Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Happening!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageIt's Happening!

This week our own Timothy Eisen plucks 7 significant development accomplishments from the September 9th update to field dress (that’s politically correct speak for disembowel).

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    I'd like to see actual tech demo for targetable body parts.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    edited September 2016
    Plenty of games have had some form of that, much less so MMOs. Asherons Call does come to mind for MMOs though because it's high, mid, low strikes that could hit head, chest, and legs.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Deivos said:
    Plenty of games have had some form of that, much less so MMOs. Asherons Call does come to mind for MMOs though because it's high, mid, low strikes that could hit head, chest, and legs.
    Yeah, most MMOs don't use it so it wont affect the performance but regular single and 2 players games (particularly fighting games) have used this one way or another since the Commodore 64.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good feature as long as you use the armor of the point you hit instead of the whole bodies arnor, this way you ccan spot a weak place and strike it (which is sweet). I am just surprised that AoC didn't use it since it had so good collision detection.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Interest Rising!

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    All that, and Andrew got married, too!
  • Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Yay !!!
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I did not even know that they were doing something like that -- the island system. That's pretty awesome.

CU's choice of building their entire system from scratch seems to be giving them a massive advantage over the other crowd-fund games. It's just a shame that it's so far from release(same for the other upcoming games).
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I just want assurances that this will not allow any kind of x-server crap. The thing that made Daoc great was realm pride.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363
    edited September 2016
    I almost lost confidence, but after the last month we are back on track and: Obi-Wan Mark Jacobs you're our only hope! At least now that Andrew is floating on a pink fluffy cloud lost in love and writing sugar coated letters for his wife instead of hardcore code!!!!!

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Viper482 said:

I just want assurances that this will not allow any kind of x-server crap. The thing that made Daoc great was realm pride.

Did you not read it? That's exactly what's happening lol
  • astraycatastraycat Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited September 2016
    Viper482 said:
    It won't. The cross server they're talking about is purely on the tech side, a way to improve performance by sharing /distributing load.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Viper482 said:

Ummm, it did not say that at all. Troll elsewhere.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • EightBitNinjaEightBitNinja Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Viper482 said:
    They have stated in the past that you can only play one faction per server, and to change factions you have to delete all your characters from a server to do so.  Some of the kickstarter packages even lock your account into one realm as a whole and they even say if you change factions you will lose access to your exclusive items ones deleting your characters.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Is that an actual screenshot from teh game in the first post? If it is the game looks dated
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

Torval said:

Deivos said:

Guild Wars 1 had area specific armour as well. It makes sense and is cool if it's done right.

It did have it, but it mostly only mattered where armor bonus runes were concerned. One of the small nitpicks of their system was that this mechanic was pretty random and there weren't skills designed for targeting specific bodyparts.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Is that an actual screenshot from the game in the first post? If it is the game looks dated.
    I agree but visuals are far from final - it's just an alpha tech demo. Others already explained it, anyway here's developer quote (and if anyone still wonders what the phrase "as one island approaches another" means, the islands will be virtually moving - http://camelot.gamepedia.com/Islands): 

"...here’s a screen shot of just what it could look like as one island approaches another...The cool part here is the tech that is now coming online that is behind that screen shot. What we have now is the ability to have multiple islands, on multiple servers and not just have people be able to see them, but see and interact with them real-time. This is not an optical illusion nor a trick (like just splitting up an island on one server). What you are seeing is another server and what we are testing right now with our IT folks is the ability to see and move between them.

You can see the other players from your server farm just as easily as you would if everybody was in the same server space. Coming up next, making your abilities move from one server to the next one seamlessly. And that is a rather special achievement, not found in any game I’ve worked on or played. Separate server farms (or worlds) will not be a barrier for interaction, including abilities, siege engines, etc. between Realms. This is a big deal, both tech-wise and for our march to Beta 1."

Taken from http://camelotunchained.com/v3/we-survived-dragon-con/

W...aaagh?
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    The forests will be great. Especially at night with an overcast sky.. you will not be able to see beyond the sphere of your own torchlight. I get shivers just thinking about this.

The new server tech seems quite groundbreaking to me. I can not wait to learn more about this feature.

I am ready to start playing...

Nanulak

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Xodic said:

Loke666 said:

Deivos said:

Yeah, most MMOs don't use it so it wont affect the performance but regular single and 2 players games (particularly fighting games) have used this one way or another since the Commodore 64.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good feature as long as you use the armor of the point you hit instead of the whole bodies arnor, this way you ccan spot a weak place and strike it (which is sweet). I am just surprised that AoC didn't use it since it had so good collision detection.

The system seems gimmicky. I agree that each part should have it's own armor class, but if there are no negative affects from wearing heavy/high armor pieces in every area, then essentially there will be no 'weak' points to expose.

Like Mech Warrior, as mentioned, you couldn't put armor every where and still have free tonnage to equip weapons or jump jets. I'm interested to see what they do with it and how it is implemented into an MMORPG setting.

It's good to see this game making progress.

There are other ways to ensure that you're just not impervious. As previously mentioned, AC1 used High/Mid/Low system, and the damage could hit more specific locations. I was crit on my hands once by a Tusker that about killed my Axe/Shield warrior. They also had systems in place to ensure that being in full plate wasn't always the best option.

You had weight to all items and could become encumbered. High strength and/or buffs were needed to really lug around in full plate. There was also different damage types, I think plate was weak to blunt, so if you weren't buffed vs. blunt damage, you would take increased damage. Elemental damage types were also present, like fire, ice, poison, etc. So you had potential to be weak vs. specific elemental damage types as well. Buffing individual armor pieces with Item Magic could be pretty time consuming as well, especially if you had to wand monkey yourself to get increased stats to cast higher tier spells without fizzling.

Towards the end of my tenure in AC1, most mage types were using a robe, plus gloves and shoes to simplify buffing, and they were able to get more than adequate protection from it. Hell, that's part of the reason why 3 magic school Archers became a thing.

Hell, even things like character movement speed, swing speed, dodge rolls, etc, could also be tied into armor systems to allows people to build slow, yet well armored tanks, vs. extremely agile rogue types who would want to stay in leather or even potentially no armor to have more mobility or ability to dodge better.

There's plenty of things they could do to make this a pretty dynamic system.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Viper482 said:

Think he meant server hopping.... SO long as you pick a server and stay there, it will foster server/realm pride is where he is coming from I think..
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    This is great news! Getting more and more excited for this game
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Is that an actual screenshot from teh game in the first post? If it is the game looks dated

If fabulous looks is your main concern, then play BDO or ArcheAge. CU's engine is being developed with huge fuckin' battle first in mind and great looks comes later.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I'm still hype about this one. This is the type of project jat time can be taken. The vision is ahead of the curve.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This is the only indie/crowdfunding mmo I think has a chance to get a decent population.  It's also the only one I think that will actually launch.  I can't wait to hear more about it as the development gets closer to launch.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

Realm pride was awesome in the beginning of DAoC, however once players started running multiple accounts in all 3 realms so they could spy or simply play on the winning side always, a bit of that pride died.
    In the olden days that was what was considered P2W  =)
    That and running a buffbot parked at the port-fort

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018