Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should MMORPGs/MMOs let you host your own server (like Ark)?

Would MMOs and MMORPGs benefit from people hosting their own server? Not a private server, but an actual server that anyone can choose to play on, listed in the MMOs server browser?

Like EVE Online, people could make servers PVE only. Or PvP but with 10x (or however much) skill training (so skills would train 10 times (or however much) faster on these servers). Or in WoW, people could put up classic servers or variance of the new expansion. Like mobs could be 5 x harder than the normal servers, or time to level could be turned drastically down (since its kinda too fast as it is). 

That is just some examples taken from Ark unofficial servers.

This would highly benefit the MMORPG/MMO world. People could make servers that fit their own needs. The population to the game would go way up, but population would be dispersed. The only downside is the person(s) hosting (the admins) would need to pay for the server...but this would also benefit the company as they would actually make more money.

What do you guys think? Ark does this and its highly successful. And its great because in Ark, I can join a server that fits perfectly. Where as, most MMORPGs/MMOs I find I want to change a ton of stuff (like make leveling in WoW an actual journey, not a trip to the supermarket)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I doubt this system would work for a loot-based game like the average themepark MMORPG. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Is this so when the game company goes out of business you lose the game?   People keep begging for free stuff.  Make your own game if you want to do this.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The dispersing of the population is a pretty negative factor. You can feel this in traditional MMOs with multiple servers. Playing WoW on a low population server leads to a very different experience, compared to a highly populated one.

ARK can get away with this, as there are no broader social features. Everything is organised into small groups anyway. In games that require markets, dungeon group population, open PvP, the population matters a lot.

The other thing to consider is quality of service. Developers invest a lot of money into MMOs. They generally want to be in control. I think that is the main reason why most private servers get shut down. If your brand perception hangs on some 15 year old hosting a server the right way, it's a risky business.

I had an idea for my Minecraft server, where I would host a hub world. People could then host their own islands, accessible from the hub world. They would be given the tools to modify the server, with the ability to link into the main hub systems. For example, they could set up their own individual markets and then link them into the hub market network.
    Perhaps that approach is more acceptable, as you are not handing over the control completely.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    not really practical for true MMOs.

I self identify as a monkey.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2016
    I doubt this system would work for a loot-based game like the average themepark MMORPG. 
    I dunno. I think it would benefit a lot. Some people want a hard game, others want a normal difficulty game but with an actual journey to level cap. I can't enjoy WoW's leveling experience because its over in a blink of an eye (it used to take A LOT longer to level in WoW). There are people who want to enjoy the leveling experience in WoW, but can't because its so fast.

Others don't want to grind skills for 1000s of hours (like in EVE Online) and just want to get to the meat of the game (which is the PvP). So if EVE allowed this, people could greatly lower skill training time and make whatever other changes on the player hosted server, then people can join those servers. I'd never play EVE because it takes far too long to train skills, but I would play if they did something like this and people made skills train faster. And maybe ships could cost loss resources on these servers, so there is a bigger focus on just PvP.

It is a con though, since the population would greatly disperse on these servers. But, I think it would still balance out with more positives out of it. Ark does have a lot of dead servers, but if the player is paying for it (like Ark, I run a server for 15 a month)...then the company doesn't actually lose anything at all.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'd rather not. Peer-to-peer hosting is bad for any game, let alone MMOs.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    This is a complete different world.

MMO's these days run on powerful hardware, or the most recent ones on Cloud / Instance systems.What would make run yours rather pointless because it's looses the first M.

Usually the cloud system for MMO's is a smart bet, allowing a game world where players wouldn't be locked to X or Y server and can float around to play together, not being able to do so is one big annoyance on many MMO's.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    They would if you paid for it.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    people will never learn........... They see it , they know what it is ..... and yet ...............they feed it
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited September 2016
    Say if someone like Blizzard converted Vanilla WoW into a 40 man single/multiplayer game and sold it.

Maybe hosted it on Battle.net like Diablo

Its an interesting concept.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Shards is already doing this.  It could be done depending on how the game is setup.  MMOlites would make it much easier.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Should someone hand over their IP and branded content to people who will most likely run it into the ground? I'm not sure that's the best idea. 

Could an MMO be made so that people can make their own servers? Many have done that for the past 15+ years, from 4th Coming to Fasaria. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    These questions are always so stupid. Its so broad. An MMO should only contain the features that support it. Forcing the same idea to blanket over all MMO's is stupid. With some games certain ideas will work, with others it wont. There is no "Should MMO's" it should be "What type of MMO's would do well to offer player hosted servers".
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I know it is feeding the troll, but OP, I doubt that any standard gamer is even capable of hosting their own version. I know a few people who have their own servers at home, but they are usually just single-box PCs with server software running on them. 

I don't know anyone who runs their own cluster of servers at home that would be capable of hosting an MMO. The tech needed is just too expensive for the majority of people and you'd only need the tech is you already host something web-based and large scale. 

On top of that, you then have connectivity issues. Running a server with 1000+ people concurrently using it requires a lot of bandwidth - I guess your average fibre connection might be able to do it but not very well. You'd want much better connectivity to create a reliable server. 

Finally, there is the copyright and security issues. To be able to host your own MMO server, the developers would need to release all their server code to you. That will never happen. First, there is copyright issues involved - by releasing their server software, you could analyse the code and steal anything interesting / useful. Then there is the security issue - by releasing the code it makes it much easier to analyse and find holes in the security, therefore compromising the entire game. That is too big a risk. 

Games out there that do let you host (like ARK) aren't MMOs. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Everyone would flock to the easiest server with fastest progression and highest drop rates.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    No :p