Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass thread deletions? Or just forum bugs?

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
I've been playing Tree of Savior lately, so I checked the game's forum on this site.  It's never been the most active forum, but it used to have quite a few threads.  Now look at it:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/tree-of-savior

Four.  Down from maybe 20 or so.  For comparison, here's one of my recent threads that isn't listed:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/455785/interesting-game-mechanics#latest

If you go to the thread, it says it's in the Tree of Savior forum, but the Tree of Savior forum page doesn't list it.  Is this a bug or are you deleting threads or what?  It's hard to imagine that moderators would suddenly decide that a bunch of long-dead, non-controversial threads violated some unknown rule.

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    It isn't just tree of saviour, tons of games forums have their threads missing or deleted.  I check out the Revelation online forums and all their threads are missing as well :

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/revelation-online

For comparison, here is a recent thread I have been posting in. 

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/455314/what-we-know-revelation-online/p1

As you can see it's missing(and allot more threads are missing)
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Not really a fan of how the game forums are now organized either..

We all focus on most recent discussions, so I kind of feel like the game forums should be arranged similarly. Now they are just taken up pointless space with games I don't even recognize.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Nightlite said:

We all focus on most recent discussions, so I kind of feel like the game forums should be arranged similarly. Now they are just taken up pointless space with games I don't even recognize.
    If you're looking for information on a particular game, you want to be able to find the threads about that particular game.  Finding a hundred threads about random other games doesn't do you any good, and having one thread about the game you're looking per per hundred threads about random other games mixed together is far too low of a signal to noise ratio to be useful.
    edited September 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Nightlite said:

If you're looking for information on a particular game, you want to be able to find the threads about that particular game.  Finding a hundred threads about random other games doesn't do you any good, and having one thread about the game you're looking per per hundred threads about random other games mixed together is far too low of a signal to noise ratio to be useful.

Agreed, but clearly they don't like the way it was with easy access to all the games. So instead of the terrible way it is now, I though I would suggest a change that might work a little better.
    Nightlite said:
    Quizzical said:
    Nightlite said:

Agreed, but clearly they don't like the way it was with easy access to all the games. So instead of the terrible way it is now, I though I would suggest a change that might work a little better.
    Such as?  Just "make it vaguely better" is a lot less helpful than "this particular change will make it better".
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Forum issues after some maintenance yesterday.

The issue is affecting the thread list, the threads still exist however some just disappear or aren't even updating on the thread list.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    That is a lot of missing threads . It cannot be deliberate it must be a bug.
    Chamber of Chains
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Nightlite said:

Can you elaborate on this? Not sure what you mean.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Some threads may be missing (can't confirm) but a huge number of threads that were gone before are now present!  This makes me very happy.

The best way to get to a game's forums is to now go to the Game List, click on the game you're interested in, then click on "Forum".

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Some threads may be missing (can't confirm) but a huge number of threads that were gone before are now present!  This makes me very happy.

The best way to get to a game's forums is to now go to the Game List, click on the game you're interested in, then click on "Forum".
    I just checked Uncharted Waters Online, and that forum is back now:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/uncharted-waters-online

I'm guessing that game forums now rely on topic tagging the original threads rather than having separate forums.  They presumably went back and tagged the many old threads that were deleted when they moved to the new forums, but haven't tagged the ones created since then.  Instead of searching for which forum something is posted in, it searches for tags, and so it doesn't find the newer threads.  If they tagged the newer threads, too, that could fix the problem.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Actually the new search under "Categories" that they just added starts filtering as soon as you start typing... I like that better
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    Looks like everything is slowly being fixed, so that is great news. 

Thanks so much mmorpg.com.. :)
    This issue should be resolved now. Let us know if you're still having any issues!
    MikeB said:
    Nightlite said:

Can you elaborate on this? Not sure what you mean.

In my eyes " The Pub at MMORPG.com" absolutely owns the recent discussions, and recent discussions absolutely own most of the forum traffic.

The game forums were already somewhat annoying to keep track of new posts, and traffic was significantly lower; in fact a lot of game specific posts just end up in the pub anyways.

Now with the recent change all you see on the forum landing page are games that start with a number or an A.. game forums take another hit, while Forum Q&A archives still have easy access and top billing.

Why not just drop everything under general discussions into the drill down like it's already setup, keep recent discussions, and do the same for games. So you end up with two recent discussion sections and the attached drill downs for their perspective forums. Then undo what you did with the game forums, and put it back in "A-D" style drill downs.

my 2cents.

It looks like it's fixed now.  And better yet, the threads that vanished with the move to the new forums are back now.  Thank you.

I'd like to see everything in Miscellaneous promoted to a main level subforum, or at least have the main forum page give a complete list of everything in Miscellaneous, like how the subforums under General Gaming are listed there.  Having things hiding under Miscellaneous, people might not realize that they're there.  For a while, I thought the hardware forum was gone entirely.

This might be harder, but I'd like to see a "My Games" section that lets a user pick the games he wants to follow the forums from, and bundles all threads from the game-specific forums there.  That way, you could follow several games that you're interested in without having to check each one separately.
    Quizzical said:

I'd like to see everything in Miscellaneous promoted to a main level subforum, or at least have the main forum page give a complete list of everything in Miscellaneous, like how the subforums under General Gaming are listed there.  Having things hiding under Miscellaneous, people might not realize that they're there.  For a while, I thought the hardware forum was gone entirely.

Done.
    MikeB said:
    Quizzical said:

Done.
    And now they're listed.  Thank you.