Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

View Stabilization Vid, Gunplay looking better

spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
Not sure what this vid came out with (ATV, or something) but the gunplay is starting to really come along and look more polished.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15511-Sneak-Peek

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    No more head bobbing like a drunk .. very smooth ... and a wicked killer in action. Nice one.

I like the small details like playing with physics shooting a pyramid of bottles .....

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    It looks loads better but it's pretty pretentious to call it "Vision Stabilization" as though its some grand new technique when all they appear to be doing is decoupling the first person view from the third person head bobbing.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    Here's the YT video of it:

Yeah looking much better on the FPS side. Good to see the FPS AI in action at once and some other bits. Looking far more polished.

"Guys I swear I heard something."
    "Was it SM?"
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    It looks good.

I guess there's a very good reason why they did go to all these lengths instead of using 1st person animations already made for CryEngine, but I still can't help getting the feeling that they've just went around implementing 1st person animations to a CryEngine game in the most complicated way possible.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Vrika said:
    It looks good.

I guess there's a very good reason why they did go to all these lengths instead of using 1st person animations already made for CryEngine, but I still can't help getting the feeling that they've just went around implementing 1st person animations to a CryEngine game in the most complicated way possible.
    Without seeing the code, you can't claim that "it is the most complicated way possible" to do it. It wouldn't be the first time a developer has to rewrite part of the animation system to achieve their goal. For example, BioWare had (middle of the page) to update the animation system of Frostbyte when they tried to implement quadrupeds in Dragon Age Inquisition.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Looks much better but damn that AI is dumb as bricks right now lol
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    MaxBacon said:
    Here's the YT video of it:

Yeah looking much better on the FPS side. Good to see the FPS AI in action at once and some other bits. Looking far more polished.

"Guys I swear I heard something."
    "Was it SM?"
    Nice video.  I notice a lot of their vids have this open world PvP/Outlaw theme.  A lot of people will see this and think this is what the game is all about.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Nice video.  I notice a lot of their vids have this open world PvP/Outlaw theme.  A lot of people will see this and think this is what the game is all about.
    Well, it is quite implied it is a showcase of much improvements on the FPS area.

From what I see especially on the big reveals and showcases, they do highlight the group play, you and some people on a crew adventure, not much of the PvP setting yet.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Looks good but movement is crap.  It doesn't even look like he's using a mouse more like a keyboard to move the screen.  I wonder why he never missed a bottle even hitting like 6 in a row.  Or they just made the hitboxes super large.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    or ran a script...
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    filmoret said:
    Looks good but movement is crap.  It doesn't even look like he's using a mouse more like a keyboard to move the screen.  I wonder why he never missed a bottle even hitting like 6 in a row.  Or they just made the hitboxes super large.
    After watching the video I'm pretty sure he's using a controller. Camera movement is just too linear for mouse. You can clearly see a noticable mouse acceleration too especially when he stops moving the view and the movement floats on and diminishes at the same pace everytime he stops. Hopefully it can be turned off because I find it annoying when games force it even if the controls are set to mouse+keyboard.

The FOV is also too low. I rarely feel dizziness in 3D games but about 2-3 minutes into this demo I started to feel uncomfortable due to the FOV and the blur effects. It's almost like looking at the scene through a keyhole. I guess it's just a temporary optimization issue that made them set the FOV that low to achieve a higher FPS.
    edited September 2016
    rertez said:
    After watching the video I'm pretty sure he's using a controller. Camera movement is just too linear for mouse. 
    Yeah it is a controller. They usually go with a controller when it is FPS stuff. So no surprise he doesn't miss a bottle.

Also there's console controls that allow us to disable the blur for now, makes it better.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    When at gamescon, I think they guys driving the demo were also using gamepads. I use one alot, as well, though I have an X55. Sometimes, for a quick session, they are just universally convenient. 

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Ack. . I hope I don't have to do too much FPS stuff in the single player game.  I don't mind it and enjoy many FPS games.  I just am not sure I want the two blended that way. .  immersive. I guess.  Wait and see.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Aethaeryn said:
    Ack. . I hope I don't have to do too much FPS stuff in the single player game.  I don't mind it and enjoy many FPS games.  I just am not sure I want the two blended that way. .  immersive. I guess.  Wait and see.

They said that around a third of the single player game is FPS stuff from what I remember.

Min 12 of the most recent ATV: 

More in-depth and technical look at this whole improvement made to the game and how SC actually does this 1st and 3rd person views unlike most games, what took trial and error to get it right.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    I hope they implemented it on tweened "springs" to have the option to let it look more natural and less on rails.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

I was never aware of the way chicken/birds  do their visual stabilization and it was pretty cool to see that Youtube video about chicken head tracking embedded in this AtV - and how the team looked to the animal world to solve a game design problem.

It is also amazing for me how complex the human body is and how much internal processing is being done by our brain to convert the external (visual) input into what we perceive as the world around us. And that the "raw data" is nothing like the way we are used to experience it after our brain has processed it.

BTW i enjoyed the concise step-by-step way that  Ivo Herzeg the lead visual engineer explained the ongoing work on that topic.

Have fun
    I don't want to be a chicken...

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

spankybus said:
    Then feel free to enjoy headbobbing extreme.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    spankybus said:
    Then feel free to enjoy headbobbing extreme.

Have fun

www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    All this information and still so tight-lipped about SQ42.  Well the Convention is coming the news better be big and good.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    filmoret said:
    <snip>  I wonder why he never missed a bottle even hitting like 6 in a row.  Or they just made the hitboxes super large.
    Take 135 .... 1,2,3,4,5, at last 6 in a row.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    The tech behind that is easy ... you know where the body is and you know where the rest is ... so just subtract the Delta Vector3 of unwanted things from the body and feel free to add a height ... result would be on rails cause the head movement is not there anymore ... funny result would to subtract 66% of the value and 33% tween with a 80% sinus curve to the desired value ... would make things more natural

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.