Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview(s) With GamersNexus - CitizenCon, ProcGen v2, Alpha 3.0 etc

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
Shamelessly copy and pasted from the Frontier forums

• 4:00 - Updates in the immediate future, Arena Commander update, Star Marine and FPS system refactoring.
  • 6:50 - Alpha 3.0 initial discussion, including brief detailing of professions, gameplay, and locations/worlds.
  • 8:40 - Procedural Planets V2 info, discussion on artist authoring, world-building techniques, and planetary biomes.
  • 10:00 - Biome details (specifically), height maps, and distribution maps.
  • 11:55 - Weather systems in Procedural Generation V2.
  • 14:20 - Artist hands-on with every single plan, artist production pipeline and time required to make planets.
  • 15:10 - Scheduling challenges and planet-building that meets stretch goals.
  • 16:50 - Biome rulesets, edge blending, avoiding carbon copy planet generation.
  • 21:20 - What will be shown at CitizenCon?

And an article if one prefers reading (not a transcript)
http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-c...ha3-citizencon

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    What i take from Chris all the time is he really tries hard to make his interviewer overwhelmed with normal/simple everyday stuff.Even his talk of aiming is regular normal camera work,yet tries to make it sound unique when they do it lol.

Planet generation and talk about not looking copy/pasted from one planet to the next.Well SIMPLE is the term because with auto generation and simple height mapping it takes a very little time to generate the map then likely 2-3 days for some artist/mapper to go in and hand sculpt different areas with tools that are already coded into the game.

Bottom line is that most of the work is simply the team that makes the assets/textures the rest is SIMPLE work that an everyday professional would plot down to make it look good/realistic.
    I find the main problem with this game is always the same,the "work done" completed,it always seems like he has little to show ,little finished work,it is always "we have this coming"speech or we are working on it.

I should always link to or remind people of the time it took 1 guy to "sculpt" 1 month in the EpicCitadel app,it makes SC's team look real bad,real slow.

When all is said and done,it might turn out looking good,who knows maybe even awesome,but to me the ride it took to get there has been very slow,unprofessional like and costing way too much money.I am more than sure it will all end up looking like a team of maybe 10 people built the game with a budget of 5 million,not 100+ million and that is based on what i know a team pf professionals can do.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Personally I cannot stand watching Roberts waffle on, he is the epitome of what we Irish call a gobshite.

I think alpha 3.0 sounds great, how much they manage to get out the door, how bug-free it is and how well it plays remains to be seen but hopefully it is the start of better things. I do hope they manage to get it out this year as well.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    The Weather system is something really interesting, as I was on the chat channel when Sean Tracy last year was all excited about the possibility of doing something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/10/science/An-Image-of-Earth-Every-Ten-Minutes.html?_r=5

Last year it was a possibility, today it seems we'll possibly see in 2 weeks what they managed to achieve on this area.

Wizardry said:
    ~~snip
    You should consider that the tech and the creation of the tools that the artists will work with, is what will speed up all the pipelines. They seem to have some tools but they are working on much else when it comes to PG, is by iterations.

I think this applies to any development team, the first time you do something will be the one you take the most time on, after that the pipelines start going smoothly.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I found the information about what will be shown at CitCon interesting:

"....For the CitizenCon demo, though, a special planet has been created for a “Homestead demo.” This planet is more Earth-like in its biome distribution, containing forests, oceans, mountains, and deserts; the Homestead demo won't see inclusion in 3.0 and is purpose-built for the CitizenCon unveil of Planets V2. Roberts elaborated:

“Sean [Tracy] is working hard on it with a bunch of talented people, so that's [how] we're showing off the potential of V2 planets and some of the cool stuff and play action that can happen in 3.0. We're […] taking one of the missions that's in Squadron 42 and showing how that would feel, from the briefing, to the ship, to taking off, to the mission, and the combination of flying and FPS stuff, so those are the two things we're going to show. We're going to show full-focus this is what V2 planets can do for you, then this is what Squadron 42 is going to feel like and play like, and this is the experience of a mission in SQ42...."

Have fun

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Erillion said:

"We're […] taking one of the missions that's in Squadron 42 and showing how that would feel, from the briefing, to the ship, to taking off, to the mission, and the combination of flying and FPS stuff, so those are the two things we're going to show. We're going to show full-focus this is what V2 planets can do for you, then this is what Squadron 42 is going to feel like and play like, and this is the experience of a mission in SQ42...."

That's a letdown. I was hoping for SQ42 to be far enough that they'd let people play something.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Vrika said:
    Erillion said:

"We're […] taking one of the missions that's in Squadron 42 and showing how that would feel, from the briefing, to the ship, to taking off, to the mission, and the combination of flying and FPS stuff, so those are the two things we're going to show. We're going to show full-focus this is what V2 planets can do for you, then this is what Squadron 42 is going to feel like and play like, and this is the experience of a mission in SQ42...."

That's a letdown. I was hoping for SQ42 to be far enough that they'd let people play something.
    This is Chris Roberts though. Expect absolutely nothing so this way you will never be disappointed.
    edited September 2016
    Vrika said:
    Play stuff? At Citizencon? From what I remember these last years they don't set up the conference with any ability to attendants to play. So that shouldn't be really something to expect on this events.

An actual proper mission playthrough demo of SQ42 works for that end. Some people and their "sources" have been saying all they had was a trailer for it, but seems there's actual gameplay to show.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    Play stuff? At Citizencon? From what I remember these last years they don't set up the conference with any ability to attendants to play. So that shouldn't be really something to expect on this events.
    Indeed, Citizen as always been a presentation (~2 hours) with time allowed so attendees can talks to the developers afterward.
    The 2nd part is live by the way:

Sean Tracy's one is this Friday.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2016
    There are so many things one takes for granted, so many shortcuts/cheats used in modern games that have to be redone from the ground up if you go the unified approach like SC does .... one of those is the sun-rotating planet-shades topic mentioned in Part 2 of the article. I have to confess, i never thought before  about how that is done in games.  When the sun stays the sun in its location in the game world and is NOT just another lightsource in a 3D engine, that can be moved around as necessary .....

Have fun
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Finally news about SQ42. 

This video is a good example of how demos can be made.  Not saying dual universe actually did this but it's interesting to see what devs can do to make a demo appear real.  This is also a running feud between this YouTuber and the devs.

THE HARD TRUTH ABOUT ► DUAL UNIVERSE

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I see in the article on Gamersnexus that this was said about the previous Citizencon demo

"Squadron 42's momentous campaign unveil leveraged Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, and other Hollywood actors to demonstrate initial character technology. At the time, the team thought the characters looked good, Roberts told us in our recent interview. The truth of the matter is that a lot of temporary cheats and bandaids were put in place to get that demo working, and that the character team has significantly improved upon what was initially shown last year (see: Senate Speech). "
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    MaxBacon said:
    The Weather system is something really interesting, as I was on the chat channel when Sean Tracy last year was all excited about the possibility of doing something like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/10/science/An-Image-of-Earth-Every-Ten-Minutes.html?_r=5

Last year it was a possibility, today it seems we'll possibly see in 2 weeks what they managed to achieve on this area.

Wizardry said:
    ~~snip
    You should consider that the tech and the creation of the tools that the artists will work with, is what will speed up all the pipelines. They seem to have some tools but they are working on much else when it comes to PG, is by iterations.

I think this applies to any development team, the first time you do something will be the one you take the most time on, after that the pipelines start going smoothly.
    Sophisticated real weather generation for simulation is something that has been around for a long long time now. http://www.hifisimtech.com/

It wonder how well SC and Cryengine will be able to utilize it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited September 2016
    laserit said:
    Sophisticated real weather generation for simulation is something that has been around for a long long time now. http://www.hifisimtech.com/

On a planetary scale?! I mean to be fair if to compare it needs to be put together with how they actually want to do it on SC, it's not only clouds visible from the surface but also from space. Are they also using that for SC?

The technology may have been around for some time, but is there any game around that ever did this on a planetary scale? (I actually don't know)
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    MaxBacon said:
    laserit said:

On a planetary scale?! I mean to be fair if to compare it needs to be put together with how they actually want to do it on SC, it's not only clouds visible from the surface but also from space. Are they also using that for SC?

The technology may have been around for some time, but is there any game around that ever did this on a planetary scale? (I actually don't know)
    These weather generation applications create weather for the whole earth even real weather in real time, as reported by government weather agencies for aviation use. They create the weather as you need it in a density and radius that can be set depending on the capabilities of your rig.

These simulations can also be run on a network of computers. I have a 3 rig setup so far, one for the flight simulation software http://www.prepar3d.com/ , one for the aircraft systems  http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/sim-avionics  and one for weather generation, air traffic control and a plethora of other addons. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited September 2016
    laserit said:
    These weather generation applications create weather for the whole earth even real weather in real time, as reported by government weather agencies for aviation use. They create the weather as you need it in a density and radius that can be set depending on the capabilities of your rig.

These simulations can also be run on a network of computers. I have a 3 rig setup so far, one for the flight simulation software http://www.prepar3d.com/ , one for the aircraft systems  http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/sim-avionics  and one for weather generation, air traffic control and a plethora of other addons. 
    I was more talking about the technical challenge behind it, being one online game and with all the other things taking on resources i'd say this kind of simulation can't go the full way.

For example looking at the planet from space and time lapsing it seeing something similar that what I posted on that first link, I wonder how expensive it is as the planet itself is static it only rotates but the weather is the opposite.
  • ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    He sounds like a telemarketer. I thought this "awagawd it's the best thing eveeer" style of marketing died in the 90s, but nope. And it works too. Idris, only today for 4999.99.