Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky Marketing Is Probably Illegal

ZettaBytesZettaBytes Member UncommonPosts: 37
The thread title is taken from the title of the video.

Comments

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

Care to explain the video? I have currently have no way of viewing it, only read text.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited September 2016
    Pathetic vid and there is nothing anyone can do. Contrary to the jaded pc plums who thought nms was a mmo most are happy with the game. 
    Post edited by SavageHorizon on

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    the legality concerns of marketing is exactly why developers say the things the way they say them and it would be wise for gamers to listen closely and develop the skills to filter bullshit.

Example:

'asteroid landing is working at the moment'
    is different from
    'asteroid landing is working and will be in the game'

The first means they are working on it and it appears to be working and it may or may not be in the end game.

The second is a statement of more commitment.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Meh, slamming NMS is so last month, its already dead and buried. ;)

Well except for console players who regularly struggle to find something good to play. :p

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:

Actually it IS a thread from last month until Rhoklaw brought it back :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually it IS a thread from last month until Rhoklaw brought it back :)
    It is fairly amusing though, i don't know about other countries, but NMS did breach advertising laws in the UK at least, but at this point, does anyone even care?
    It is old news and the game is pretty much history now, even Hello Games isnt talking about the game. :p
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    dupe thread to mine from a month ago - just 5 posts down /smh. learn to check first

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/455627/is-hello-games-guilty-of-illegal-false-marketing#latest

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I wonder though that whether there was a good game underneath it all but this controversy has buried it. These days with so much traffic and facilities to enable the blacklisting of a game whether it was warranted or not , it's moot to even consider whether some of it was just plain hysteria.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    There are no advertising laws in the UK. The advertising standards authority (the ASA) is an advisory board with no clout except to get ads changed and the only way anyone could sue is if the features on the box/product didn't match what was inside it. Videos, previews and the like are totally irrelevant as its what's on the product of you have a genuine legal leg to stand on. In uk advertising there is a just a code and if it is breached, the ASA will get the company to change an advert. What's already sold form a misleading ad is done, and too bad.

In saying that, what misleading adverts have there been? As o said, interviews and videos and previews are not adverts.