Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Games' New World is a 17th Century Paranormal MMO - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I just heard from the grape vine it's OWPVP full loot.

Lol I miss the Chappelle Show so much.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Well glad to see someone with a fuck ton of money is willing to give the sandbox MMO another go.
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Albatroes said:
    TheFunky1 said:
    It may have to do with language or scantily clad women, but I can never see how those things are worse than playing with magic and killing others non-consensually so maybe there is more to it.
    You suggest that, but he's playing wow......

Naw, WoW doesnt bother me much. I just ignore those few people who dress like that.
    Albatroes said:
    TheFunky1 said:
    It may have to do with language or scantily clad women, but I can never see how those things are worse than playing with magic and killing others non-consensually so maybe there is more to it.

Naw, WoW doesnt bother me much. I just ignore those few people who dress like that.
    Well I highly doubt the game will have actual nudity in it like say something like AoC. It could go the B&S route and just have suggestive themes. With that in mind and since you say you can easily avoid types that engage in those types of visuals, I dont really see a conflict.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens :)
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    TheFunky1 said:

Well I highly doubt the game will have actual nudity in it like say something like AoC. It could go the B&S route and just have suggestive themes. With that in mind and since you say you can easily avoid types that engage in those types of visuals, I dont really see a conflict.
    It depends on the extent of the nudity and suggestiveness. Its highly subjective. If I get a bad feeling about some game, I dont play. I wont play many games for these reasons. If a game becomes a source of temptation, I will avoid it. I love the LORD and I keep His commandments, even in my gaming life.

Some other things dont bother me. PvP for instance. I love PvP.
    edited September 2016
    Another game I was excited for is called Gloria Victis but I found out it has brothels in it. No way will I play it, now. I have high moral standards and I will not tolerate something that is sinful. Heaven is my destination, and Jesus is getting me there! :)
    [mod edit]
    Hmmm, with my post earlier, I wasn't trying to judge or tell Ammon777 how to engage in entertaining content, only suggesting for him/her to not completely rule the game out without knowing more information about it first. As for the morals, that's honestly personal business. I'm sure we all have games we just wont even try because of the standards we set for ourselves, which can range from simple dislike for the particular style and/or genre to moral and ethical reasons.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Yeah, I'm not ruling it out completely just yet. I am just very cautious and not getting my hopes up.

If the Mature rating is because it has a dark atmosphere, Im fine with that. Duskwood in WoW is fun.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Here is the pre-order page

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M07V5OS

For New World of course. Doesn't look like its actually pre-orderable (its showing 0 dollars). But that is to be expected I suppose. Or maybe it is, I haven't tried clicking it. I just see the pricing is at 0.

But its worth bookmarking if your even vaguely interested in it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited September 2016
    More on topic though, Kano does bring up a very valid point. Watching someone play an mmorpg is honestly boring unless stuff is going on. Watching WoW is boring for example and usually streams involving streamed mmorpg experiences just turn into Q&As or places to find out about future schedules. But it is nice to know that AAA companies haven't completely handed development over to indies or the east even though there some from those venues that I'm excited for as well (looking at you Pantheon and Revelations).
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    edited September 2016
    [mod edit]

But all seriousness this game does look interesting.  Building up hype is the easy part though now to see if something worthwhile is eventually delivered.
    Post edited by Vaross on

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    They have a button to sign up for info, but it just goes to the store page, only option I can see there is to put it on your wishlist. Any other way to sign up for updates?
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The features they want to include that are original seemed limited to the stuff related to Twitch. New World at first glance looks like a reskinned H1Z1 with a different theme and remember that H1Z1 was labeled a sandbox before it was released. Someone at Amazon must like H1Z1 because they had the champ from the H1Z1 invitational(wtf is that?) on the same team as the dropout guy and homeless person. Breakaway looks like Huttball in SWTOR and when the studio head started saying how his favorite game was MLB Baseball or w/e I thought that ain't good...

Why hire all these people and focus so much on a service where people watch others play games. Do they know something or did I miss something? Is it more profitable to make games that people watch on a stream rather than play. Do they intend to make games that are fun to play or are just fun to watch others play because in only rare cases is it both. The whole Twitch fixation in their plans seemed cultish and creeped me out. I will be the first in line with Kool-Aid in hand if their games deliver though.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2016
    My feelings, since they are focusing on twitch.

That this particular survival sandbox game is going to be "good"...for the majority of people. Considering it has massive backing behind it (Amazon), and now, I don't want to be overhyped already. But it is possible it can be the WoW of sandbox MMOs...considering the company behind it. That obviously doesn't always mean good things (take a look at SPORE, and many other hyped up games by AAA companies).

However, amazon is a well known brand like Blizzard. That pulls a LOT of weight onto their side, and that doesn't even include big names behind the game (which they hired ex-blizzard employees for). In fact, they got a very well known Blizzard employee to help make the game. That says a LOT.

However, it WILL be made mainstream for the masses. That means it will be technically very fun, good and high quality. But the niche members of MMORPG.com that want a very deep EVE Online-like experience probably will be disappointed.

It is however possible (for better or worse), it can be the WoW of sandbox MMOs and change the industry for sandbox MMOs (like when WoW came out and changed the MMO scene). Which again, many MMORPG.com members may not like at all, but a vast majority of gamers will. That is saying with very very limited info of the game, but going by the developers (who are very well known) behind it and Amazon itself.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Totally unexpected. Maybe there is still chance for MMOs ?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Nice to see a big budget company taking a swing at sandbox MMOs. Will be watching.
    edited September 2016
    BruceYee said:
    The features they want to include that are original seemed limited to the stuff related to Twitch. New World at first glance looks like a reskinned H1Z1 with a different theme and remember that H1Z1 was labeled a sandbox before it was released. Someone at Amazon must like H1Z1 because they had the champ from the H1Z1 invitational(wtf is that?) on the same team as the dropout guy and homeless person. Breakaway looks like Huttball in SWTOR and when the studio head started saying how his favorite game was MLB Baseball or w/e I thought that ain't good...

Why hire all these people and focus so much on a service where people watch others play games. Do they know something or did I miss something? Is it more profitable to make games that people watch on a stream rather than play. Do they intend to make games that are fun to play or are just fun to watch others play because in only rare cases is it both. The whole Twitch fixation in their plans seemed cultish and creeped me out. I will be the first in line with Kool-Aid in hand if their games deliver though.
    Well honestly it is pretty apparent they are banking on people both buying and watching Crucible and Breakaway since they are game types that people watch a lot of on twitch, but oddly enough people watch minecraft a lot on twitch too I believe so....Whatever satisfaction some people get from that might be what they are trying to capitalize on at least a little from New World. Its just really hard to see it for me as well since a lot of "sandbox" games are very boring to watch until stuff happens. Again, we still dont know a lot about it though so maybe it'll become clearer as more information is revealed about the game.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

H0urg1ass said:

Roanoke was discovered abandoned in 1590 and that's sorta in the 17th century.  Lets see, you have Quakers in Pennsylvania, New York was still a dutch colony independent from the British, Native Americans were at war with some colonists and at peace with others, The French were still a significant presence in Canada and the Louisiana territory... there's a lot to work with here especially with an added supernatural element.

Too bad Adam Weishaupt didn't form the Illuminati until 1776 or that could have been an interesting aspect to explore.

That could released on the future as an expansion, but it's too early to talk about that.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Where s the mmo reveal? Is this it?!
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited September 2016

Thupli said:

Where s the mmo reveal? Is this it?!

This is just the lick your lips phase. Expect ongoing mini-reveals to get things cooking.

Just one worry - with Amazon, will there be cardboard lockboxes? Can't see that working :)
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I'm interested, at least it's not another Elf, Dwarf, Orc crapshow.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
      At least we don't have to crowd fund it, it's nice to see something on the horizon with a bit of mystery to it. Here's hoping it's done well, I'm fully expecting to be put off by some of the "embedded" features, but I can look beyond that if the game is fun. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Sounds like Amazon are making a serious play at becoming the "king" of streamed content delivery. First movies, now a foray into Twitch-streamed games ?

New World sounds intruiging, but at what price will the "strong Twitch integration" come ? It may be popular with the masses, but so was reality TV...
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Vaguely reminds me of Granado Espada which was also called something something of the New World in another version.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    TheFunky1 said:

It depends on the extent of the nudity and suggestiveness. Its highly subjective. If I get a bad feeling about some game, I dont play. I wont play many games for these reasons. If a game becomes a source of temptation, I will avoid it. I love the LORD and I keep His commandments, even in my gaming life.

Some other things dont bother me. PvP for instance. I love PvP.
    I'm a Christian too, so I know where you are are coming from.

So violent, wanton killing is OK? Its only representational I realize, but then so is animated nudity most times.

Even if the game has functional brothels (which I doubt) just like in real life you would chose to avoid them.

The best virtual worlds (IMO) are those which mimic real life, and provide players the opportunity to perform acts of great evil as well as good.

How about magic, do you avoid games with it, because practicing it is definitely high on the Bible sin list.

Oh well, people believe what they will but the good news is your salvation is safe, playing video games won't keep you from the Lord.

I am very interested in the setting of this game, and while it may be about the "new world" pretty sure it will be more of an alternate reality.

We won't see representation of native Americans, slavery, witch burnings or any of the other more soiled parts of American history.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon