Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard to Stop Using Battle.Net Name After 20 Years - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard to Stop Using Battle.Net Name After 20 Years - MMORPG.com News

Blizzard has announced that it will gradually begin moving away from the Battle.Net name, a title used for the technology platform behind all of the company's games since 1996. According to the post, the functionality will remain the same, but various services associated with the platform will be rebranded as in Blizzard Streaming and Blizzard Voice.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Looks like someone in Blizzard Marketing finally woke up...

They've been running one of the best-known multiplayer portals for 2 decades, yet the name does not reflect the Blizzard brand at all. What a giant marketing blunder, lol !! :D
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Marketing director needs to be fired....renaming a major identity of blizzard for the past 20 years...facepalm

Archeage EU - Nui

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Rhoklaw said:
    Yes, when they change the name, the world will end due to a global economic collapse. Seriously, the level of drama this century has increased a 100 fold.
    Don't be over dramatic.

If it was a platform name that they'd only used for 3-4 years, that'd be one thing. But 20+ years of brand identification is another. In the end, it won't matter, but it's a strange decision at this time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The Blizzard and Battle.net naming always seemed strange to me. But businesses always love to complicate things. Blizzard is simplifying a lot of their products now a days which is a good thing.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

SBFord said:

Rhoklaw said:

Yes, when they change the name, the world will end due to a global economic collapse. Seriously, the level of drama this century has increased a 100 fold.

Don't be over dramatic.

If it was a platform name that they'd only used for 3-4 years, that'd be one thing. But 20+ years of brand identification is another. In the end, it won't matter, but it's a strange decision at this time.

I could be wrong but methinks @Rhoklaw 's post was a sarcastic response to the one above .....
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Doesn't matter one way or another.  It's like Kentucky Fried Chicken changing to KFC.  Everyone will know and recognize it pretty quick.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    ITS THE END OF THE WORLD (of warcraft) AS WE KNOW IT !!!
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    SBFord said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Don't be over dramatic.

They've got some smart people over there.  I'm sure they've thought of the impact 'ad nauseum'

I self identify as a monkey.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Next Valve is going to rename Steam to Valve Store to avoid any confusion.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well naturally i started before that platform and i have to say,it garnered little notice by me.

Now i knew little of Blizzard at the time but me and the cool kids were hanging out in Heat.net.

We considered Blizzard's platform to be lame,cheap to couldn't care less.At heat.net it offered our own game servers and NOT just homie games like Blizzard does.

Seriously i have no idea how Blizzard ever became popular,the heavy gamer's didn't think much of Blizzard and their platform wasn't any good either,so go figure they had much of a following.

Long winded point is that from a long time gamer's viewpoint,their Battle.net brand has never been much to hang on to.I still remember when Sega and heat.net started to struggle financially and would go down several times a week,not one single person would say "hey let's go over to battle.net,not ever mentioned once.
    On a hunch seeing how much Blizzard rehashes OLD ideas,i would not be the least surprised to see them call it Warcraft.net..../sigh.What is even more amazing is how far Steam has come over the years when compared to a larger more financially strapped Blizzard,it is like night n day,Battle.net being the little kid compared to Steam.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    Well naturally i started before that platform and i have to say,it garnered little notice by me.

Now i knew little of Blizzard at the time but me and the cool kids were hanging out in Heat.net.

We considered Blizzard's platform to be lame,cheap to couldn't care less.At heat.net it offered our own game servers and NOT just homie games like Blizzard does.

Seriously i have no idea how Blizzard ever became popular,the heavy gamer's didn't think much of Blizzard and their platform wasn't any good either,so go figure they had much of a following.

Long winded point is that from a long time gamer's viewpoint,their Battle.net brand has never been much to hang on to.I still remember when Sega and heat.net started to struggle financially and would go down several times a week,not one single person would say "hey let's go over to battle.net,not ever mentioned once.
    On a hunch seeing how much Blizzard rehashes OLD ideas,i would not be the least surprised to see them call it Warcraft.net..../sigh.What is even more amazing is how far Steam has come over the years when compared to a larger more financially strapped Blizzard,it is like night n day,Battle.net being the little kid compared to Steam.

Yeah, I am sure all 9 of you were the real heavy hitters back then. Anyway.

I find myself agreeing with @DMKano on this one, the name had really zero association to Blizzard and Blizzard is a far cooler name. The timing is a bit random (so it seems now, we shall see) but whatever imo a step in the right direction.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:
    Battle.net as a name has zero connection to Blizzard, it makes sense to do away with it. 

It's not even a cool name it has .net in it lol.

I am glad they are ditching it.
    Not a cool name? lol... Who's worried about that lol :P....

Battle.net made sense for the time and games it was created for (warcraft/starcraft I'd assume)...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The Blizzard and Battle.net naming always seemed strange to me. But businesses always love to complicate things. Blizzard is simplifying a lot of their products now a days which is a good thing.
    Not really, initially was it just a platform where Diablo and StarCraft players could find others to play with, a simple multigame lobby. By the time they improved it beyond that the name stuck and more or less all gamers know the name so I can't really see any reason to change it now.

I assume they will drastically change it and that is the reason they will change the name.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Doesn't matter one way or another.  It's like Kentucky Fried Chicken changing to KFC.  Everyone will know and recognize it pretty quick.

I hate KFC on the other hand I loved Kentucky Fried Chicken.  :P
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Never had any issue with them calling it Battle.net. They even created additional association with the "Battle Chest". And it had the charm of having it all under one hood. It was simply Battle.net with various things like online play, friends and then a shop combined. Now they want to use "Blizzard Streaming", "Blizzard Voice" etc.

Thats almost a 180° turn around. Most companies these days strive to combine services and have them known with one name. Valve didn't call their console Valve Machine, they used the Steam brand. Same with the OS and controller. The store actually uses steampowered.com as address, despite mostly being used from inside Steam anyways.

EA created Origin, which also has nothing to do with the parent company. It actually was called "EA Download Manager" at some point, but they decided to use a new name for the service as a whole, instead of having a "EA shop" or "EA friends" or "EA streaming".

Ubisoft uses Uplay, which *could* be Ubisoft Play, but is never used this way. GoG created GoG Galaxy. What does have "Galaxy" to do with GoG besides starting with G?

I can see how they want to create more brand recognition, but stopping using a well known brand and using various lose terms like "Streaming" or "Voice", which also essentially means these things *are* different services, despite that not making much sense imho. Why is "voice" a whole service, when games had voice chat for (probably) decades now, and most use TS or Discord or whatever anyway.

And Google *started* with Google Mail, but prefers Gmail so much that they acquired the rights to that name in several countries after intially having to use Google Mail even after renaming it in general. And Youtube is still Youtube, too, and separate from Google Video.

Blizzard should have opted for a word associated with "Blizzard" in some way as a term for all their services, like Valve basically does with Steam, instead of having them separate. Heck, with "Hearthstone" they actually already have something.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I guess its never too late to make a change.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited September 2016
    Well they are the kings of dumbing down content so making it easier to recognize their brand name should come to no one's surprise.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I never cared why they used different names and I won't care if they change it either.
    Nothing will change for me apart from maybe forgetting the name of the new site, since I've been a battle.net user for decades now.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Wait,  Battlenet is Blizzard?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    filmoret said:
    Wait,  Battlenet is Blizzard?

Blizzard is Battlenet.

Finkle is Einhorn
    Einhorn is Finkle

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

SBFord said:

Rhoklaw said:

Don't be over dramatic.

It doesn't seem so strange to me. 20 years ago it was an extremely abstract proposition. You could even say risky. Today it's something that's real and successful. The distance is no longer needed.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TeccaTecca Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Torval said:
    The first thing I wondered when I heard the news was how this would screw with all the advanced spam filtering Microsoft, Google, and other mail providers have implemented over the years. I can see people getting phished in the transition confusion.
    It wouldn't. There are SPF records, DKIM signing keys, it comes from the official Blizzard domain, and so on. It wouldn't make phishing any different than it is today.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    Battle.net as a name has zero connection to Blizzard, it makes sense to do away with it. 

It's not even a cool name it has .net in it lol.

I am glad they are ditching it.
    Battle.net as a name had zero connotation with Blizzard when they first launched it. Twenty years later it's pretty much synonymous. Messing with something that intrinsic to brand identity is risky, for what gain?
    Why would they decide to do it now ?

Probably because they've dreamt-up some plan to start monetizing it... :D
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    When I was in the Army, we called this sort of crap the work of the "Good Idea Fairy".
  • NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135
    It is probably a result of Blizzard having the unrealistic idea of competing with Staem some day.