Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Niantic Going to Court in Holland For Protected Beach Access

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNiantic Going to Court in Holland For Protected Beach Access

Pokemon Go News - Representatives of the Dutch city of The Hague are taking Niantic Labs to court on October 11th after repeated attempts to contact the company to restrict Pokemon Go from a protected location and during the hours of 11:00 pm and 7:00 am. According to city authorities, Niantic has not responded to requests from the city since mid-August so felt there was no alternative than court to settle the issue.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    If it's a nude beach, it would only be fitting to find a "peek-ach-you" there.
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    So because people are too stupid to understand not to go into places that are closed, we need to take this to court? I guess on some level it makes sense because you can't prosecute sheep for trespassing, so maybe pokemon go players are not smart enough to be held accountable for their own actions.
  • LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited September 2016
    donger56 said:
    So because people are too stupid to understand not to go into places that are closed, we need to take this to court? I guess on some level it makes sense because you can't prosecute sheep for trespassing, so maybe pokemon go players are not smart enough to be held accountable for their own actions.
    The dunes are our only protection against the northsea. We live below sea level. My house is 3.5 meter below sealevel. That's why it is protected.
    We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    The dunes are our only protection against the northsea. We live below sea level. My house is 3.5 meter below sealevel. That's why it is protected.
    Right, but how many of those Pokemon players don't already know that?  I mean you may get some tourist and whatnot but I imagine most are local people.  It's just a game.  If I shoot someone or kill someone because I'm playing a game, that doesn't make the game responsible.  Heck, they have repeated pop ups tell you to look out, watch your areas, not play while driving... it's the people that fail to adhere to those notifications.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Ikeda said:

Right, but how many of those Pokemon players don't already know that?  I mean you may get some tourist and whatnot but I imagine most are local people.  It's just a game.  If I shoot someone or kill someone because I'm playing a game, that doesn't make the game responsible.  Heck, they have repeated pop ups tell you to look out, watch your areas, not play while driving... it's the people that fail to adhere to those notifications.

if your gun has a game that gives you points for shooting people, the gun manufacturer might be to blame as well.
  • LoveRemovalMachineLoveRemovalMachine Member UncommonPosts: 213
    People are more stupid then you give them. Most are plain zombies on the streets who walks into you/me playing this game. Happens a few times already. Getting really sick of these zombies.

And yes Niantic can do something about this and do some research before placing pokemons in the world.

We are always in a race what our intelligence can do for us and what our intelligence does to us.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    It's hilarious how dense people are about culpability. 

Every single person who does the whole "it's not the companies fault" speech deserves to have random stampedes of cows and live stock led across and through their property. You give those cows a good talking to, not the wrangler.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GalaaGalaa Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Niantic should just remove pokemom go from the Hague.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    Ikeda said:
    Asking someone to commit a crime is a crime.

If you shoot someone because a game asked you to do it then the game's creators would face jail time alongside with you.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited September 2016
    Funny how people pass by logic when it comes to this game. Places they would not go, they go. Things they would not do, they do. Not sure how the game is at fault here but maybe I dont understand the law here. My fav so far is the guy playing P-GO driving and sideswiped a cop car.
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    "to ban these small virtual animals...in the streets from 11:00 pm to 7:00 am," That's most likely why they're not responding. That's basically an impossible request.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Not sure why the players are getting the blame now.
    The city officials didn't want a full ban, just more restrictions - the company kept on ignoring them.

How else should the city react?
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    The city officials didn't want a full ban, just more restrictions - the company kept on ignoring them.

Ticketing the people playing outside city bylaws. If there is a no skateboarding in the park bylaw and people break it, who gets in trouble? The guy using the skateboard or the guy who made the skateboard. Seems to me it would be the user. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited September 2016
    The company definitely has to take some responsibility here. Not responding is pretty fucking rude and plain "wrong" I hope a Dutch Judge hammers them.
    Post edited by laserit on

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    The company defiantly has to take some responsibility here. Not responding is pretty fucking rude and plain "wrong" I hope a Dutch Judge hammers them.
    I think it would be a bad precedent to set. If someone makes a program and people using it in ways that break the laws, the software creator is to blame even in part. That could stop a lot of awesome programs from being created. If I stab you, am I 100% to blame? Someone did make that knife for me.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dakeru said:

Ticketing the people playing outside city bylaws. If there is a no skateboarding in the park bylaw and people break it, who gets in trouble? The guy using the skateboard or the guy who made the skateboard. Seems to me it would be the user. 
    Ticketing yeah but then they have to hire people to permanently guard the area.

Contacting the company to ask for minor changes seems the most reasonable approach.
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited September 2016
    Dakeru said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dakeru said:

Contacting the company to ask for minor changes seems the most reasonable approach.
    Thats a slippery slope. So now lawmakers can contact the creator of any program to make changes to it to fit the laws of their country. Can you see where that could be a problem? The cost of software would go way up. Making it again so companies think twice before releasing their programs to the world. Think of the solo programer trying to make a start in the world with a new game. Now he need to release 250 different copies of the game for each major country and security to stop people from different regions getting the wrong copy. What happens if they use a VPN, now who is to blame? Best thing is the user is to blame. 
    edited September 2016
    Our real problem is stupid people. Do the below and then sue the drug company. 

• Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    edited September 2016

Torval said:

donger56 said:

According to the article it's only off limits from 11:00pm to 7:00am so your argument makes no sense. It's okay to trample in the day but not the night? Or are you just adding in some random anecdote from another location to try and build a "me too" argument of appeal to emotion.

No, it's protected land and they don't really want anyone there at any times. The 11-7 thing is on the streets. They want Niantic to remove Pokemon from the streets between those hours, like a Pokemon curfew.
    Nanfoodle said:
    laserit said:
    The company defiantly has to take some responsibility here. Not responding is pretty fucking rude and plain "wrong" I hope a Dutch Judge hammers them.
    I think it would be a bad precedent to set. If someone makes a program and people using it in ways that break the laws, the software creator is to blame even in part. That could stop a lot of awesome programs from being created. If I stab you, am I 100% to blame? Someone did make that knife for me.
    Its not about that.

Its about cooperation. If an authority is telling you that your unintentionally causing damage and you don't even have respect enough to even reply?

Who the heck do some of these companies and corporations think they are these days?

I hope the Judge Hammers them 

laserit said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    laserit said:
    Its not about that.

Its about cooperation. If an authority is telling you that your unintentionally causing damage and you don't even have respect enough to even reply?

Who the heck do some of these companies and corporations think they are these days?

I hope the Judge Hammers them 
    So now you can sue companies if they dont respond to you? So you should be required by law to answer every phone call, email and snail mail sent to you? Again, I see nothing but holes. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dakeru said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Dakeru said:

Thats a slippery slope. So now lawmakers can contact the creator of any program to make changes to it to fit the laws of their country. Can you see where that could be a problem? The cost of software would go way up. Making it again so companies think twice before releasing their programs to the world. Think of the solo programer trying to make a start in the world with a new game. Now he need to release 250 different copies of the game for each major country and security to stop people from different regions getting the wrong copy. What happens if they use a VPN, now who is to blame? Best thing is the user is to blame. 
    Its a slippery slope when companies can do what ever they want and ignore authorities. They are not above everyone.

Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Why? Why does the company have to take responsibility. Let's look at the reality here - the Pokemon aren't really there. People are using software in a manner that goes against local laws. The game even warns you at the start not to do that.

This is just an excuse for another European Union country/gov't entity/municipality to try and milk a private business instead of holding the offender liable. There's no money in holding the offender liable, but a big internet company. Ka-ching! If The Hague was really smart they would find a way to tie Microsoft and Google antitrust lawsuits in there. Oh, and the phone maker. They're responsible too!
    Isn't the company virtually placing them there? They have no control? The thing that I find most disturbing is that they are ignoring the matter. Not even willing to talk about it.

fuck them 

edited September 2016
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    Why? Why does the company have to take responsibility. Let's look at the reality here - the Pokemon aren't really there. People are using software in a manner that goes against local laws. The game even warns you at the start not to do that.

This is just an excuse for another European Union country/gov't entity/municipality to try and milk a private business instead of holding the offender liable. There's no money in holding the offender liable, but a big internet company. Ka-ching! If The Hague was really smart they would find a way to tie Microsoft and Google antitrust lawsuits in there. Oh, and the phone maker. They're responsible too!
    Isn't the company virtually placing them there? They have no control? The thing that I find most disturbing is that they are ignoring the matter. Not even willing to talk about it.

fuck them 
    So are companies that make maps. Should it be a joint lawsuit? What about google maps?