Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Games' New World is a 17th Century Paranormal MMO - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    DMKano said:
    orbitxo said:
    aside from bringing 'twitch' into the mix all these games just feel...meh. they arent bringing anything revolutionary or exciting, the we dotn currently see fail before

like their phone and tablet before it...not hating on Amazon= that is where i do 95% of my shopping. maybe i was expecting an mmo- wish theyd buy wildstar.

Twitch is the key design concept for all of their games.

They want to create a new consumer base that plays, streams and watches twitch. 

I mean Amazon is looking to make billions here via advertising to masses through twitch.

They basically want to replace TV with twitch (as far as gamers go)
    OOOH now it makes much more sense.  They simply want to get people watching more ads.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited September 2016
    Amazon is focusing on mobile games.  That probably is what this will be.  Getting excited over this game is quite prematrure.   As we all know you at this point in time, trying to do a decent MMO on a mobile device is an exercise in frustration.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Amazon owns Twitch. Not really surprising that it will be a big feature for their games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Too early to get excited (hold on to your "Best of Show" award for a bit... at least until it's seen in a show :) ) although I have to say, it is nice to see a Western megabucks corporation willing to roll the dice on an MMO. Need more details.

And BTW, kudos to you guys for your side trip into religion and morality courtesy of the letter "M"... very imaginative of you adding nudity and brothels to the game all in your heads.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ElorantaEloranta Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Love the news.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    yeah one image that is clearly not game play with a small paragraph description I think people need to ease up and wait

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Iselin said:
    Too early to get excited (hold on to your "Best of Show" award for a bit... at least until it's seen in a show :) ) although I have to say, it is nice to see a Western megabucks corporation willing to roll the dice on an MMO. Need more details.

And BTW, kudos to you guys for your side trip into religion and morality courtesy of the letter "M"... very imaginative of you adding nudity and brothels to the game all in your heads.

Funny we live in a world where you are told to embrace people of all color, religion, creed, background and sexual orientation. But someone says their morals wont allow them to play a M rated game and they get dozens of people giving them LOL tags and straight up mocking them for it. Sad.
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

Funny we live in a world where you are told to embrace people of all color, religion, creed, background and sexual orientation. But someone says their morals wont allow them to play a M rated game and they get dozens of people giving them LOL tags and straight up mocking them for it. Sad.
    Well it is a pretty dumb thing to do to jump to conclusions about nudity specifically based on an "M" rating. ESO is an "M" rated MMO and it has one of the most prudish, character, armor and costume designs in any modern MMO nor does it use excessive blood and gore anywhere... come to think of it I'm still not sure why it got an "M" instead of a "T"

Religion is not a reason to mock someone, jumping to conclusions prematurely based on an "M" rating is.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Forgrimm said:
    It's really nice to see a big money studio working on an mmo, instead of a few amateurs with pipe dreams looking for hand-outs on Kickstarter. Two words have me concerned though: Emergent Gameplay. In Archeage that was code for - let douchebags be douchebags and the publisher turns a blind eye because they either can't or won't do anything about it.
    Emergent gamplay usually means different ways to play the same game. 

Sometimes it does mean having systems that allow people to be douchebags but most games are better than that. For example, LotROs class and combat system resulted in a lot of emergent gameplay. Bosses were obviously static in their abilities, trigger points etc, but there was never just a single tactic for success. 

So, you could stick with a trinity "brute force" approach (tank, healer + 4 dps)
    You could go with a buffer approach to give you more room for error (tank, healer, captain, 3 dps)
    You could go with a debuffer approach to make things easier on your healers (tank, healer, loremaster, burg, 2 dps)
    You could go with a CC approach to make any adds much easier (tank, healer, loremaster, 3 dps)

Or lots of weird combinations. For example, one instance, Sammuth Gul, would take an average group 1.5 hours to complete. We had a server speed run competition and the quickest groups did it in 13 minutes with 2 captains, 2 champions and 2 burglars - no tanks or healers!

This is perfect example of emergent gameplay - the community taking advantage of the possibilities of the game to take on content in ways unintended by the developers. It kept things interesting for us as players long past the point of content being completed. 

Compare this to something like SW:TOR, every single group had to be tank, healer  and 2 dps. There were no varying strategies, no varying group makeups....just one way, their way......no emergent gameplay. It meant we all got bored very quickly.

I'm guessing that, being sandbox, emergent gameplay will mean something similar to SWG. Rather than playing the classes and content in different ways, it will be more a case of choosing entire approach to the game. With player cities and pvp, the emergent gameplay is more likely to revolve around where the pvp happens, who the game revolves around etc. So, one server might end up with a massive bandit guild setting up their city somewhere and so all pvp occurs near them, whilst another server lacks bandits so more revolves around pve and hunting monsters, doing trade runs etc. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    DMKano said:
    orbitxo said:
    aside from bringing 'twitch' into the mix all these games just feel...meh. they arent bringing anything revolutionary or exciting, the we dotn currently see fail before

like their phone and tablet before it...not hating on Amazon= that is where i do 95% of my shopping. maybe i was expecting an mmo- wish theyd buy wildstar.

I mean Amazon is looking to make billions here via advertising to masses through twitch.

They basically want to replace TV with twitch 

I think that the real question is "What does that look like?" How do you design an MMO that is compelling to watch/stream? I mean we know arena shooters, MOBA, etc are successful, probably because they're quick. How do you design an MMO to be similarly "exciting". My concern is that they'll wind up with a game full of griefers. I mean they're bad enough now as it is without the motivation of being watched by millions. 
    Hearthstone is the polar-opposite of "quick" or "exciting", yet it's held a top 3-4 twitch spot for like 2 years.  

I think action does bring some viewers, but the main source of steady viewership is interaction with the streamer.  Twitch viewers (including myself) like to feel like they're hanging out with a friend watching him play a video game.

Giving streamers the ability to lead events is a terrific idea.

The main reason MMORPG's don't hold large viewers is because the majority of MMORPG gameplay is grinding on mobs and the streamer tends to zone out.  Giving the streamer a pivotal role in events would be something really different.

And to respond to DMKano, Twitch has already basically completely replaced TV for me, and has for about a year.  It's really exciting to see it expanding like this with new ideas.

Interactive entertainment is where it's at.
    edited September 2016
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

Well it is a pretty dumb thing to do to jump to conclusions about nudity specifically based on an "M" rating. ESO is an "M" rated MMO and it has one of the most prudish, character, armor and costume designs in any modern MMO nor does it use excessive blood and gore anywhere... come to think of it I'm still not sure why it got an "M" instead of a "T"

Religion is not a reason to mock someone, jumping to conclusions prematurely based on an "M" rating is.
    I wont play M rated games. My morality and family values keeps me away from that type of game. I dont think Im better then people that play M rated games, its just my lifestyle choice. People find out new games do not have the features they are looking for post they are upset because _______. But if I jump in and say to bad, was looking forward to a new MMO made by a triple A studio. To bad its M rated, thats too far, too much or as you called me, dumb? Cuse I am disappointed they are shooting for an M rated game. Its a pass for me and my family.  
    edited September 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

I wont play M rated games. My morality and family values keeps me away from that type of game. I dont think Im better then people that play M rated games, its just my lifestyle choice. People find out new games do not have the features they are looking for post they are upset because _______. But if I jump in and say to bad, was looking forward to a new MMO made by a triple A studio. To bad its M rated, thats too far, too much or as you called me, dumb? Cuse I am disappointed they are shooting for an M rated game. Its a pass for me and my family.  
    I also know for a fact that you played ESO despite its M rating and only left it because you didn't like the instancing and phasing, that didn't allow you to play together with your wife as much as you wanted.

How do you square that with "I wont play M rated games. My morality and family values keeps me away from that type of game"?

Oh and BTW, "dumb" wasn't directed at you since you weren't the one who first brought up the M thing... or is that your alt account?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Just because Amazon is a big company doesn't mean that they actually put resources into their game studios. Until they established themselves as actually being a major company (either by making enough money, or by the backing of Amazon, though that would surely drop like it's hot when they don't make money..) i wouldn't say we can expect a major release.

Why would they waste hundreds of millions if they can get away with a few? Especially for something like Breakaway, and for all games "Twitch" being the major feature. Twitch integration costs literally nothing, being interesting to watch has nothing to do with money.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

edited September 2016
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

I also know for a fact that you played ESO despite its M rating and only left it because you didn't like the instancing and phasing, that didn't allow you to play together with your wife as much as you wanted.

How do you square that with "I wont play M rated games. My morality and family values keeps me away from that type of game"?
    I had played every TES game up till they jumped to M rated, have not played them since. I still replay the older TES games. As a huge fan I did get tempted and did play that ESO a M rated game because of the love I had for the series I grew up with as a kid. I am only human. Just had so many things I liked about it. Still does not change the fact your mocking someone for their moral stance is no different then shaming someone for the religion, race or any other life style they pick.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    DMKano said:
    orbitxo said:

They basically want to replace TV with twitch (as far as gamers go)
    must be a new generation of gamers. i personally like to imerse myself on the game that iam playing with no interruptions. twitch and other things i do when iam not in my game
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

I had played every TES game up till they jumped to M rated, have not played them since. I still replay the older TES games. As a huge fan I did get tempted and did play that ESO a M rated game because of the love I had for the series I grew up with as a kid. I am only human. Just had so many things I liked about it. Still does not change the fact your mocking someone for their moral stance is no different then shaming someone for the religion, race or any other life style they pick.
    Well, did you find anything in it that made you think that M was warranted? I've been playing it for 2.5 years and I still have no clue what it did to deserve that arbitrary "M" in someone's opinion.

Being offended because of something that you specifically believe shouldn't be in a game is one thing. Trusting someone else's M is a whole different thing... Thomas was always by far my favorite disciple :)

And yeah, we're all only human... censors that screw-up ratings included.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Ozmodan said:
    Amazon is focusing on mobile games.  That probably is what this will be.  Getting excited over this game is quite prematrure.   As we all know you at this point in time, trying to do a decent MMO on a mobile device is an exercise in frustration.
    Read the article?  Are they streaming mobile games to Twitch?
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

Ozmodan said:
    Well their pre-order page only lists "Windows" as the required OS.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

Well, did you find anything in it that made you think that M was warranted? I've been playing it for 2.5 years and I still have no clue what it did to deserve that arbitrary "M" in someone's opinion.

Being offended because of something that you specifically believe shouldn't be in a game is one thing. Trusting someone else's M is a whole different thing... Thomas was always by far my favorite disciple :)

Hmm, on the one hand I do agree it's dumb to let a government agency label decide what's best for you and/or your family.  On the other hand, I don't have a family but I imagine it would be impossible to thoroughly research everything to ensure it's safe for your kids, so you probably do indeed need to depend on whatever help you can get, even from ass-backwards government agencies.
    Hmm, on the one hand I do agree it's dumb to let a government agency label decide what's best for you and/or your family.  On the other hand, I don't have a family but I imagine it would be impossible to thoroughly research everything to ensure it's safe for your kids, so you probably do indeed need to depend on whatever help you can get, even from ass-backwards government agencies.
    As a starting point maybe. I have two grown kids, the youngest just started her first year of university. We managed just fine using our own judgement.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TzavokTzavok Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I was watching the Breakaway gameplay video and to be honest, i found it looked like a mess, but there was a point in the game when i was like "omg that was a good play" even tho i have no fucking idea about what i was watching, but this guy kind of moved for the whole map, avoiding the enemies with the dashes and then dunked the ball, that was fun to watch.

Now this sandbox sounds interesting, it's not another Orc, Elf, Mutant Squirrel game, which is a good thing, will be paying attention to it.

Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Iselin said:

I guess I will take you calling me dumb for my moral stance as your human falling and move on. I will say this. As a family man, its getting harder and harder to find mainstream games, shows, movies to watch as a family. I agree, the rating system is messed up. What passes for PG-13 today would have been R rated 15 years ago. Think I am full of it. Go watch the biggest horror watched of all time. Jaws. Its tame compared to a PG-13 movie today. I love this forum and I am sadden I can say. Darn I will pass this game does not have PvP, thats ok but if I say I will pass because its M rated. That earns me more LOL tags then a joke. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Nanfoodle said:
    Still does not change the fact your mocking someone for their moral stance is no different then shaming someone for the religion, race or any other life style they pick.
    Meh, sometimes people should be made to account for their choices and some choices are worth mocking. 

I'm not saying this is one of those situations (certainly not for mocking publicly) but, for example, I always take on hippies and vegans when I come across them, question their beliefs and lifestyle choices. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Still does not change the fact your mocking someone for their moral stance is no different then shaming someone for the religion, race or any other life style they pick.
    Meh, sometimes people should be made to account for their choices and some choices are worth mocking. 

I'm not saying this is one of those situations (certainly not for mocking publicly) but, for example, I always take on hippies and vegans when I come across them, question their beliefs and lifestyle choices. 
    IMO, only when they cause others harm and questioning is never wrong. 
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    This could be interesting.