it all kinda goes against the message they are trying to push. Make it stop xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Between this and D&L I feel like I'm at the beach! I'm so ready for a AAA sandbox.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Forgrimm said:
    Torval said:
    Forgrimm said:
    ApexTKM said:

That's irrelevant. He brought religion into the conversation and the expected reactions ensued. If someone said "I was going to by this game but I'm a Trump supporter and I saw that a democrat is on the dev team so now I'll stick with WoW" the reactions would be the same. That's why the code of conduct states:

• MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics are forbidden.
    >.> Wont we all get warnings/bans now since we know the rules yet continue to push it? It should encourage the stopping of the conversation about it and get back on topic.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    It doesn't really sound like a sandbox, but more of the older themepark/sandparks that has variety and a lot of options. It is probably better that it isn't a true sandbox. While it seems a lot of people clamor for one, they get boring fast and don't seem to last. I don't really think it is that popular of a style, more like people want a lot of sandbox elements in their game.

It does sound like it will be a pvp game, probably turn into a griefer's paradise. I have like no hype for it at all lol. No interest in twitch either. I do like the era though. It is different and sounds interesting. I'll probably look at it in 5 years when it is in beta lol.

In a related pondering, I wonder if this game will have Salem witch trials .... I think that could be good for a bit of fun, hey? 

Witches was the first thing I thought of when I heard New World, 17th century and supernatural.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Torval said:
    I think the game is going to be action and pvp focused. That's what draws the streaming crowds. My inner pessimist thinks that sandbox is going to be more about open world/territory control and less about crafting and building and player made items. I'm also thinking MMO is going to be mean more like the survival mmo-lites than full on mmorpgs with megaservers or dedicated server sets.
    Yes it is pretty hard to imagine a huge crowd being attracted to watch a three hour raid. With try-fail-respawn over and over again, until everyone gets their dance moves just right and after 30 minutes of choreography the boss falls dead. Even with raid leader meltdowns and shouts of 'more dots, more dots' it just doesn't have the sex appeal.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Regarding predictions I predict its going to surprise most people and be rather good and innovative but likely not innovative enough for this guy who is well in the so called 'niche' market of playing games like 7DTD and VR games

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Another game I was excited for is called Gloria Victis but I found out it has brothels in it. No way will I play it, now. I have high moral standards and I will not tolerate something that is sinful. Heaven is my destination, and Jesus is getting me there! :)

Is this guy for real? Seriously. My sarcasm radar is beeping so loud that I wish it weren't beeping so loud.
  • ThwaiteThwaite Member UncommonPosts: 83
    YES!!! A new game to let us down.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Alverant said:
    Will people who subscribe to Amazon Prime get access to this game?
    That's a common speculation right now, but little more than that at the moment.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Sandbox-SWG-fan nerdgasm...up until the hordes of open world PvP asshats ruin the game for them.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster