Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon's Dogma Online - A Glimmer of Hope for the West - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageDragon's Dogma Online - A Glimmer of Hope for the West - MMORPG.com News

In the latest financial statement from Capcom, Dragon's Dogma Online game director Kento Kinoshita offered a ray of hope for those hoping for a Western release of the MMO based on the Dragon's Dogma series of RPGs.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Hope it gets here ...
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I want to play it so bad. I've tried to make a japanese PS4 account and downloaded it but I think it has an IP block. Hopefully it comes here.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    That will easily be the best combat in a mmo to date.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    Not going to hold my breath as I feel like I have already been doing so for a sequel. I am a die hard fan of Dragon's Dogma, and have purchased it three times (twice on 360 and once on PC), but I feel like I have heard this one before.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Such a great single player game.
  • ookibakaookibaka Member UncommonPosts: 38
    As an mmo it wasn't too bad and it was very playable with a vpn and there was a decent sized english community when I last played it
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Arent Capcom the same guys that had an update in the lastest SF that had people downloading malware so they could "stop cheaters" by pretty much high-jacking their desktop?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Waaaaaaahh!!!!

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 156
    would be nice if it came over here.
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • AryanRoAryanRo Member UncommonPosts: 48

by the time this gets toNA /Eu, it will feel like Cabal online. The Asain market needs to be doing world releases instead of creating 2 seperate releases. THey seem to want to double dip with a f2p homeland market and then when sales decline "oh lets release to NA / EU" .. Black Desert is one of the first mmos to have the best release stradegy and other developers should take note

Not only that but gives player with access or hacks to the Asian version the ability to learn and hack the previous versions release in NA.. Cabal was like that .. AOW is like that many games that hit the Asian market first.. makes us the victims to people exploits since most already know how to exploit the game once it comes NA..
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    He'd like to consider, and that only after it established a "solid foundation" (whatever that exactly is) ? Thats not exactly a strong statement. It's not like "we will bring it to the west" or at least "we'd like to bring it" or "will consider". No. It's at least 3 restriction. First, the strong foundation, then he'd "like" to consider, so he will not necessarily do it, and once he actually does, it could still be "so we considered it, but we aren't going to do it".

And it's already been released a year ago. How long does it take for them to get a solid foundation? Games do not usually gain a sudden spike in players so long after release, except maybe when there is a patch of some sort that really changes thinges. So if it doesn't have a solid foundation by now, it's unlikely it will ever get one.

Tl;dr: If it ever makes it to us, no one will care anymore. Then they will blame us for not supporting the game enough and not release anything here the next few years because it's clearly not worth it..

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Anireth said:

Tl;dr: If it ever makes it to us, no one will care anymore. Then they will blame us for not supporting the game enough and not release anything here the next few years because it's clearly not worth it..

Well, I will.

I will drop Black Desert so fast and this will become my main game. Provided of course that it offers the same game play/art design (which it seems it does) as the single player game.

I will also add that last week I wrote capcom and asked them to bring it to the west so clearly that's why we are reading this now.

You are all welcome. ; )

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'd love to see this come over as I'm a big fan of the SP version. But that glimmer is awfully tiny especially since it has already been out for a year in Japan. How long does "establishing a solid foundation" take?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Sovrath said:

Anireth said:

Well, I will.

I will drop Black Desert so fast and this will become my main game. Provided of course that it offers the same game play/art design (which it seems it does) as the single player game.

I will also add that last week I wrote capcom and asked them to bring it to the west so clearly that's why we are reading this now.

You are all welcome. ; )

Add me to the team!

I'd jump to play the game in a heartbeat if it's even remotely similar to the previous game. Such a great and satisfying combat system with actual depth in character customisation. Not to mention some nice features that aren't in many games. (Character creation affects weight limit for example)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:
    I'd love to see this come over as I'm a big fan of the SP version. But that glimmer is awfully tiny especially since it has already been out for a year in Japan. How long does "establishing a solid foundation" take?
    The article mentions they had a "shaky launch" in Japan. Not sure what that means but maybe they are addressing issues?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2016

Sovrath said:

Anireth said:

Well, I will.

You are all welcome. ; )

based on what i've seen from Japanese PS4 gameplay, it plays just like the original Dragon's Dogma but in a Vindictus type of game mode (a town hub with instanced dungeon crawling with a team or solo). I despise that Vindictus-like idea in mmos but i would play DD just because it is DD. DD Online looks like DD had a baby with Monster Hunter or GOd Eater.

Sovrath said:

Anireth said:

Well, I will.

You are all welcome. ; )

based on what i've seen from Japanese PS4 gameplay, it plays just like the original Dragon's Dogma but in a Vindictus type of game mode (a town hub with instanced dungeon crawling with a team or solo). I despise that Vindictus-like idea in mmos but i would play DD just because it is DD. DD Online looks like DD had a baby with Monster Hunter or GOd Eater.
    I don't even think it's possible to have the combat of dragon's dogma (The single player version obviously) in an online open world game yet.

• OniReaverOniReaver Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I absolutely loved DD:O when I played it with my brother earlier this year. The VPN was just annoying to deal with, and constantly jumping through hoops to get it updated with patches got to be too annoying to put up with.

There's been 2 or 3 classes added since I played last, so there's even more to look forward to. It really is essentially just Dragon's Dogma with coop. It's fantastic and I can't wait for them to get off their asses and release over here.
    Bloodaxes said:

Sovrath said:

Anireth said:

Well, I will.

You are all welcome. ; )

I don't even think it's possible to have the combat of dragon's dogma (The single player version obviously) in an online open world game yet.
    I agree. The closest we have is Black Desert, and you can still easily tell it is an mmo combat when compared to a single player game like DD.

Torval said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    rojoArcueid said:
    I agree. The closest we have is Black Desert, and you can still easily tell it is an mmo combat when compared to a single player game like DD.
    If it was hub based like GW1 then it could use the same approach as D3. If you're alone in SP mode with followers then you could pause the combat and game. If you're partied then you can't. That would really be the best of all worlds for me. I would like the option to play with others, but I would hate to see the world overly crowded. It could ruin the atmosphere.
    It would also need free aiming not auto target (On spells/ranged weapons specifically), actual gravity in attacks and handle grabbing on bosses/enemies that can potentially fly away to just name a few things.

edited October 2016
    Torval said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    rojoArcueid said:
    If it was hub based like GW1 then it could use the same approach as D3. If you're alone in SP mode with followers then you could pause the combat and game. If you're partied then you can't. That would really be the best of all worlds for me. I would like the option to play with others, but I would hate to see the world overly crowded. It could ruin the atmosphere.
    You mentioned GW1 as an example so i do agree with you. GW1 did such a great job with instanced gameplay that i would take it any day. Other instanced games like Vindictus did very poor job making you repeat the same little dungeon a million times. In GW1 every "instanced" map was huge with many things to explore, just like an open world mmo but instanced for you and a group. GW1 was great. If DD Online does it like GW1 i would totally prefer that. It is a happy middle between both extremes. Also, GW1 had many areas that were hubs, not just one boring town where players gathered. That was cool too.

• xelrahxelrah Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited October 2016
    Really not sure what do they mean with solid foundation. City looked packed back when I was trying it over VPN and channels were very active so population looked pretty healthy to me. 2.0 was also supposedly very successful in terms of changes (did not try it prior to 2.0).
    Game itself would be a killer since combat is simply better than any mmo currently available to us, even though encounters are a bit simplified compared to DD.
    Also unfortunately overseas can just mean other asian countries, rather than West (they already plan Taiwan server afaik?).
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited October 2016
    The mmo looks cool, but I wish they would make another single player Dragons Dogma. Imagine how amazing it would be with today's tech.