Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The right game for me

AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

I know there are several similar posts, but my tastes are my own, so maybe the right game for me is different from the other posters..

I only started MMO's a few months ago with Guild Wars, but have since switched to WoW, which seems to have far more "depth". I enjoy a variety of gameplay, and although my highest level character is a 41st level warlock, I also maintain a number of alts, having five characters of level 30 or above.

I play for escapism, and the occasional feeling of achievement. I enjoy being in a well formed team, where everyone knows their role, but hate having to cope with the incompetent or the immature. I like the size of WoW, the background and the variety, but in some ways it feels too easy.  I also enjoy the occasional instanced pvp, but I'm not attracted to hard-core pvp games where ganking is an ever-present possibility. I know my reflexes aren't perfect, and whilst I have a fair understanding of strategy, I am unlikely to be able to compete with your average experienced FPS player.

I'm also not attacted to the idea of raiding. It all sounds far too stressful and impersonal.

I'm looking for something else to try as a sideline to WoW, maybe to be played only an evening or two a week for a change of pace, but perhaps with the potential to become more involved if and when WoW fades away.

Any suggestions? Currently I'm considering something like FF XI.

Comments

• ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680

Originally posted by Antipathy
    I know there are several similar posts, but my tastes are my own, so maybe the right game for me is different from the other posters..

I only started MMO's a few months ago with Guild Wars, but have since switched to WoW, which seems to have far more "depth". I enjoy a variety of gameplay, and although my highest level character is a 41st level warlock, I also maintain a number of alts, having five characters of level 30 or above.

I play for escapism, and the occasional feeling of achievement. I enjoy being in a well formed team, where everyone knows their role, but hate having to cope with the incompetent or the immature. I like the size of WoW, the background and the variety, but in some ways it feels too easy.  I also enjoy the occasional instanced pvp, but I'm not attracted to hard-core pvp games where ganking is an ever-present possibility. I know my reflexes aren't perfect, and whilst I have a fair understanding of strategy, I am unlikely to be able to compete with your average experienced FPS player.

I'm also not attacted to the idea of raiding. It all sounds far too stressful and impersonal.

At the moment I'm looking for something else to try as a sideline to WoW, maybe to be played only an evening or two a week for a change of pace, but perhaps with the potential to become more involved if and when WoW fades away.

I seriously can not believe you spoke of depth within WoW, there certainly isn't any...  If you're looking for achievement, you want a PvP game probably, it basically kills 2 birds with one stone, you have intense fights with other players that are generally heart pumping, and you eliminate immaturity, because whose going to be an idiot when people can kill you and cause some penalty to you?

Have you ever played a "hardcore PvP game"?  I don't exactly know what your personal definition of hardcore PvP is, but I expect its probably along the lines of looting.  However, these types of games can be quite enjoyable, as you get killed, you will soon learn how to fight back and be good, as I said, the fights are intense and heart pumping, especially when theres something on the line like some of your loot.  I would really recommend giving a PvP game a try if you havn't.  About ~8 years ago when I was 10 years old or so, I tried Asheron's Call, after playing some more carebearish games, particularly on the PvP server of Asheron's Call, it was really amazing, and it gets you hooked, the politics, the maturity, a lot of good people, and yet a lot of bad people.  I recommend waiting for the game known as Darkfall Online.
  • AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362

> I seriously can not believe you spoke of depth within WoW, there certainly isn't any..

After having started with Guild Wars, there certainly is!

I really don't know that much about other MMO's, but I can see that WoW has alot of background, alot of possible quests, a workable system for professions and trade skills etc. Maybe it isn't the best, but I suspect it is better than many others.

I think your tastes sound different to my own. I'm not really after "intense and heartpumping". Maybe if I was in my late teens such as yourself, such games would be ideal, but I'm currently roughly twice that age

• BloodgazeBloodgaze Member Posts: 110
    guild wars is the perfect mmo if you want a linear game with good gameplay and then pvp till your hearts content. depth isnt much isnt the point of that game, but if you are looking for a good dame, i wouldnt recomend FF XI, im a final fantasy fan and was let down with that game. i got nothing to say about wow.
  • VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

I'm looking for something else to try as a sideline to WoW, maybe to be played only an evening or two a week for a change of pace, but perhaps with the potential to become more involved if and when WoW fades away.Any suggestions? Currently I'm considering something like FF XI.

FFXI is a great game overall, but an evening or two a week won't let you feel like you accomplished anything honestly. For now I would second Guildwars, can accomplish things, ppl on anytime to get things done....kinda limiting, but if not playing as a main game that isn't so bad.

Otherwise I would look at the soon to be released games. Getting in on the ground floor has many benefits even if you play kinda casually compared to jumping in 3-6months down the line.

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I have to recommend The Saga of Ryzom...it has depth, both in an intriguing, continuing story and background which is presented through live events rather than static quests, and in the dynamic, living state of the world.

By world, I mean both the environment of the planet Atys and the fluctuating political/social state of the world. The environment includes monsters that seem to have their own lives rather than simply wandering around waiting to be smacked. Carnivores attack herbivores, herbivores fight or flee when attacked by the carnivores, herds migrate with the seasons... There's a very good weather system with rain, snow, day and night cycles, etc. I've never tried WoW myself, but I've heard people who've come from WoW to Ryzom say how much more alive Ryzom feels.

Crafting and foraging/harvesting/mining also have depth. Monsters don't drop swords or money - why the hell would an animal be carrying such things anyway? :::^b:: So almost all items in the game are crafted by players. Animals drop craftable materials like skin, bones, teeth, etc. You also harvest materials from the ground (which is actually bark since Atys is a living planet much like a giant plant in space), and some materials are dependant upon weather conditions, season, time of day, etc. Each type and grade of material has certain attributes, and you combine materials into potentially elaborate recipes to craft items with the attributes you want.

Combat isn't twitchy FPS style, but it has its depth as well. When using offensive elemental magic, for example, you would use the spell your target has least resistance to. And you have to figure out what has resistance to what spells. When using affliction magic, you use the spell most appropriate to the situation (such as Stun to help melees hit the target easier, or Fear to temporarily drive away an add). When using melee, you also have to be mindful of what creatures have armor against what types of damage (slashing, piercing, and smashing).

PvP comes in several forms:
    - There's consensual duels, of course.
    - A small arena in one place.
    - Guild vs. Guild in certain regions.
    - Faction vs. Faction, which is activated by doing a rite (quest) to swear allegiance to a faction (Karavan or Kami...there's also Elias Tryton and neutrality but those aren't tied to FvF), which allows you to turn on your FvF PvP tag (you can't be attacked by players of the opposite faction unless your FvF tag is on).
    - Outpost battles, which though technically Guild vs. Guild are often Faction vs. Faction since guilds tend to call upon their same-faction allies.
    In other words, there isn't global, open/nonconsensual PvP.

The community is small, nothing like WoW's community, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means the community is much more mature, friendly, and helpful. Many people say Ryzom has the best community of any MMO. There's also substantial support for roleplaying.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

you might like EQ2.  they have a trial offer.  since you mentioned instancing

you might like DAOC also but, considering your asking for a somewhat casual game that may not be a good choice.

try EQ2..theyve made some tremendous improvements on casual play and solo gamers..  and the instancing is done ..well.. they've really set the bar on that aspect and kept it in line with having large server populations.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
    > i wouldnt recomend FF XI, im a final fantasy fan and was let down with that game

In what way?

> I have to recommend The Saga of Ryzom...

Sounds like an interesting possibility.

Originally posted by Vyava

I'm looking for something else to try as a sideline to WoW, maybe to be played only an evening or two a week for a change of pace, but perhaps with the potential to become more involved if and when WoW fades away.Any suggestions? Currently I'm considering something like FF XI.

FFXI is a great game overall, but an evening or two a week won't let you feel like you accomplished anything honestly. For now I would second Guildwars, can accomplish things, ppl on anytime to get things done....kinda limiting, but if not playing as a main game that isn't so bad.

Otherwise I would look at the soon to be released games. Getting in on the ground floor has many benefits even if you play kinda casually compared to jumping in 3-6months down the line.

I've already tried Guild Wars, and know it isn't for me.

With regards to your comments on FFXI, I'm not particularly worried about slow advancement. I have played pencil and paper games for many years, and in such games it's not ununsual to play a game weekly for several years without any characters advanching past tenth level (although advancement rate will vary wildly between groups accoridng to the style of the person running the game.) I don't really care if I never get to be uber-powerful, and am in no particular hurry to reach the end game of whichever system I choose.

I am keeping my eye on games in the pipeline, and it's possible something like "The Chronicles of Spellborn" or "Hero's Journey" may be ideal. However I also want to try something else in the shorter tem.

Originally posted by Rayx0r

you might like EQ2.  they have a trial offer.  since you mentioned instancing
    you might like DAOC also but, considering your asking for a somewhat casual game that may not be a good choice.

try EQ2..theyve made some tremendous improvements on casual play and solo gamers..  and the instancing is done ..well.. they've really set the bar on that aspect and kept it in line with having large server populations.

I was under the impression that EQ2 was like EQ, and heavily emphasised raiding beyond a certain level.
  • OmetavianOmetavian Member Posts: 2

Ok, I'll give you the break down of what FFXI is like compared to what you like....

In FFXI you will be amazed at its depth... you see, ill tell you right now, i dont play the game but im a teenager and my mom plays it, this game is deffinatly not for teenagers and more for the older like yourself, and i had to tell you that tell you my mom has been playing this game now for 2 years and has only 2 lvl 75's (highest lvl in the game) I ask her how she can still be having fun in the game and she tells me that "It's amazing how much there is to do, to this day there is still so many things i have not done in the game because it has so much depth its amazing"

I play for escapism, and the occasional feeling of achievement. I enjoy being in a well formed team, where everyone knows their role, but hate having to cope with the incompetent or the immature. I like the size of WoW, the background and the variety, but in some ways it feels too easy.  I also enjoy the occasional instanced pvp, but I'm not attracted to hard-core pvp games where ganking is an ever-present possibility. I know my reflexes aren't perfect, and whilst I have a fair understanding of strategy, I am unlikely to be able to compete with your average experienced FPS player

In FFXI things are not easy and it takes alot of hard work but man, when you do accomplish something it makes you beam with pride. In this game Organization is required at the higher levels and if you dont know your role your not going to get far. There are very few immature people in FFXI especial at the higher lvls because when you reach their, most of the people you will play with will be adults, the teens and kids will quit eventualy because its to hard or to slow (like myself did). FFXI's world is huge, and things will not feel easy in this game, trust me. Their is pvp in FFXI but very very little of it. I myself dont really know much about it, neither does my mother, she doesnt like it so she doesnt do it.

Heres were your going to headbutt with the game, in FFXI alot of times you will be getting parties of between 12-30 people to do sertain missions that you need to do to advance the story in them game, and to get the best equipment.

I'm looking for something else to try as a sideline to WoW, maybe to be played only an evening or two a week for a change of pace, but perhaps with the potential to become more involved if and when WoW fades away.

If your going to play FFXI you will need alot of time on your hands because things can take a long time... thats why i stoped playing, it was taking between 3-4 hours to get a party when i was between the levels 11-23 reason why it takes long for me tho was because i was a warrior, alot of people pick warrior for starting job so there is alot at the lower levels, the chances of you being picked up for a party out of every other warrior is slim. As a whitmage you will be picked up rather quickly tho. Overall what im trying to say is, you cant play this game without having atleast 5 hours a day to play.

Considering from what I have read it seems there are alot of things in FFXI you will like, but a few things you wont, i would suggest you try it.

P.S. sorry I knoe there are mistakes but hey im not perfect, anyways i hope this helped you decide
    I've just ordered FFXI. If that doesn't work out, and nothing new appears on the market, then the next on my list of games to try will be "The Saga of Ryzom".