Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legion is basically a huge dump on crafters

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
The scarcity of materials for any craft is appalling.  Can't remember it being worse in any other expansion.  When early morning herb gathering today and got 10 herbs.  Then when you look at the recipes, they need large amounts of materials to make.

All I can say is that whoever decided spawn points and rate really hates people that craft.

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Mining isn't much better. At first blush, it would seem skinners have it easy but their drops have been nerfed into the ground and the number of skins needed to make anything is huge. :/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    As an herbalist/alchemist this is the best it's ever been. I'm regularly selling flasks of the countless armies for 2,000 to 2,500g a piece. Mana/health pots are selling for 500+g for a stack of 5. I've made over 280k gold since Legion started. And I just got rank 3 for starlight rose so now I never get dust when i gather them.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The time sink is real.
    Forgrimm said:
    As an herbalist/alchemist this is the best it's ever been. I'm regularly selling flasks of the countless armies for 2,000 to 2,500g a piece. Mana/health pots are selling for 500+g for a stack of 5. I've made over 280k gold since Legion started. And I just got rank 3 for starlight rose so now I never get dust when i gather them.
    Lucky you.

Any armor crafting profession is garbage, though gathering is OK for awhile to supply Alchemists, Enchanters and to a lesser degree Inscriptors.

They only got it half right at best.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited September 2016
    Forgrimm said:
    Zoom, my point went right over your head.  Pretty hard to make potions when you cannot find the materials!

I have given up trying to make  alchemy potions, what good does it do if I cannot find the materials to make them????  Sure you can make money selling them, BUT I can't even produce enough potions for my own use let alone sell any!!!!
    Ozmodan said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Zoom, my point went right over your head.  Pretty hard to make potions when you cannot find the materials!

I have given up trying to make  alchemy potions, what good does it do if I cannot find the materials to make them????  Sure you can make money selling them, BUT I can't even produce enough potions for my own use let alone sell any!!!!
    If you can't find the materials then you're not looking very hard. I gather 100% of my mats and haven't had any trouble getting them. The only bottle neck was starlight roses since you only get 1 per node and before rank 3 you get dust some times. But even then i tried different spots in Suramar until I found an area with a higher concentration. Nodes are multi-tap now too, so more than one person can gather from one.
  • joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    My intelect flasks sell for 3500g on my server. So 3x 3/4 h of raiding per week. I need 12-14K gold on that alone. Then I also need pots, food and repairs.  Raiding alone costs me 20k-25k PER WEEK. 
    And since I raid high end mythic I can't just say fuck it.... Blizzard needs to fix this
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Ozmodan said:
    Forgrimm said:

The problem is you haven't put in the time to level up to 3 stars for herbing.  It took me a week to have all or them at 2 stars without even trying.  Getting the 3 stars takes longer but isn't hard.  Hell you can even get the 3 stars in starlight rose in 2 weeks if you put in the effort.  Once you have leveled your herbing it is easy, I pretty much have over 200 of each herb all the time now except starlights which stays around 50.  You can even get an enchant for shoulder that makes herbs drop.  I like the changes it makes you go out and work so that the market wasn't flooded on day one.  The only advice other than go level your herbing by gathering is not to make potions for oblierate, make the trinkets instead.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2016
    I've had no problems gathering most of my mats via mining and skinning but I am doing this on a medium server so of course that's always a factor. Make sure you guys are getting the shoulder/glove enchants to make it easier on you when getting stuff. Could easily farm a thousand cloth thanks to scavenger.

Also some gathering recipes are hidden around, checking with underbelly merchants is a good idea for stuff like gutting for skinning.
    Albatroes said:
    I've had no problems gathering most of my mats via mining and skinning but I am doing this on a medium server so of course that's always a factor. Make sure you guys are getting the shoulder/glove enchants to make it easier on you when getting stuff. Could easily farm a thousand cloth thanks to scavenger.

Also some gathering recipes are hidden around, checking with underbelly merchants is a good idea for stuff like gutting for skinning.
    The gathering shoulder enchants are fantastic too.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Soooooooo, are we saying gathering is the problem? Or is crafting broken altogether? I haven't looked at it since WoD and the horrible crafting in that. I was hoping professions would go back to pre-WoD style. So are professions more pre-WoD or WoD like? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Blizzard stated many times that they will have a look into professions. Yet they have been mostly useless for ??? years.
    Same outrage with classes/balance.

Honeymoon is over for many players and there have been some very reasonable critics about Legion allover the forums. Professions are stated in that regard many times.

They should fire everyone who made a major decision for the last two expansions and then fire who is left.

• FujieFujie Member UncommonPosts: 13
    About the only Material I've had issues finding are Foxflower, even then its not too bad.

I have limited time to play and don't find gathering bad at all.  Its just not handed to us this time around.  As someone else said, its nice to not have the market flooded with everything immediately.

Just get out there and gather, you'll learn some decent routes and the mats will come much easier. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2016
    Volgore said:
    Blizzard stated many times that they will have a look into professions. Yet they have been mostly useless for ??? years.

Honeymoon is over for many players and there have been some very reasonable critics about Legion allover the forums. Professions are stated in that regard many times.

They should fire everyone who made a major decision for the last two expansions and then fire who is left.

I probably wouldn't say fired, but they definitely have had far too much arrogance the past 2 expansions. Pretty much they kept saying that people would love WoD with trying to sell Garrison and Ashran as its two main points. Those of which failed. This expansion, they admit that their process is flawed and pretty much say you'll either love or hate what they put out until THEY find something that makes YOU love them again lol. Because Blizzard in their infinite wisdom felt that going quest heavy and making a lite version of garrison which people wanted them to do completely away with was the right course of action...

Also with how much rep you need to grind this expansion, it would've been nice if they took away from MoP's way of grinding rep and allowed you to get an account wide rep boost that doubled how much rep you gained on future toons.

Alas, defenders only look at the short game and not the long game of things. Some systems are great in the beginning but horribly flawed for a 1.5 to 2 year plan. I applaud them for trying something unique with the artifact system and it actually feels rewarding to some degree when you work on them (power acquisition scaling could use some work) but in the end, just like WoD, you gain nothing but 110 and actually no weapon since the system wont carry over into the next expansion.

PvP was a really good job and 7.1 will only make it better since I believe your talents wont get wiped once you try to up your prestige, so I kind of seeing a system like this remaining for future expansions.
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Glad to see they finally fixed Blacksmiths so that getting 800 was POSSIBLE. The issue I have is the very strange amounts it takes to make things....Bracers take 60 bars while boots take like 4....Sure I know get rank 2 and 3 and it's less but really? 60 bars of Demonsteel (2 of the harder to find ore and 1 of the easy ore for ONE bar) Bracer mats for metal should not be more than even a darn breastplate...Unless you're making the armor for a certain spinach addiction sailor.....

As for the other crafting, the only part I dislike is that you need to basically level them to 110 to be able to get all the patterns. Yes the grind is real folks.

Volgore said:

If you listen to the "reasonable critics" on any game's official forum you'd believe that all games are nothing but doom and gloom. In one of your recent posts you said that you hadn't even bought Legion yet. So are you going by the angry vocal minority on the forums, or have you bought the xpac since and come to these conclusions through your own experience?
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Albatroes said:
    Volgore said:

I probably wouldn't say fired, but they definitely have had far too much arrogance the past 2 expansions. Pretty much they kept saying that people would love WoD with trying to sell Garrison and Ashran as its two main points. Those of which failed. This expansion, they admit that their process is flawed and pretty much say you'll either love or hate what they put out until THEY find something that makes YOU love them again lol. Because Blizzard in their infinite wisdom felt that going quest heavy and making a lite version of garrison which people wanted them to do completely away with was the right course of action...

Also with how much rep you need to grind this expansion, it would've been nice if they took away from MoP's way of grinding rep and allowed you to get an account wide rep boost that doubled how much rep you gained on future toons.

Alas, defenders only look at the short game and not the long game of things. Some systems are great in the beginning but horribly flawed for a 1.5 to 2 year plan. I applaud them for trying something unique with the artifact system and it actually feels rewarding to some degree when you work on them (power acquisition scaling could use some work) but in the end, just like WoD, you gain nothing but 110 and actually no weapon since the system wont carry over into the next expansion.

PvP was a really good job and 7.1 will only make it better since I believe your talents wont get wiped once you try to up your prestige, so I kind of seeing a system like this remaining for future expansions.
    Someone on the official forums put it like this:
    "Blizzard looked at what people hate and made it mandatory."

They are far too obsessed with their metas, spreadsheets and data. If the data shows that people avoid something, Blizzard forces it upon them. If the data shows that people like something, it'll get nerfed or the fun taken out of it in some way. If the forums show that people don't agree with a concept, punish them ("Pathfinder", flying).

For many years they have forgotten the game above the data and so many times they literally went on a crusade against players that prefered only certain aspects of the game. Against PvP twinks back then, then against players that didn't want to raid, against players that didn't want to partake in garrisons (which were said to be "optional" before WoD) and what not...right now they are on a crusade against alts.

I used to write many times that over the years Blizzard turned into absolute control freaks. Legion shows once again that they went from giving the players choices to "you play the game exactly like we want you to".

In their arrogance they seem to think that every concept in and around WoW is too big to fail, yet WoD and the movie should have shown them otherwise.

As far as gathering goes I decided to jump in and do just 30 mins of gathering starlight roses.  In that time I gathered:

46 roses
    4 blood of sargeras
    not sure how many mana but was a nice chunk to.

Now take in to account that the roses you only get 1 per spawn unless you are lucky.  I got lucky one time, which gave me 4 extra. 

Now considering that I already have the other mats I would be able to make 6 flask right there that will sell for a nice chunk of change.

Not really seeing a problem with gathering at all.

If you wanted to talk about being able to use the stuff you craft for a while then yeah I would say the crafting side is crap because you replace all the gear you would waste your time crafting in just a couple mythic runs.  But there are people that will buy it still.  They really do need to go back to making crafting compare to other gear or there is no point in crafting gear at all.   Maxing out crafted gear at 850 is stupid, no point in doing it.
    Volgore said:
    Albatroes said:
    Volgore said:

Someone on the official forums put it like this:
    "Blizzard looked at what people hate and made it mandatory."

They are far too obsessed with their metas, spreadsheets and data. If the data shows that people avoid something, Blizzard forces it upon them. If the data shows that people like something, it'll get nerfed or the fun taken out of it in some way. If the forums show that people don't agree with a concept, punish them ("Pathfinder", flying).

For many years they have forgotten the game above the data and so many times they literally went on a crusade against players that prefered only certain aspects of the game. Against PvP twinks back then, then against players that didn't want to raid, against players that didn't want to partake in garrisons (which were said to be "optional" before WoD) and what not...right now they are on a crusade against alts.

I used to write many times that over the years Blizzard turned into absolute control freaks. Legion shows once again that they went from giving the players choices to "you play the game exactly like we want you to".

In their arrogance they seem to think that every concept in and around WoW is too big to fail, yet WoD and the movie should have shown them otherwise.

The problem is Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore.  90% of the people that made Blizzard what it is left.  This is another company with the same name.  My wifes aunt worked there for years, just not the say company.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    See what happens when things get reverted back to vanilla spawn rates for top tier crafting, people claim the sky is falling.  yes I remember having to ride around for HOURS and HOURS to make a SMALL amount of high end stuff.  I also made allot of money because most people didn't want to deal with it.

I applaud Blizzard for putting some value back into their economy.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    goboygo said:
    See what happens when things get reverted back to vanilla spawn rates for top tier crafting, people claim the sky is falling.  yes I remember having to ride around for HOURS and HOURS to make a SMALL amount of high end stuff.  I also made allot of money because most people didn't want to deal with it.

I applaud Blizzard for putting some value back into their economy.
    QFT

I think people are forgetting about the competition for nodes aspect. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    So! From what I read, it seems Blizzard have finally added stuffs to do which actually requires time and not just hand stuffs for every QQ-er !

Glad they did this! 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Everyone wanted old school wow...welcome to the grind  \o/

There are always places/paths you need to follow to maximize gathering, the trick is to find them.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited September 2016
    Sounds to me like they want people playing for a while instead of the old 30 days post expansion release they are trying to explain to shareholders where everyone went.

Grinds are good for MMORPGs. The real question is.......Is the reward worth the effort.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    joeri123 said:
    My intelect flasks sell for 3500g on my server. So 3x 3/4 h of raiding per week. I need 12-14K gold on that alone. Then I also need pots, food and repairs.  Raiding alone costs me 20k-25k PER WEEK. 
    And since I raid high end mythic I can't just say fuck it.... Blizzard needs to fix this

This is your problem.  You don't want to put effort into it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"