Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paladins review 8/10

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    jitter77 said:
    I played the over watch beta and it was fun.  I just started playing paladins and I think it is a fun game as well and free.  There is not enough difference to justify $60 vs Free (at least for me).  I have been on dominant teams in Paladins and crappy teams.  There are a lot of attack points.  The good teams spread out and attack from all angles while the crappy ones rush and get blown to pieces.  I have not had any lag problems or problems finding a game yet.  I am bad at FPS games, but with Viktor I can usually top the leaderboard in eliminations, damage, and objective time.  I am also pretty good with Drogoz although I did have a terrible game last time with him.  The only other one I have used in Kinessa and was not very good.  To play competitive mode you need to get 12 champions to level 4 mastery.
    Just as an FYI because I see this a lot here, Overwatch is only $40.  The $60 edition gives you some extra skins and stuff for other Blizzard games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited September 2016
    filmoret said:
    Tsuru said:
    filmoret said:
    But overwatch is not any better.  What are they offering that this game isn't?  So why pay a pricetag on a game when you can play a free version of the same game with better features?
    Ill tell you what they offer. A stable, long lasting game experience, that will continue to bring balance patches and content. 
    You are talking about the developers of Smite and Global Agenda here.  Not some indie studio who hasn't proven themselves.  

You also have the ability to try different builds for champions.  That alone brings a whole new dynamic to this type of game.
    I haven't played OW yet but I'm currently playing Paladins.  The gameplay is pretty solid though I hope they have more map types than just Payload ready for official launch or plan to make more diverse types. 

That said I'm a true believer and fan of Hi-Rez studios.  I have hundreds of hours in Global Agenda, in Tribes:Ascend, and in Smite.  I will probably get hundreds of hours in Paladins too.  I'm not saying that Paladins is better than OW because I don't know and haven't played OW, BUT I do know that Hi-Rez has at least 10+ years in experience with arena team-based shooters and so they know a thing or two on how to make these types of games.  One of these days I will probably try OW, but as long as they keep up development and supporting Paladins for a while then it will continue to scratch that itch. 

I also don't care who copied who, Blizzard or Hi-Rez.  That said I DO feel that Hi-Rez got their ideas way back in 2010 for Global Agenda from TF2 and Tribes and then merged those ideas into which is still one of my all my time favorites.  Paladins to me is just an extension and mix of GA along with Smite.  That's a win for a Hi-Rez fan like me.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    jitter77 said:
    I played the over watch beta and it was fun.  I just started playing paladins and I think it is a fun game as well and free.  There is not enough difference to justify $60 vs Free (at least for me).  I have been on
    Just as an FYI because I see this a lot here, Overwatch is only $40.  The $60 edition gives you some extra skins and stuff for other Blizzard games.
    When you look it up its 60$ but its the console version.  You have to run the battlenet thingy to see the 40$ pricetag.

To me they both play second fiddle to TF2 which is even more polished than OW without the DDOS attacks.
    I haven't played tf2, but I think maybe it was polished 10 years ago, but the game is super old.  As for the DDOS attacks, they've booted me and prevented me from logging in for about 30 minutes total.

Plus I hear the gameplay is a clusterfuck.  Overwatch has definite tactical decisions to make (with tanks that can tank, potentially game-changing ulitmates and a META like MOBAs, and much counterplay).  Paladins is similar in this regard but I think Overwatch is much more refined.
    TF2 has a multitude of game modes and maps. Plus different loadouts with different weapons. TF2 may be an old game but it does not play old and why it is still as popular today as it was on release. Even Blizzard reveres the game.

“Team Fortress 2 was a huge influence on Overwatch,” Blizzard’s Jeffrey Kaplan told me recently, via phone. “You can see that in a lot of the gameplay. We sort of revere not only what Team Fortress 2 did, but also Team Fortress Classic and the original Team Fortress as well.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/271933/Hero_Shooters_Charting_the_rebirth_of_a_genre.php

I think Overwatch is a great game. I just prefer the variety of TF2 more.
    I tried TF2 and couldn't really get into it.  For me it takes too long to learn basics and you end up getting smashed over and over again.  I'm sure with a lot of practice I could enjoy the game but just didn't feel like putting in the effort.  Or maybe its just full of smurfs who like to faceroll new players.  Yes overwatch did a good job and its a fun game.  But compared with Paladins its kinda pointless to even think about overwatch any more.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Paladins is like Overwatch in its own league but I agree overwatch does everything better.

Just like this video below its like a copy of Hanzo. like my precise arrow skills doe?
    thats pretty bad... card system seems cool, but that? eeeh
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    To me they both play second fiddle to TF2 which is even more polished than OW without the DDOS attacks.
    I haven't played tf2, but I think maybe it was polished 10 years ago, but the game is super old.  As for the DDOS attacks, they've booted me and prevented me from logging in for about 30 minutes total.

Plus I hear the gameplay is a clusterfuck.  Overwatch has definite tactical decisions to make (with tanks that can tank, potentially game-changing ulitmates and a META like MOBAs, and much counterplay).  Paladins is similar in this regard but I think Overwatch is much more refined.
    TF2 has a multitude of game modes and maps. Plus different loadouts with different weapons. TF2 may be an old game but it does not play old and why it is still as popular today as it was on release. Even Blizzard reveres the game.

“Team Fortress 2 was a huge influence on Overwatch,” Blizzard’s Jeffrey Kaplan told me recently, via phone. “You can see that in a lot of the gameplay. We sort of revere not only what Team Fortress 2 did, but also Team Fortress Classic and the original Team Fortress as well.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/271933/Hero_Shooters_Charting_the_rebirth_of_a_genre.php

I have no doubt that TF2 is a good game, especially 10 years ago, and I really wish I would've looked into it because I'm sure I would've had a lot of fun playing it.

I don't personally think it's too comparable with Overwatch or Paladins, though, from what I've seen (beyond the specific things both games took from the game).  Overwatch/Paladins play out more like MOBAs+1st person shooter aspect and TF2 plays more like a shooter+stuff.

TF2 may have lots more variety, but that doesn't mean it's polished (in fact, it means the opposite is likely since it's harder to fine-tune a whole bunch of stuff rather than a smaller number of things).

I have no doubt that TF2 is a good game, especially 10 years ago, and I really wish I would've looked into it because I'm sure I would've had a lot of fun playing it.

I don't personally think it's too comparable with Overwatch or Paladins, though, from what I've seen (beyond the specific things both games took from the game).  Overwatch/Paladins play out more like MOBAs+1st person shooter aspect and TF2 plays more like a shooter+stuff.

TF2 may have lots more variety, but that doesn't mean it's polished (in fact, it means the opposite is likely since it's harder to fine-tune a whole bunch of stuff rather than a smaller number of things).
    Oh I didn't realize you haven't even played TF2.  Download it free on steam and look around.  You will realize its just the same exact thing as Overwatch/Paladins with a few differences here and there.
    edited September 2016
    filmoret said:

Oh I didn't realize you haven't even played TF2.  Download it free on steam and look around.  You will realize its just the same exact thing as Overwatch/Paladins with a few differences here and there.
    I've looked at gameplay videos and I disagree.  Have you played Overwatch?

"When you look it up its 60$ but its the console version.  You have to run the battlenet thingy to see the 40$ pricetag."

I assume he's playing on PC since he played Paladins.  It defaults to the $60 price, so I'm informing him the game actually only costs $40 on PC.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Bluehound17Bluehound17 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    filmoret said:
    Paladins is like Overwatch in its own league but I agree overwatch does everything better.

Just like this video below its like a copy of Hanzo. like my precise arrow skills doe?
    We are finding out that Blizzard is the one who copied Paladins and because they had the resources they pushed it out first.
    wow that is shady indeed, but buisness is buisness i guess.... Money is power... which is sad. Rich get richer.
    filmoret said:

"When you look it up its 60$ but its the console version.  You have to run the battlenet thingy to see the 40$ pricetag."

I assume he's playing on PC since he played Paladins.  It defaults to the $60 price, so I'm informing him the game actually only costs $40 on PC.
    Yes I've played all 3 of the games.  TF2 was hard for me to get into because it seemed more difficult.  When you jump into TF2 you feel like a complete noob at first.  Overwatch/Paladins do not feel that way at all.  The hitboxes are smaller.  They are the same game in terms of how they play and how you use the character.  They are different in art style and the hitboxes for Overwatch/Paladins are much bigger.

Its like saying HOTS/LOL/Dota2 are different games.  Yes they are but no they aren't.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    filmoret said:
    Soki123 said:
    Who cares who copied who. The bottom line is OW is a far superior game. It s better controls, feels less clunky. Doesn t have mounts, which essentially play no point at all to the game, except more cosmetic stuff. The cards are meh at best. The combat in OW makes Paladins look like it was done by amateurs. I could go on and on.
    Quite the comedian you are.  It doesn't have mounts.  LOL thats funny right there.  BTW they have the same controls.  Nothing clunky about Paladins.  Maybe its your glasses with blizzard all over them idk.  You could go on and on about pointless stuff.  Accusing Paladins of having useless cosmetic items.  Overwatch has nothing but useless cosmetic items.

No mounts hey, odd I was just on one. Paladins is clunky in the true sense. Didn t say I m into cosmetic in either game, just pointing out the "MOUNTS" in Paladins are useless cosmetics. Sorry but as I said before, in a year or so, this game will be forgotten, and OW will be growing stronger.

I d rather pay 40+ for a good game then play a sub par one for free.

edited September 2016
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:

Yes I've played all 3 of the games.  TF2 was hard for me to get into because it seemed more difficult.  When you jump into TF2 you feel like a complete noob at first.  Overwatch/Paladins do not feel that way at all.  The hitboxes are smaller.  They are the same game in terms of how they play and how you use the character.  They are different in art style and the hitboxes for Overwatch/Paladins are much bigger.

Its like saying HOTS/LOL/Dota2 are different games.  Yes they are but no they aren't.
    I definitely see a lot of similarity between Paladins and Overwatch, but much less between TF2 and the other 2.

Here's a video from Ster, who was a big TF2 streamer who has now moved onto playing Overwatch full time (he is level like 500+ so he plays the game a shitton, I'm level like 180 at 180 hours played) and commentating on the game for tournaments.

It's from 2014, when the game was first announced, and he compares some of the features between tf2 and overwatch (including the blatant similarities).

The main and most obvious difference between TF2 and Paladins/Overwatch is when you pick a hero, it has one set of abilities.  When you face a hero, you know what that hero is capable of.  I personally think this is much better since it allows for proper counterplay, which I think is fundamental in good PVP, but regardless of if you think it's good or not, it's a key difference.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    rodingo said:
    filmoret said:
    Tsuru said:
    filmoret said:
    But overwatch is not any better.  What are they offering that this game isn't?  So why pay a pricetag on a game when you can play a free version of the same game with better features?
    Ill tell you what they offer. A stable, long lasting game experience, that will continue to bring balance patches and content. 
    You are talking about the developers of Smite and Global Agenda here.  Not some indie studio who hasn't proven themselves.  

You also have the ability to try different builds for champions.  That alone brings a whole new dynamic to this type of game.
    I haven't played OW yet but I'm currently playing Paladins.  The gameplay is pretty solid though I hope they have more map types than just Payload ready for official launch or plan to make more diverse types. 

That said I'm a true believer and fan of Hi-Rez studios.  I have hundreds of hours in Global Agenda, in Tribes:Ascend, and in Smite.  I will probably get hundreds of hours in Paladins too.  I'm not saying that Paladins is better than OW because I don't know and haven't played OW, BUT I do know that Hi-Rez has at least 10+ years in experience with arena team-based shooters and so they know a thing or two on how to make these types of games.  One of these days I will probably try OW, but as long as they keep up development and supporting Paladins for a while then it will continue to scratch that itch. 

I also don't care who copied who, Blizzard or Hi-Rez.  That said I DO feel that Hi-Rez got their ideas way back in 2010 for Global Agenda from TF2 and Tribes and then merged those ideas into which is still one of my all my time favorites.  Paladins to me is just an extension and mix of GA along with Smite.  That's a win for a Hi-Rez fan like me.

I had 100s of hours in Global Agenda.  I've always thought is was a very underappreciated mmo.  I still hope that someday we'll see a GA2.  
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Pleasantly surprised by this.  When I played Paladins months and months ago (when you had to buy access), the game was very incomplete and felt like...trash.  I'll check it out again to see if it has indeed improved.
    Soki123 said:
    If you read what you wrote and compare it with what I wrote.  It makes sense that way.  Considering I quoted you when I wrote it.
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    TheHavok said:
    Pleasantly surprised by this.  When I played Paladins months and months ago (when you had to buy access), the game was very incomplete and felt like...trash.  I'll check it out again to see if it has indeed improved.
    Very big difference between now and then. The maps seems more optimized, the card system has been redesigned, and there are a lot more heroes to choose from. 

I find Overwatch a really fun game, but I find myself playing Paladins a lot more. with Overwatch, I felt like there was an excessive amount of time spend on broadcasting/announcing achievements, rewards, and "LOOK WHAT SOMEONE DID" which seems really weird to me. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    DMKano said:
    Elminzter said:
    sucker punch most of the chars looks kinda of similar to ow but blizzard was smart enough to release ow first, imo just a nail into the coffin, well imo paladin should have re-desgn the characters or it will constantly live in the shadows of ow...
    Any hero FPS game at this time will live in the shadows of OW no matter what they do.

OW's marketing budget for OW alone is higher than the the entire dev budget of most of these competitor games put together.

When going against Blizzard (5000+ employee billion dollar company) most other companies are a bump in the road.

Sometimes games have momentum and the backing of giants, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for others.  I admit, I'm an OW fan, but gonna give Paladins a go.  With these types of games, there is room for more than just one in my lineup.  MMOs, I only have one or two, but these in/out games, I can have bunches.

I self identify as a monkey.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    mgilbrtsn said:
    DMKano said:
    Elminzter said:
    sucker punch most of the chars looks kinda of similar to ow but blizzard was smart enough to release ow first, imo just a nail into the coffin, well imo paladin should have re-desgn the characters or it will constantly live in the shadows of ow...
    Any hero FPS game at this time will live in the shadows of OW no matter what they do.

OW's marketing budget for OW alone is higher than the the entire dev budget of most of these competitor games put together.

When going against Blizzard (5000+ employee billion dollar company) most other companies are a bump in the road.

Sometimes games have momentum and the backing of giants, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for others.  I admit, I'm an OW fan, but gonna give Paladins a go.  With these types of games, there is room for more than just one in my lineup.  MMOs, I only have one or two, but these in/out games, I can have bunches.
    Agreed. It seems rather consistent that in each online game genre there is one title that dominates it and two titles that hold a distant second and third place. Of those two titles one has a pretty tight hold on the position, while the other position tends to change hands between a community favorite and the latest thing being marketed. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  

I own both, and play Paladins. Just think it s a very far second to OW. OW just feels right, Paladins is just not as good in every way. Can t say it any other way.

I actually like Paladins too.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Paladins is better than Overwatch.
    Paladins peaked at 56k today.  Makes me wonder how high that number will get.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Can't seem to find a champion that fits my combat liking atm.

I'm mostly being drago whenever I get the chance to pick him but his ulti sucks ass.