Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft and phones?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I wouldn't put too much into it. The main reason for acquisition was the patents and gain the talent for designing phones in general. Currently every smart phone gives $5-$15 to Microsoft in royalties. A portion of that are the Nokia patents. So even if they do spin off their smart phone OS which they are unlikely to do, they still make a shit ton of money.

In any company you have a core group of designers who make their premier devices. Then you have a bunch of support to make it work, fill in vendor channels, answer customer questions, market the product, secure manufacturing, and test the product. When you are a large company like Microsoft that has its own specialized divisions for marketing and testing of all their products, it doesn't make sense to have a separate entity for a small part of their company. It makes more sense to integrate the core design group, pilfer the talent for other divisions, and let the rest go to limit costs. Do you think most of the people at OCZ are still there or are integrated into Toshiba?

Microsoft over the last several years has been making moves in changing how wireless phones work. First there is the carrier independent design. Despite what T-Mobile has said, Microsoft has been working with ATT and T-Mobile to get features working on the Lumia 950 and 950XL so they can be carrier independent devices. Things like you put in a sim card and get access to WiFi calling, Visual Voicemail, and e911. The problem is their systems are old and ties a device to a carrier through some flashing. T-Mobile is more likely to move away from such a system due to their company focus. Microsoft and many hardware makers would prefer this so they won't have to make carrier specific phones.
    Second is the integration of Windows 10 and Windows Mobile 10. If Microsoft Edge was not shit, I can easily browse between my devices using syncing. I can play a mobile game on my Windows Phone and have the data saved for when playing it on the PC or Continuum. The devices can communicate well enough where I can move between the 2.
    Third are the converters with a desktop like interface. Win32 to UWP, and iOS to UWP. As a result its the best phone to use for work. 1 device, you can convert your 1998 programs into UWP and use them through Continuum while still having a phone and consuming far less energy in the process. It can easily replace entire companies computer hardware from the mid-2000s that are still in use with many companies.

So before I would write off Windows Mobile, I would at least wait until the Wireless summit or whatever its called. The next Windows Phone will be a Surface Phone that can natively run x86 applications.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I like my windows phone.  For work/business, it crosses smoothly to Windows OS, and that is hard to beat.

HP is/has come out with that killer one for business.  Can act as a full on CPU for a laptop, etc.  IMO, windows phone is really geared towards business; other phones don't touch it.  Sure it doesn't have gaming apps, but for doing Windows work for a business, it has all the tools and then some.

Of course, I am not happy with privacy issues with Google or Windows, so I am looking for alternatives.  Firefox scrapped their phones, so boo!  Maybe blackberries non-Android phones have more privacy?  Not sure... OS'es are becoming a bitch :Q

• rumoursqueenrumoursqueen Member CommonPosts: 3
    I thought Windows and its products are more secured than those from Google. i love Nokia and have good impression about Microsoft but to tell the truth, Nokia and Microsoft if a total failure trade. MS ruined Nokia. I heard that Nokia phone will come out with Android oS, I have no idea about this combination at all.