Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fragmented on the xbox and VR, rip TR.

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited September 2016 in The Repopulation
http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/19/fragmented-makes-xbox-one-plans-experiments-with-vr/

So instead of putting time and resources into working on the game people backed "The Repopulation" they are using it to release this stupid survival game Fragmented on the xbox and wasting time on vr crap.

I didnt get too upset when I heard they had problems with the hero engine so they needed to do work on it piece meal, but this doesnt sound like they are working on it at all. And also I guess I dont really understand their issue with the hero engine, as I fired up ESO on my pc the other day and on start up it says powered by the hero engine. I was under the impression the hero engine was going out of business or something and thats why they had to start over with the unreal engine. Guess I didnt read enough about it.

I wish I could get my $45 back. :(
Post edited by Asheram on

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    My guess is they need an influx of cash in order to finish it, have the assets and whatever else they need to finish this game and are hoping they sell enough copies to put their profit into repopulation. 

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Well at this rate I highly doubt we will see the mmo, or when we do it will be obsolete.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    They made the survival game to give players who had a working game something to play with while they get it back up to mmorpg level. VR is a pretty popular feature now. I can see how if you aren't interested in the survival game or VR how that might feel like a waste of resources, but I think others might be interested. Why don't you ask for your money back?

Not sure about the hero engine.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    If they can't make money on steam sales then how can they expect other platforms will be any better? Steam  revenue is much greater than any dated console. Make a generic survival game, expect terrible sales.

Looking at steam reviews most of them never wanted this Fragmentted game. They wanted the SWG "remake".
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I think they even stated they hoped for more sales for this survival junker game and sadly due to the low sales they are low on cash so now their selling on consoles for another attempt at more money.

SNIP

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    mmoguy43 said:
    If they can't make money on steam sales then how can they expect other platforms will be any better? Steam  revenue is much greater than any dated console. Make a generic survival game, expect terrible sales.

Looking at steam reviews most of them never wanted this Fragmentted game. They wanted the SWG "remake".
    Console sales regularly outsell their PC counterparts. Steam revenue is not greater than console revenue on a per title basis. 

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    mmoguy43 said:

Console sales regularly outsell their PC counterparts. Steam revenue is not greater than console revenue on a per title basis. 
    Maybe in the past that was true but it is becoming less so. Are you telling me that Fragmented, of all games, will sell better on Xbox One than on Steam?

Report: A Vast Number Of Multi-Platform Games Sell Better On The PC Than On Xbox One

PC games sales to eclipse value of console games sales in 2016

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Has Sold More Copies On PC Than Consoles Combined – Developer

Six year old RPG Valkyria Chronicles tops Steam sellers list

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    mmoguy43 said:
    mmoguy43 said:

Maybe in the past that was true but it is becoming less so. Are you telling me that Fragmented, of all games, will sell better on Xbox One than on Steam?

Report: A Vast Number Of Multi-Platform Games Sell Better On The PC Than On Xbox One

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Has Sold More Copies On PC Than Consoles Combined – Developer

his second sentence can be true while his first sentence can be false.

which I think might be possible
    'outselling' (as in number of units sold) and 'revenue per title' and 'overall revenue' are all not the same thing

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    mmoguy43 said:
    mmoguy43 said:

Xbox One isn't the only console. When a company releases a "console title", often it's across multiple platforms, and not exclusive to a single one (unless they are getting a kick back for making it a platform exclusive).

Steam (and other PC retailers) often sells a lot of copies, but at deep discounts (Steam sales are a constant thing, there's always dozens of titles on sale). Console sales occur much less often, and typically discounted much less. So even if you sell more PC copies, you end up making more money from the console versions. It may be a different headline if you look at revenue per platform from CD Projekt Red, I bet that would paint an entirely different picture. And, ironically enough, I found an article that says the exact opposite of what you found - I guess you can find anything on the internet these days. 

A lot of games happen to be console ports, and bad ones at that, so no wonder many console versions often sell better than the PC version. That isn't necessarily a good thing, it's just a fact. And it goes to show where the publisher's priorities lay - console first, PC second. Very rarely do you see games (other than some of the big budget AAA titles) expand the PC version to be better than the console version.

Publishers love digital console sales. They loath digital storefronts like Steam, and that's why a lot of them push to open their own online stores. And they hate retail copies, because those can get traded in the gray market.
    Ridelynn said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    mmoguy43 said:

Xbox One isn't the only console. When a company releases a "console title", often it's across multiple platforms, and not exclusive to a single one (unless they are getting a kick back for making it a platform exclusive).

Steam (and other PC retailers) often sells a lot of copies, but at deep discounts (Steam sales are a constant thing, there's always dozens of titles on sale). Console sales occur much less often, and typically discounted much less. So even if you sell more PC copies, you end up making more money from the console versions. It may be a different headline if you look at revenue per platform from CD Projekt Red, I bet that would paint an entirely different picture. And, ironically enough, I found an article that says the exact opposite of what you found - I guess you can find anything on the internet these days. 

A lot of games happen to be console ports, and bad ones at that, so no wonder many console versions often sell better than the PC version. That isn't necessarily a good thing, it's just a fact. And it goes to show where the publisher's priorities lay - console first, PC second. Very rarely do you see games (other than some of the big budget AAA titles) expand the PC version to be better than the console version.

Publishers love digital console sales. They loath digital storefronts like Steam, and that's why a lot of them push to open their own online stores. And they hate retail copies, because those can get traded in the gray market.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    From another post on MMORPG.com about the Hero engine troubles.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/441732/confirmed-hero-engine-in-deep-financial-troubles

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    No one actually knows whether the Witcher 3 sold better on one platform or another.  The article that Ridelynn linked is actually sourced from some backwater web page named WCCFTECH and their source is supposedly from the official forums which are in Polish, and not from the mouth of Marcin himself.

The second link claiming PC sales were higher in an interview with Marcin merely claims that "Witcher" sales have been higher overall on PC in Poland and never actually mentioning Witcher 3.  Even worse, he said that he plays all of his games on a Mac these days so uggghhh, I wouldn't be linking that video for proof that PC gaming is king.

So basically these articles are all half truths, misdirection and lies which is as common in gaming journalism as it is at CNN, MSNBC and Fox.

All of this being said, The Repopulation is really starting to look like another MMO swirling down the drain.  To have the game at a certain state, then pull the plug and start over completely in a new engine is one of the most costly things I can think of.  Then there's the morale of the employees.  If there's anything I really hate doing it's the same good work twice in a row because the first one was lost or destroyed.
    edited September 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    No one actually knows whether the Witcher 3 sold better on one platform or another.  The article that Ridelynn linked is actually sourced from some backwater web page named WCCFTECH and their source is supposedly from the official forums which are in Polish, and not from the mouth of Marcin himself.

The second link claiming PC sales were higher in an interview with Marcin merely claims that "Witcher" sales have been higher overall on PC in Poland and never actually mentioning Witcher 3.  Even worse, he said that he plays all of his games on a Mac these days so uggghhh, I wouldn't be linking that video for proof that PC gaming is king.

So basically these articles are all half truths, misdirection and lies which is as common in gaming journalism as it is at CNN, MSNBC and Fox.

All of this being said, The Repopulation is really starting to look like another MMO swirling down the drain.  To have the game at a certain state, then pull the plug and start over completely in a new engine is one of the most costly things I can think of.  Then there's the morale of the employees.  If there's anything I really hate doing it's the same good work twice in a row because the first one was lost or destroyed.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/dont-look-now-but-the-pc-is-the-worlds-biggest-gaming-platform/

everyone 'should' know that PC games currerntly are selling more and making more money then both consoles combined

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/dont-look-now-but-the-pc-is-the-worlds-biggest-gaming-platform/

everyone 'should' know that PC games currerntly are selling more and making more money then both consoles combined

Sorry to break it to you but.. http://venturebeat.com/2016/03/29/mobile-gaming-widened-its-lead-over-all-other-game-platforms-in-2015/

Mobile is making more money than both PC and Mac combined.

Doesn't mean much,  and The Witcher is on of very few exceptions,  not even remotely close to the rule in terms of game sales.  Take 10 titles launched on both console and PC and the majority of them will sell much better on Console.  

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    H0urg1ass said:

If the had decided on a whim to change the engine, I would agree with your concerns. 

But the decision to change engines was made when the developers of the Hero Engine (the engine that Repop was based on before) closed down operations for an "unspecified period" at the end of 2015. They had run out of funding and were looking for a new investor.

Hero engine was obviously facing a very uncertain future. That meant that continuing to develop Repop on that engine carried some serious risks. Hence the switch.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    H0urg1ass said:

If the had decided on a whim to change the engine, I would agree with your concerns. 

But the decision to change engines was made when the developers of the Hero Engine (the engine that Repop was based on before) closed down operations for an "unspecified period" at the end of 2015. They had run out of funding and were looking for a new investor.

Hero engine was obviously facing a very uncertain future. That meant that continuing to develop Repop on that engine carried some serious risks. Hence the switch.
    Oh, don't get me wrong.  I'm not blaming this on the developers, they were caught between Scylla and Charybdis, there was nothing they could do.  However, swapping engines is still extremely costly and detrimental to morale.  I would put this game on the extremely iffy side of making it to launch.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Just right for caution.  Too early for RIP.

I self identify as a monkey.

Ahh ok I see now, ESO only used the hero engine til they finished developing their own, they still credit it on start-up splash screen.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    Its sad repop have gone from and months of https://www.therepopulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3823 (they were never shy to show what they had been working on)... to showing/talking almost nothing about the project for 10+ months.

zerocount said:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/441732/confirmed-hero-engine-in-deep-financial-troubles

And yet a year later the compant that caused the whole thing miraculously comes back and buys the ip of the game they ruined, probably for a pittance too.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/460081/the-repopulation-ip-and-assets-sold-to-idea-fabrik-maker-of-hero-engine#latest

I want my money back.
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    Asheram said:
    zerocount said:

And yet a year later the compant that caused the whole thing miraculously comes back and buys the ip of the game they ruined, probably for a pittance too.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/460081/the-repopulation-ip-and-assets-sold-to-idea-fabrik-maker-of-hero-engine#latest

I want my money back.
    That wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Asheram said:
    zerocount said:

I want my money back.
    What we will get is the old The Repopulation soon. Still on Hero Engine. Don't expect any serious further development after that.

Kind of like how Fallen Earth was bought by Gamersfirst. They made it F2P, added a cash shop and most development was for loot boxes, for which you bought a key in their shop. All the bugs were still there and nothing of what was originally planned made it to the game.

I don't expect any better in this situation. Even if it doesnt turn out this bad, they are a completely different development team with their own vision. Crafting complexity will be the first to go I bet :p

And Fragmented will be rushed out to get on Xbox. They are betting on sales for console, because in its current state its kind of bad compared to many other survival games on PC.

So yeah, its probably over for both games.
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    What we will get is the old The Repopulation soon. Still on Hero Engine. Don't expect any serious further development after that.

Just curious why you would say that?